/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 13753
922 kB, 990 × 1200
When communicating in English do you sometimes make mistakes because you often see native speakers make them? Which ones get you?

Grammar and spelling mistakes are really common in with native Englishers online, I imagine that must really mess with people trying to learn. Please discuss this topic.
>>
No. 13756
Years of KC has me naturally inserting Runglish-isms into my posts. Usually this takes the form of formatting and unnatural turns of phrase, rather than explicitly broken English.

Sometimes I wonder if ESL posters have been misled by it.
>>
No. 13759
1,0 MB, 1480 × 1894
>>13753
No, the mistakes I make have the differences between the English grammar and the Eastern Slavic grammar as their origin, and usually have to do with articles, prepositions and verb tenses. I do sometimes use figures of speech more common in vernacular English and some of its dialects than in literary one, but I don't think that they can be considered "mistakes", rather peculiarities, or, at the worst, cacography.

>>13756
Native Russian speakers will notice it right away (provided, of course, that you use actual Runglish and not the abomination they try to pass as the Russian accent in Hollywood flicks and such), and I'm sure other people will see that something is wrong too, because I doubt that you're the only one they use as a reference.
>>
No. 13765
When I make mistakes like those, I'm not making them because there is a monkey see, monkey do situation, but because I hear and English voice as I type out something in English, and I try to imitate what it says in text, and I sometimes screw things up because of the marvellous phonetics of the English language.
>>
No. 13766
Using you and me instead of you and I.

But I just speak international english 80% of the day, so it really it's do n'ot matter.
>>
No. 13767
As person, who learned english and continue learning trought movies, video games and imageboards, I'll say just that all mine knowlege is just trying to repeat what I see and hear.
>>
No. 13768
I dunno man. If people are learning English from how I talk then they're going to have a bad time. I'm not very eloquent in person. I swear like a sailor, even by Australian standards and that's probably not the most broken part of how I talk due to mixing colloquialisms from different states/countries, not to mention just using non-words (e.g. muchly) in common speech.
>>
No. 13769
>>13768
>professional Aussie English education
ebin
>>
No. 13770
i prefer to learn the actually spoken language over the grammatically correct one.

how do you identify the russian spy?
he's the only one speaking correct german.
>>
No. 13773
>>13768
Oh man, i would love to hear you vocaroo a typical sentence from you
>>
No. 13775
326 kB, 1200 × 956
132 kB, 504 × 1309
>>13770
>funny joke
You should be suspicious of anyone who, in common speech, refuses to strand their prepositions. I may be one of the last native speakers to place them properly, but this is more of an involuntary grammatical tick than loyalty to archaic sentence structure.
>>
No. 13776
48 kB, 360 × 570
>>
No. 13782
No and I frequently notice that it bothers me when native speakers make mistakes that I wouldn't make (such as you're<->your).
>>
No. 13783
>>13766
>Using you and me instead of you and I.
That isn't a mistake except by the standards of hyper-autists.

Even in university environments between professors and PhDs, everybody naturally uses you and me. Even in writing it's probably just as common, to the extent that I will consciously notice whenever people use "you and I" instead of the more natural "you and me".
>>
No. 13784
>>13783
What about "me and you"? Or using "me" with a name instead of a pronoun, like, for example, "Vodka was too expensive for me and Vasya, so we bought wine"?
>>
No. 13785
>>13753
Probably most slavic imageboard users learned language through music, movies and kc. English schools here teach us how to use language properly, probably even better than natives do with classic literature british form(school teachers even sometimes don't know american words). While i think that most slavic posters are just parroting phrases they have heard or read on kc. Atleast i do so. It's hard to go on courses or learn english the proper way, i am too lazy for this.
One of my friends finished english courses with perfect grades and he later wrote in corporate chat that "they are all pajeets, where are articles and times?"
Other story is that i worked with chinese for some years. English was our spoken language between the tech personnel. So i learnt chinkglish which is even more simplified form of english than runglish. Instead of sentences they mostly use words, because its similar to how chinese speak in foreign languages. Also instead of articles they use pro-forms to point at things. Probably because of this i had better english skills in 2010.
>>
No. 13795
>>13784
It's incorrect but that is how native speakers naturally speak so it is ok.
>>
No. 13796
It always confused me how native speakers constantly mix up "your" and "you're", since they're not homonyms either kazakh or russian.

Also, I still have problems with perfect tense and punctuation. I'm shit at punctuation in all three languages I know.
>>
No. 13799
>>13769
Australian English is a thing unto itself mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English

>>13773
It wouldn't work because it wouldn't be natural. It'd sound forced because it was.
>>
No. 13802
>>13768
It is true that americans and british persons often not properly understand australian?
>>
No. 13807
>>13802
No. A lot of local slang and especially our diminutives can go over foreigners' heads but it's not like we're speaking different languages. It's less that they can't understand us, and more that we talk funny.
>>
No. 13808
>>13807
I just heared that first Mad Max movie was "translated" dubbed when was shown in USA
And that in USA they absoluetly don't know about first mad max and know only second movie that was called initially just "Road warrior"
>>
No. 13814
i don't know when i make mistakes ;_;
>>
No. 13859
i mispelled "here" as "hear" the other day. not sure if i should celebrate or be ashamed.
>>
No. 13860
I always mix up similar words when i write.
Stuff like though/tough, change/chance, life/live. That's the stuff i have trouble with.
>>
No. 13863
Live/Life

I dond ged id :DDDDD (help)
>>
No. 13871
120 kB, 1000 × 1434
>>13863
the essence of life is to live.
>>
No. 13874
36 kB, 350 × 350
>>13863
Leben heißt Leben
Wenn wir alle die Kraft spueren
Leben heißt Leben
Wenn wir alle den Schmerz fuehlen
Leben heißt Leben
Heißt die Mengen erleben
Leben heißt Leben
Heißt das Land erleben
>>
No. 13881
>>13863
live is verb and life is noun
except when theres many lives thats a noun
except when someone lives, thats a verb
>>
No. 13889
58 kB, 298 × 298
>>13881
I'm amazed at how we all learn these rules as children, and only realize how complicated they are when studying a second language.
>>
No. 13898
101 kB, 235 × 269
KC ruined my english. it was literature major tier before because I mostly self learned it from books and video games, now I insert foreign bullshit and runglish, also finglish. Also bad grammar and a ton of swear words. I am a monster and you made me like this. Take responsibility!
>>
No. 13902
>>13898
Among all the things KC had ruined thorough its existence, literate English is one of the least losses.
>>
No. 13908
>>13898
I actually feel exactly the same way and I'm a native English speaker. Just hearing it so damn much and reading about it so much has been destroying my ability to speak properly at least online. I just randomly drop words often, forget where to put words in sentences and how to construct them, and I am starting to suck at the grammar too. I think I am also starting to know enough Russiaisms to sound like one who's speaking mostly fluent English.

My language has been russified.
>>
No. 13909
I think it's more complex than this. I read a lot of stuff academic stuff, news articles, some romance, etc. Online communities are not my main source of english, so supposedly I'm having access to good english. But I only express myself in english in imageboards and other online communities, and I suspect that my written english is really bad, and it's bad because of just this, the fact that I don't have to put a lot of effort in such places.

Basically, understanding language is not the same as expressing language, reading in good english will not translate into writing in good english either.
>>
No. 13910
>>13898
I separate meme English from normal English.
>>
No. 13911
I am hearing "cannot into"(не может в) in Russian quite often, i even used it myself. It's so weird that i notice it every time i hear it
>>
No. 13912
126 kB, 1088 × 581
>>13908
Add rolled R
Patalize consonants before eh-like sounds
Pronounce H like KH
Pronounce TH like S or Z
Pronounce hard G in -ING
t. Russian accent expert, offering free lessons
>>
No. 13915
>>13912
I think it would be easier if I just kept hearing recordings of Russians speaking broken English
>>
No. 13916
884 kB, 0:56
51 kB, 753 × 640
>>
No. 13918
Similar mistakes to natives, I guess:

a/an, their/there, your/you're, it's/its

etc. etc.
>>
No. 13919
397 kB, 1029 × 808
53 kB, 720 × 540
>>13918
>natives
>it/it's
Every language must have these little mistakes that even native learners make. This paricular one used to trip me up more than any other. It was easy to remember to use an apostrophe when it became the contraction it's, because that follows the pattern for forming other contractions. However, when using it, and needing to indicate possesion, that breaks standard possesive forming rules. I got so used to putting an 's to indicate possession, that for the longest time I incorrectly added the apostrophe when using its as a gender neutral possesive pronoun.
What's strange is that this error rarely occurred in academic writing, and so there was never a teacher's red pen to correct my mistake.
t.erstwhile apostrophe abuser
>>
No. 13921
>>13919
i only use its because usually you can figure out which one it is by context. same with typing youre and dont. im pretty lazy i know, but its not my fault ' key is so far from the usual characters used in typing that it becomes a meaningless struggle.
>>
No. 13923
>>13918
it's/its
Ahhh I only now get it

a/an
What difference?
>>
No. 13927
45 kB, 1235 × 371
>>13921
engrish keyboard has »'« on easy access.
>>
No. 13931
>>13927
It on all keyboards should be tbh. Only differences in languages is that they use different keybinds if you do Shift+Alt
>>
No. 13935
>>13921
It's right near the enter key for forming new paragraphs. It's right there dude.

>>13923
For some reason we only use A when followed by something that begins with a consonant and AN with something that begins with a vowel, except I think for Y which also gets A. It has to do with pronuncniation. Wait. A useful item. An apostrophe. Huh I guess it doesn't even always work like that.

This is why I always assumed English was a hard language to learn. An other aka another language seems to be more concrete. In English the rules charge constantly and arbitrarily don't apply. An often occurance.
>>
No. 13938
>>13935
>I always assumed English was a hard language to learn

It's one of those easy to learn but impossible to master things. Learning english on a level that lets you communicate with others is easy but everything above that gets hard.
>>
No. 13941
not really related, but when I see "loose" instead of "lose" I immediately know that whoever wrote it is a German.

also I caught myself mixing than and then a couple of times lately. I think my mind is decaying.
>>
No. 13947
>>13941
Hey Egypt. Why would it be a German who does that? Although I also see some pretty retarded Americans doing that.
>>
No. 13949
>>13919
This it's against its I only ever get wrong when writing too fast and not checking my spelling before sending. If I reread that sentence I immediately find the error. Same with then and than.
I assume that is the same for native speakers. It must be.

>>13923
>a versus an
You put an instead of a if the following word starts with a vocal, so you do not "chop wood" like my english teacher used to put it, when speaking a sentence out. But putting an wrongly everywhere had become a running gag back in the old days of /int/.

>>13935
As a German native spaeker, English was by far the most easy language to learn for me. It might simply be for the reason that it was just everywhere in popular culture when growing up, but it also has a lot of similarities with our language. I guess kids who grew up in the other Germany had it a lot harder still.

I noticed in the past few years that writing and reading a lot on imageboards does not help my English getting any better though. Quite the contrary.
>>
No. 13950
>>13947
that is a good question. I never know why, but every single time I see that in any online means of communication, it is always a German for some reason.
>>
No. 13954
>>13950
A possible explanation could be that loose exactly translates to lose in German. But the German lose is pronounced completely different than the English lose or loose.
But I can't say that I have seen this mistake a lot myself, be it from Germans or others.
>>
No. 13958
>>13954
ah, makes sense.
I have worked with a lot of Germans, usually they have very good english but sometimes they slip up and turn back to normal or correct themselves. I've gotten used to it
>>
No. 13960
>>13958
I often hear my countrymen talking absolute terrible meme-English with all the "ze" and "zat" from hell. As if they are doing it on purpose only to piss the people around them off.

Btw Here after "Mein Name ist" you can hear how the German lose is pronounced. https://youtu.be/yMAa_t9k2VA?t=24
But in this case it is a family name of course and would be written Lohse.
>>
No. 13965
dsrtydt
>>
No. 13967
>>13960
I normally like the sound of german english, but that's because I like the sound of german in general.

>Lohse
microautismus: every single time after I see the loose/lose slip ups, I correct them in my mind and I tend to pronounce lose as it would be in German - like Lohse.
>>
No. 13975
>>13967
>I correct them in my mind and I tend to pronounce lose as it would be in German - like Lohse
But that would be wrong!
/autism
>>
No. 13976
>>13975
MY MIND IS A SPAGHETTI PARTY WHERE EVERYBODY IS IN PAIN
>>
No. 13986
75 kB, 1022 × 574
>>13967
Mein Name ist Lohse. Ich kaufe hier ein.
>>
No. 13993
>>13986
Ja, bitte?
>>
No. 14007
>>13993
Eine Dose Saftgulasch bitte.
>>
No. 14068
1,9 MB, 1337 × 845
>>13986
Ein' Kümmelkäse und zwei Pfund Tomaten, bitte!