/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 19980
695 kB, 865 × 10243
185 kB, 539 × 606
335 kB, 1280 × 600
there are some odd choices in the 2019 mercer quality of living ranking.

• personally i wouldn't rank munich 3rd and not above berlin and hamburg, however i can understand to a certain degree why they put it there.
  • why on earth are düsseldorf and frankfurt/main this high? frankfurt/main is germany's crime and drug hot spot, but it has at least nice surroundings and more than decent nightlife. düsseldorf has... i don't know. i've been there once and the only thing that i found somewhat interesting was the big german-japanese community. i have nothing against düsseldorf, but what has düsseldorf (6) to offer regarding quality of living that puts it above the other german cities in the ranking berlin (13), hamburg (19), nuremberg (23), stuttgart (27) and leipzig (60)? nrw-ernst pls explain!

• paris (39), lyon(40), london (41), milan (41), barcelona (43), new york (44) and rome (56) should all rank higher in my opinion.

-cape town barely making it to the top 100 seems odd.

-windhuk (131) is basically an irrelevant african city, however the quality of living there is certainly higher than in >10 million urban sprawls with high crime rate and large favelas.

-moscow (167) and st. petersburg (174) below kolkata, india (160), dakar, senegal (163), accra, ghana (165) and libreville, gabon (166). i've never been to either city, but i strolled around the city centers a bit using google street view once. both cities looked at least decent enough for the top 100 to me.

extrapopulate ur options
>>
No. 19981 Kontra
>extrapopulate ur options

Should have posted this in the news thread, if it's not a down right shitpost anyway.

You can see what factors determine the rank and maybe Windhuk is better than Moscow in these regards?

Lots of text, no content, just some doxa and wondering...

Small boards are not made for this.
>>
No. 19982
>>19980
>What Factors Determine Quality of Living?
>Political environment
There's no surprise for me.
>>
No. 19983
353 kB, 750 × 500
>San Francisco
It's shit. Like, really unbelievably shit. Only go there if you're already a tech oligarch. Even actual otherwise well paid types are living in tiny boxes there.
>Boston
Depends where, but it's clear to me already whoever made this list doesn't know what they're talking about and is probably some fucking retard typing this dumb shit on his ibook or whatever the hell apple is selling these days. Boston is again, okayish if you're already into tech. Otherwise it's a largely unremarkable northeast town with "old world charm" i.e. a complete and utter lack of city planning and shite narrow roads at sharp angles with a hint of old industrial city urban blight and heroin decay. To be fair, Springfield is far worse than Boston.
>NYC
Could be worse, but it's still an overpriced London Jr. Hellhole I would never want to voluntarily live in even if I was a billionaire.
>Seattle
No complaints but only because I like cold and rainy anyway. It is a perpetual gray sky that rains much of the time and is also filled with a lot of heroin. It's the Newark or New Haven of the West (with maybe Santa Barbara or something being the Miama of drug amplified decay, also gator bbq).
>Washington DC
Alright, but of course more of your thing if you're into international relations or NGOs or politics or something. All the corporate headquarters are in Maryland because tax purposes, although Baltimore is one of the shittiest cities. Like, you are probably going to be mugged kind of shitty. DC is just filled with a sea of poor people who have taxation without representation (literally its 4 million residents don't have any representatives) surrounding some super rich well connected oligarchs. So a typical US city. Ironically the city I hate least so far on this list other than Seattle.
>Chicago
Why. Just. Why? Is their only criteria that it's a big city? Chicago is also shit, it just happens to be boring pointless too cold and windy shit. The only reason why Detroit is allowed to exist is so that Chicago looks better in comparison.
>Philadelphia
Same situation as Chicago, except Philly is more poor and cracky and its Detroit is a place called Baltimore.
>Pittsburgh
lol

Well to be fair, it could be a lot worse. Closer to being a boring pointless Midwestern poor city like Cleveland or something.

>Dallas
The DFW metroplex is probably going to be our first real Shadowrun tier hellhole. It is surprisingly not that bad, probably mainly due to the fact it's made entirely for cars but not that you'd walk anywhere anyway because it's too damn hot. Standing outside in Dallas feels exactly like opening your oven to put a pizza in. The suburbs and strip malls are endless.

>Houston
A lot like Dallas but with more character of their own, also oil city and extra Mexicans and people from LA. Combined with Dallas is probably the entirety of the reason that one British tourist who got called "the Walker" by two American tourists.

>Miami
Cubans, rednecks, gators, old Jewish people, all fueled on methamphetamine in a giant statewide humid swamp. Is two low for an actual working sewer system so every year when a hurricane demolishes half the state the sewage bubbles up turning the streets into shit rivers Randy. Otherwise an okay place.

>LA
The first time I came to terms with the fact I am probably a deeply disturbed and mentally ill individual was the recognition I actually like LA. Unless you're Jewish or mentally ill (or both) not that great. Or Mexican, which is just about everybody outside the Jewish enclave known as West Hollywood. The rest are Korean. Legends state that one once went there to learn fine art forms such as thuggin and bein gangsta, but lately the Mexicans have proven themselves more gangsta than though. Also has Armenians for some reason. Overall is like some sick joke NYC and Dallas created. No one knows why they did this except possibly so NYC had an authoritarian retard shithole hated more than them and Dallas wanted a place full of more Mexicans. Considered the primary cause of the cancer killing Texas, much to the amusement of everyone not from Texas.

>Minneopolis
I have nothing negative to say about Minneapolis. I have never been there and can't imagine any reason in life why I ever will. Founded by Swedes, who later imported Somalians which is where you will find Little Mogadishu (I'm not even making this up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar-Riverside,_Minneapolis#Demographics)

>Atlanta
Like Miami but way fatter, poorer, and more authoritarian and corrupt. Consists of a large number of fat black people. HQ of the CDC. Noteworthy as the scene where numerous treasonous houses, fences, train tracks, and various other wood hewn materials were valiantly put down by the heroic General Sherman. Was in the process of rising again but realized it's too damn hot for that shit and poured another drink before going back to bed. IIRC also houses our extensive biological warfare labs which we totally don't have and if anyone says otherwise Russia shot down Malaysian airlines.

>St. Louis
Like Atlanta, but unimportant. Here be the third world cutoff line.

>Detroit
Detroit.

I will also give credit to Honolulu but frankly I don't think the author put it in there for any other reason than durr it's in Hawaii it must be awesome. Contrary to popular belief unemployment and poverty is one of the problems of that island. People think it must be a wonderful place to go to get away from everybody else. The problem is this idea already occurred to those same assholes, see also: California. Never been and can't say really, except that it is populated pretty much entirely by the Chinese. The rest are Keanu Reeves.

I'm actually surprised they didn't list something like Phoenix on here (it's shit too btw, but comparable to improved levels of shit relative to the current list)
>>
No. 19985 Kontra
>>19981
seriously, what is wrong with you? this is /int/ and this thread isn't about "news" at all. i'm interested about opinions from other countries about that ranking.

>You can see what factors determine the rank
i included their criteria in the screenshot because i can't see for the life me how düsseldorf is supposed to have a better quality of life than berlin and/or hamburg according to these criteria.
if you don't have anything to say to that maybe you can kindly back off to the /news/ thread.
>>
No. 19986
365 kB, 500 × 638
>>19985
>seriously, what is wrong with you?
I'm sorry but this is EC, the analy retentive alternative. Every night I squeeze raw carbon into diamonds then order them from greatest to least obtuseness of the angles of their facets, before sharing pictures of collection in the proper anal diamond photography thread. I like it that way. Frogposting and various forms of the vierkanal cancer is almost nonexistent here and quite frankly I credit the combination of ass diamonds and the firm but wise hand of our moderation for that. I also can't really say anything about Germany because I know very little about your cities, except iirc Munich is supposed to be a bit more SPD/Green/Pirate voting tier than the other ones.

>>19982
It was probably someone who wanted an authoritative sounding list of bullshit based on preconceptions so I responded in kind. All jokes about Russia being a snowy Africa aside, I am pretty sure the author was just supremely butthurted at you and if I had to guess reason had more to do with gays or Trump or something is the general vibe I've been getting. Like our entire list was literally just exclusively composed of the biggest, mostly coastal, cities, plus Minneopolis and Pittsburgh for some strange reason. It might as well have been "Americas top 15 largest cities, also Minneopolis and Pittsburgh." I mean quite frankly I would've listed Austin, TX there, and Boulder Colorado, as well as Burlington Vermont as among our nicest cities, not fucking Philadelphia and Detroit and Pittsburgh or whatever the fuck this person was doing.

Personally I would've actually listed Moscow and St. Petersburg alongside cities like DC. These are clearly decent cities, despite shitty problems. It seems clear to me the author simply decided "it's in Russia and so must be shit".
>>
No. 19987
>>19986
>I also can't really say anything about Germany because I know very little about your cities,
of course. but you wrote something about the usa. which is what i was hoping for.
>>
No. 19988 Kontra
>>19985
>i can't see for the life me how düsseldorf is supposed to have a better quality of life than berlin and/or hamburg according to these criteria.

the problem is that the criteria are not really saying anything, how is it measured? That is the more important question here than what do others think, when you really wanted to get your wonderings explained.

Housing in Berlin will be a fuckton more expensive than Düsseldorf I guess, maybe Berlin has a higher crime rate than Düsseldrof, maybe Düssledorf has a more medical support, less waiting time or whatever, we don't know all this because it's not explained in your picture therefore everything is speculation. How is housing measured? The answer to this question is valuable and could provide a discussion on why it is stupid or not and how this rank comes together in the end.

You thread is rather kohl tier as it seems shallow to me. Just put up a link with rank and then lets talk even tho the information given is just a city name and some number + some vague factors that could mean many things.
The American might disagree to get some life in here. I have nothing against a new thread or fresh blood as we already had it in the last thread, but why not provide some better ground for a serious discussion that earns the label of being serious, this is ernst chan, afterall. Yeah, I'm a pain in the ass sometimes.
>>
No. 19989 Kontra
29 kB, 400 × 277
>>19988
>ou thread is rather kohl tier as it seems shallow to me
my thread is not kohl tier at all. on the other hand you jumping on me personally with a couple reddit spaced sentences that contain nothing but thinly veiled aggressiveness while contributing nul to the topic i put up in the op is what i would expect from certain well known kc shitposters.
>I have nothing against a new thread
you do have something against my standard /int/ thread here though. that's why you shit it up with meta, right?
>That is the more important question
if that's what you think then why don't go ahead writing something in-depth about it in order to transform my supposedly shit tier thread into something resonating better with your standards. i would be looking forward to it. in fact, you could have included a longer post in your first reply, however you opted for what i would consider shitposting.
>here than what do others think, when you really wanted to get your wonderings explained.
i just wanted to make an old style /int/ thread that could yield to serious discussions about different cities around the globe or anything else for that matter, because that's what i like most about /int/ boards.
>fresh blood
i'm not at all new on ec and i don't lurk on kohl. i just don't post nor create threads very often.
>I'm a pain in the ass sometimes.
pic related.
>>
No. 19997 Kontra
>>19989
>why don't go ahead writing something in-depth about it in order to transform my supposedly shit tier thread

You should have been the one who could have provided us with the methods of the Mercer ranking and that would have answered your question.

Why not just open a thread like this:

Hey Ernst, what is your favorite city? Which city do you hate and why?
Look at this Mercer study ...#continue with post like yours# I wonder what measurement this rank is based upon, since housing can mean a lot of different factors.
Why start with the shitty Mercer instead of just asking directly?

>that contain nothing but thinly veiled aggressiveness

It's an aggressive tone, true. But my critic had a point, or do you think the Mercer categories are precise? I think you don't because then you could have made a guess on why Düsseldorf is so high ranked while other cities don't. You asked specifically about this ranking.

The thread derailed now, yeah, I'm the ass.
>>
No. 20004
>>19989
You saying dumb shit like this makes his point look a lot better founded
>with a couple reddit spaced sentences t
They're line breaks. It's a form of paragraph formatting used online. Every time I see someone use that term I realize they're probably borderline illiterates. It's used in online journalism all the fucking time https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2019/03/14/Former-UK-soldier-to-be-charged-for-1972-Bloody-Sunday-massacre/8331552566990/ the only people who seem to use that phrase are poltards who are literally too stupid to read or write anything longer than 240 characters.
>>
No. 20009 Kontra
>>19997
>You should have been the one who could have provided us with the methods of the Mercer ranking
i could have done that, however i did not create this thread with the specific intend of bashing mercer or, even more specifically, publish a critical essay on how mercer employs or not employs certain criteria in their rankings (although i wouldn't mind if the thread would go in that direction). the thread was supposed to be a rather broad /int/ topic.

>>20004
>It's a form of paragraph formatting used online.
>It's used in online journalism all the fucking time
it's also characteristic for reddit and line breaks after every sentence don't make posts more readable on chans.
>the only people who seem to use that phrase are poltards
i'm not a /pol/tard nor a right winger and i have no idea how one could come to such an assumption by reading the op and my other posts itt. i fucking hate politics on chans so god damn much.
>>
No. 20014 Kontra
>>20009
>i could have done that, however i did not create this thread with the specific intend of bashing mercer or, even more specifically, publish a critical essay on how mercer employs or not employs certain criteria in their rankings (although i wouldn't mind if the thread would go in that direction). the thread was supposed to be a rather broad /int/ topic.

As I tried to show with my last reply, I have nothing against such a broad topic of cities. But my impression was that you were more interested in Mercer and ranking than cities. Hence my rather rude replies.

Anyway, I don't want fight or argue about this anymore. Probably just misunderstandings.
>>
No. 20016 Kontra
>>20014
>Probably just misunderstandings.
yeah. the thread doesn't seem to be interesting for ernst anyway. i'll probably better stick with lurking and replying to threads i find interesting.