/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 11536
1,3 MB, 1520 × 1549
Why didn't we have this one yet?
Well, post what you're cooking/eating, discuss food and its culture in general and we may talk about diets as well if you want to.

I'm not a big cook myself but once in a blue moon I like to do it if the process is not too hard or needs too much time. I think the last time I actually cooked something was a south-western inspired casserole, it was extremely fatty because of the massive amount of molten cheese and I felt bad after eating it.
Today I found some older frozen asian vegetables in my freezer and cooked them together with some frozen sugar bean pods and some curry powder, I never thought cooked vegetables without any meat or carbs could taste so well.
>>
No. 11549
I have discovered half assing Thai/Italian fusion. It's startlingly good. Although, all you really need is just mixing various chilis, curries, mango, coconut, rice, etc with things like pasta, cream sauce, basil and tomato etc.

Easiest way to half ass it with no effort at all is some store bought Bang Bang sauce or https://www.yummly.com/recipes/bang-bang-sauce mixed with something like this https://diligentchef.com/best-store-bought-alfredo-sauce/ and lots of garlic. You can play around with it for various sweet-spicy-savory dishes with the absolute lowest amount of effort possible.

Of course...wait fuck I forgot it. I was making some kind of balsamic reduction and garlic chutney with something else but I have no clue what it was. I think I used an alfredo sauce as the base but I mixed in some other thing. Red pesto? I think it was red pesto? My inability to remember things is horrifying
>>
No. 11574 Kontra
>>11549
Red pesto, alfredo cream, roasted cherry tomato and caramelized onion with balsamic chutney and maybe some black olives.
>>
No. 11578
I made a casserole yesterday. Simply boil some macaroni, but some cheese and cherry tomatoes in between than pour a cream/egg mix with different herbs and pepper over it and cheese on top + rest of the tomatoes and bake for I don't know 35-45min.

In the evening I will prepare some north arabic dish with beef and beans.
>>
No. 14535
1,3 MB, 1728 × 3072
Egypt's posts in the today thread has sparked interest in me to continue this thread.

A japanophile friend of mine frequently praises matcha tea and says that I should to try to get "into" it as well. Is there any merit to his applause of matcha? It seems overpriced to me:
http://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-green-tea/matcha

For reference I usually buy chinese black tea and oolong from the asian supermarket near me (if I do not get it as a gift).
>>
No. 14537
174 kB, 1277 × 1401
38 kB, 720 × 441
>>14535
\o/

Those Asian teas do NUFFIN.
Have you ever tried making Kenyan or Sri Lankan black tea like an Egyptian?

Here is what we do:
In a stainless steel kettle (or iron kettle for authenticity. Extra points for burn marks and dents on the kettle) we pour in the water and let it boil so hard that you'd feel the rage of poseidon. Then we add our serving (I use 1.5 teaspoons), give it a bit of stir and let it boil hard. Then we pour it into a glass exactly like pic 2 and add sugar to taste. I usually drink it far darker than pic 2.
>>
No. 14539
46 kB, 460 × 460
What are your coffee settis?

I'm an absolute plebeian who mostly drinks instant coffee (either black, with coconut oil or milk) since I'm lazy and I don't have any barista equipment anyway

At least we recently got a Nespresso capsule machine so I'm looking forward to trying that at least. At the office I used to work at they had one as well, except the professional line with the pods which were pretty decent. Then again I have really low standards in that regard.

>>14537
How long do you let it draw usually? I find black tea is often too bitter for me, especially if left to draw for too long. I only was able to drink it recently as I started adding milk
>>
No. 14540
>>14537
>Have you ever tried making Kenyan or Sri Lankan black tea like an Egyptian?
No. In terms of middle eastern countries I've had turkish tea quite a few times, and I want to try my hand at preparing it sometime:
http://www.caykur-tea.com/index.php/en/products/preparation.html
>>
No. 14542
>>14537
Can you tell about making كركديه‎ like an Egyptian?
This drink surely got me.
>>
No. 14547
36 kB, 600 × 500
>>14539
>Nespresso
I used to drink those "coins" at work. I my journey started with the pale brown -> dark drown -> pale green -> dark green, I used to drink them all with milk and sugar because back then I did not stand the taste of coffee. Then I discovered French press, and I started with those 0.25kg whole bean packs from starbucks. I was madly in love with the Guatemala and Verona blends, but those were expensive (EUR 8/0.25kg) so I switched to dark Yemeni roast from a very old shop with garden rosemary added to it by a friend of mine, then this friend moved to Germany and I switched to a local franchise that sells coffee for EUR 2/0.25kg and tastes like anus, but it does the trick. I also tried Caribou, a slightly cheaper (EUR 6/0.25kg) variant than starbucks and it I liked it.

>How long do you let it draw usually? I find black tea is often too bitter for me, especially if left to draw for too long. I only was able to drink it recently as I started adding milk
I instantly drink it after pouring it from the kettle, but I usually let it boil for around 2-5 minutes, depending on the mood that I'm in.

>>14540
It takes some practice to get it right, but there are machines that does everything for you and apparently they taste good, pic related.

>>14542
ah, كركديه (каркадьэ/Розелла/Roselle). A very healthy and tasty drink indeed!
You buy a pack of dried roselle leaves, soak them in a bowl of boiling water and let that sit for two hours, then separate the dark red liquid from the leaves with a colander and put in the fridge.
There are teabags of that, but they're very weak compared to the original stuff.
>>
No. 14686
>>14535
Matcha is a nice flavoring for other foods, but as tea it's just meh. If you've ever had green tea flavored ice cream, pastries, etc., just take that flavor and put it in water without any sugar.

Normal green tea is better.
>>
No. 14703
1,6 MB, 1920 × 2560
Meal for today is curry rice. Simple and cheap. Rice with a mix of gravy and keen's mixed in. That is literally it and it tastes good man. Perfect derro food.
>>
No. 14709
Yesterday I had lentil soup with croutons, stir fried vegetables and a seared entrecote that I actually fried by mistake. It was very good.

Today's mean is a mystery, but probably it's going to be the same, or I might be eating in a restaurant because I am seeing a friend of mine who moved to Ireland...and I have no money for that hohohihihahaplskillme.

I am looking for other easy recipes for stir fry vegetables. I improvised and added a hint of BBQ sauce to the mix and it actually turned out great, added sweet chili sauce but I think I added it incorrectly because it did fuck all.

fucking work proxy. I am not posting from England!
>>
No. 14964
Chopped some tofu to little cubes, roasted them in olive oil with walnut splinters, added rice, curry and soy sauce... and had my simple 5minutes meal.
>>
No. 14983
Oyster mushrooms on a swiss cheese sandwich with mayo because lazy. Also had some pretty nice pierogi made the correct way, which is boiled then fried.
>>
No. 14985
For dinner I just had sweet potatoes with butter and maple syrup.

Just put the whole potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. After the time is up, cut them in half, and the flesh will literally fall out of the skin, no hassle involved. Some tips:

-Poke a lot of holes in one side of each potato with a fork. Otherwise there will be a big explosion of sweet potato sugar syrup coming out of one concentrated spot.
-Cook on a layer or two of parchment paper on a cookie tray or wire rack. The potatoes will leak a sugary syrup while cooking, it's better to just toss some paper into the trash than waste time washing a metal sheet.
-Eat by mashing the potatoes and mixing in butter, and add salt to taste. You can add some kind of sweetener, but good potatoes won't require it.

One average sized sweet potato is about 120 calories, so you can eat quite a lot without gaining weight. Sweet potatoes are also very filling. A meal of buttery sweet potatoes + some kind of meat provides a good mix of healthy carbohydrates, fat, and protein.
>>
No. 15494
My mum made a chocolate, pear and cardamom torte for xmas. It was pretty good
>>
No. 15540
62 kB, 610 × 458
62 kB, 610 × 458
KÄSEWÄHE
Ä
S
E
W
Ä
H
E

Huärämongos :DDDD
>>
No. 15596
125 kB, 1080 × 931
Today we (my parents & me) finally finished the last leftovers of the Christmas meal...

We had delicious roasted duck from local farmers with red cabbage, potatoes and mlinci
(thin dried flatbread that is soaked in the poultry fat). The meal looked similar to pic related.
>>
No. 15600
45 kB, 778 × 512
>>
No. 15605
24 kB, 638 × 425
Yesterday I had molokheya (jute mallow, pic related), beef cubes with tomato and garlic sauce and white rice. I slammed all those together on one large plate, added some diced hot chili pepper and dug in like a mad man. Endorphins were released and probably some Tryptophan-like substances were abused. Very naise.
>>
No. 16063
I'm having corn jacks for dinner tonight. They're a bit like a stick of battered cream corn that you either fry or bake (I baked mine). Breddy good tbh, though I dunno if non-Australians could get them. Startpage searching (so not google bubbled to Australian hits) still shows only/mostly Australian results, so it might be our thing only.
>>
No. 16399
31 kB, 480 × 270
I wanted to make a sort of orzo salad with olive oil, tuna, feta, red onions and black olives but then I was so hungry that I ate it while it was still warm. It still tasted good, but next time I need to cook the orzo beforehand and let them cool and then I could also add some greens. I will do that with the leftovers tomorrow.

Pic only vaguely related
>>
No. 16402
>>16399
The mix of ingredients sounds good. No other spice? or a bit of lemon juice to it?

It should also work well with normal pasta I think.
>>
No. 16403
>>16402
I added a bit of parsley just for the looks of it, the ingridients are very flavorful by themselves already. But lemon juice sounds like a nice idea to make it less "heavy", I'll try it tomorrow.
>>
No. 16405
>>16403
parsely sounds fitting, salt and pepper are added as well? I will try the mixture myself on friday or so.
>>
No. 16407
>>16405
Just a little bit of salt added to the orzo while cooking. The feta is probably salty enough that you don't really have to add any. Pepper would be also too much IMO

>I will try the mixture myself on friday or so.
Nice, good luck!
I can also recommend this recipe (for which I got the orzo initially): http://cookbookcrusher.blogspot.com/2015/11/toasted-nut-orzo-achewood-cookbook.html
Very simple and tasty, though I only used almonds and no pecans when I made it
>>
No. 16409
>>16407
That looks kinda weird. I'm not sure if I want to experiment on that, rather conservative with my taste buds - in some areas of taste at least.

Every then and now I think of a Jugendstil cook book which was/is for sale on ebay. But my curiosity cannot win the fight against my inner budget administrator so far.
>>
No. 16495
24 kB, 319 × 303
>>16407
I made your recipe. It's quite tasty and I will do it again and refine mix of the ingredients.

I put the cooked pasta in cold water. Then added everything + pepper and drizzled some lemon olive oil I have here over it in addition to normal olive oil. and some chicken broth, a cheat and a habit of my ex gf which I sometimes do now myself

Next time I would put more olives had kalamata and drizzle some more oil from both oils... and overall more ingredients for a better pasta/other ingredients mix.
>>
No. 16510
88 kB, 1600 × 2240
>>16495
Noice, glad it worked out. By chicken broth do you mean just adding the powder?

Lots of oil is definitely necessary. Adding some more igredients also sounds like a good idea, especially to avoid dizziness from eating too much pasta at once.

My plan for next week is to try making some lemon curd.
>>
No. 16517
>>16510
>By chicken broth do you mean just adding the powder?

Yup. You won't notice when their is a bit of wetness/fluidity in this case the oil and tuna

>Lemon Curd
I've tasted one that could be bought. Way to sour and kind of akward. I like lemons also eaten raw pretty much and citrus fruits in general but I couldn't handle lemon curd.
>>
No. 16728
762 kB, 4160 × 3120
Improvised some sort of vegetarian caesar salad which turned out very tasty, probably mostly due to the ready-made Parmesan dressing

>>16517
>Way to sour and kind of akward.
I hope it turns out more sweet, I'm really not a fan of overly sour stuff
>>
No. 16737
912 kB, 1746 × 3104
936 kB, 1746 × 3104
844 kB, 1746 × 3104
893 kB, 1746 × 3104
I'm hooked on doing pizzas again. Trying to get a good NY Style.

I started last summer I think. It's addictive to make pizzas, once you chase the perfect self made. it's really science and thus a challenge.

The first as an ok melt and the crust/dough is really nice and chewy, a bit bread like. I heard a good NY tastes like this.

Yesterday night I couldn't sleep and was lurking the pizzamaking.com forum and I found out that a thin tomato sauce gives a better, NY like melt to the cheese. And it's true, a thick heavy sauce let the cheese melt different.
>>
No. 16738
1,3 MB, 3104 × 1746
897 kB, 1746 × 3104
878 kB, 1746 × 3104
>>16737
The second turned out better. I used a less hydrated dough than yesterday as the dough stuck to my "peel" a quadradic piece of carton so it was more difficult to stretch out. But then it was easier to toss, I flipped it in the air like in a pizza joint, it did not so much as it should to the dough stretch, I think the low hydration is at fault.
>>
No. 16744
>>16738
I approve. Looks like you got the crust right you just need the right cheese melt. It shouldn't look too watery or greasy on top, preferably with just a hint of seasoning and golden brown imo. But of course, it's a pizza. One of those things almost impossible to fuck up but requires skill to master.
>>
No. 16745
>>16737
Oh and also yeah, just a bit crisp on the outside with chewy, doughy crust. Done right the crust is almost the best part. I will never understand people who discard the crust. Also a lot of places use corn, I forget what it's called on the bottom like a gritty corn meal.
>>
No. 16747
32 kB, 304 × 288
>>16745
>just a bit crisp on the outside with chewy, doughy crust

Exactly how it turned out. You can do bread with this dough as well, just need to handle it a bit different, more hydration.

>cornmeal

Yeah I know what you mean, have tried it once a long time ago when I also had a take on a chicago deep dish. Still have enough left. I will try it instead of flour on my peelordered a wooden one today so I can finally ditch that piece of carton with a shitty vinyl inside next time. Might even work better as an anti-stick substance. With the carton piece, I need too much flour which is noticeable when you eat the pizza. Reducing that is another point to work on during my chase for the perfect home made NY pizza
>>
No. 16758
>>16738
Do you make everything from scratch? Like your own dough e.t.c.?

For some reason you inspired me to make my own pizza for the firs time ever, do you have a recipe ready which you can share? I like all kinds of pizza.
>>
No. 16759
>>16758
This is recipe i follow and that i was taught.

Tomato sauce
>chop onions
>chop garlic
>fill a pot with some olive oil
>add a bay leaf and the chopped onions and garlic
>let fry for some minutes and stir
>if it's tomato season, chop the tomatos and add them on the pot. if not use, empty a tomato can on the pot
>let the tomato fry for some minutes along with the rest and stir
>add white wine that covers everything, and you may also add salt and oregano if you want to
>let everything boil in low fire for at least 90 minutes
>afterwards remove the bay leaf and crush everything with a mixer

Dough

>put flour in a counter/bowl
>dig a hole with your hands in the middle
>break an egg into the hole, add salt and pour some olive oil
>put some water heating, but don't let it reach boiling temperature
>with your hands or a fork start mixing the egg and olive oil with the flour
>once is mixed pour the hot water little by little on the flour and keep using the hand to unify everything
>once you have all the flour mixed pour some flour on you hands and on the conter and start kneading
>add more flour if it's still too stick, but don't over do it
>you can stop kneading when you see that the dough is all homogenous, doesn't stick to anything and when you press it with you index finger, doen't stretch again

If you want you can leave the dough to rest for a couple of hours to have a better flavour, but you can stretech it right away with the dough roller.
Cheese and everyting else is up to you.

Perhaps tehre's better recipes out there...but that's how i was taught.
>>
No. 16762
88 kB, 252 × 209
>>16758
Yes, everything is from scratch. But getting to where I am is not so easy, it cost me quite an amount of frustrating attempts.

>https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

These people are obsessed with pizza.

>NY Style

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=24.0

One of the threads I read thru lot of unnecessary stuff
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.0

In this thread I found the dough formula for a dough that can be made to pizza within 24h hours
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39200.0

>AT/Br 100.00%
>Water 66.00%
>Oil 2.00%
>Salt 2.00%
>L-DMP 2.00%
>Sugar 1.00%
>IDY 0.40%

So what you do is you get flour, I used all purpose flour for the one yesterday, but I often use pizza flour, tipo 00, which has a high amount of gluten high protein amount, 12g/100g

300g are e.g. the 100% from there you deduce all your other dough ingredients in % and in gthus a scale is mandatory, the water in g should be luke warm.

First you mix the flour and nearly all of the water just until eveything is mixed well. let it rest for 15-20min. Then add the rest of the water in which you put your instant dry yeast (IDY) first, then oil I tend to use more oil because it's easier to stretch, salt etc the l-dmp, is low diastatic malt powder, it helps with the browning in home ovens and gives the dough a nice texture, I think about skipping it since it makes my pizzas too brown given that the cheese needs to melt some minutes.

The dough will be super wet with 66% percent water yesterday I had 58% or 60%, more % of oil and salt too. But I will go up to 61% or 63% next time, you need to fold the dough for 10min or so. Only for the last two attempts I was able to fold the dough so that is gets dryer and silky with time and thus waaaay less sticky. Folding means getting dough from below on top of it again and again, for like 10min as I said or until it's silky and non sticky.

Then I let the dough rest for at least 3h up to 6h at room temperature, covered with a wet towel or just plastic wrap.

then I stretch the dough by hand doing what he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J5Pvz4XkYk

He uses oil on the bottom, ofc the opening of the dough by that air drift will fail with you and me I think, it needs training, I'm getting a bit better at it, often times the dough can rip by doing so when you have a bad dough. You can knuckle them like Frank does at 1.45, that's the best way to get it thin as beginner. But even there you must be careful. That is why I use more oil, it makes the do stratchy I read.

Then you but your opened pizza on a peel like Frank does, put flour or cornmeal on it before so you can toss it easy in to your oven home oven on highest temperature with mine is 250°, metal sheet on lowest position and then slide the pizza into the super hot metal sheet, 20min pre heat the oven with the sheet. My sheet likes horrible by now as I never cleaned it

The tomato sauce is made by passata or canned and peeled tomatoes that you crushed. As I mentioned, adding a bit of water lets the cheese melt benefit to a can of peeled tomatoes I add a tea spoon of sugar, some salt and pepper, dried oregano...you can add a bit of garlic or dried basil, means easier and more evenly melted

When you slid the pizza into the oven you wait for 5-9min depending on the cheese melt and browning and then you have a home made pizza.

The process has lots of crucial steps which will have an influence on the outcome starting with the dough, but also your oven and the sauce consistency can have an impact.
It needs some attempts until it gets really good. I was quite frustrated often, like when the pizza stucks to your peel and cannot slid into the oven. make sure to jerk your peel when you put the pizza onto it so see it's loose, do the same after the tomatoes those and then quickly put the cheese on it and jerk again and then slid into the oven.

If you use non shredded mozzarella - these small wet balls - crush them with your hands into small pieces and use a paper towel to soak up the wetness of the cheese.

You cannot let a dough rise in a fridge for 24-72h even and then put it out 2h before, can add more flavor to the dough, the malt powder also does at flavor I think.
>>
No. 16763 Kontra
>>16762
I forgot, from the 300g of flour you can make to small pizzas by splitting your whole risen dough ball in half and form two balls, lets them sit for 15min then process further like Frank does in the video.
>>
No. 16764 Kontra
>>16763
Oh and I put olive oil into my tomato sauce, too.
>>
No. 16830
>>16762
That's great, I will try it out this week, I'll post back, thank you very very much.
>>
No. 16906
134 kB, 1088 × 642
963 kB, 4160 × 3120
I did way too much chili cheese nachos and ate it all by myself. Feeling very powerful right now but also starting to feel the heartburn.
>>
No. 16936
521 kB, 680 × 445
>>16906
When you read a brief anglo recipe and have to convert imaginary units for temperature first.
>>
No. 16942
>>16936
Pffft if druggies can do it in their head then so can you.
>>
No. 16943
>>16936
For baking temperatures(~400F) you can just divide by 2 as a rule of thumb
>>
No. 16986
>>16942
>>16943
Jokes aside, it just pisses me off that I have to google it and theres no decadic rule for that.
If I have to google how many K are 0°C again it's okay, because it is my fault that I didn't remember a quasi-magic and very important universial number in a sensible system. But remembering it's 32°F...? WTF?
>>
No. 16987
>>16986
You can remember that -40 F is -40 C instead :^)
>>
No. 16990
>>16986
The offset between K and C is no more magical than water.
>>
No. 16994
>>16986
Because mildly inconveniencing everyone is, much like the best rule of government, the best rule of cooking.
>>
No. 17102
1,5 MB, 2304 × 1728
232 kB, 500 × 500
Soon going into le oven.
>>
No. 17113 Kontra
we have a cooking thread already, berndette.
>>
No. 17115
I can forgive the weebshit posting because of your ingredient choices. Noice.
>>
No. 17121
1,3 MB, 1728 × 2304
>>17113
Haven't noticed.

Anyways, heres the end result
>>
No. 17125
how often do u make pidser lel
>>
No. 17126
>>17125
I'm not the pizza Swiss.
>>
No. 17203
639 kB, 4160 × 3120
The lemon curd turned out quite nicely, sour but not too sour. Doesn't look like much but tastes good on some cookies with tea.
>>
No. 17258
>>17102
>>17121
Are those really light green chilies? Don't really see them that colour over here if so. Looks breddy tasty either way.

Following all this pizza talk over the past few days has made me want to try my hand. Maybe I will at some point in the near future, could be fun.
>>
No. 17259
I tried mixing mango chutney, pesto, chili oil and balsamic reduction drizzle. It was surprisingly not too bad.
>>
No. 17260
>>17203
This also looks good but I know my limits :-DD

What kind of biscuits are those? They look a bit like malted milks which are ebin.
>>
No. 17263
306 kB, 1600 × 1600
39 kB, 500 × 450
>>17260
>This also looks good but I know my limits :-DD
Thanks, but what limits do you mean?

>What kind of biscuits are those?
Just some regular butter biscuits (pic 1 related). They are a bit hard, similar to shortbread, so I'd actually rather just dip them in the tea next time. I've never tried proper malted milks, but I think they are similar to these Russian ones (pic 2 related) which I'd agree are very ebin.
>>
No. 17266
>>17263
I mean that I can't make sweets to save my life. Savoury to an extent, yes, but not sweets. Something about them just eludes my every attempt to make them work, let alone taste good.

I also dunno if they're similar to those Russian biscuits because I've not had them. Perhaps though. They're just a nice plain and simple biscuit with no frills. Suits me nicely. Fancier stuff like Venetians also taste incredible but I do them in moderation and do seem to just prefer simplicity most of the time
>>
No. 17286
>>17266
What how?
>butter
>sugar
That's all you really need to know. Possibly eggs, flour, fruits. Hey are there any strange candies like involving tomato, avacado, onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini etc? If pumpkin pie is a thing I bet you can make delicious onion and tomato candies and avacado pies.
>>
No. 17304
>>17266
Haha, fair enough. Lemon curd is really super easy though, that's why I decided to try it as I'm very much an amateur cook myself.

Maybe I'll actually have to attempt baking some of those malted milks myself, as the original seems to be hard to come by around here.
>>
No. 17333
>>17263
>russian
Those ones are ukrainian looks like in language

>Печиво корiвка
On tussian would be
>Печенье коровка
>>
No. 17341
331 kB, 1200 × 501
>>17333
You're right of course, but there is also pretty much sames in Russian
>>
No. 17453
>>17304
>>17304
>Maybe I'll actually have to attempt baking some of those malted milks myself, as the original seems to be hard to come by around here.

This.
But maybe the SEA/India shop has them. They have a stock of British products, not sure if it is common for former colonial countries to eat malted milks besides Australia
>>
No. 17483
29 kB, 640 × 351
Did you know, that USA so big we also have C-A-V-I-A-R?
>>
No. 17500
>>17483
I will never relinquish my opinion that it is an utterly lawless country where such a thing as Ketchup Caviar is allowed to exist
>>
No. 17501
>>17500
It's actually a little bit of a joke. There is no caviar involved. It's ketchup which looks like caviar.

Tremendously disgusting still. Ketchup is one of the worst things ever to put on or in your food. BBQ-Sauces are an exception.
>>
No. 17502
>>17501
>Ketchup is one of the worst things ever
it's good on spaghettiburgers though.
>>
No. 17506
>>17501
I have to agree with the other German: It's good on burgers and with some fried delicacies.

The Heinz Caviar is just a novelty that was brought to you by consumer/market logic.
>>
No. 17508
>>17501
Well, they did their marketing research. I am so livid that I will probably remember it for a while.
>>
No. 17514
>>17512
I'm not sure how this is related, but why the hell not, spices are also basically just ground leafs anyway
>>
No. 21738
Has anyone here cooked phở before?

I usually prepare my broth with sweet onions, garlic, loads of ginger, star anise, salt, fish oil, shank and knuckle bones. I then add a toasted spice mix of fresh ground coriander seeds, cinnamon, clove, fennel, cardamom and peppercorns. After letting all those essentials boil then simmer for 10 hours, I then strain out all the fat and spent parts before adding bánh canh or Udon noodles and boiling until soft before adding thin-sliced sirloin.

I can never eat the amount prepared in one sitting, so I usually have tons of leftovers. One problem I have is that the broth always congeals into a thick gelatinous substance upon refrigeration that never turns liquid ever after five minutes in the microwave.

What tips do you have to render the broth soupy again? I've done some cursory research and apparently others hyperboil their broth initially before straining then reboiling and simmering. Any/all help sincerely appreciated.
>>
No. 21756
>>21738
Add water and boil it in a pan.
>>
No. 21763
>>21756
the white bits of fat never really disappear, filter it is you must, but taste wise it isn't going to make a difference.
>>
No. 21765
>>21763
I'd assumed he left too much cartilage in. Idk what knuckle bones are but it sounds like something similar to aspic happened. The problem isnt just the fats but the cartilage. Fuck meat stuff is disgusting. Like the more I think about what I'm saying the more disgusted I become.
>>
No. 24251
18 kB, 600 × 600
196 kB, 1450 × 968
8 kB, 275 × 183
So... Since bread is my go-to nutrition staple, I'm quite fond of sandwiches. And I've researched Philly Cheesesteaks for quite a while.

Obviously, I will never go there and never taste "the real thing", but I have made cheesesteak-inspired sandwiches before and they turned out nicely.

But this time I wanted to get as close to it as possible. I found a lepinja in the local store, a grill bread perfect for storing stuff in it, and also elastic, like the description of the Philly roll demands.

Even found a nice thin piece of real Steak that I could cut up nicely.

But what to do about the cheese? I researched. And the top choice for cheese is that fucking spray cheese.

WE DON'T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT CRAP IN OUR SHELVES HERE!!!

Option two was "provolone", although I strongly suspect that is American code for "some special foreign cheese that has actual properties and is considered fancy", since actual provolone doesn't even melt nicely, which seems to be a key aspect of a cheesesteak.

And option 3? "White American deli cheese". I didn't found any single description of what kind of cheese that actually was, so I looked up pictures and what did I find?

The saddest excuse of any cheesy substance known to man. A perfectly rectangular block. White, as the name suggests. Apparently you receive slices of it, which happen to fit perfectly onto toast. Better known in the pre-sliced and individually packaged variation.

Are you fucking serious? There's a meal that you take real pride in, I make an effort to gather high quality ingredients (and you do too, apparently), and then you tell people with a straight face

>For a cheesesteak you NEED these completely inferior cheese substitutes, don't even think of putting proper cheese on a cheesesteak!

Needles to say I went through with it, instead of buying proper (cheap) cheese that starts at 7€/kg I chose the individually packaged melt shit for 5€/kg and made my cheesesteak.

I mean, it tasted nice. About as nice as you'd expect if you fill bread with an abundance of melted-cheese-covered stuff.

BUT I WASTED A FUCKING STEAK FOR THAT!

THE INSTRUCTIONS PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO ACTUALLY TASTE THE STEAK IN A PROPERLY PREPARED CHEESESTEAK!

THE NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO GET THE CHEAPEST FUCKING PORK CUTTINGS

AND EVEN THEN I WILL PREPARE THEM SO THAT I CAN ACTUALLY TASTE GRILLED MEAT AND USE CHEESE THAT HAS ACTUAL FLAVOR INSTEAD OF FATTY SUGAR

AAAAARGH
>>
No. 24258
123 kB, 640 × 480
I made noodle salad recently for the first time in my life.
>>
No. 24259
42 kB, 940 × 529
>>24251
I mean American cuisine isn't exactly known for being high-end so I'm not sure what you'd expect :D

Anyways, this cheesesteak thing looks interesting, maybe I should try it too. I've been making lots of (grilled) sandwiches lately after watching this guy on yt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVNG7JpnJA

> individually packaged melt shit for 5€/kg
I think it's decent for regular sandwiches tbh if you like it creamy, though cheddar is my go-to for flavor & texture.
Maybe you could also try using some grated cheese, grated mozzarella is kind of like provolone I think but ofc somewhat more bland.

>"White American deli cheese"
Also regarding this, I'm not entirely sure whether this actually corresponds to this individually packaged creamy stuff we have here. Maybe some American can clear this up?
>>
No. 24265
245 kB, 769 × 437
>>24251
You do realize a lot of places here just use regular deli roast beef, right? Your mistake was in using the actual fine steak though that can work pretty good too.

> grated mozzarella
But yes, using that shitty American cheese aka "cheese product" fake cheese is pretty much mandatory for indulging in the sheer trashy fatness that is our cuisine. Frankly it doesn't actually taste too bad. I don't know why but American "cheese" is pretty delicious and yes you do need to use that. I have no fucking idea what they're talking about with spray on shit though.

>>24259
> grated mozzarella
The fuck is this heresy? No you should definitely only use preferably American or vaguely acceptable is provolone, though frankly I wouldn't recommend that either if he wants the authentic as possible philly cheese steak hoagie considering he actually seriously bothered to go out and try testing the bread in this hilariously specific borderline autistic German manner of measuring everything to perfection, which also is just downright unamerican on a certain level in that he was then suddenly confused why he would be "ruining" a perfectly good steak with American cheese product.

The answer: because we simply just don't give a fuck. Our food tends to just be fusions and sometimes random crap we throw together. Like a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich is essence just that: throw some random leftover shit together like steak trimmings, some American cheese, whatever. In fact I bet you that was invented by some American cook who did precisely that and found out it was actually pretty good after he threw all his random leftover shit together at the end of the night after closing his kitchen to customers and making a quick dinner for himself.

Not to be all meme tier about it but I think that if you actually want to truly appreciate and understand the American Soul™ you have to understand it is an act of chaos, of randomly mixing things together that should or shouldn't theoretically go together, be it food, musical instruments or genres, painting techniques, cultures and even peoples. I think this is the thing he has failed to appreciate about our mighty sandwich and that is that it's the same thing as producing Eric Andre. You want a black Jew? Sure why not. Jewish food and Southern soulfood? Sure why the fuck not even if everything has pork in it.

In short, I think that to truly appreciate this sandwich you're going to have to come to spiritual terms with throwing a very fine steak shredded up and probably overcooked onto a cheap sub roll with melted American cheese product. And then you must eat it. And then you will enjoy it and find out why Americans invented things like Jazz music and the philly cheese steak will enlighten your soul with fat enjoyment.
>>
No. 24292
>>24259
Tbh it IS delicious. You should take some onions and caramelize them, then roast up some cheap meat and combine it with that melty shit (i maybe used too much), then it sorta becomes one with the bread and it's really noice. Even added some Pfefferoni as I read somewhere recently, really made for a nice "balanced" flavour (if you can say so through all the cheese shit)

>>24265
You are right, tbh. Good post.
Deli roast beef is a fine idea, but sadly it's comparably expensive to real Steak Here (and I do want a heated cheesesteak).

But I have thought about getting a stationary rotating cutter for several reasons now, making some homemade roast beef and then shredding it up for a cheesesteak sounds like a good idea. Also ham. Or cheese.
>>
No. 24293
1,7 MB, 4000 × 3000
1,8 MB, 4000 × 3000
1,7 MB, 4000 × 3000
1,6 MB, 4000 × 3000
Following this woman's recipe with some adjustments of my own, I prepared and grilled Huli Huli chicken for my 4th of July dinner:
https://life-in-the-lofthouse.com/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/

Having done this several times, I find thighs and leg quarters go best with this marinade:
  • 1 cup (200 mL) pineapple juice
  • 1 cup (128 g) packed brown sugar or turbinado for a less sticky sauce
  • 3/4 cup (150 mL) ketchup
  • 3/4 cup (150 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup (66 mL - 80 mL) chicken broth
  • 2+ tablespoons (28+ gm) of minced fresh ginger
  • 6+ cloves (or, if you're me, one whole bulb) of minced garlic

This marinade will accommodate 4 pounds (1.81 kg) of chicken, preferably bone-in thighs and/or leg quarters. You should make more to save for the basting sauce which will be applied towards the last 5 minutes of cooking. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours, no more than 48 hours.

Use Pam or whatever cooking oil to grease up your grill racks. Fire it up until it reaches about 600° Fahrenheit (315° Celsius) and then reduce heat. Throw your chicken on, turning occasionally. With bones in, cooktime should be between 35-40 minutes to grill. Towards the last 5 or 10 minutes of cooking, baste the chicken with the remaining sauce.

Garnish with scallions and serve.
>>
No. 24294
>>24259
Addendum: my local Aldi/Hofer hast normal, yellow-ish Scheinkettenkäse, but it also has the "AMERICAN" version which happens to be white. I think that block deli is different in that it doesn't melt instantly on its own, but I think it's just really cheap melty cheese.

Also, check out the Google image search for "Philly cheesesteak", it's mouth-watering. Although most seem to prepare the steak stripes separately and then melt cheese on top, which is sorta against the preparation instructions.
>>
No. 24344
219 kB, 1080 × 1080
1,0 MB, 1935 × 1935
201 kB, 967 × 967
650 kB, 1452 × 1944
I made a fried potato and cheese sandwich.
I started with yellow potatoes, which had already been baked and then refrigerated. I put a few tablespoons of canola oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Butter also works well, and actually has better flavor. While the oil was coming up to temperature, I cut the potatoes. They were small, so I only had to cut them in half, and a few into quarters.
Once the potatoes are in the pan, I flipped them over a few times to coat them with oil. Since these were already fully cooked, they're only in the pan for 8-10 minutes, and I turn them over a few times during that span. I also sometimes sprinkle in some black pepper, but not today.
Once they're heated through, and the oil has created a crisp outer coating, I turn off the heat and drain the excess oil.
The potatoes are then returned to the pan, where I add some bits of Velveeta. I covered them to help it melt. I should note that Velveeta is technically not American cheese, but is a "cheese product" (>>24294 is right about the difference between American cheese found in the deli, and these other "cheese products", like Kraft singles. They are similar, but not identical).
After the cheese had sufficiently liquified, I poured the potatoes onto a deli hamburger roll. Another option here is to toast and butter the roll. Finally the sandwich is topped with some steak sauce. This steak sauce is why I didn't add any salt during the cooking process.
>>
No. 24643
384 kB, 1276 × 1276
762 kB, 1047 × 2056
I made potato pancakes from some leftover mashed potatoes.
Since the potatoes were cold from the refrigerator, I put them in the microwave for about 90 seconds-just long enough to soften them up. I then cracked in 3 eggs, a bit of salt, pepper, frozen diced onions, and garlic powder. I didn't measure anything; it was all done to taste. You can mix in any combination of spices here, and cheese is also an excellent addition. Once these ingredients are stirred together, I add flour until the batter is firm enough to hold shape.
To cook the batter, I set a frying pan over medium-low heat and add a pat of butter for each set of pancakes. The batter is spooned into the pan and patted flat with a spatula (protip: apply cooking spray to the spatula to keep it from sticking). The pancakes cook for 3-4 minutes before being flipped. At this point I like to add another small piece of butter to the middle of the pan. After another 3-4 minutes, remove the pancakes and place them onto paper towels to drain any excess butter. For consistant cooking results, I also wipe any remaining butter from the pan before starting a new set of pancakes. It browns quickly, and if it is allowed to sit then each succesive run of cakes will become darker and more oily.
I made a total of 14 pancakes here, but 3 or 4 is a decent serving. The rest will hold for a few days in the refrigerator.
>>
No. 24644
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKedOxQiMB8

Did something like this Bacon Lettuce Tomato Sandwich since I found some pretty tasty tomatoes at the supermarket. Very simple & delicious!
I used whole wheat sandwich bread & put chipotle sauce on one of the bread halves instead of mayo. Next time I need to fry the bacon on lower heat though since it got a bit burned, also pick up some more expensive bacon while I'm at it.
>>
No. 24649
149 kB, 1280 × 1024
I've been making this chicken stew for so many years now I think it's becoming a staple of my family's diet
>>
No. 30770
37 kB, 728 × 424
Prepared some US pancakes. Next time I will double the baking power in order to get pancakes that have about 2cm I meant two footinchmiles ofc in height. They turned out fluffy nonetheless and it was possible to stake them. Put butter on it an maple syrup: dog bless! First time in my life I tasted freedoms. Can't wait to try them with whipped cream, fruits and choco.
Also what is the regular number of staked pancakes you get in a food joint or at home? It's not just a meme, is it?

No pictures since I ate them already.
>>
No. 30771 Kontra
>>30770
Excuse my my orthographic failure, stacked ofc
>>
No. 30773
>>30770
>what is the regular number of staked pancakes you get in a food joint or at home?
3 seems to be pretty standard when eating out, and I usually eat that number at home, too. Of course when making them at home you end up with way more than that, but no worries because they keep well in the refrigerator. Also, instead of butter I like them with peanut butter. It adds a little more protein, and really goes well with the maple syrup. Additional information: With pancakes, homemade or natural peanut butter is best. The regular jarred brands have oil added which makes it too dense, and keeps it from melting properly.
>>
No. 30774
>>30773
Thanks, I will try them with bananas or blueberrys/chocolate chips soon. Whipped cream and all that stuff is way more time intensive and more items get dirty.

>but no worries because they keep well in the refrigerator.

You (can) eat them cold? Or how do you proceed after taking them out of the fridge again?
>>
No. 30778
>>30774
>how do you proceed after taking them out of the fridge again?
The toaster works great for reheating, especially if it has a defrost setting. Sometimes the outsides can over-brown before the cakes have heated through; if that's a problem, you can prevent it by first putting them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds per cake, just to take the chill off, and then put them in the toaster.
>>
No. 30792
>>30778
Don't have a microwave. I will put it on the toaster then, should be fine as well.
>>
No. 31412
227 kB, 1280 × 720
77 kB, 640 × 427
>>30792
It worked fine btw.

Just had some supposedly afghan bamia which is a name for okra if I got right. Okras are known from North Africa to India and everywhere near that line. Dunno I heard the first time about in some Moroccan dish, but it's also known in India quite well. So this bamia dish exists in many variants but it's always an okra stew.
Quite tasty it was and cheap. The SEA export market is lead by someone from pakistan/india or similar and the spices and small green chilis are priced nothing in comparison to German supermarket stuff that perhaps has the same region of origin.
>>
No. 31416
>>31412
>>31412
>It worked fine btw
Excellent.

I've never had okra, but that still looks good. Does okra have a strong flavor on its own, or do you mostly taste the different spices?
>>
No. 31417
>>31416
A German page characterized it as a mix between zucchini and bell pepper in consistency. It gets a bit slimy when you cut them open or into slices and then heat them, but in a stew that is without problems. It has its own taste, hard to describe but it's not a strong one. So you mostly have the tomato passata and the hotness of the chili with decent spicing. It needs a tsp. of salt, pepper, (crushed) coriander seeds and tumeric + two chili
>>
No. 31420
>>31417
Sounds a little like eggplant. That also gets mushy when cooked, and adds some body to a dish while you rely on a sauce to compliment its flavor. I've never made anything with that myself, but my family has.
>>
No. 31423
>>31420
I dunno but I cooked plenty of times with eggplant, it's available in every supermarket here. Never noticed any real slime. Okra really gets slimy when heated. Apparently there are people on the internet who don't like it and say that putting them in the oven would help with it but I never cared - and as you mentioned, it might add to a sauce consistency.
>>
No. 33694
>Over the last 10 years or so, it has become a Mumsnet rite of passage to ask every politician to name their favourite biscuit. And ever since Gordon Brown had a near-panic attack over the biscuit question – he stumbled around, unable to name a single biscuit and found himself obliged to ring in the following day to say he quite liked anything with chocolate on it – every politician has been well-briefed by their special adviser with a suitable answer.

I started researching a bit after buying some McVities Oat Crunch as their price was reduced in my supermarket. Turned out they were really great. Now I found out there are lot of different biscuit types like Digestives, Rich Tea or Hobnobs.
Why do the brits obsess about them so much?
>>
No. 33695
>>31423
>>31420
Okra is one of those things that's real popular in the South. Personally I find it a bit too bland and almost fibrous in the wrong way. I'm really not sure how to describe it but I don't really like it. The only exception is fried okra though anything fried is good, or in a stew but you can't even distinguish it in a stew which is probably why I don't mind it as much.
>>
No. 33853
37 kB, 800 × 800
37 kB, 500 × 286
20 kB, 500 × 500
63 kB, 1000 × 727
Update: I started to really love those cookies. Only had the oat crunch and milk chocolate so far but tomorrow I'll get all four of them in the supermarket. They're so simple and yet so fulfilling in taste and consistency. I've even started dunking them in my coffee. Didn't try yet with tea as I'm more of coffee drinker but I'll try with tea for the authentic experience tomorrow.
>>
No. 33860
74 kB, 600 × 600
143 kB, 600 × 753
>>33853
My local supermarket had these Hill Mini-packs in the imported food section. I've been having them with milk but, for authenticity, I'll join you in dunking the next pack in some tea. The chocolate and custard are gone(both delicious ofc), but tea should go well with the shorties or ginger nuts.
>>
No. 33882
>>33853
>>33860
Ah the humble digestive
Delicious destroyer of any diet
>>
No. 33885
>>33853
Don't call biscuits, cookies.
Get on the ginger biscuits, they are gold.
>>
No. 33912
66 kB, 659 × 609
>>33853
>I've even started dunking them in my coffee.
>>
No. 35751
176 kB, 1500 × 1437
What do you guys buy in Asian grocery stores? I find them quite overwhelming to just browse, often it's even hard to tell whether there's a cheaper version of the same product etc., also some products seem to be quite cheap while others are overpriced. So what products/brands can you recommend?

Stuff I've bought recently & can recommend:
  • Nissin instant ramen is my go-to, though I haven't tried a lot of different ones. It's pretty cheap, tastes decent & there's lots of different flavors.
  • Roasted sesame, goes great as topping for lots of dishes
  • "Five Spices" powder
  • Lao Gan Ma crispy chili oil, absolute staple for many dishes
  • Jinro Soju, found the "clean" flavor combined with a lower % than a proper spirit quite refreshing, though it's a bit pricey (4€ for 350ml, ~20%alc.)
>>
No. 35753
>>35751
I usually go there to buy soy sauce, oyster sauce etc. don't even know the Brands mostly. I think Pearl River Dark Soy e.g. is one. The Big Boy Soy Sauce it has yet to become a pol meme I guess is irritating because it's sold in glass bottles that look like normal glass water bottles. Bought Miso and Dashi once, both was quite pricey but also very tasty. Also exotic soft drinks. There is a store for more Arabic/Indian/African and Caribbean stuff. I can by fresh Okra there and other vegetables and fruits you never heard of. They have plenty of spices. A big bonus: in these stores you can have lentils, rice and similar for cheap.
Ofc I browse but often times I wonder what to make of it.

What do you consider overpriced? I always had the impression most food is cheaper than in regular supermarkets, even more so when it comes to the "exotic" stuff.
>>
No. 35755 Kontra
>>35751
Stir fries are one of my go to meals so I buy chink ingredients pretty often. Me settis:

Shaoxing rice wine
Dark soy sauce
Oyster sauce
Sesame oil
>>
No. 35757
>>35751
- Whole spices: Buy whole spices from Asian and Indian/Pakistani grocers because you'll always get much more for so much less than from any western grocer. Since Phở is my tradition for the winter, I'm always buying star anice, tsaoko (black cardamom), coriander seeds, fennel seeds, bark cinnamon, stick cinnamon and so much more.
- fresh fruit and herbs: you won't always find everything you're looking for, but you'll usually find specific items necessary for certain dishes. Limes, cilantro, scallions and other garnishes are usually cheap, too.
- Noodles: This is a no-brainer, but you'll find tons of dry and even fresh noodles. I like my soup with bánh canh noodles.

And yes, chili oil is an essential for certain dishes, especially Phở. I always load up on Thai basil, bean sprouts, limes and scallions, too. I don't usually bother with onions because of wholesale quantities from BJs or Costco.

Call me paranoid, but I never buy meat from an Asian grocer.
>>
No. 35761
>but I never buy meat from an Asian grocer.

Do they sell fresh meat? Asian stores here rarely do that. The Indian/Pakistani here does, perhaps it was just "fresh" fish tho. Some Arabic and Turk shops sell fresh meat. If you want minced lamb meat you usually have to go there. But it wasn't an issue when I did.
>>
No. 35762
>>35761
The one near me does. They also sell fish. One time, they sold live turtles for food which caused a huge shitstorm. The turtles were apparently supposed to be for pets but somehow were sold to be slaughtered. The market was even featured on the local news. Amazingly, they can still operate and even have other locations across the nation.
>>
No. 35763
>>33853
I had a pack of those last week I think. Best God damn biscuit I ever had.
And to top it all off, they barely made any crumbles. Literally perfect.
>>
No. 35768
632 kB, 1600 × 1600
Thanks for your input.

>>35753
I've been lazily using normal soy sauce instead of dark one, definitely gotta pick some up next time.

>What do you consider overpriced?
Snacks, sweets & beverages I'd say. Also Japanese/SK stuff in general tends to be pricey though that's understandable.
Taking soju as an example it apparently costs 3x as much as in Korea.

>>35755
Do you have any tips for stir fries? I usually just do frozen "Asian veggie mix" & then add rice mixed with a few eggs. Optionally fry some chicken & deglaze it with soy sauce & put it aside to add at the end.
I never used rice wine before, gotta try it.

>>35757
Pho sounds great, though I'm afraid I'm too lazy to cook a proper broth.
>>
No. 35770
>>35769
There are many reasons why I refuse to have anything to do with particularly the Chinese and that's one of them. It constantly pisses me off seeing how much of our crap has made in China on it. I normally try to go out of my way to avoid paying the Chinese for anything.
>>
No. 35778
32 kB, 640 × 560
>>35768
>Do you have any tips for stir fries? I usually just do frozen "Asian veggie mix" & then add rice mixed with a few eggs. Optionally fry some chicken & deglaze it with soy sauce & put it aside to add at the end.
>I never used rice wine before, gotta try it.

Basically what I do is fry any kind of sliced meat at high heat for like 3 minutes, add some garlic and veggies (I like mange tout, spring onions, peppers, regular onions, fresh chillies, or broccoli) and fry for another 2 minutes, then reduce heat and add something like 2 parts soy sauce, 3 parts rice wine, 3 parts oyster sauce, 2 parts sesame oil, some chilli powder or chilli oil if I want it spicy, and simmer for another minute or two. One part is something like one tablespoon and the proportions depend on how salty your oyster sauce is; the oyster sauce I use is Lee Kum Kee/Panda Brand. Serve over rice or stir in some noodles.
>>
No. 35785
>>35770
Good luck to you. I mean that sincerely. Avoiding products made in China is a Sisyphean task, so I appreciate those who find ways to support PRC as minimally as possible. If it isn't too much to ask, share any/all tips you have.
>>
No. 35811
157 kB, 1500 × 1909
Went thru this thread a again and I bought malted milks today, I hoped the indian/pakistani would have it and he has Royalty Malted Milks indeed.
I seriously expected them to taste different, but to me it's like sweet crackers, kinda weird. I will have a coffee with it now. yep no tea
Are there enormous difference in taste when it comes to different brands?

I also bought green chili and okra there so I can make the Bamia dish again and two cans of grape soda
>>
No. 35821
>>35811
Malted milks are fucking great. Dunno what you're talking about. I rate them higher than rich tea biscuits and that's saying something. They've just got a nice simple flavour that doesn't try too hard.

God damn it. Now I want some but I went to the shops yesterday :-DDD
>>
No. 35826
>>35821
I expected a different flavor, tho I did not expect a certain flavor. I'm not sure if I would buy them again. But I bought two packs just in case they are great :DD Maybe I need to grow on them first.
>>
No. 35827
>>35826
Maybe it's just a thing I grew up with. My old man loved malted milks so they were always around when I was young. I think his love for them has its origins in malted milkshakes back in his youth in the 40s-50s.
>>
No. 35894
>>35827
I ate some of them super hungry and they tasted better :DD they remind me of some Italian cookies, Mulino Biancos by Barilla. They have a few rather plain cookies and one these tastes pretty similar to malted milks. I guess I expected more milk or butter flavor, dunno how to describe it otherwise.

The milkshakes is an issue, I want to taste malted milk.
>>
No. 35914
>>35894
Well malted milk is a gruel or powder containing evaporated milk rather than milk with malt flavouring. It isnt the most descriptive term when considering what it actually is.
>>
No. 38811
What cuisine stereotypes do you have?
For me it's about hungarian cuisine:
>it's OK if it's with paprika :DDD
>>
No. 38822
72 kB, 599 × 438
>>38811
>What cuisine stereotypes do you have?
India: Whatever it is, it's going to be too spicy/hot for me
Mexico: Their tacos/burritos are better than ours
For some reason I believe these, even though I've never had Indian food, and I've never had a taco in Mexico.
>>
No. 38841
47 kB, 500 × 385
>>38811
>tfw countryside relatives give you 2kgs of paprika powder
It's true
>>
No. 38845
>>38822
>I've never had Indian food
Why even bother to live like this?
>>
No. 39334
>>38845
This

... and garlic-ginger paste read it with indian accent
>>
No. 39340
1,3 MB, 640 × 480, 0:09
>>38845
>>39334
I'll admit, I do have a very narrow palate :3
>>
No. 39347
62 kB, 400 × 266
77 kB, 640 × 640
305 kB, 1024 × 1536
330 kB, 1920 × 1080
>>39334
>>39340
So delicous
>>
No. 39349
>>39347
If you have SEA store near you, try browsing cooking channels of people with an actual ethnicity/origin/tradition related to the desired food. I don't say wectern cooking channels won't have good recipes, but these people have the right smack. They also have recipies of dishes you might never heard of.

This one is rather time-consuming I imagine. But just look at it!
Also it shows how garlic ginger paste / onion paste, cummin/coriander seeds and mashed tomataoes are often the base of a curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNDdHtSwd8
>>
No. 39350
5 kB, 404 × 399
>>39334
I've read it aloud with indian accent.

One of my indian colleges was once so nice to pick up the phone for me when I was called by some spam-callcenter
>>
No. 39362
26 kB, 424 × 211
One of my favorite recipes: Nation of Islam-style Supreme Bean Pie

Ingredients:
- 2 cups / 473.176 ml of cooked navy beans
- 1 stick of butter (0.5 cup / 118.294 ml)
- 2 tablespoons / 28.4 grams of wholewheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon / 0.5 gram of nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon / 0.5 gram of ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon / 0.5 gram of ground clove
- 1 teaspoon / 0.5 gram of ground cinnamon
- 0.75 cup / 177.4412 ml of raw honey
- 0.75 cup / 177.4412 ml / 96 grams of organic sugar
- 12 fl oz / 354.882 ml of light cream
- 2 tablespoons / 29.5735 ml vanilla extract

Direction:
- Cook beans until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 176.667°C.
- In large bowl, mix honey and warm beans.
- Blend thoroughly and return to large bowl.
- Blend butter, eggs, cream, flour, powdered ginger, ground clove, nutmeg powder and ground cinnamon.
- Pour into bean/honey mixture.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into pie dish / pie plate
- Bake about 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
>>
No. 39365
>>39362
>Nation of Islam style
What's the story here?
>>
No. 39368
>>39365
The Nation of Islam was one of many organizations born out of the african american movement in the US afaik.

>>39362
Unusal ingredients mix I have to say. Is it a dessert or main meal?
>>
No. 39369
>>39368
Yeah, I know about the Nation of Islam is, that's why I'm asking why there's a bean pie named after them.
>>
No. 39371
>>16407
>Toasted nut orzo

Gonna go for this recipe again, since one of the few pasta products left when I went shopping were kritharaki. I think that's a sign, I might even have pecan nuts lying around somewhere this time.
>>
No. 39373
>>39365
This article gives a good summary:
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/nation-of-islam-member-peddles-bean-pies-a-ritual-going-back-decades/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_pie

They were concocted as an alternative to the calorie rich soul foods Black people typically enjoy. The hope was for them to start eating healthier, although if you make them as I do, they're probably as calorie rich as soul food.

>>39368
Definitely a sweet pie, so you could have it for dessert or breakfast. A pie that's particularly decadent will have sugar/honey match the amount of cooked navy beans. Others prefer them to be less sweet, so you could reduce it to 1 cup of honey/sugar.

My recipe is based on this one with some modifications:
https://homemakingfortheblackwoman.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/supreme-bean-pie/

I first heard about these nifty treats from the movie Fear of a Black Hat where one of the main characters discussed selling bean pies before rising to stardom as an MC and turntablist for the group. The fact they were associated with "Muslims" (which I later discovered meant "Black Muslims" or followers of Nation of Islam as opposed to proper Muslims) piqued my interest.
>>
No. 39374
>>39373
>They were concocted as an alternative to the calorie rich soul foods Black people typically enjoy.
Interesting. Thanks.
>>
No. 39729
I just made this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDpjL2aRa0

The secret to indian/tamil etc dish is lots of oil/fat, you really need to fry things and I guess the spices and onion or garlic ginger paste can unfold their flavors properly and be transmitted more prominent. If you look at euro receipies you rarely need that amount of oil, only when you want to deep fry things. Yet even for meat in euro dish it's better to use a bit more fat.

I did less chili tho, just one dried red chili together with the bayleaf, cinnamon and cardamom. Only a spoon of chili powder later instead of two big ones and also just one green chili at the end.
For the first time I feel like the spices are well balanced here and it was decently hot, could have put another chili or one bigger spoon of powder to make me sweat or at least create of distinct burn if that is desired.
>>
No. 39730 Kontra
>>
No. 39733
>>39729
>>39730
It's the same link, isn't it?
Not sure if I'm a fan of grinding up the onions into a paste, but might be intersting to try.

I made sth Indian recently too, along the lines of this recipe: https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2018/11/02/Roasted-Cauliflower-Lentil-Curry
It's a bit similar actually. Though I'm not a fan of cauliflower, I just fried some tofu and put it in there.
I overcooked the lentils and didn't manage to deglaze the tofu properly, but it turned out pretty tasty anyways. Then again with the amount of coconut oil and spices I put in there anything would probably taste good.
>>
No. 39734
>>39733
It is, strange, I thought I had the wrong video, because ... well whatever.

>grinding up the onions into a paste

sometimes it is done, sometimes they cut the onions very chunky. I guess you get more flavor since the surface that of the onion that gets fried is bigger. It's like grinding weed etc. Tho really it is an assumption.

>this recipe

looks good also I would skip the rice and keep it as main dish, lazy one bowl style. Maybe I should look for spinach dishes as well.

>overcooking lentils

what do you mean by that?
>>
No. 40317
92 kB, 800 × 800
Tried this Fage greek yogurt for the first time today, and it's the best I've ever had. I've tried a lot of other brands Oikos>Chobani>Store Brand, some flavored and some plain, but they were all low fat. This has 5% milkfat-and that makes a huge difference in the taste and texture. It's unflavored ofc, but I stirred in a little chocolate syrup and it was like eating pudding- but not ordinary pudding, no sir, this stuff has 15 grams of protein per serving.
>>
No. 40339
56 kB, 600 × 400
Yesterday I made white wine risotto with breaded camembert.
It's pretty epic and is served quick (~30 min).

Just make sure to use lots and lots of parmesan for the risotto.
>>
No. 40340
>>40317
>5%

Thank Allah we have turkish here making 10% yoghurt available nearly everywhere. Indeed, the difference in flavor is astronomically.

>>40339
I once ate Risotto prepared by two italian girls, one having a Nonna spirit in that regard. Delicous dish. I failed every time I tried it myself, which was not often.
>>
No. 40344
73 kB, 600 × 600
>>40340
You can not fail to make a risotto.

Italians may correct me:

200g risotto-rice (Arborio)
White wine
500ml Vegtable broth
1 piece of parmesan
1 small onion
1 black pepper
Saffron
A bit of whatever vegetables you like or none

Fry the onions in butter. Add a small glass of white wine. Drink most of the remaining white wine. Stew the rice in that. Cover it with the broth and stirr it while it reduces. Add parmesan (like 100g ground) when it has reduced. Cover with broth again, rince and repeat until the 500ml are empty. Add more parmesan if you want to, add more wine if you want to. Use pepper and saffron mixed with a little warm water for seasoning.
>>
No. 40367
>>40344
I think mine wasn't soft when it should have been. So the inside was still hard when I put it on the plate. Maybe I was not patient enough.
>>
No. 40464
3,2 MB, 3944 × 2540
2,6 MB, 3892 × 2528
Trinchado

- 2 kg / 4.5 lbs of steak cubes, preferably ribeye and rump roast cut into 4cm / 1.5 in cubes
- 50 ml / 1.7 fl oz. Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce.
- 50 ml / 1.7 fl oz. olive oil
- 50 ml / 1.7 fl oz. butter
- 2 onions (one yellow, one sweet), finely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 15 ml+ / 1+ tbsp. cayenne pepper or chili powder (add more depending on preference)
- 3 bay leaves
- 500 ml / 2 cups beef stock
- 125 ml / 0.5 cup brandy
- 125 ml / 0.5 cup red wine
- 15+ ml / 1+ tbsp. salt (add/adjust as needed or for preference)
- 5ml / 1 tsp. black pepper
- one small can of black olives
- 250 ml / 1 cup cream
- Lemon zest / grated rind of a small lemon

Instructions:

1. Pour the Worcestershire sauce / soy sauce over the steak cubes. You may also marinate them overnight, but be sure to thoroughly drain the marinade or wash the meat before use to prevent oversalting the dish. Generate some heat in your pot. Then add the olive oil, butter and fry about one-third of the meat, or as much as fits in the bottom of the pot. You could of course fry all of the meat at once if your pot is big enough. Take the cubes out and keep to one side. Add another more oil and butter and fry the next third. By the time you get to the last batch of steak cubes there will be enough oil and fat left in the pot.
When the last batch of meat is browned, put back all the other meat into the pot, unless you fried it all at once. Add the onions, garlic, cayenne pepper and bay leaves; then fry for about 10 minutes until the onions are soft.

Pour in the beef stock, brandy, wine, salt and pepper. Heat until the sauce starts to simmer, then cover with a lid and continue to gently simmer for 1 hour until the meat is very tender.

Remove the lid and stir in the olives, cream and lemon rind. Bring to the boil and then cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce starts to get thicker.

Remove from the stove and let it stand for a few minutes before serving. The generous amount of sauce is part of this meal and should be enjoyed with the meat, so serve trinchado in bowls and eat the sauce with spoons when necessary.
>>
No. 40470 Kontra
>>40464
Sorry those instructions look sloppy. Here's a rewrite. Polite kontra.

Instructions:

1. Pour Worcestershire / soy sauce over steak cubes. You may also marinate them overnight, but thoroughly drain the marinade or wash the meat before cooking to prevent oversalting the dish.
  2. Heat the pot. Add the olive oil, butter and fry about 1/3 of the meat or as much as fits in the pot. Take cooked meat out and place in a bowl. Add more oil and butter then fry the next third. By the time you get to the last batch of steak cubes there will be enough oil and fat left in the pot. You may fry all the meat if the pot is sufficiently big. When the last batch of meat is browned, put back all the other meat into the pot, unless you fried it all at once.
  3. In a separate pot (or same if you removed the cooked meat), add the onions, garlic, cayenne pepper and bay leaves; then fry for about 10 minutes until the onions are soft. Add meat back in once sufficiently fried.
  4. Pour in the beef stock, brandy, wine, salt and pepper. Heat until the sauce starts to simmer, then cover with a lid and continue to gently simmer for 1 hour until the meat is very tender.
  5. Remove the lid and stir in the olives, cream and lemon rind. Bring to the boil and then cook for a further 10+ minutes, uncovered, until the sauce starts to get thicker.
  6. Remove from the stove and let it stand for a few minutes before serving. Serve in bowls and eat using spoons.
>>
No. 40472
>>40470
Looks pretty good, thanks. I'll try that next time I go to the butcher, though I'd use only 1/3rd the amount of meat.
It's funny to me that you measure butter as fluid, we usually use grams rather than ml here.
>>
No. 40487
>>40472
Thankfully, the imperial to metric converts relatively easy. The one thing that drove me crazy about this recipe was the fucking "tot" measurement which I struggled finding a concrete definition for until I discovered it's synonymous with shot. 1 South Africa "tot" (or "shot") = 25ml.

Also, you can substitute ribeye with chuck or flank. You want at least one cut of meat that's marbled and one that's lean.
>>
No. 40525
>>
No. 40545
>>40525
I would appreciate that clip more if I understood what they were saying. Could you please translate and contextualize those scenes for us?
>>
No. 40549
>>40545
The kid in that clip finds all kind of forign objects in his food, like pipe cap, wick, pieces of rag, etc. He suspects that the old hag cooks this specially to him. So he asks the track-watchman:
- Is your soup thick as well?
- It's thick. Especially with this stag-beetle.
- At least you got stag-beetle! Leave it to me, please!
- See, who you're dealing with! *gives stag-beetle
Kid: *not reaching for it
- Let us close our eyes while eating!

I'm sorry but when I saw those black things (turned out to be olives) floating in that stew, I immediately associated to this scene.
>>
No. 40550
37 kB, 474 × 354
>>40472
Lol we usually measure it by the tablespoon. It actually has markings of tablespoons on it and iirc 2tbs=1/4 cup. Only some recipes give you just cups of butter.
>>
No. 40558
>>40550
Some packaging has markings like these as well, though in grams.
>>
No. 40930
358 kB, 1200 × 1250
>In Japan, the term "Russian tea" is used to refer specifically to the act of having black tea with a spoonful of jam, whether added into the cup or placed on the tongue before drinking. The typical choice is strawberry jam, but not exclusively so. [19]
Does this actually correspond to anything in Russia, or is it just a meme? I've heard of people putting honey (as well as sugar) in their tea, but never jam.
>>
No. 40934
>>40930
The mentioned jam isn't actually jam but varenye, which is a slightly different thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenye
And yes it was a very popular dessert consumed with tea (because it's often too damn sweet), but nowadays it lost its popularity somewhat because of easy access to a wide variety of confectionery. My grandma used to make 10/10 varenye, my favorite kinds were blueberry and cherry.
>>
No. 40935
>>40934
Isnt that the stuff you guys put in pierogies? I forget what it's called, velyenke, or smolsomething or other. Oh pelmeni. Nvm I might be thinking of something else.
>>
No. 40937
>>40935
You're thinking of vareniki, which is like pelmeni, but with potato, curd, or other stuff.
>>
No. 40947
I just recently discovered that salo is love, salo is life.

Sadly my local grocery store doesn't have those huge chunks and sells it in thin slices.

Still, I covered them in salt and spices and now ocassionally eat a slice. It is so awesome.

And I'm currently building a smoking chamber in order to make it even more delicious.

I will also make some sausages. Would anyone care to share his favourite sausage recipes?
>>
No. 40948
>>40947
Can you compare it to anything else one can eat?
>>
No. 40955
>>40948
Eat a chunk of lard with a little sliver of bacon and you'll have a pretty close approximation of the salo eating experience.
>>
No. 40956
>>40955
I thought were was something special to it, or does it only tastes like pure lard really?
>>
No. 40960
I really want to go pick up some cookie dough ice cream but my hazmat suit and decontamination routine has become so complex I'm just like ah to hell with it. Especially because I'm in my pajamas and it's like putting on boots is waaay too much hassle for me right now.

Meanwhile I've just about gone through all of my quarantine food. I'm pretty sure I could easily stretch it out to another week or so but that would involve me making lots of haphazard shit like rice with idk wtf to even put on it, a single frozen pizza, ice cream and basically just picking off all my last remaining odds and ends. Which sucks because that means my next supply run probably tomorrow is gonna have to be such a huge complete pain in the ass I'm going to need to totally load up the cart because I'm out of damn near everything and I don't trust the morons around me whatsoever so it takes awhile to fully decontaminate everything with my now also rapidly dwindling iso supplies. Which I suppose I could switch to dilute bleach for products but I can't use it anywhere near my carpet, clothes, or fuck wait i can't use it on food period because I have to bring all that shit inside.

Jesus. I'm down to my last two cans of beans after heating this up.
Oh right and I should probably bother to get more coffee creamer too. It's actually pretty amazing just how long all that shit lasted me though.
>>
No. 41003
2,7 MB, 4000 × 3000
3,9 MB, 4000 × 3000
3,7 MB, 4000 × 3000
3,5 MB, 4000 × 3000
Today, we're going to be enjoying some homemade phở.

The recipe is as follows.

Ingredients for the broth:
- 4 quarts / 3.8 liters of water
- 4.5 - 5 lbs. / 2+ kg of shank and oxtail
- 1 whole garlic bulb cut in half
- 2+ large chunks of ginger, cut in half lengthwise and pounded
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 sweet onion
- 4+ star anise pods
- 4+ sticks of cinnamon
- 1+ bark cinnamon
- 7+ whole cloves
- 7+ tsao-ko / black cardamom pods cracked open
- 1+ tbsp / 15+ grams of fennel seed
- 2 tbsp / 30 grams of salt
- 2 tbsp / 30 grams of sugar
- 0.5 tsp / 2.5 ml of fish sauce

Ingredients for the filling:
- One small bag of rice noodles, your choice.
- 3 lbs / 1.36 kg of chuck steak, thinly sliced into small pieces

Garnishes:
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Fresh chopped Thai basil
- Fresh chopped scallions
- Fresh chopped onions
- Bean sprouts

Condiments (optional but highly recommended):
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha
- Chili paste
- Sliced limes / fresh lime juice

Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F / 232.222°C.
  2. Blanche the shank and oxtail bones in a small pot for about 15 minutes on a low boil. Remove from pot once blanched.
  3. On a large sheet, place blanched shank/oxtail bones, garlic, onions, star anise, bark cinnamon and ginger together. Once the oven is preheated, insert sheet into oven and let roast for about 45 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, place stick cinnamon, cracked tsao-ko, fennel seeds and cloves in a small pan dry and roast on a low heat. Once the spices emit an aroma, take off and let cool.
  5. After the oven bones and spices finish roasting, remove from oven and scrape all the contents into a large pot. Add pan-roasted spices, salt, sugar, fish sauce and water to the pot and bring to a boil for about 1-2 hours.
  6. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and let it cook for 10+ hours.
  7. After the broth has been made, strain out all the bones and spices. Let it cool for 6+ hours. Remove the layer of congealed fat that will form at the top.
8.Reheat the broth, add the noodles and boil until soft.

9. Grab your bowl and add raw meat, condiments and garnishes. Ladle boiling hot broth in the bowl over the meat and let it cook for about 5 minutes.

Bon appetit.
>>
No. 41196
Whipped coffee has been a trend on social media. Well, I love coffee, and have never been one to to dismiss it in any form, so I gave it a try. It's a lot of work, since I used a whisk instead of a mixer, but I like it.
The recipe I saw(below) called for 2 tablespoons of instant coffee, but for a single serving I reduced the measurements to teaspoons. I used ~2 tsp. of Taster's Choice coffee, ~6 tsp. of sugar, and ~4 tsp. of hot water. After some serious whisking, I spooned the whipped foam onto 12 oz. of whole milk. I tried it without ice, and also with ice; my verdict? Only use a few ice cubes, because filling the glass with ice causes the foam to freeze and it won't mix well into the milk. The real tricky part is getting the instant coffee crystals to dissolve; the water has to be boiling for that. Using hot tap water left me with a lot of coffee flakes sitting on top of the milk.

Dalgona Coffee Recipe | How to Make Whipped Coffee | Frothy Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjCEOWd3PU
>>
No. 41218
>>41003
This sounds like a very overcomplicated recipe, and uses very exotic spices that are generally not considered meat spices. And...
...wait, you cook the broth for 10+ hours and then in the end serve it with raw meat?!!
>>
No. 41220
>>41218
That's phở for you, buddy; don't know what else to tell you. The meat is cooked with hot boiling broth similar to a Chinese hotpot.
>>
No. 41271
>>24293
>>39362
>>40464
>>41003
RAC Bernd? Is that your cooking? If so, you're surprisingly talented.
>>
No. 41276
>>41271
How many of us are there? I'm aware that we've got at least 3-4 Americans. Is that really RAC?

I probably should follow recipes and actually make things at some point but I pretty much do all my cooking haphazardly with mostly what I've got on hand. I practically never shop for like specific recipes like this guy. Probably a result of working kitchens.

Let me tell you we eat like crap. It wouldn't surprise me if Australia is the same way. I'll eat those garbage breakfast burritos or a fried egg cheese sandwich and that's basically it. When you cook as your job for enough years the last fucking thing on your mind is doing more cooking when you get home.
>>
No. 41277
>>41276
Can confirm. My diet at home is 90% sandwiches of various varieties. Shit that's tasty while requiring no effort.
>>
No. 41279
>>41277
I don't even care what cuntish shit that man did or may have done to peasants Lord Sandwich if the apocryphal tale is true is a saint to all restaurant workers. I also relied on pasta a lot because you can just cook a big vat dump some alfredo sauce and spices in and be done with it. One good pot of pasta is like a whole day or two of eatings.

Fuck you know what this thread is making me feel like I'm really not living at all. I cook nothing at all. I need to like find some kind of recipes online and...oh. Wait shit that's right the quarantine. I actually can't just casually run out and grab ingredients at the moment.

Oh well I've got cinnamon buns, ice cream, pasta, frozen pizza, cheese, and enough beans to last me a fortnight.
>>
No. 41283
>>41271
Aww, shucks. You're making me blush like a girl.

>>41276
>Probably a result of working kitchens.

Nope. Just a steadfast dedication and a love for food. My father loved to cook, so I must've gotten it from him. A few bad experiences at a few restaurants have also motivated me to self-teach.

The beauty of quarantine is that it's encouraged me to be self-reliant and stop dining out. Sure, I'll stop in for a fix at Taco Bell or Popeye's, but I think I'm going to be going out much less even if/when this economy "reopens."
>>
No. 41284 Kontra
>>41283
Oh, did you mean YOU working in kitchens? Yeah, I can see how alienating that would be.
>>
No. 46884
171 kB, 1000 × 750
647 kB, 3868 × 2579
I spent about 2 hours making kimbap today. Turned out really good. With the leftover rice, I made a couple of onigiri with some tuna salad. The kimbap is like a sushi roll, but with imitation crab, egg, and pickled Korean veggies instead of raw fish. The onigiri was just tuna salad wrapped in rice and then a square of nori.

As long as you have rice and nori seaweed squares, it's easy to make this kind of thing. You don't even need one of those dedicated sushi rolling mats for the kimbap, just be careful and use your hands.

Now I have a bunch of relatively-healthy meals/snacks that makes me feel like I'm in one of my Japanese animes. Try it yourself, Ernst!
>>
No. 46887
>>46884
Man it must've been ten years since I made sushi. It's something I've been meaning to do again but well I am lazy and have so many other things going on I've not got the energy for after work. Well that plus the pandemic means I'm not going out on very specific errands like getting the stuff to make that. I'm probably going to order pizza or something the first time since the pandemic started at some point. I'm definitely eating a lot less healthy food too because nothing except onions and carrots stays good for a couple weeks at a time.
>>
No. 47023
>>46884
Do you have a how to guide available?

>You don't even need one of those dedicated sushi rolling mats for the kimbap, just be careful and use your hands.

Especially for this, every guide I look into says I need one
>>
No. 47052
>>47023
This is the only guide I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOYTnCc9aY&feature=emb_title
And I just followed the general technique, not the specific recipe.

Lacking a sushi rolling mat, I just put the nori on a layer of paper towels. I held the fillings in place with my fingers, and rolled up the nori with my thumbs. Once you have the filling rolled up, you can be less careful and use your full hands to roll it up the rest of the way.

TBH, I found it much easier than using a sushi mat, and it's much better if you're using any potentially messy fillings (like avocado, or something with mayo or sauce in it), because there's no fancy bamboo mat to clean afterwards.
>>
No. 47557
55 kB, 448 × 336
So I went to my SEA import store and bought spices and peppers. The thin green chili and some I never noticed before with a lampion shape, it pretty muched looked like pic related in the store's box as well. So at the check out I notice that one of the chilis went as cayenne peppers and I thought it would be the lampions but there weren't, long story short, they seem to be scotch bonnets after I made some research. Now it is said they are one of the hottest. But I could touch them, cut them without gloves, they were indeed hot, more so around the seeds a tiny amount was enough to make a stronger hot burn, but nothing I could not handle. I cut a 1/5 from the top around the seeds (not the seeds though) and put it in a salad marinade yesterday, the hotness was good but not so strong I hardly could bear it, lets say quite proper for what little amount was on my tongue with a bite. Are these Scotch bonnets? Is there a lighter version or is it a different chili after all? Would I feel the normal heat once I cut a full into a curry e.g.? I put it in melted butter together with lemon juice to put on my ravioli, don't think lemon juice counters heat.

I eat hot sometimes, occasionaly have hot sauce on my eggs or whatever, but only a few drops for a cooked egg for instance, so I estimate by tolerance not very high, higher than average perhaps but I'm not sure if that is an illusion.
>>
No. 49074
>>16738
My understanding is that no matter what you do, it's hard for you to get a good pizza shape at home for the following reason: Simple flour doughs naturally tend to resist staying in a pizza shape, meaning if you try to flatten the lump, it will immediately go back to ball shape. Industrial producers of products where this tendency of the dough to revert to ball shape is unerwünscht – such as pizza and doughnuts – usually avert this by adding L-cysteine (an enzyme?) to the dough. In the EU, producers are not legally required to list L-cysteine as an ingredient under certain conditions; perhaps because the L-cysteine will not be detectable in the product after baking? According to the internet™, L-cysteine as a dough additive for human foods is sourced from poultry feathers and Asian human hair, except in the EU where using human hair is currently not allowed, so I assumed ours must be 100 percent bird parts, but for the last 1 or 2 years I've been encountering German "wraps" that have L-cysteine listed as an ingredient and are certified "vegan" by v-label.eu, so it seems there is now a way to efficiently source it from something other than human or other animal parts.

>>33694
Reminds me of http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/
>>
No. 49075
>>49074
Unless the label is lying to you

>>47557
I was kind of baffled by your question til thinking about it but those are indeed scotch bonnets on your pic and you may have ate them but they can come in different strains so perhaps you had a lighter one. They're nowhere near cayenne, chili, jalepeno, or any of those other, lesser, peppers. I personally don't actually like the taste of scotch bonnets too much and loathe the fact that most hot sauce producers seem to throw them in there because their flavor is bad (to me) but a lemon and butter based ravioli suace could work though I question you being able to taste butter or lemon. Did you say you used only fifth of one? That's not much if you made a whole vat although you'd know if it was real scotch bonnet. The real ones will curdle your stomach, burn your ass, and if you were not very thorough washing hands after cutting will burn your dick or vag later on. I personally used surgical or food prep gloves for dicing mine. That oil goes everywhere. It does depend what you use though. Even a full one in a whole vat of pasta will make it hot but bearable iirc. I used to throw up to three on a mini pizza the size of a dinner plate though, and eat only half or quarter at a time because the effect was lightly psychototropic.

I think there might be some kind of sweet pepper that looks like it that Asians use though. Or you have tolerance. Or didn't use enough.

Personally I'd actually recomend the scorpion pepper. It is hotter but it's got the superior flavor to just about everything in the hot world.
>>
No. 49076
>>49075
>Unless the label is lying to you
Right. Or unless they have a funny definition of "vegan", like authorities use their own secret definitions for what constitutes "surveillance" and "a threat", companies use their own secret definitions of what constitutes "personal data" etc. depending on what they want to be legal and what they want to be illegal.
>>
No. 49081
>>49074
I did not use simple flour doughs but the normal pizza flours, comaparable to what you can get in Italy and what is used by professional pizza bakers more or less. NY Pizza was/is made with bread flour btw. The stretchy dough is done by protein content, water/flour mix and ofc how you threat the dough. I had pizza that shaped well with good shaping techniques. Common German white flour has only 9/100g protein, while pizza flour has 12-14 usually, you can even get more.

>>49075
>burn your ass, and if you were not very thorough washing hands after cutting will burn your dick or vag later on

I burned my nose an hour after preparing them and ass, especially after I ate half of one over the course of a day, my stomach felt funny after some hours passend and bloated and then I had quite a burning shit, so maybe they are. I would never eat a full one of these, will probably knock me out. I can put a 1/5 or 1/6 into a curry together with a teaspoon of pul biber, turkish chili flakes, and it is hot but very much eatable. Note that these curry contain two big spoons of curd.
>>
No. 49082 Kontra
>>49074
I thought about it again, the enzyme could be in the flour already. But I think dough staying in place is very much down to proofing of the dough, how it was handle before proofing and what the dough consists of.
>>
No. 49087
>>49081
You clearly put small amount in, is not hot at those levels. Try taking moar. Small amount you use is more actual death peppers like Bhut Jolokia, Scorpion, Ghost pepper, so on.
>>
No. 49110
>>16759
>egg in pizza dough
Never seen that before.

>>49081
>>49082
That makes sense. Also, "flipping it in the air like in a pizza joint" is not something you can easily design a machine to do, so perhaps that is another reason for industrial producers to use the additive, besides allowing them to cut PROOFing times.

It's been fun to reply to posts of many moons past and then see the original poster replying shortly afterwards. And I learned a new word from you today, "to proof (dough)".
>>
No. 49112
>>49087
I will have to make a curry again soon in order to use up some vegetables, then I will put in half a pepper and leave out the chili flakes so that I can properly judge the heat.

>>49110
I think many people are still here who have been in the beginning of 2019 (was still living in that tiny comfy flat back then as I could see from the photos).

>Also, "flipping it in the air like in a pizza joint" is not something you can easily design a machine to do, so perhaps that is another reason for industrial producers to use the additive

Yeah, that seems a reasonable answer, there are different techniques of stretching a dough, you can toss it in the air, you can stretch it over your knuckles while letting it hang down and go in cirlces and you can stretch it with hand while the pizza is lying flat and moving in circles while doing so and there are different hand movements for this placement of the pizza as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPbyOfQz2o
>>
No. 49497
I must find an African teach me their secrets of Jollof rice
https://food52.com/recipes/61557-classic-nigerian-jollof-rice
It doesn't seem to exist here. All I know it is the great seasoning to African memes and I seek to understand it--and thereby come to ingest and assimilate it.
>>
No. 49507
>>49497
That looks good, have to try myself.

https://www.africanbites.com/east-african-pelau/

great rice dish from africa
>>
No. 49555
>>49507
This looks great, thanks. On my list for tomorrow evening as I already have all the ingredients.
>>
No. 49557 Kontra
>>49555
Make sure you have the star anis as powder, otherwise chewing on it will be horrible.
>>
No. 49570
>>49557
I don't, but I guess I could grind it myself... usually though, I let the anis cook with the rest and then take it out before serving the dish.
>>
No. 49572
>>49570
Then leave it as a whole and take it out I suggest. I remember grinding did not work for me and all the tiny pieces later on were shit to bite on, taste is extreme. I did it without the star anis and it was ok as well, but if you have it, I would put it in there.
>>
No. 49575
>>49555
And it was absolutely delicious, thank you.
>>
No. 49842
60 kB, 1500 × 1500
Hey Ernst, I just wanted to point out that there is EC-colored chocolate... I've seen the flavour early this year for the first time and wanted to make a photo for you guys, but then never actually bothered. Until today I realised I can just as well use an existing photo from the internet...

I actually does taste rather great, so if you get the chance, do try it.
>>
No. 49843
>>49842
Never seen one like that here. I think that companies sell different sets of product flavors in different countries (for example, I have never seen Lay's Ketchup here, but there is Lay's Kebab which I doubt that they sell in the West).

Speaking of Ritter Sport, it's about time they started to sell the one with spiced biscuit. It's probably my favorite flavor, and they usually appear in stores near winter holidays, but I haven't seen them yet this year, at least in the store I usually visit. Maybe I gotta look around bigger stores.
>>
No. 49844
>>49843
Wow, I'm surprised that Ritter Sport is available in Belarus. It's one of the last family enterprises in the business of sweets that is neither owned by unilever/nestlé/etc nor integrated into the stock market. I assumed they are almost exclusively sold in Germany and some neighbouring countries.
>>
No. 49847
>>49844
Dr. Oetker Pizza is sold in Russia.

>>49843
They produce so many varities that there are memes about it, sometimes some vanish. Some really work only for a season, but I guess Christmas spiced cookies or whatever must be a reappearing variety. But it's a bit late now tbh.

They had reduced prices to 57 cent for a bar lately in one of my supermarkets and I got crispy corn flakes, almond and orange, nuts and cranberries and nuts. The last was new but worst than grape and nuts.
>>
No. 49849
>>49844
Yeah, despite being about two times more expensive than other common chocolate like Nestle, Milka or Alpen Gold (only Toblerone is more expensive, I believe), it's still quite popular. Been a fan since the nineties, when we sometimes got them as a part of humanitarian aid from the West. Also, the slogan "Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut." is so well-known in the ex-USSR that it almost became a meme and was sometimes jokingly applied to other products of German industry (like MB Geländewagen or even Tiger tank).
>>
No. 49850
>>49847
>Dr. Oetker Pizza is sold in Russia.
In Belarus too, but, just like Ritter Sports, it's frigging expensive. Also, it's the only thicc frozen pizza being sold around here, as far as I know.

>it's a bit late now tbh
Chocolate has a fairly long shelf life, so I sometimes found them in stores well into February. Maybe I find me some later.

>I got crispy corn flakes, almond and orange, nuts and cranberries and nuts
There were dark, dark with hazelnuts, milk with hazelnuts, dark with marzipan and coconut in my nearby store, I believe. Probably gonna pick marzipan ones next time, they are breddy gud. Besides spiced biscuits I would also like to find rum-raisin-hazelnut ones, I really love them (which is weird, because I kinda hate raisins, especially in bread, but when they are in chocolate and coupled with nuts they somehow become likable for me).
>>
No. 49851
>>49850
The Ritter Sport section in more expensive supermarkets (so no Lidl, Aldi etc) is huge, they usually sell a variety of about 20 I'd say, maybe even 25.

>I would also like to find rum-raisin-hazelnut ones, I really love them (which is weird, because I kinda hate raisins, especially in bread, but when they are in chocolate and coupled with nuts they somehow become likable for me).

Funny, exactly the same for me, though really I only eat raisins in Ritter Sport chocolate. That is why I tried Cranberries and nuts but the cranberries were shit in comparison to raisins, can't believe I say that.
>>
No. 49852
>>49851
Ritter is sold at Aldi here
>>
No. 49857
>>49852
Lidl, Aldi are called "Discounter" in Germany. It's not an anglicism but a German made up word rooting in "to discount" afaik. They are cheap markets with a rather slim palette of goods. Thus Ritter Sport is on display in these Discounter markets, just like certain other brands, but the choice is reduced in comparison to the more expensive end on the spectrum of supermarkets (excluding organic food supermarkets here btw, which don't sell Ritter Sport, maybe their organic series). How many Ritter Sport varieties do you get at your Aldi? Dunno for Germany, but at Netto, another Discounter, the choice is between 5-10 I think, haven't been there for a while.
>>
No. 49865 Kontra
214 kB, 1500 × 1500
>>49842
I swear it alternates between "Ernstchan" and "Frnstchan" if you stare long enough at it.
>>
No. 49875
Brilliant, thank you!
>>
No. 49898 Kontra
>>49875
Forgot to link
>>49865
>>
No. 52361
327 kB, 1867 × 877
I want to try the wagyu meme steak, but it's so expensive. Can it possibly be worth it?
>>
No. 52364
229 kB, 899 × 1258
>>52361
In my opinion: No. I mean if you have money to burn, then why not, just do it for the lulz, but otherwise all that superexpensive luxury food isn't worth it, at least not for me. My taste buds are simple, and I'd rather get 5 schnitzels with potato salad on 5 consecutive sundays than one super expensive beef steak. Nothing against the beef steak, but at some point the quality difference doesn't justify the steep price. That probably goes for anything in life, so as long as you aren't one of those guys who only strives for the ultimate best things in life I'd say forget it and get a decent burger or something, and enjoy the rest of your money.
>>
No. 52365
21 kB, 236 × 340
>>52361
>Can it possibly be worth it?
If you're buying a flavor, then no. If you're buying a YOLO experience, then yes. So, don't think of it as a meal- meals are functional, repetitive things. Think of wagyu like a night at the theater- in the good seats. Nice if you can afford it- if it fits into your entertainment budget or whatever- but not something you should dip into savings for.
>>
No. 52401
24 kB, 600 × 400
>>52364
Pretty much this, which is not to say there isn't truly good food--there clearly is--but rather it's much more about just the profound sense of luxury and social grandstanding rather than anything actually tangible. There's just this certain point at which you've topped out on increasingly good quality, and beyond which you're getting rapidly diminishing returns, some of which can be just outright scams preying upon the human psychology of "if it costs that much more it's certainly so much better!"

I actually saw a Linus Tech Tips video which kind of reminds me of that actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLM_vO4d2Jg

I think that ironically enough in large part there's an essential cutoff point around the middleclass to upper middleclass at which point almost all goods top out, including food, after which all things either just become memes or are of such miniscule increases in quality that the 1000% premium you just paid is objectively worth a like 2% boost.

You can actually see this in a lot of computer hardware too. At that point it's pretty much just because you want to have the best of the best and aren't afraid to pay out the ass just because why not when you've millions of dollars to burn. Like even before the GPU pricing shitshow there were 2080ti's out there that cost two grand, and whose performance really wasn't much better than the msrp stock cards, which themselves weren't a ton better than lower in the stack, and tech itself is unusual in that there actually are real metrics to it. Despite that, you could easily have spent like $700 on a 4400mhz RAM kit which wouldn't actually improve your life at all over a $120 kit, just as I could easily figure out how to waste $10,000 on a computer that objectively wouldn't be so much greater than a $3,000 rig, and which if you're using an Epyc threadripper just because you want the luxury you may end up having actually lower overall gaming performance than had you gotten a much cheaper processor and thus the right tools for the job.

In cooking it's much of the same. Now that isn't to say there's not such a thing as objectively and subjectively much better food--again, there certainly is--but rather once you actually get past all the cheapest bydlo made from NJ chemicals trash and get beyond all the Sodexho and Sysco garbage or cheap Walmart trash there isn't actually a whole lot to gain.

I mean sure, there's some things which actually can be a real luxury, in fact we have ancestors here who all fought wars for it in controlling the spice routes. We actually can have a major difference in getting things like real Saffron and real Wasabi. But realistically speaking, because of international modern trade it's at once deteriorated the quality of our foodstuffs, as well as vastly increasing access to actually good stuff, which may be inflated prices depending where you are but ultimately does not descend to absurd luxury of any tangible benefit. Like once you can actually get a farmer's fresh tomatoes, or you can get those $5 a dozen eggs from a man's free range birds (and I actually do mean free range running around his lawn eating bugs, not "free range" chickens wandering a barren warehouse all day) it's at once a great luxury that tastes miles better than anything you ever had from the supermarket, as well as pretty much as far as you could go with it.

Meat is meat. You can get some smalltime farmer from Idaho to sell you some cut and it'll pretty much be just as a good. Provided he just lets his literal bydlo roam around grazing the fields and doesn't shoot them full of weird shit or mistreat them, you're not actually going to tell a difference.

In a certain sense, the real stuff can be all the "real" stuff, which seldom extends to any great advantage beyond super specific circumstances, like a real Stradivarious violin or Swiss watch or specific Italian leather goods which is mostly predicated on the actual person who's doing it in their own specific way with very specific materials, and which frankly while all the great chefs love to portray themselves as such, that $500 plate with muh handpicked artisanal yada blah blah isn't going to be phenomenally better than a $60 plate, just like mom's or grandma's cookery is still going to be as good if not better than restaurant food.

tl;dr save your dosh t. Cookeryfag
>>
No. 52402
>>52361
Not really. It won't be fundamentally different from any other marbled steak. The marbling is the big thing even. We export a lot of cheaper stuff of that variety to Japan for that reason, it does the same job.
>>
No. 52403
>>52402
I mean marbled meat by the way. They love that style a lot more than other countries for some reason.
>>
No. 52548
Is there any way to fix a half burned pizza? I'm not quite sure what happened but the bottom burned and smoked up while the top half wasn't fully cooked. Is there some way to scrape it off? I tried using a steel wool scrubby but it did nothing.
>>
No. 52550
>>52548
>a steel wool scrubby
My standard tool for scraping off burned bits is a butter knife. If you can't save the bottom, put it back under the broiler until the top is done- keep an eye on it. Then eat the cheese, sauce, and whatever crust you can access by digging down from the top. Never give up on a pizza.
>>
No. 52551
57 kB, 227 × 153
68 kB, 720 × 960
>>52550
>never give up on a pizza
>>
No. 52556
>>52548
Easy if you have some flour at home. Just make a simple yeast dough and let it go for a bit. Then roll it out to the approximate size of the original burnt pizza. Put it into the oven and bake until still a bit soft.
Then take it out. Incise around the rim of the burnt pizza and with a spatula detach the topping. It should all nicely keep together with the cheese.
Now transfer it to the new bottom, press and put it into the oven for another two or so minutes.
Enjoy your fresh pizza transplant.
>>
No. 52560
515 kB, 1666 × 937
Back on my bullshit...
>>
No. 52564
>>52560
Curious to see what you're cooking with that.
>>
No. 52792
34 kB, 480 × 300
>>52560
>"Taro soft flour cake"
Never seen that, is it similar to dried soy / dried gluten, i.e. it's initially very dry and hard, then soaks up liquid and gets spongy? Would totally put that in my digestive tract.
>Sichuan pepper
Did you know you can simply buy oil with a little Sichuan pepper extract mixed in? I've only found out recently, it numbs and is convenient. Tastes slightly bitter though, something I don't remember from the "proper" way, so there's no reason to switch if you don't mind dealing with the plant parts.

I think I need to find new sources of Taiwanese pickles soon. Of the three shops I used to frequent, the first one doesn't have any, the second one (Yuanye) scammed me so I'm boycotting them, and the third one is under collateral lockdown (it's only accessible through a now locked-down department store).
>>
No. 52824
>>52564
Planning to make some dan dan noodles or mapo tofu with the doubanjiang & sichuan pepper, gonna post an update this weekend. Otherwise most of the stuff is (or rather were at this point :D) snacks anyway.

>>52792
>"Taro soft flour cake"
Tbh I expected some sort of "wet" cakes, but this stuff is rather airy, dry & chewy. Found out it's also called sachima. Would definitely recommend, it's really good. So far the sweets from Taiwanese brands have never disappointed.
> gluten
Never had that stuff before, but the shop actually added a pack of gluten snacks with a low expiration date for free, it was interesting too, but overwhelmingly spicy. The Makgeolli was perfect for washing it down tho D

>Did you know you can simply buy oil with a little Sichuan pepper extract mixed in?
Saw this stuff in the shop, but decided to go with the real deal, since I also picked up a mortar & pestle recently. But good to know.

>I think I need to find new sources of Taiwanese pickles soon
I bought from ugou.de, they're not the cheapest but have pretty large selection and free shipping over 49€, so maybe worth checking
>>
No. 53286
3,5 MB, 4032 × 3024
>>52564
Finally got around to the mapo tofu!

Here's the recipe I used: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/real-deal-mapo-dofu-tofu-chinese-sichuan-recipe.html
I'd recommend using a bit less sichuan pepper & soy sauce/doubanjiang initially, then adding it to taste, I ended up overdoing it a bit.

I also replaced the minced meat with shiitake since it had gone bad over the weekend.
>>
No. 53753
3,1 MB, 4032 × 3024
Dan Dan noodles this weekend, good stuff though next time I shall make my own chili oil

Recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/dan-dan-noodles-recipe.html