/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 13810
260 kB, 1400 × 575
65 kB, 640 × 640
There was a couple of threads on specific thematics - about maps, about trevel for specific countries, about people's culture in different regions, so why not have united thread for everthung like this in one place? Disscus travelling of Ernst and travelling overall, show videos from exotic countries and tell others about place you live in. Interesting places and maps also allowed.
>>
No. 13811
115 kB, 1000 × 899
498 kB, 1398 × 931
157 kB, 1062 × 598
90 kB, 1021 × 580
I want start from very confusing question: Nigeria

From information I know, it have pretty high GDP for african country, it also have some nice cities and regions. Trought in outher sources it still described as dangerous to travel so I really want hear more objective view on country from other people who know actually more about it. I'd like to visit blck africa one day. So - Nigeria is what often described as "shithole" and same bad african country and really dangerous to visit, or it more or less okay for someone who have post-USSR standarts of quality (not very high)?
>>
No. 13815
142 kB, 1024 × 768
1,0 MB, 1920 × 1280
259 kB, 1024 × 678
Nigeria is a shithole with very high crime rate. If you want a nice African country go to Namibia. Nice nature and developed cities.
>>
No. 13816
Nigeria has biggest GDP in Africa simply because it has the biggest population, which also means that it is bound to have some nice neighbourhoods full of rich people in its main cities, but the country is complete chaos. North part has muslim guerrilla, south part has poverty.
>>
No. 13819
156 kB, 800 × 600
1,8 MB, 4104 × 2736
3,4 MB, 3000 × 1996
97 kB, 960 × 638
>>13815
unfortunately there is still slum poverty next to windhuk (katutura), but overall namibia is doing okay for an african country with little natural resources. it's politcally stable, too. also namibia and swakopmund in particular is still sort of german turf in africa :3
i wish the govt as well as private individuals would care a bit more about namibia. german remains an official language in namibia and the südwester community still feels connected to us.

t. has relatives there
>>
No. 13820
>>13811
It's not safe. Army robs you with guns. Basically you can be not afraid to die and rich zones are safe. But you will be definitely robbed if you are there for the first time.
>>
No. 13821
>>13820
There are tons of abductions all the time
>>
No. 13823
>>13815
>>13819
Interesting. I should read about this more. I already forgot somehow that there was german colony in Africa. I guess in africa everywhere interesting nature one way or another, but well, if I ever going to visit africa I want best experienc possible.

Overall, exept arabian and south africa, what best african country in therms of quality of life and what african country have potential economicl grow in future? Ethiopia? Angola?

>t. has relatives there
This is really interesting too. You in contact? You was in Namibia multiple times?

>>13816
>>13820
Okay, so this is more unsafe than safe. About far deep regions, yeah, I heared that there... bad stuff happens.
>>
No. 13857
>>13823
>You in contact?
my mom takes care of maintaining the connection.

>You was in Namibia multiple times?
nope. i actually want to visit them and i could probably even live there for a while. but i'm socially awkward irl, don't have gf and never met them in person. it's too much of a challenge for me.;_; at least i'm not a kissless virgin
>>
No. 13858
>>13857
You should go, i would go if i had the change and might visit South Africa, Zimbabwe and Tanzania as well and make a nice little IWO for Ernst.
I'm a social retard as well but i guess it would be worth it.
>>
No. 14611
>>13857
How overall quality of life of this german people in this country? African countries of cource not very rich and not very safe. German people feels better there than averege black citizens or they live kinda same? Why they not go back to germany for better life quality?
>>
No. 14645
>>13858
i don't know how to smalltalk plus i have no sense of humour, so i'm afraid that after we'd br done talking about family, news and general life here and there i'd snap back into my usual mode of talking very little and being a boring, middle-aged single uncle from germany.

>>14611
i'm no expert as i never have been there, but i'd say compared with standards in germany german namibians lead generally a decent "middle class" or upper middle class life in terms of personal wealth, or they are wealthy business people. many black namibians belong to the middle class as well, but they also tend to struggle more often financially i.e. are poor.
>Why they not go back to germany for better life quality?
young namibians may come here to study. after they've graduated they may decide to not go back to namibia, because there are more and different career opportunities on offer here for them. for older südwesters it wouldn't make sense to leave, because they would have to sell their farms, close their business or quit their job. also they live there since many generations and feel themselves both as namibians and germans.
>>
No. 15354
1,4 MB, 1900 × 1184
49 kB, 606 × 500
149 kB, 897 × 1280
I have a geography based question:

Do people in larger countries actually have decent knowledge of their country's geography?

I ask this because while reading about the Russian Civil War, I constantly had to pause to better understand where exactly was this or that city located in.
It's fairly easy to be a Portuguese person and understanding where all the 5 major Town sized cities are, but I find it hard to believe the average Russian juggles the knowledge of the several cities in his heda.

This also makes me think because in school we had to name all the rivers that our country has in Geography class, but I suppose anyone from a decently sized country wouldn't have this.
>>
No. 15357
>>15354
I dont know every river no, but in general yes I think we do. This is also because we are often severely atomized and have people we know or have known all over the country so I imagine with Russians it is much the same. Of course Americans also tend to know about fuckall beyond their own country though.
>>
No. 15358
>>15354
Most Americans have a very poor idea even of their own country. They will know where the most important states are, generally, but beyond that the other parts of the country will be names and vague cultural associations devoid of any firm place in a mental map.
I don't think the average Californian could find Pittsburgh on a map, and I don't think the average Pennsylvanian could find San Jose on a map.
Even within California, we have cities of several hundred thousand that Angelenos and San Franciscans don't have a firm idea of the location of.
>>
No. 15369
>>15354
Most Russians have a very poor knowledge of this country's geography. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most people in this country would not be able to name any five cities or towns, aside from Moscow and Saint Petersburg, if they were presented with a map like the one you posted only with all the names of the cities erased.
>>
No. 15375
>>15354
Australia is large but most of it is empty desert and the population is heavily focused around the major cities. So there is not actually much to know about.
>>
No. 15380
>>15354
It depends on person. We don't name all rivers of cource, but in georgraphy we learned biggest cities, deferal districts, production and economics of regions, climmate zones, minorities and internal republics, borders of countries aroun us, biggest rivers and also had separate pack of lessons about our own region, it's cities, rivers and all things like that, so on this lessons we pretty much learned things like people in smaller countries.

Personally I may say I know georgraphy well and may name main and a dozen of minor cities, roads, regions and all things like that and show them on map if you want.
>>
No. 15386
>>15380
I finally figured it out. I don't think it has anything at all to do with your fat fingers pressing the wrong buttons on a phone. I think you're dyslexic.
>>
No. 15390
236 kB, 820 × 643
>>15380
>It depends on person
It's the same in the US. Schools teach a lot about geography, but whether or not the average adult retains it is another question. Songs can help a lot.
>50 States and Capitals Song by Wakko Warner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-0rJKtbVQ

>Yakko Warner did one for world geography too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w
>>
No. 16192
>>15390
Unironically how I know all the Presidents.
Sometimes it takes a while because I have to sing up to that point in my head.
>>
No. 16207
>>16192
Singing has been the form of remembering history thorough the history of the mankind. Sagas, legends and so were sung.
So I think it's pretty natural if you have to sing up all the Presidents. It's just our nature.
>>
No. 16214
>>16192
Sames.
>>
No. 16253
>>16192
I find that the early 19th century is a real fogbank for my knowledge of US presidents.

In some ways it's embarrassing that I know about as much about US leadership than I do about Britain's, but then PM is a more boring role. Personal executive power is far more constrained in parliamentary systems.
>>
No. 16277
>>16253
Early 19th century was a time of a lot of important structural developments, but very little happening in terms of active politics. Even the wars were inconclusive or irrelevant except as part of structural processes.

I can forgive people for not knowing any presidents between Jefferson and Buchanan.
>>
No. 20391
>>20390
Stop shitposting across all board.
>>
No. 21027
1,8 MB, 1436 × 705
Maybe it's kind of lame idea, but I think we can share funny, interesting, horryfying or just wierd locations we found on google maps
>>
No. 21029
3,2 MB, 1920 × 1080
2,7 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,5 MB, 1242 × 931
We used to need reconnaissance satellites to see things like this. The final resting spot for the Lun MD-160 Ekranoplan at a naval station in Kaspiysk. It's sort of sad; that plane was incredible.
>>
No. 21032
>>21029
These satellites used to have such high resolution?
That's incredible, I'd see again my places from years ago.
>>
No. 21035
>>21032
This is modern photos
>>
No. 21046
168 kB, 915 × 686
327 kB, 1280 × 1811
795 kB, 2970 × 2238
>>21032
>These satellites used to have such high resolution?
Like >>21035 said, those are modern, but old spy photos were surprisingly good. This 1st picture is one of the earliest CIA images of an ekranoplane. That was taken in the 1960s, and by the 1970s they were taking pictures from space that are comparable to Google Earth. Picture 2 is from 1979 and the third one is 1982.

Declassified reconnaissance satellite program:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KH-9_Hexagon
>>
No. 21071
>>21046
Tbh this pics of another ecranoplan, КМ-1
>>
No. 21147
638 kB, 900 × 600
68 kB, 1000 × 750
150 kB, 800 × 533
92 kB, 700 × 467
Recently - like a couple of days ago was shown last episode of 3rd season of grand tour. And it was really great! They was on really fun trip in rural mongolie - their task was to build car from parts in mongolian desert, and then manage to reach nearby city that was like 600 or 800 km from where they was dropt by helicopter with limited food.

Anyway,I searched by google maps around monglian cities and fuck, mongolia is russia! But like even more poor russia than russia itself. Streets of capital exept like 2-3 buildings looks absoluetly like mix of very rural central russian city adn very northen half abdoned cities. Everythin on cyrillic of cource, with many russian words. Cars with number plates only very much looks more like far asian countries - china, japan etc.
I actually like how much space there - it's probably most empty country on earth. If I ever become billionere, I think, it'd be place where I'll live
>>
No. 21234
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0GZtxA1B9g
Today going to watch this video. I already warched an hour of it. Guess it'll be fun when we will leave Canada. I know east coast not as good as west one.
>>
No. 21239
1,2 MB, 1915 × 1012
>>21234
Driving on highways across America; those are some good times.
>I know east coast not as good as west one
California's Pacific Coast Highway is amazing; it's a combination of forests, mountains, and the ocean. In some spots you can pull over and just walk down to the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDXKC9e7Zg

These videos are giving me serious wanderlust.
>>
No. 21261
3,5 MB, 2860 × 1784
>>21234
God damn, that is way more cozy than I expected.

That feel when they drive past my old hometown. I've driven that stretch of 95 between South Jersey and DC so many times.
>>
No. 21266
>>21239
>California's Pacific Coast Highway
Funny that you metioned it, I found way from San Diego to Los Angeles very densley populated and highway is very restricted - like you driving not on road, but on bobsleigh track lol. However some places are really fun
https://youtu.be/o4xTvovggvM

>>21261
There other videos I seen and found interesting:
https://youtu.be/YoHYD5YNybI - from Reno to Las Vegas. Not highway but mostly rural 2-side road that always turn, you know, this cozy old style of roads with soul.
https://youtu.be/Uax4swBEQJE - for some reason I like this higway, there a couple of interesting places on road. Guess my interest in this region and road birn after Fallout New Vegas game lol
https://youtu.be/Ndfv5VlzfW0 - and what can count as continuation of previous video, driving to hoover dam.
>>
No. 21275
1,7 MB, 640 × 368, 0:04
>>21266
>highway is very restricted - like you driving not on road, but on bobsleigh track
A perfect analogy. You can end up going 65mph just few feet away from a wall of orange barrels and concrete barriers. I've actually done the same Los Angeles to San Diego drive as this first video. Even with miles of signage before the last U.S. exit, I still somehow missed it. They allow you to do a U-turn at the border.

>Reno to Las Vegas
I captured a moment 9 minutes into this drive where something comes out of the desert in a cloud of dust.
>>
No. 21294
>>21275
It's probably bike on dirt road or something.
>>
No. 21327
2,0 MB, 1012 × 1354
>>21266
>Vegas to LA

>There was only one road back to LA. Just a flat out highspeed burn through Barstow, Baker, and Berdoo.

I've never made that drive. But I've gone from Phoenix to LA. And let me tell you, that is some desolate country. They actually have to post signs like 'last gas for 50 miles' because you might die if you get stranded. But there's also the Patton Tank Museum there. Pic related.
>>
No. 21328
132 kB, 1080 × 720
>>21327
>last gas for 50 miles
America small.
t. emptyland
>>
No. 21329
>>21328
Straya is intense.

And here I thought Texas and New Mexico had wasteland. But even here, there are (dead, depressing) towns every 50 to 100 miles.
>>
No. 21331
>>21329
It's pretty similar for most of the country here. It's only once you get into the middle of the continent where it gets really sparse. That and Nullabor, but that place is so empty we've run a highway for nearly 150km without a bend.

It's also to do with the fact we have 25 million people in a country that has just slightly less land than the 48 connected states of America.
>>
No. 21332
>>21331
I grew up in densely populated PA/NJ. Moving to Texas was revelation. I had no conception of how empty the country could be.

Initially, I lived in DFW, which is basically urban sprawl for 50 miles in any direction. But once you get out from there, it's nothing but ranches and farmland.

Now I live way the fuck out there in the 11th biggest city in Texas. Where civilization is five hours away. It's a bit of a culture shock for me still.

I guess that's what makes it so weird for me. In America, you can go from Europe-tier citiscape to empty desert frontier while staying in the same time zone.
>>
No. 21336
2,2 MB, 1440 × 766
>>21328
In places like that there most times just no roads at all
>>
No. 21338
155 kB, 900 × 641
133 kB, 462 × 600
228 kB, 1024 × 683
>>21336
The roads exist. They aren't sealed though. At worst, they're 4WD only but most of the desert trails are actually highly compacted dust and sand that isn't actually that hard to move on. Tbh, I'd rather do the Gunbarrel than a sealed highway in Russia from what I've seen and the Great Northern Highway is both B I G and sealed.
>>
No. 21339
>>21338
Oh I mistypes, I mean in russia lol. Cities of Анадырь, Нарьян-Мар, Норильск, Воркута has no automoble road to them, and maintained by railroad or by sea and planes only. Магадан probably is only example of giant goad to shithole in nowhere.

https://youtu.be/SEmH_3PcqVw - From Saint Petersburg on R21 road in Legingrad oblast'.
https://youtu.be/5aG0r5fxpfo - Most important road in russia - from Moscow to SPb in winter
https://youtu.be/fykcG-6uuJM - Unnamed (!!) road in south Astrakhan oblast' near Kazahstan border (warning - full russian road experience!)
https://youtu.be/ojbjUOKIOHI - another Rural russain experience Magnitogorsk-Ufa
>>
No. 21340
2,8 MB, 5472 × 3648
>>21339
Probably has a lot to do with no culture of highway on the Russia, though for most things the really isolated shitholes in Australia just use train or airlifting too. It's usually both faster and cheaper. The Gunbarrel highway really only exists because the government needed some form of access to bumfuck egypt for weapons testing. It's been replaced by the Great Central Road which is actually in good nick but that one is busier, in better condition and is considerably less post-apocalyptic mysterious & isolated.
>>
No. 21343
>>21340
>Probably has a lot to do with no culture of highway on the Russia,
This, combined with very tiny population plus fact that major parts of siberia is just one giant swamp on thousands of kilometrs and absolutely impassible during spring. Cleaning roads in winter also cost many money.
For this purpose of maintaining this cities (almost of them not natural, but artificial soviet oil or industry cities tbh) was created civil atomic fleet.
>>
No. 21344
>>21340
> The Gunbarrel highway really only exists because the government needed some form of access to bumfuck egypt for weapons testing.

Hah, kind of same reason why you have really nice road thought absoluetly empty Karelia - because many military and fleet stuff in Kola Peninsula.
>>
No. 21561
22 kB, 452 × 562
266 kB, 1280 × 853
257 kB, 1600 × 900
318 kB, 2000 × 880
Want to make some posts in thread about particulary interesting random places I accidentaly found on map

Overseas Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon

This couple of tiny islands, which located directly south from Canadian island of Newfoundland. This basicly all what remaind of previously very big french colonial territory in North America, known as Nouvelle-France.
There a couple of historical things happened on this islands, like for example in 1778 this islands was attacked by British Empire for France Support of American revolution and they returned under French jurisdiction only after Napoleonic wars. During 2nd world war they was under vichy goverment, but in end of 1941 there landed troops of Free France and after some sort of plebiscite, islands obviously become part of Free France movment.
Most populated island is more small south one, Saint Pierre with city of same name with population around 5456 people. In island Miquelon there are around 624 people. And bigger twin island, and smaller one have their own Airfields.

This is a cool streetview of Saint Pierre city street near sea, as you can see, a lot frech flags, and while there some numbers of american cars, more cars are actually european, paticulary obviously french. Numberplates is Frecnh standart, but I see some north-american sized plates on some cars.
https://www.google.ru/maps/@46.7789807,-56.1732741,3a,60y,52.65h,89.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF0RHoDK-zz9qC5y6HPFfMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=ru&authuser=0

Winter there looks like not that hard for a russian, but I suspect there high humidity and windy because well, this is islands in ocean, and not biggest ones. I wonder how there with internet (probably okay, since it's near big canadian island which very close to continent, so this is not just 2 drops of rocks in open ocean)

They also have kind of wierd water economic zone around them
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Saint-Pierre_and_Miquelon_EEZ_map-en.svg/960px-Saint-Pierre_and_Miquelon_EEZ_map-en.svg.png
>>
No. 25652
2,8 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,3 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,2 MB, 3264 × 1836
3,6 MB, 8096 × 1744
IWO from Belozersk, remnats of probably most ancient plase in russia.
Poor as usual, but very quiet and cozy place. Almost no ussr times buildings - many imperial and even some pre imperial structures. Very peacefull place - also assburger statue.
>>
No. 26165
1,7 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,6 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,6 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,9 MB, 3264 × 1836
IWO from Kubinka tank musem. Giant set of hangars with hell lot of very interesting stuff. Soviet experimental and mass produced stuff you before can see only in documentaries - but some german engeneering you can't see anywhere else too, some collection of french, hungarian, USA, british stuff too. Yes, I touched Object 279 and Maus :--DDDD
>>
No. 26166
>>26165
>hungarian
I know that one of the Russian tank museum holds the only working example of a Hungarian Toldi tank.
>>
No. 26167
>>26165
Is it Kubinka that has that Kugelpanzer? That thing is ebun.
>>
No. 26171
1,4 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,2 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,4 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,0 MB, 3264 × 1836
>>26166
Dunno about working but currently in hungarian part was shown examples of two different toldi and turan, also anti-tank Zrínyi.

>>26167
Yeah, sadly there was not pz.I and II in desplayed collection - dunno if they don't have it or it was moved in different place for current time, same as Tigers and БТ-7
>>
No. 26172
1,5 MB, 3264 × 1836
737 kB, 1016 × 568
Yes, this is exeact the same Hotchkiss H39 from this famous "Ebin" photo, it was just moved to another hangar X---DDD
>>
No. 27410
2,5 MB, 1447 × 866
667 kB, 800 × 480
473 kB, 780 × 468
Just plotted this 40 mile kayak trip. What do you guys think, boring or epic adventure? Any other places good?
>>
No. 27432
>>27410
You must be in great physical shape for you to even consider a trip like this one. Seems pretty inderasting so long as you don't collide with something in the middle of the lake.
>>
No. 27436
>>27432
I will have a lifejacket and emergency phone incase something goes wrong. Usually i can go about 15-20 miles a day so i can take an extra day if i need to. Are you the russian who make that kayaking IWO on kohlchan?
>>
No. 27461
>>27436
No, that wasn't me
>>
No. 27512
78 kB, 999 × 508
>hey man, are you a third-worlder?
>why yes, how would you know?
>>
No. 27522
>>27512
You go to Europe? What country you want to visit?
>>
No. 27527 Kontra
>>27522
See top.
I could apply even being a millionaire, I'd be given a visa with a little term.
...Oh wait, I wouldn't need a visa at all if I were a millionaire.
>>
No. 27529
>>27527
I kept thinking if I were a multimillionaire I'd invite bernds out to drink in USA with me. That was before realizing bernds are fucking assholes and retards and notably 4kanker, but that was in like 2014.

Now I think that I would still actually invite Ernst over though. I mean like, 88 million rich. I could just pay brick to be my personal web guy and hire directly from here and pay for people's first year rent or something.
>>
No. 27594
>>27529
Except... who would want to go to the US and deal with all the harassment at the airport?

To pretty much all people I know here the US is dead in terms of traveling. Which is too bad, I'd love to see the rockys one day.
>>
No. 27650
3,2 MB, 4032 × 3024
Went to the Ukraine
>>
No. 27783
219 kB, 960 × 960
299 kB, 960 × 959
243 kB, 921 × 619
119 kB, 1080 × 566
I suppose my country is "exotic" to most people on this boards so I'll show you a bit.
This is the capital Quito. It's usually considered to be divided in two, the modern part and the older part. I'll post the former first.
>>
No. 27784
370 kB, 1024 × 756
555 kB, 2048 × 1180
202 kB, 1280 × 853
316 kB, 1600 × 1000
And here comes the older part.
>>
No. 27785
131 kB, 1024 × 576
301 kB, 1024 × 683
889 kB, 1600 × 1068
339 kB, 1600 × 1068
This is the second largest city in the country, I don't really like it, but it appeals to some.
>>
No. 27786
532 kB, 1600 × 901
1,4 MB, 3200 × 1680
702 kB, 1600 × 1200
230 kB, 1024 × 576
This Cuenca, it is the third largest city in the country, and by far my favourite one.
This one also has new and older parts, some are older than the Spanish constructions.
>>
No. 27787
109 kB, 960 × 639
121 kB, 1080 × 718
142 kB, 1024 × 768
368 kB, 1680 × 945
This si the historic centre of the city.
>>
No. 27788
Beautiful city tbh.
Very cozy architecture and geography. The mountains must be really nice.
>>
No. 27790
882 kB, 1024 × 768
310 kB, 1600 × 1167
344 kB, 1080 × 1350
826 kB, 1024 × 468
You can see where the river separates new from old, and also some ruins that contrast with he newer buildings in the background.
>>
No. 27791
168 kB, 1280 × 960
64 kB, 1200 × 421
155 kB, 1023 × 667
399 kB, 1947 × 1615
>>27788
Yes, these are our mountains, they're quite pretty.
>>
No. 27802
>>27791
>>27786
The mountain background and those high altitude lakes look super-comfy.

>I suppose my country is "exotic" to most people on this boards so I'll show you a bit.
I once worked together with a girl from Ecuador, she was pretty nice and also beautiful. Apart from that, I don't know much about Ecuador, couldn't even properly locate it on the map. I only know that it has the world's highest capital, and I'm not referring to drugs! Without checking I'd suppose it's somewhere in the reach of Bolivia and Colombia, a few hundred miles south of the caribbean area / mexican border.

Don't bother laughing at me for my ignorance, I'll check the map after sending the post and will probably still be laughing at myself when you read this.
>>
No. 27803
184 kB, 1210 × 667
OK I checked, seems a was a little off with my estimate. For your convenience (and for humorous purposes) I marked on the map where I thought Ecuador would be.
>>
No. 27804
>>27786
>Cuenca
I love cities surrounded by mountains like this. When the land is flat, dense buildings slowly thin out into suburbs and then into natural rural areas. The transition from developed to undeveloped happens very slowly. But when there are mountains, even when they're in the distance, then it's like seeing two different worlds at the same time. The contrast always strikes me as beautifully surreal.