/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 17804
155 kB, 960 × 960
116 kB, 960 × 960
25 kB, 481 × 148
130 kB, 960 × 960
So I am generally a huge name nerd, always have been. But lately, the trends really puzzle me.

I mean - I'm aware that I'm looking at american ones, but it starts getting absolutely sad. Yeah, I know, I as a Germanic shouldn't complain about noun-names, since we have Wolf and Björn and similar. But at least they go together with the wish of transferring the spiritual qualities of the animal to the child. Or maybe Friedrich - meaning full of piece. That's nice and cozy and something you can wish for your child.

But that? Are those people serious? In America, of all places, calling your child Soldier? That's only one step ahead of naming your kid flat out Gun, what I'm sure has happened already.

For girls, the same applies. I mean I can get behind "Virtue" names like Hope even though I think they're absolutely retarded. But Lace? Owl? Are they serious? We live in an age where we can really search the world's history for the most beautiful and meaningful words and the americans go like "Guess I'll name my kid after a piece of cloth x--D"

And don't even get me started with the retarded double name trend. It even starts seeping here. Some name fit even for developmental troubles like Finn or Ben or Sam, and then a retarded middle name, and whenever the child is referred to, you use both names. Back in my day, we had a baptismal name that is supposed to refer to the Virtues of a Saint, and it's sort of secret and occult, and now people use the "double name" as an excuse to smuggle even more retarded names in there. And they seem proud of it.
>>
No. 17805
350 kB, 2536 × 2200
>>17804
>I mean I can get behind "Virtue" names like Hope even though I think they're absolutely retarded
Spes from Fides, Spes, Caritas. But in English.
This name doesn't sound absolutely retarted IMO.

...Although I think I understand why it puzzles you.
Most names in Christian world are Latin, Ancient Greek or Old Hebrew names of usual things. And it was somewhat sacral until the Christian faith among people was prevalent.
So what is happening now? People don't believe in Christ. Thus they go to pagan traditions and name their children Owls, Risks, Grows and such.
>>
No. 17807
>>17804
>calling your child Soldier
Yeah, that's not a very great title. Should've named him Officer instead, that way it would be kinda like Mr. T. Or maybe Doctor or Professor. Or even better, President! Although it's not exactly a new idea either: Joseph Heller used a character named Major Major Major in Catch-22.
>>
No. 17808
>>17807
>Or even better, President!
But that what the name Nicholas means.
>>
No. 17809
>>17808
Nod really. President means "the one who sits before", while Nicholas - "victory of the people".
>>
No. 17810
194 kB, 391 × 404
>>17809
My joke has been too deep.
>>
No. 17812
>>17810
Heh, yeah, it went right over my head, possibly because I usually try to distance myself from politics and politicians. Personally, I don't think that he will become a president. I suspect that after Luka dies, his former retinue will just put on some random figurehead on the presidential post every five years and continue to suck the money from the budget with impunity.
>>
No. 17815
>>17804
>Back in my day, we had a baptismal name that is supposed to refer to the Virtues of a Saint
I think that still applies in most cases. My baptismal name and my legal name are different for example. In my opinion it's more about being both national and christian at the same time.
>>
No. 17824
278 kB, 1280 × 613
1021 kB, 500 × 225, 0:02
>>
No. 17830
>>17805
>Most names in Christian world are Latin, Ancient Greek or Old Hebrew
maybe in russia, poland, italy and other still highly religious christian countries. we use also a lot of old germanic ones still additionally to retarded trend names such as finn/fynn, fiete, luka or kevin.
>>
No. 17832
>>17830
Matthew/Matt, John, Mark, Luke/Lucas, Michael, Gabriel/Gabe, Thomas/Tom etc.
>>
No. 17833
209 kB, 478 × 600
>>17832
Job/Steve
>>
No. 17834
>>17830
>we use also a lot of old germanic ones
We use a lot germanic slavic names as well, Bogdan, Titomir, Vladimir and so on. So I wouldn't say we have different naming traditions.
>luka
Are you sure it's a German name?
>>
No. 17836
This would be an appropriate moment to ask the Germans here:
Does the name "Siegfried" carry any negative connotations with it? (Like how Adolf has negative connotations for example)
>>
No. 17838
>>17836
No it doesnt and people also love the Nibelungen Lied.
It is a very old fadhioned name tho.

How come you ask?
>>
No. 17839
>>17838
I just wanted to know because I care too much about irrelevant things like this. And it's important to me that I don't create false preconceptions like these.
>>
No. 17841
>>17838
> people also love the Nibelungen Lied.

that is new to me. But yeah, it's just an old name that rarely occurs with people under 40 these days.
>>
No. 17852
>Soldier
Literally the same as Miles or Hermann, both names with ancient pedigrees. Double names used to be the norm in parts of Europe, e.g. France.

I think both trends are stupid, but it's not anything new. Also, Europe is the continent with laws that restrict names to pre-approved lists, and those laws wouldn't be there if you didn't have bydlo trying to get creative with their kids' names.
>>
No. 17905
90 kB, 900 × 750
136 kB, 720 × 391
>>17836
>Does the name "Siegfried" carry any negative connotations with it?
not at all. it's a really really old name and kinda rarely used, however it doesn't sound totally out of place like adalbert, traugott, fürchtegott, gotthilf, gottlob, bartholomäus etc. who knows, siegfried might come into fashion again. i used to have an ukrainian immigrant neighbour who named his son wilhelm, which was quite uncommon/out of fashion at that time. today it's probably not so uncommon anymore, i hear kids getting named gunther/günther, theo, oskar, which were also popular 100 years ago. i'm ok with those. also, even though they sound like dog names to me, fiete, malte, fynn might become classic in the future, because they are kinda neutral. trend names such as kevin, leon, justin, liam are completely retarded though, these go out of fashion within 20 years and will sound funny or in the worst case put a stigma on the kids when they are grown up men. ultimately retarded is in my opinion when you're not jewish, muslim, hindu etc. but you give your children exotic names such as ben, noah, levy (i just checked, according to mainstream newspapers they are supposed to be trend names right now), mohammed, kerim or something like that.

>>17841
>people also love the Nibelungen Lied.
>that is new to me
ernst please. pic related.
>>
No. 17945
48 kB, 480 × 332
>>17836
I'd concur that like everything reminiscent of Germanic heritage it carries some vague connection to the Nazis so no modern German in his right mind would call his child anything like that. According to this statistic without any source that I randomly pulled from the internet after 2 minutes of research Siegfried as a name was most popular during the 1930s, at least during the 20th century.

>>17905
>ernst please. pic related.

Afaik most younger people are only dimly aware of it as it's not commonly read in school. And especially Wagner is also associated with some Nazi aesthetics, which are not particularly hip of course. This is why in recent times e.g. the Nibelungenspiele Worms adaptations were trying really hard to embrace a progressive agenda which is more akin to persiflage.
I haven't looked much into it but the titles seem already telling: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenfestspiele_Worms
>>
No. 17947
>>17945
Judging by that graph, id didn't go out of fashion well into the 60s, so it's not like it became taboo like "Adolf" did.
My idea was that it has negative associations because how Wagner was adored by the Natsoc government, and Wagner was quite the assburger when it came to the name and the epic itself.
>>
No. 17950
>>17947
Nah for sure not as bad as Adolf. As mentioned I'd take the graph with a grain of salt, also judging by the weird zigzags at the end. But it does seem plausible that it went out of fashion in th 60s as I'd be hard pressed to think of any person named Siegfried. I suppose colloquially it's also often shortened to Siggi which sounds kind of horrible but less out of place in a modern context.