/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 17978
43 kB, 630 × 400
I will start by asking can somebody please teach me how to set up a blog?
>>
No. 17981
Without knowing what your previous knowledge in the related field is? Without specifics what kind of blog you want?

This is not the Ernst way.
>>
No. 17985 Kontra
You could do it the classsic way.

register a domain, and set up a html only website that contains your textings
>>
No. 17986
rent a virtual host, rent a domain.
Install wordpress.
That's it.

Or you can do something like registering a domain and using existing blogging platforms on it. The benefit of this one is more "networking" with people on the same platform. The downside is botnet.
>>
No. 17989 Kontra
There is a thing called google and a thing called wordpress.
You retard.
>>
No. 18011
>>17986
>>17985
Why would I need to actually pay for it and rent a domain?
also I figured this could be a general help out fellow ernsts thread, like when Kazakhstan or Latvia or someone needs help with something
Also yes I'm feeling kind of retarded
>>
No. 18014
>>18011
you could join a pleroma server with a high character limit or use tumblr as a blog if you didn't want to pay and but no effort in.
>>
No. 18016 Kontra
>>18011
You don't need to. You can get free hosting and a subdomain from either Wordpress or Blogspot. If you just want to host your posts somewhere you can use Medium.
>>
No. 18021 Kontra
>>17978
If you shitposting american - I will never help you in anything.
>>
No. 18074 Kontra
>>18021
You mean the guy who posts random YT videos, possibly also the same person as posting weird pseudoscience medical advice and no I am not. It is funny how butthurt you are at him though.

>>18016
Well like I said, I am retarded and have not actually opened and used any sort of account somewhere consistently in like a decade so it feels weird to me now trying to figure out how you do it. I may also want ads or some kind of money eventually if it gets any traffic too.

>>17981
Oh yeah I never answered this first question. Well first I want to kind of use it as an LJ type account, just posting random thoughts and criticisms on various things including media like film and vidya, politics, science, and possibly religion. I can figure out what to do and branch off later. And I might also start making short stories and uploading them there. I just also want a really good format. Like LJ for example was one platform where it's easy enough to edit and write and upload pics and format it how you want with an easy interface. A shithole like reddit for example is nowhere near conducive to that. Most of the public shithole platforms like FB are not remotely, and I have never had the slightest interest in Twit so I don't even pay attention to that IQ89 craphole. Plus I want to start out under a pseudonym where I'm not attached to anything at all, including chan culture.
>>
No. 18101 Kontra
>>18074
>I may also want ads or some kind of money eventually if it gets any traffic too.
It's very much impossible nowadays to make money from ads, especially through an amateur blog. Most advertising happens on social media, this is in part reason of the recent journalist layoffs from digital publishers.
Also the overlap between people who use adblocker and people who still read rando blogs is quite substantial.
Most people who actually write GOOD blogs AND monetize those (most don't) either sell something or offer a subscription service, they don't even bother with running ads. But nobody except for maybe some very popular influencers, for whom the blog is just another channel next to social media, youtube, etc., makes any substantial amount from blogging. I'd be hard pressed to think of any blog that actually still runs ads, except for maybe https://slatestarcodex.com/ who runs a selection of static ads from companies that are actually related to the readers' interests.

>just posting random thoughts and criticisms on various things including media like film and vidya, politics, science, and possibly religion
Who'd want to read this? Where's the value here? Successful bloggers usually have some unique expertise that they are able to leverage into interesting articles.

>Most of the public shithole platforms like FB are not remotely, and I have never had the slightest interest in Twit so I don't even pay attention to that IQ89 craphole.
If you dismiss social media you can forget about getting any readers ever
>>
No. 18102 Kontra
>>18074
>>18101
I don't mean to bust your balls or tell you that you shouldn't even try but you should really think it through a bit more
>>
No. 18114
>>18101
You describe a vicious circle there. Right now it is actually pretty cheap to advertise on facebook and also easy to target a very specific audience there. So more and more people and about every new startup gives them their monies. If this continues and nothing will ever get people driven away from that cancer, Zuckerberg will get a complete monopoly on web advertising, which will also probably be the only way of advertising that reaches anyone anymore. Well, aside from Google of course.
>>
No. 18131 Kontra
223 kB, 1366 × 768
>>18114
People are already trying to jump ship from FB though I think. Who knows maybe someday, godwilling, it will go the way of myspace.
>>
No. 18137 Kontra
>>18114
Well, web advertising is not the same as it used to be anyways. The most successful campaigns are those that people don't recognize as such. So it wouldn't even matter if FB would monopolize the regular text/display ads (which it de facto does). Though as you say it has to share the pie with Google for the most part, and for certain niches other channels still work better.
>>18131
Eh, FB had a bit of a slump some months ago, but it's recovering now (see stock price). It's not going away for now I think.
Though the whole online advertising field is bound to crash some time, it already seems way too bloated. On the other hand there are still tons of small businesses out there that don't really use digital advertising so in many cases there's an opportunity to leverage it.
>>
No. 18233
2,4 MB, 3264 × 2448
Help! I got BSOD'd and worst now for whatever fucking reason the option "boot from USB or CD" no longer appears. I have no idea wtf I am even doing. I cannot boot from CD for some reason and no system image or restore points are being detected. Can I run my recovery CD from the command prompt? The option simply vanished from the repair screen.