/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 11776
49 kB, 950 × 161
Do you know about the "American Nihilist Underground Society"?

"ANUS was started in 1987 by Spinoza Ray Prozak and Chromatic Death, with L.B. Noire, Royal Flush and The Innocent joining one year later. From 1987-1992, ANUS ran a series of highly celebrated free speech/non-taboo bulletin boards that attracted hackers, metalheads, activists and artists.

After several run-ins with the law and others who found the idea of non-taboo/free speech/free thought disturbing enough to censor it, from both left and right, A.N.U.S. regrouped as we tried to find a way to explain our vision. Eventually, the thought process of our founder -- a somewhat unique interpretation of nihilism -- grew into a full-fledged philosophy which we have been trying to explain ever since.

From 1991 to 1995, A.N.U.S. maintained an internet presence through an FTP archive, overlapping a web server from 1993-1996 that was later supplanted by the anus.com domain name. Since 1996, A.N.U.S. has continued growing at its current address and has been busily offending newspapers, governments, wikipedia and keyboard warriors alike." - http://www.anus.com/zine/about/

They have a bunch of really interesting articles - http://www.anus.com/zine/articles/
>>
No. 11785
1,8 MB, 592 × 320, 0:29
Never heard of it. It sounds like a really unfunny version of Cacaphony Society or GNAA or something.
>>
No. 11792
I bet they were/are inspired by reading RAW's Illuminatus trilogy.
>>
No. 11819
Yeah, I remember that from back when I would type silly words into the URL bar.
>>
No. 11870
351 kB, 640 × 424
>>11819
t. 10 year old
>>
No. 12146
http://www.anus.com/zine/articles/people/ I found this one very motivating, especially for someone like me who had always a kind of "One is not able to change the world anyway" attitude
>>
No. 12168
73 kB, 545 × 455
>>12146
I liked the article in a "keep moving forward" kind of way. It's a better option than pic related.
>>
No. 29669
Bump
>>
No. 29685 Kontra
>>29669
Why did you need to bump this thread?

I recall posting about ANUS in the interesting blogs thread, but since this one already exists, I suppose this wouldn't hurt.

ANUS was dead serious about politics and especially music. For awhile, it was one of the first English-language websites that intellectualized Extreme Metal of all sorts and functioned as a kindergarten for neophyte Metalheads of all ages. It certainly took Black Metal out of the tape-trading underground into the mainstream long before the brigade of hucksters from Vice and other hipster-friendly clickbait sites swarmed in. In retrospect, much of that site's content is cringeworthy, but I wouldn't have been made aware of Extreme Metal fundamentals were it not for their album reviews.

ANUS's userbase now continues at Death Metal Underground:
https://deathmetal.org

Perhaps the biggest and most controversial thesis at that collective is the idea that Heavy Metal is the natural continuation of Classical music applied to Rock'n'Roll's arrangements. My own feelings on the Metal / Blues / Classical argumentum ad fedora that ANUSites always bring up are somewhat ambivalent. On the one hand, I think the shift away from Rock and Blues that Extreme Metal represents, especially in chromatically-based Thrash, Black and Death Metal, is self-evident and inarguable. It certainly is the single most attractive feature for all those genres.

However, the idea that there is some clearly obvious Classical or Neoclassical influence in Death Metal or Black Metal is pure unadulterated bullshit. I think this particular pillar of the ANUS catechism---that Extreme Metal is a natural extension of Classical---derives from confused and muddled thinking, along with their well-documented desire or perhaps deep-seated emotional need to over-intellectualize the creative processes of young musically-inclined youths, especially when said musicians' collective mental capabilities couldn't power a diode. It's also worth pointing out that the typical ANUSite embraces social and political atavism. They have emotionally and intellectually primed themselves to fetishize the past. Perhaps imagining that Metal's recent heritage lies in Mozart and Beethoven stems in part from that habit.

In short: Extreme Metal's move away from Blues and Rock didn't represent a move back towards Classical or a re-imagining of Classical music for the modern world. Rather, it represented a move towards something entirely different.
>>
No. 29854
>>29685
It was last thread on page 25...
>>
No. 29886
If you don't know about ANUS you are a either a zoomer or a normie.

ANUS is what you get when you mix Varg Vikernes with Metal fedoras. Metal fedoras autistic enough to have made a huge ass library about metal bands, one of the first (if not the first) comprehensive catalogs on the internet of such scale.

All in all there are plenty of articles which are very spot on and are good reads on their own, but you will also find many that are either 3edgy or just tryharding.

Honestly it am(us)azes me that the site is this alive and well.
>>
No. 29888 Kontra
>>29886
It was one of the first "redpill" sites. Unfortunately the side admin is a schizo and most of what he says is wrong, especially when it comes to deifying extreme metal.
>>
No. 29891 Kontra
>>29685
What I find most offensive about that thesis is that they eschew or decry metal that actually IS influenced by classical music (neoclassical metal, "shred" metal, Power Metal, bands like Children of Bodom) and instead force some meme that just isn't true, that Morbid Angel and Darkthrone have something in common with Mozart. There were even reviews of death metal bands making references to "sonata form", it was just cringy as fuck.