/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 25420
102 kB, 301 × 441
Let's discuss non-electronic gaming. Would prefer it not just bog down in chess and go with nothing else, but we'll see. I know we had at least one German here who played the Dark Eye.

Useful links:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/

Decent place to pick up .pdf files legally. Also some print on demand. Surprisingly, it's also pretty easy to sift out the average to bad stuff that exists on it.

https://thetrove.net/

Great resource. Doesn't have everything, but has most relevant things with some notable exceptions, like GURPS 4e. Mostly exists because those that actually have the power to enforce C&Ds recognise the usefulness of having the first sample free, and the rest either don't care or are out of business or the files are out of date editions .

Some discussion starters:

>What are you playing?
Recently finished a Schlieffen Plan scenario in The Guns of August as the German Empire which I lost. Had the game continued I think I could have salvaged it but such is life with short scenarios, they're all or nothing. Next time I think I will add a couple of the optional rules to enforce a historical opening, such as forced French attacking in the first few turns to represent their offensive doctrine. Without it, you just get the Somme from day one which is vastly in the favour of the Entente.

>What are you running?
Only one game at the moment, which is a pretty nice indie game I got off drivethrurpg called Dark Stars. Percentile cyberpunk in space with splashes of space opera. Rules aren't really written for a newcomer but it's all there. Just tends to be sparse and use a bit of assumed knowledge. I'm basically ripping off the metaplot of Far Cry 2, but nobody has picked up on it yet :-DDD

>What are you working on?
A few projects, most of which are currently on hold because I'm creatively bankrupt right now. Mostly in the process of reading more rulesets in my quest to put together my 16-18th Century Kazakh Khanate system together. I've been working in the opposite direction to how I have been previously and making a little progress. Been delving into the OSR more, and while I don't think I'm going to go the OGL route for various reasons, I am finding that taking a step back and stripping down a system to its core is yielding better results than trying to simulate a lot of different modules individually while keeping them feeling meshed. Though I am considering looking through Pendragon again and trying to convert their system into maintaining one's camp instead of holding.
>>
No. 25452
Sadly I have no IRL friends who are interested in this sort of thing. I'd like to try it though.
>>
No. 25454
>>25452
Run it and they will come. It's gotten to the point where a decent GM can charge money for the service. It sounds dumb but it's the truth. Everyone wants to do shit like le epic stories they read, but very few want to sit down and actually make the thing happen for the players.
>>
No. 25456
>>25452
Same. Well actually I have no IRL friends either at this point partly because I deliberately cut everyone off from my life, every single one of my good friends. I just can't or won't be around drunks and substance users which was just about everyone.

At this point I'm wondering where I can find people. AA is a no because just about everybody there is in their 50s at youngest or an old geezer. I've thought about getting into bowling or finding a tabletop gaming group in my area which is also just annoying because I don't know anyone and while I have no problem with making an introduction there's my nagging distrust and paranoia of everyone particularly ones I don't already know and I don't plan on being involved with the area for more than a couple years which is exactly how long I need to know someone before I can start to trust them. But then again, it's not necessary for a gaming group.

Maybe I could try to find a curling rink around here too.

The problem is everybody drinks. At least a like vidya or CCG/tabletop focused store should have people who don't drink.
>>
No. 25457
>>25454
Well I could actually do that. I think the main thing for being a GM honestly is having the social intelligence and enough charisma to understand and read people so they don't get butthurt at you. Depending on the game players can get super butthurt, offended, and downright hurt by a bad GM and decisions made in a game, as well as other players so your unofficial job is also to basically referee people sifting against bullying.
>>
No. 25459
In Russia we have specialized clubs for tabletop warhammer stuff, DnD, WoD, etc.
Check those out if you have dem.
>>
No. 25460
353 kB, 617 × 767
>>25456
I can't remember what they're called but there are actually organised events for 5e and Pathfinder. I don't play them though. Most stores will have a designated RPG night too. Usually they'll have an open table or two which are essentially made to get newcomers into the fold and finding a more permanent group.

>>25457
Tbh, as a literal autist I find that the rules enable me to work without a great deal of social intelligence. The fact that you have a basic level of common understanding to frame any arising conversation on means that you aren't missing out on so many cues, and if they start getting unruly, you have rules to fall back on to shut them up.

As for players, they are utterly expendable. It sounds harsh and while one shouldn't treat players badly because we're all trying to have a good time, a player who is a nuisance and gets unreasonably butthurt is a player you stop inviting, and if you really need the extra person there are far more wannabe players than there are games with open spots in the world. You can afford to lose them. My tip for rulings is simple, if I can't remember and it'll take too long to look up I just ask odd or even and then roll. If they get it right give them the positive outcome, else the negative. Say that you'll check the ruling at the end of the session if people are still worried about it. Chances are that they'll forget unless it's particularly important. Same goes if they start arguing about rules. Invoke rule zero, the GM is always right, and if they aren't being wankers about it, say that you'll go over the ruling at the end, and that you're making a call for the sake of keeping the game moving. At the end of the day, a GM is there to have fun too, and if he isn't, then why is he bothering? If your group makes the game a chore, then it's the wrong group of people or the wrong kind of game for that group. If serious shit doesn't work, then play Rocket Age. There is absolutely nothing wrong with unleashing every ounce of dork in you.

Social skills are really not that big a deal. I don't do funny voices or anything like that neither. It's definitely a skill that takes time to learn but you'll overcome a lot of the mistakes pretty quickly. If you're really worried then https://theangrygm.com/how-to-fing-gm/ is a good place to look. The persona can be grating but he's got a lot of good advice. I'd also recommend a printed adventure for your first game, they take a lot of the work off of your shoulders by giving you an almost CYOA approach where you get to inject your own flavour into the gaps. Keep on the Borderlands is a classic starter adventure for good reason, and isn't really hard (trivial really) to play in something like The Black Hack. That would be very simple for a new GM and very effective for their players. My 2c anyway.
>>
No. 25461
>>25459
In Australia it's a mix. You have groups of people who play games together, stores which are communities in themselves and different games and/or events will have different communities, and then there are clubs which tend to have a greater variance of events and more social activity alongside the game. There's a big board game one here in Brisbane where they even have pub crawls and shit for example.

Are the clubs quite insular? Or is it more like the store level play I talked about where they are just groups that play together regularly without necessarily being close friends?
>>
No. 25464
I used to follow a twitter account that posted a bunch of cool pen and ink D&D art from the 80s but I can't find it now.

Oh well. Time to get ergot poisoning and listen to more dungeon synth.
>>
No. 25473 Kontra
837 kB, 1153 × 1544
591 kB, 1144 × 1453
105 kB, 1000 × 576
274 kB, 739 × 1024
>>25464
Here are some of the tabletop RPG illustrators I like btw: Peter Mullen and Erol Otus
>>
No. 25481
I have never played tabletop rpgs, although I have always been interested.
I do have have friends that play them, but they are in the middle of a shadowrun campaign.
How do long does such a campaign last? I would like to join them but I don't want to seem intrusive, so I'd like to wait for them to finish their campaign.
Also, are tabletop rpgs difficult to learn (specifically shadowrun)?
>>
No. 25486
>>25481
Depends on the campaign. A campaign is optional even. A lot of people just run single adventures, or even one shots. The biggest thing to consider when joining a campaign is player count rather than timing tbh. I always put 5 as my upper limit. Once you get above that it starts to get crowded.

RPGs aren't hard to learn. Shadowrun is one of the exceptions though because 5e is bloated garbage that isn't even laid out in such a way that makes it easy to read well. Especially hacking, fuck that noise.

If you want to play that kind of game, then tempt them with Cyberpunk Red which had a beginner rule set come out the other day. There are pdfs floating around already. It's the sequel to Cyberpunk 2020 and aims to tie some of the odd things about 2077 to the original game. Heard good things but haven't gotten around to reading through it yet. As basic rules, they also shouldn't have the full complexity of the game.

There is also Modern AGE which is probably simple to learn and would let you do a similar cyberpunk+magic game because generic system. I say probably because I've played other games using the same system but haven't yet read the modern version. The others are essentially skilless and you are trying to roll over a target number on 3d6+Attribute and then adding an extra 2 if you have an applicable attribute focus which are essentially perks you can choose when you level up.
>>
No. 25500
>>25486
There's also Paranoia which might be a great way to break in some players who might otherwise not be used to having to roll up their characters and getting butthurt about it.

>>25481
>how long
You'd really have to listen to Australia here but in general it also depends largely on the group of people and how often or long they meet. For some people any kind of sit down PnP campaign on virtually anything can last a really long time, especially if they like only sit down Saturdays for a few hours and have something epic in the works.

>Also, are tabletop rpgs difficult to learn (specifically shadowrun)?
Not really in all honesty. If you've ever actually played a crpg or any of the earlier RPGs then you've already got a pretty good amount of familiarity with the systems and how it works, particularly if it's turn based. It pretty much just works as a computer game does except that it's often way more involved with stats and decided how each action lands or fails. Like if you've ever seen a fast paced computer rpg like say Warcraft even or anything that has a chance to resist an effect, or hell even played XCOM, then think about all the zillions of little actions, attacks, and effects. Now imagine having to have a group of people rolling for each and every single little thing and having them all do math. Someone decided to bumrush the goblin? Roll for iniative. Goblin is secretly a warlock disguised as a goblin? Roll for something like wits+perception against his glamour skill. Success! But uh oh! Now he's rolling a spell to make you go berzerk on your allies! Roll for willpower save. Stuff like that.

It's actually pretty fun but in a way I'm not sure I can make anyone understand with just words. Pretty much all PnPs are dice based which mostly is what determines the RNG of succeeding or failing at certain tasks, which includes the chance of landing a crit. Virtually all modern vidya games are based on DnD's system which is from the 70s, and if I'm not mistaken DnD was the grandfather of all the other systems many of which eventually got turned into vidya decades later.
>>
No. 25510
103 kB, 952 × 640
15,2 MB, 82 pages
We Germans have some fast share platform without any nasty pop-ups, captchas, coinmining, redirect-suff.

https://volafile.org/r/g7m8zdgc

You an post requests what specific documents you are in demand in, and then s.o. will look, if she/he has it.

We has also a lot of English stuff.
I posted one examples.
Maybe you like to participate.
We are open for all nationalities and languages. :3
>>
No. 25511
667 kB, 709 × 798
787 kB, 863 × 710
836 kB, 1137 × 617
722 kB, 909 × 733
>>25454
> It's gotten to the point where a decent GM can charge money for the service. It sounds dumb but it's the truth.

I don't think that it sounds dumb, in my eyes it completely understandable.

To master a game is so much work, it was almost easier and less work the get a bachelor at a German university than mastering all the rules of DSA 4.1., so if you find a good gamemaster, pay him.
>>
No. 25513
>>25500
Paranoia is not a game I'd introduce people to as their first game. Putting aside my personal dislike for it, the main 'fun factor' it has is that it makes fun of RPG mechanics. Kind of like subversive media but for rules instead of tropes. Plus it can cement bad playing habits if it's the formative system since most games are more team oriented.

Tbh, Fiasco is Paranoia played 'straight' in that it uses actual rules but encourages things to go sideways without encouraging players to be chaotic stupid.
>>
No. 25515
>>25511
I can see why it exists, but it's just such a bizarre change in the scene since the rise of virtual tabletops where it's really taking off.
>>
No. 25629
>>25511
Does a GM really need to have mastered it though? I always thought of a good GM as more a guide who's intimately familiar with the game than somebody who can go rules lawyering better than anybody else.
>>
No. 25640
>>25629
Systems mastery is a pretty important trait for a good GM. It isn't about rules lawyering, but about having the working knowledge to know how to break the rules without breaking the game. Not all hacks and houserules are created equal, and the difference is usually the degree of system mastery that the creator had.
>>
No. 25641
953 kB, 640 × 810
1,0 MB, 640 × 798
1,4 MB, 822 × 829
1,4 MB, 848 × 845
>>25629
Depends on the system. In not so sophisticated systems the gamemaster doesn't need to master all the rules and the settings' characteristics 100%ly.

In complex systems like DSA 4.1. is very important that the gamemaster does.
He needs it for playing the NPCs and making actions with them.
Fighting and applying magic can get very complex in DSA 4.1., if you use all the rules and possibilities.

He also needs it reacting to player actions. Players tend to invoke for their character 'special' possibilities and options, which they have allegedly read on page 276 of WgZ in connection with the specials rule of Aventurischer Bote 183 and page 187ff of HaM.
In order to react properly to this the gamemaster needs to know the rules, if he doesn't want to stumble reacting to them.
>>
No. 25660
173 kB, 800 × 600
So I've restarted work on my Kazakh Khanate RPG. I'm taking inspiration from a few very different sources based on rules that I've been reading lately. The first is that I'm going to use a two-stage statblock which has attributes that combine into derived attributes that essentially act as modifiers to various kinds of roll. I'm going to experiment with no skills, and build depth in other ways. I like the simplicity of it, and will be testing it with a few different dice systems to see what feels nice.

Second idea in the current build is to do with progression. You may remember me discussing feat-based progression in the past. Well, I have recently come across an XP-less system that still tracks progress in a less arbitrary way than just fiat. Essentially you have 5 boxes to tick by doing things that contribute to your legend. Then once you fill in all 5 you cash them in for a trait. The interesting thing here is that it allows for sideways progression, and the actions of the player form a kind of tapestry which can be seen in the character sheet quite obviously. As an example, a character might get disfigured due to so many battles where they emerged barely alive at the end. It might not even do much for them beyond make them recognisable, for better or for worse.

What tying progression to feats also does is reinforce the focus on the heroic. The game is not intended to be medieval Kazakhstan simulator 20XX, but trying to feel closer to the tales of great heroes of the era. Since that's our goal, then the feat system elegantly pushes players towards making character defining choices if they want to get better, which behind the scenes makes it easier for a GM to move a game forward, and easier for players to really identify with a character as they start to naturally change over time instead of having to figure it out largely themselves.

With that aspect, I'm really going to be testing different methods of trait gaining. Tweaking numbers required, figuring out guidelines for how much a feat may be worth (big ones may be worth 2 slots instead of 1, but what classifies as a big one?). And also the traits themselves. My first thought is to have a record sheet where one makes note of what each feat was, and then works with the GM to create a trait that fits in with what they've done. Other options are making tables to roll on, which has the problem of maybe making some strange things happen that don't fit the character's feats, or a list of traits that one picks from according to what fits best. Finally, I need to work out how to deal with immediately binding traits. Do I abstract things like horrific wounds and lost limbs and have them appear at the end of the batch of feats? Or do I make some system that allows the GM to impose a trait that still feels fair and isn't too lacking in direction?

Once I finish those two aspects I can really start digging down into how I want to handle the camp. It might seem like a frivolous addition, but the role of one's home, clan and even tribe is massive in Turkic epics and is often the catalyst of heroism, and its absence is almost damnation. The Mankurt for example is described as a slave who has forgotten his own kin, and without clan and tribe, they become subhuman and little more than beasts. So having some ties back to the home camp at the very least is vital to capture the feel that I'm going for. I am right now thinking on how I want it to integrate into my gameplay cycle since where it sits there will determine what kinds of rules it will need.

I will keep Ernst updated in my newfound burst of motivation. Please rate and subscribe.
>>
No. 25668 Kontra
I think I will try checking out my uni’s tabletop club. My reasoning:

1. I want to play DnD
  2. No friends
>>
No. 25670
I find this interesting. Most countries appears to have at least one major domestic pen and paper rpg that nobody outside know about.
>>
No. 25673
Is yours KULT or something else?
>>
No. 25676
>>25673
We have a few. Most known today would maybe be Mutant because of Road to Eden, it has a spinoff called Mutant Chronicles that was know i think. Kult is one, then we have Eon, fantasy role playing game that is pretty big materials wise. I think we have one based in the wild west or something, can't remember if it is domestic or not.
>>
No. 25678
771 kB, 1191 × 806
63 kB, 420 × 559
315 kB, 1181 × 1594
1017 kB, 900 × 1199
>>25660
Why not making a p&p-game with an Australian background?
I guess this would have a higher chance for being played by other and being successful.

>>25670
Yes. It is quite interesting. Of the biggest German p&p you could have heard, as they were some also internationally quite successful computer games, which used the setting and some of rules of this particular p&p game.

btw: What are the big autochtonous p&ps of Sweden and Australia?

I adore the art of DSA. The style and the drawing techniques have changed a lot during the course of the last decades, as also the artist have changed. But this is, what like, because some of the rather famous DSA-artist have their own very characteristic style.

Like Uğurcan Yüce or Michaela Sommer alias Caryad.
>>
No. 25681 Kontra
>>25678
>Australian background

Do you mean like indigenous Australian or Mad Max?

Sage for brief posting
>>
No. 25683
>>25678
Because I don't think it's as interesting as the 16th-18th centuries on the Kazakhstan. If I were doing an Australian game, I'd reskin a wild west game into one about bushrangers. Indigenous stuff I don't know enough about, and their Dreamtime mythology tends to be more primal and not involve humans. Modern Australia is just really vanilla beyond the occasional snake. There's not much to work with there due to being such a young country (Federated and became a country in 1901). There already exist perfectly good games for post-apocalyptic Australia too, on both ends of the simulationist-freeform spectrum.

I'm not really after a great success with this project. It's mostly just something to do. I like playing around with game design, been doing so for years now on various aborted projects.

And tbh, I don't think that there is a local-only game here. The biggest ones are just 5e and Pathfinder.
>>
No. 25698
>>25683
Why don't you try and get kickstarter funding? I mean unless it's just your own personal hobby and you don't care about ever releasing it but then again why make a game for nobody else to pla
Oh right. Nvm I just realized I probably do assburgerish things like that too and can completely see the point of making a game system for no other reason than the joy to make it without the baleful interference of others and their petty seeming concerns about deadlines.
>>
No. 25726
>>25698
There's also just how little I've managed to pin down so far. I've been working on it for maybe a year, and most of that has been research and figuring out what doesn't work. I've not really made progress into the meat of the system yet because I haven't found something that I like yet beyond broad stroke design goals. Part one of game design is to think of a gameplay cycle and how levers are pulled to create outcomes, this is an in-depth analysis too, and video game documents will include control schemes and GUI elements before a single line of code has been written. They can change but you do need a very good idea of what needs to happen so you can make it happen. I'm not yet at that point. I have loose mechanics somewhat fleshed out here and there but nothing is connected yet.

For example, I have a mechanic mostly just waiting on numbers called Grit. It acts as a way to differentiate the heroic from the average in combat, since a round represents a small bout of combat instead of single strikes. It's a derived stat that will be based on Endurance and Fortitude, a combination of both physical and mental hardiness. What it does is act as a health threshold where above grit, a character or NPC takes half damage rounded up, but once it goes below it, then they start to get physically and mentally exhausted as the fight goes on and their wounds add up. This gives you the ability to start really laying into them and dealing full damage. So a heroic figure with higher grit can basically tank more damage for longer than the average person whose strength fails long before them, while the hero can still be brought down by lesser individuals through attrition. This is separate from armour which will affect damage before it interacts with HP, so a well armoured individual will take less damage and thus reach the Grit threshold later still. Armour is WIP though.
>>
No. 25728
>>25726
It sounds like your biggest problem is going to be making sure the mechanic doesnt become irretrievably broken. It makes me think of Fallout 1 and how by the time you get even combat armor you can waste entire locations at a time. The real trouble is getting it to scale appropriately, plus any RPer ever is going to see that and immediately think they can abuse the fuck out of it especially by minmaxing
>>
No. 25729
>>25728
Which is why I'm waiting on numbers. Minmaxing is a non-issue in paper gaming though. If an encounter is too easy, then I can ramp it up with minimal effort, and the Stormwind Fallacy exists too. HP levels are also not going to be super high anyway so you might get 3 or so extra hits before you die at most (a turn is maybe 30 seconds to a minute of fighting) and healing isn't as easy as popping a health pot or using a spell. I'll probably tie healing into Grit as well, maybe sub-threshold damage heals faster than over-threshold damage, I dunno yet.

It is also going to affect NPCs which makes a little more bookkeeping in combat but not all that much. So while little guys might wear down fairly easily, having to fight accomplished warriors like you will be a lot of the time means that you'll be trying to outlast an enemy who can tough out as much damage as you can, both trying to tip the other over the edge into exhaustion. Even worse if you're outnumbered.

Also, with feat-based progression designed to evoke the idea of legend building, it's pretty easy to justify cutting off feats for fights that were completely lopsided without any work going into it (like ambushing or something). The GM is a powerful game mechanic that people are too afraid of because of what amounts to memes about tyrant GMs. So essentially you have the ability to tweak encounters to be challenging as well as a valve you can close to create a push factor towards heroic deeds over slaughtering mooks.
>>
No. 25764
128 kB, 1366 × 972
Alright, some time opened up in my schedule to run a game. Been meaning to try Astral for a while because Roll20 has had some issues for a while. Not so much software, just management decisions that I disagree with. I'll look into setting up a game. Probably Operation Whitebox because WWII is kino.

So far it seems pretty good. Some nice features for the free version too. It might not be as well-connected as Roll20 is with industry partners but I can see that changing because of their connection with DTRPG. My main gripe is that it's still clunky to make maps for, but that's a virtual tabletop thing rather than a strike against this system specifically.

Expressions of interest are open, but I'm not committing to anything yet. Just feeling out interest. No experience necessary. Only real requirement is that you go in open minded because OWB is OSR and I like it that way. It's lightweight and plays fast. The only thing I do is track ammo because it opens up some neat tactics regarding movement that the base rules don't cover. If not having a billion different types of dice roll bothers you, then it's a deal breaker. If theatre of the mind combat is a problem, then it's a deal breaker. I'm not super used to VTTs and I intend to keep it simple. Plus I don't really want to buy the supplement for tactical combat right now.

If you really want a specific kind of WWII experience, feel free to note it. I may take it into consideration even. Currently leaning towards either airborne in Overlord or Operation Tonga but I'm flexible.

If I ever get to that stage, I'll probably also use Astral for playtesting Batyr.
>>
No. 25819
322 kB, 1920 × 1280
Nice thread!

>>What are you playing?

I am playing Shadowrun and TDE / DSA 4.1

>what are you running

currently i am also the GM for a group of newbies in Shadowrun

>what are you working on

planning on getting those newbies to be fit enough to each GM a scenario/adventure of their own.

>>25456
Try asking around gaming stores or math/science departments at unis for players for a group

>>25481
The Shadowrun rules can get quite excessive, but the baseline is piss-ease: Pool of D6 comrpomised of the sum of specific Skill + related attribute + Modifiers vs either a fixed threshold or an opposed test of somebody rolling a pool of his own. Rolled 5+6 are successes, if you roll more than half of your pool in 1s, you glitch

There is a character creation and organizing tool called Chummer5a, use it.

Joining an ongoing campaign can be easy or difficult, heavily depending on the campaign, it USUALLY shouldn't be much of an issue provided the player number doesn't get to excessicve.

Just ask them if you could join in.
Playing somthing like a Streetsam (mundane combat focused char with lots of Cyberwar) as a first char is a good idea because it keeps shit simple.

Also take a look at the Shaworun Returns Trilogy, they are a great entryway to the setting, albeit being set ~20 years in the past of the games current timeline.

>>25511
Tfw used to be an absolute rules crack in 4.1 up until some years ago when i played G7 weekly.

>>25764
FYI ROll20 got hacked and the account database including (hashed) passwords sold on le dorkweb. Idk if they salted their hashes, but just to be safe, change your password everywhere you also used it.
>>
No. 25820
>>25819
I do a biannual password change anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.

I have heard that Shadowrun 6e is in the pipeline. Have you heard anything about it?

t. curious choomba
>>
No. 25822
>>25820
a week or two ago the full 6e CRB was leaked (about a month or more before it should have hit the digital stores).
It managed to unite both 4e and 5e fans (who usually don't get along) in judging it to be quite bad.
Tries to oversimply a lot of stuff but fails quite hard with several core pieces, the new Edge mechanic being the most crucial one.
>>
No. 25835
47 kB, 1836 × 597
rebrand.ly/TSRDnD
>>
No. 25836
2,5 MB
756 kB, 599 × 711
>>25835
They have quite a lot novels there.
>>
No. 25861
>>25822
Well shit. I mean, the biggest issue was making decking less obnoxious (something that cyberpunk games in general have a criminal history in). Cyberpunk Red did a pretty good job all things said. I'll probably pick up the full game when it drops based on the basic rules that have been released. They're a considerable upgrade over the old ones in my opinion, even though I prefer some aspects of the 2020 setting over 2045 (which itself tbh is way more interesting than what's been shown of 2077).

>>25835
Noice. Always good to have more troves. Somtimes they have things that others don't.
>>
No. 26316
260 kB, 640 × 910
397 kB, 603 × 457
I found a twitter bot that posts a bunch of cool old school fantasy art

@WITCHES_WIZARDS

https://twitter.com/WITCHES_WIZARDS
>>
No. 26318
>>26316
If that first pic is a good indication of what the rest is like, then that looks like a useful source for RuneQuest tbh.
t. hanks
>>
No. 26425
53 kB, 524 × 600
I've decided to start small since my current ideas aren't working out the way I'd like them to. I'm about halfway through a Batyr v0.5 that is an OSR hack, essentially behaving as a pre-alpha to really nail down what things are important to the feel of the game, and then working out how to make them feel better with houserules. I'm starting with a base of Knave because it's extremely simple, and very easy to hack. Most of the job is a reskin with the hardest part being reworking magic so that the already sparse rules don't become totally uninteresting (the game is a whopping 7 pages long as is). Seeing as I'm going for legends and not outright myths, the magic has got to go and while the obvious route is to change it to feats of might or mind, that doesn't work with the way Knave functions, where characters diverge and develop based on inventory slots rather than skills, with spells taking up inventory slots in order to be able to cast them.

What's good about using Knave as a base though is that it's also very compatible with OSR material, so I can very easily change from heroic legends, to heroic fantasy extraordinarily easily, or even straddle the line a bit more which is what I intend to do. By that I mean having items that are essentially magical luck. Nothing overtly reality warping, but rather something that isn't entirely mundane but if it isn't mundane it's barely magic and can be handwaved as part of how heroic legends go with special objects. A later development will be to develop the camp beyond essentially being a permanently convenient town to offload loot at. I have some ideas that I've ripped off from a few different games but they're longer term goals that won't be in the initial version because frankly they're going to be tricky.

I'll probably have a playtest-ready version by this time next week, ready for pillaging lost Chinese/P*rsoid gold in an old fortress occupied by Dz*ngars/S*rts because like I said, 7 pages long. It's just not going to be much more than a reflavouring of the existing system from wectern fantasy into a heroic representation of the Kazakh Khanate c.1600-1800.

I'm not too picky with regards to playtesters when it comes time to recruit too. I wouldn't say no to the Brick considering it especially since he's going to have a better feel for the genre of traditional Kazakh heroics than I do which is helpful for figuring out what needs better rulings, and I would like a mix of people who know their way around paper games in general, OSR games if they exist here and most importantly, greenhorns with no experience. I value intuitiveness very highly. So if you're even a little interested, watch this space.
>>
No. 27581
>>26425
Any updates on your system?
It'd be fun to have a EC tabletop session or something :-DDDD
>>
No. 27590
>>27581
I am down to fleshing out the reskinning of magic into mundane but impressive feats, and starting on the camp system to include more features than just a place to convert gold to xp. Still converting Knave for now, but it is making progress. I have just moved though and have no internet, and I am not gonna run a game from my phone :-DDD

This version will be barebones though. The theme might not fully shine through as its a system for simple crawling, but it is a foundation that I can build upon over time. Just a disclaimer that if I run that game as an EC game, its beta testing rather than a n actual game. I have other books if people wanted a real game though. I can list systems I am willing to run and people can decide what they like the sound of. Will do so when I recover from the strain of phoneposting with big boy thumbs.
>>
No. 27593
>>27590
>Will do so when I recover from the strain of phoneposting with big boy thumbs.

Chuckled.

I'd be interested in an EC session, though I guess I'd have to buy a mic at least... and I loathe talking into microphones :<
>>
No. 27600
>>27593
Yeah, its fucked up. I hit 2 or 3 keys half of the damn time.

Mic is optional tbh. Id be running it over Astral which has a built in text chat. I might use a mic depending on how I feel because its easier to improvise with than text but a keyboard is all that is technically required.
>>
No. 27772
49 kB, 1000 × 563
Time to list some systems. I will start with simple games, mostly OSR, which is rules light and gets a lot of use out of the GM as a game mechanic instead of having rules for everything.

>Operation Whitebox
A WWII RPG based on Swords & Wizardry. It tends to be pretty lethal, running more like Band of Brothers than Inglourious Basterds. Gameplay would likely be a hexcrawl, so some prep time would be necessary to get that ready.

>Knave
Extremely lightweight fantasy game that uses an interesting inventory-based system of character differentiation. 7 pages long so its easy to learn. Dungeon diving is really all it does though.

>Golgotha
A conversion of the Black Hack for raiding ancient alien ruins, derelicts and so on. Pretty simple rules, and very atmospheric. Has a pretty cool system for forcing players to move quickly and maybe make mistakes since they are in hostile territory. Again, dungeon diving is really all it does.

>Liminal
Urban Fantasy in the modern UK. Rules are very simple and gameplay is more like detective work a la Dresden Files. UK setting is a plus thematically for me, but mechanically speaking it also limits things like guns and so on which makes shooting problems away less of a thing. It isnt really OSR but it is still nice and simple to learn. It even got nominated for 3 ENnies, including product of the year, so theres that.

Will post some crunchier systems in another post.
>>
No. 27852
115 kB, 1000 × 644
Alright lads. Part two of this list of shit I am willing to run. Consider it conditionally incomplete. I have more games in my collection, and am open to learning ones not on the list, but I aint about to go wildly off track when I have unplayed shit in my collection as is. Temper any suggestions accordingly.

Anyway, these are games that I'd consider Lite+ and up.

>Rocket Age
Pulpy sci fi in the 1930s and 40s that never was. Radium and rayguns aplenty as well as a populated solar system complete with venusian jungles and martian cities where skirmishes are fought between forces like the Royal Martian Fusiliers, Lincoln Brigade and Deutsche Marskorps. Its pretty ebin tbh.

>Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes
Another pulp game but tends to be more grounded. It does different types of games ranging from action like Where Eagles Dare and The Wild Geese, through to Hard Boiled detective stories and James Bond. It is also interestingly the system that forms the basis of the Wasteland games.

>Maid
The original game could only have come from Japan, and is fun in its own turbo-autistic way, but is actually a good system underneath it. I have successfully run it hacked as a more traditional fantasy game before (guards within a literal god's castle). Unlikely to get chosen but the option is there.

>The One Ring
Hands down the best Tolkien game ever made. I dont know it well but the rules really feel right and adventuring feels like an adventure with a company and the fact that the game breaks up for the winter and makes a mechanic of it for character and setting development is brilliant.

>Dragon Age
You know what this is. Pros are a nice and easy to understand system, and I have the splat that expands on the rules to get the feeling of ties to NPCs meaning something. Cons are that the system is just okay to good and never really knocks your socks off. I also only have it in hard copy so player aids would have to be typed out to be given to you.

>Dark Stars/Bodycount
The same game and setting but different crunchiness. Its a mix of cyberpunk, regular sci fi and a bit of ancient aliens. Its fun and can be played pretty straight as a cyberpunk space setting too. Were I running it for EC, I would probably play Bodycount which has fewer options but is significantly easier to work with. I also have an alternative setting brewed for the game if you want something different to the stock.
>>
No. 27866
179 kB, 902 × 916
175 kB, 1032 × 945
That sounds pretty cool, but I don't think I actually could participate. My only experience with RPGs are Super Nintendo JRPGs, Baldurs Gate, a few roguelikes and a vague knowledge of the alignment system. I'd probably be a burden on such a project. Also I'm afraid I couldn't always be online when needed.

The images below are taken from an online alignment test, I think we had a thread about those on old EC: http://easydamus.com/alignmenttest.html - I usually land on the edge between lawful neutral and true neutral.
>>
No. 27879
>>27852
What would you recommend for a complete beginner to learn the ropes?
I'd go for either sci fi or fantasy, both are good.

I'm assuming there's a lot of prep work involved, so we'd have to pick a system before hand. Maybe set up a poll?

Hoping for at least 3 people to participate. Of course, there's always the option of just invading some public game with a couple ernsts and colluding behind the scenes :-DDDD.
>>
No. 27888
>>27879
I am by no means an expert, but I do have some experience through a former flat mate who experimented with various sytems.

From what I remember, the Fate system is really cool when you want something simple but story focussed. It does rise and fall with the people you are gathering, which is true for all P&Ps but much more so here since a huge chunk of control is distributed from the GM to the players.

Less "creative" but pretty functional and comparatively simple is the system of the Cthulhu P&P. The setting is either modern or 1920s, you play pretty regular people without extraordinary talents that will likely die or become mentally ill during the adventure and it is not expected to carry your characters through multiple sessions.

WoD: Vampires is also rather simple, but only for the players... from what I could gather it's quite a lot of prep work for the GM and it's not easy at all to be a good GM that delivers the atmosphere.

Now I'd love to play some Shadowrun or Cyberpunk2020 due to the theme, but I have no experience with either (except for the recent SR video games).
>>
No. 27899
>>27866
There isnt really any experience requirement here. It is probably a good thing tbh since there is a zero percent chance of you being a 3.PF drone :-DDD

I usually get CN (fuck the police, fuck the system and fuck you too). But alignment is not really an important thing.

>>27879
Its not a huge amount of prepwork, but it does exist and games do different things well or poorly. I wouldnt run a game of fantasy spies in an OSR game because the social rules are often nonexistent.

I curated the list for games that I own that arent too overwhelming, so any of those work well for a new player. The easiest is Knave but the OSR tends to not have tactical combat like newer and older games do. The second list tend to have more robust rules at the cost of being slightly more complex and a little more constrained.

Are you thinking more like an all access adventure or are you more into crawling? Almost the difference between Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale if you have played them.

>>27888
Im not big on Fate personally. Its a bit too freeform for my liking, which beyond taste makes it hard to learn because the group have to really play off of each other. If yoh dont have the confidence to do so, the game falls apart.
>>
No. 27902
36,3 MB, 602 pages
>>27899
>Im not big on Fate personally. Its a bit too freeform for my liking, which beyond taste makes it hard to learn because the group have to really play off of each other.
What about The Burning Wheel?
>>
No. 27903
>>27902
Burning Wheel is something I can get behind. Character creation is pretty cool, and I think the way they do it is better than the aspects in Fate. Building blocks rather than being quite as broad.

I havent run it though. Just a read a while back so I dunno how well it plays exactly. Heard good things though. You have experience I take it?
>>
No. 27904
>>27902
>You have experience I take it?
Not at all. I just find it interesting.
>>
No. 28027
>>27899
Ah, I haven't played FATE myself. What I know is from the rulebook that was laying around in the bathroom while my former flatmate was preparing a campaign for some people.
That's also how I learned about Shadowrun :D

And reading the Shadowrun players guide there I noticed that I was missing something from all these games: Diverse game mechanics or mechanics that are optional and that the GM can chose.
Maybe that's because I simply haven't heard about the P&P's that have such a thing...

Sometimes in video games you have mini-games for certain interactions. Like hacking in Deus Ex. I usually find them to be lame or too streamlined and they almost never have anything to do with the skill actually required for the task.
And I think this could be different in a P&P. If you play a detective in Cthulhu, there should be a puzzle mechanic for finding clues in a basket of information, or if you're a decker in Shadowrun, you will have to do some near-realistic debugging of a piece of software to find a memleak/buffer overflow etc.

While the other players do their thing, you will have to spend a few turns doing your specialty in a mini-game.

I have no idea how well that would play out and it certainly isn't for everyone, but it would feel less like a pretend-adventure where I have some dice tell me that I've hacked a mainframe. Immersion on one hand, but also educational.

Do you know of any systems like that?
>>
No. 28031
>>28027
I don't know one that fits all those categories, but toolbox rulesets exist for creating subsystems, GURPS being a good example in that it isn't designed to be played from the book but the book is just rules that you can use to create your own game. I think the problem with people having subgames is that it can detract from the experience of having other players if everybody is doing their own thing instead of working on roughly the same page. That's why I like to take a middle ground and ask how a skill is going to be used when it is used. It makes interesting decisions possible (how to use a skill and not just when to use it) without really increasing rules complexity/bloat.
>>
No. 28034
I would enjoy watching the sessions if that’s cool. I don’t think I’ll have time to actually play though.
>>
No. 28043
>>28031
You make a good point. How much have you been able to play GM?
My experience is meek at best, both as GM and player I've only had like 2-3 rounds. And it's been 16 years since I was a GM and that was DSA which nobody outside of the Germony seems to know.
>>
No. 28055
71 kB, 941 × 636
>>28043
>DSA
>the wat
>Der Schwarze Au
OH you mean the dark eye yeah I know of it at least although that is largely just because of vidya. You need to just tell English speakers that it is The Dark Eye. Or use the full name. Fucking no one except for a small select few are probably going to immediately connect DSA with Dark Eye because the letters stand for German words. In fact I wondered at first if you meant The Dark Eye but DSA sounded to me like maybe you meant something else. Don't bemoan the fact people don't know what you're talking about outside of Germoney if you use acronyms for German words. Either call it Schwarze Auge or Dark Eye around non-Germans. Or DSA if you solely want to talk to those small number of people who know what it means.
>>
No. 28059
>>28043
I'm forever GM on and off for 7-8 years. Been interested in rules design for about the same time.

DSA/Dark Eye/whatever is known outside of Germany in some circles, but it's also known as being autismal. I really love how it's the biggest game in Germany in spite of, or perhaps because of, its occasionally overwhelming autism.
>>
No. 28067 Kontra
117 kB, 900 × 1273
Oh, and I missed a game from my list.

>The Frontier
Lightweight d20 system that is essentially a paper Borderlands game with the serials filed off. Might seem like a pointless addition to an already long-ish list of options, but Borderlands 3 came out recently so if someone is riding on a Pandora high, that might really appeal.

Interested parties, just either pick a game or just some preferences. Even if said preferences are theme or what kind of experience you're looking for (crawling, semi-linear campaign, sandbox etc.) and I can get an idea of what systems work for you. That way I can get started on putting together some player aids, brushing up on rules and crap.
>>
No. 28079
>>28055
I was not aware it was ever translated and everybody here calls it DSA, nobody sais Das Schwarze Auge. Otherwise I would have used the english title.

>>28059
Interesting, I always thought D&D was much more autistic than DSA because the only people I knew that would go full autism mode regarding rules were D&D players while DSA players were usually the "yeah, yeah, whatever"-crowd.

>>28067
>>27772
Liminal sounds good to me.
I'm also always down for Tolkien, so The One Ring is good too. And Cyberpunk is mighty fine with me, so I'm in for Bodycount.
>>
No. 28080
>>28079
I mean in the sense that Rolemaster is considerd autismus maximus. DSA is far more rules-heavy than most of the commonly played games in the world. The exception I'd give is probably 3.PF, but they also have the downside of being 3.PF which yes, is the kind of person you talk about there. I found that 4e guys are pretty cool, and the B/X & OSR guys are ice cold.

And preferences are noted. I'll continue to take note of what potential players are up for and test them in Astral to see if they're going to be engaging using it (how to make theatre of the mind combat engaging over the internet is a tricky question). Then I'll compile a shortlist based on that outcome and see what sticks. I know that the Brick was interested, if you could throw down a couple of preferences mate, that'd be great. No hassle if you've changed your mind though. Also, assuming that he is in, I'm still after maybe 2 more players.
t. hanks
>>
No. 28415
80 kB, 736 × 855
296 kB, 337 × 763
Okay, all three work okay on Astral, leaning towards either Liminal or Bodycount though for the sake of gameplay experience. The One Ring seems like something that would work better as a later game. Better to use a lighter system to get a group started off and established before going to something a bit heavier, just for the sake of keeping the strain of a completely new group playing over the internet to a minimum. I also listened to an on-topic episode of Radio Grognard recently about how to run theatre of the mind online, and it was such a simple solution that it blew my mind, just post up thematically appropriate art to set the scene and give the players something to look at with the abstracted reference off the side somewhere. Dunno why I never thought of it before.

So then on to business, considering that there hasn't been any other input I'm going to submit to round 2 of selections Liminal and Bodycount, which I'll work on some better summaries for so that interested parties can make more educated choices.

Here's the old setting intro for Bodycount while you wait for me to work out the summaries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FFuCI6_2M

Also, just a few hours ago, they posted about a new kickstarter campaign to get the planned splats to happen which will be ebin since one of the planned ones they've talked about in the past (ayylmaos) is entirely houserules at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiWRVFYQhE
>>
No. 28792
759 kB, 885 × 1327
Liminal:

Set in the modern UK, the premise is that there exists the so-called 'Hidden World'. It's got everything from Vampires and Werewolves to Wizards and Fairies. Most of the Hidden World isn't even that hard to find, it just tends not to be searched for by the average person because magic isn't real. The kinds of creatures that exist are pretty broad due to as the book says, the metaphorical ghost of the British Empire, so alongside the Celtic Fae you have Rakashas and Djinn etc. etc.

Players create a kind of person called a Liminal, someone who as the same suggests, occupies the boundary between the human and hidden worlds. More broadly, they create a crew of such characters who can be mages either of the educated Council of Merlin or just gutter mages, werewolf gang members, Fae Changelings or just clued in humans. The specifics are up to you, but the idea is that you'll pass for human while having some connection to the less mundane.

Each character has a drive that defines why they are doing what they do and it also acts as a way of progressing the character, as drives allow for generating extra Will (kind of like a mana bar but with more uses), and also getting extra experience.

The Crew itself is also mechanically important, rather than just a name for a party equivalent. The Crew has assets of its own that all members can benefit from, and a crew goal. Crew goals are one of the main ways to gain experience in a session, so the group is encouraged to work for the Crew rather than for themselves (which can be somewhat at odds with a character personality or drive for interesting outcomes). Finally the Crew has assets such as safehouses or transport based on the decisions of the players during character creation. These are in addition to whatever individual characters possess.

The basic mechanic is 2d6+Skill+Trait Bonus against a target number, and is really simple. Successes are boosted by a success at least 5 greater than the target, and extra complications from rolling double ones.

Direct any further questions my way and I'll try and answer. Will do the Bodycount post next.
>>
No. 28793
33 kB, 424 × 331
Bodycount:

Style over substance cyberpunk meets 80s action movie. It's a very lightweight d20 system with 5 stats that broadly cover everything you might need to do. They form the basis of secondary stats like speed and health. There are more unique ones like Edge too which is a pool that can be spent to improve outcomes on dice rolls and at the end of the session, converted into XP, and Noise which represents your reputation on the mean streets of Block 47. It can make some things easier, but remaining unidentified harder and the bigger you are, the more people there are that are going to want to take you down a peg to boost their own rep. Skills are very broad to encourage faster gameplay where everybody has a role to fill instead of there being a more simulationist approach to different abilities within broad skills (using medical kits and computers through grenades are all the same skill here). Finally there is Bodycount which is a tally of how many mooks you killed in the session, and the player with the most mook fatalities under their belt at the end gets an extra point of XP.

Character advancement works as an XP-buy system where you accumulate XP and then spend it to improve your access to gear, improve stats and skills or buy talents that act as character perks. The trees are designed to boost players towards specific gameplay styles like stealth, tank, cybernetics etc.

The core mechanic is similar to Liminal, you roll a d20 and add skill and stat to it to compare to a target number. Merely succeeding isn't good enough to get away clean though, and you need to succeed by a margin of 5 to succeed without consequences. Likewise, just failing means that it's not all bad but fail by more than 5 and things start getting bad.

Combat is far more central here than in Liminal and the game divides enemies into three separate types. The first is mooks who are just mobs of however many guys and are instantly dead when hit. Then you have Villains who are tougher and have access to stats and skills plus armour and HP. Finally are Bosses who are essentially enemy player characters, complete with Edge points to spend. The idea is that you should save the intense battles for when there are dozens of mooks, or until the players are facing down against real opponents, to fit in with the action-movie aesthetic that the game strives for.
>>
No. 28810
>>28080
I am curious, where did you learn about TDE?
There was a thread on it on /tg/ once in a blue moon, but besides that I wonder how people noticed it.
>>
No. 28816
>>28810
My old store in high school had legit grognards who had the knowledge. That and yeah, just seeing it crop up here and there on the internet.
>>
No. 28823
>>28080
I'm down too and up for pretty much anything, including Shadowrun although I think the SR rules system seems kinda retarded
>>
No. 28832
>>28823
So I've narrowed it down at this point to Liminal v Bodycount, see above. That'd make 2 players, so ideally we'd still need 2 more to kick things off. For further enticement, I'm going to add that I'm not going to be running a campaign per-se. Not until we have a solid core group that I know can make it work over the internet, so it's not like dipping your toe in and deciding you aren't feeling it is going to screw anybody over. What's going to happen is a single adventure, probably a very short one at that.
>>
No. 29001
I like the premises of Bodycount more, but prefer bell distributions over flat ones.
Tough choice.
>>
No. 29004
>>29001
I used to be a lot more pro-curve than I am now, and I can certainly see the place that it has within game design, but really diving deeper into the OSR lately has reignited my love of simple d20 systems that can be fucked with easily to really make it your own. If you like the sound of the setting and presentation, then I'd say it's a winner.
>>
No. 29051
167 kB, 679 × 960
Alright, strongest signals have been towards Bodycount so that's what I'm working on.

From players, I'll need you to make an account here https://www.astraltabletop.com/ and post your username so I can find and add you to the game. Then it's just going to be a week or two while I sort out the game specifics between real life commitments and then we can have the first session. That's assuming that I get more players. So far we have two, I'd say a minimum of 3 to even bother but 4 would be ideal.
>>
No. 29242 Kontra
>>29051
I'll create an account as soon as I'm done with work today (hope I don't forget it). I won't bump the thread because I don't really want to put this thread to page 1 while the kohl-raid is going on.
>>
No. 29860 Kontra
After struggling with how to make Batyr stand out as an OSR ruleset, I decided once more to scrap the whole idea. It as a game no longer exists. Instead I'm looking at an OSR sourcebook. They can be lots of fun and good ones are genuinely excellent. It also lets it work with more existing rulesets, and it's 'easier' in the sense that I don't have to come up with the rules, just make the content compatible.

The main goals are going to be a brief overview of the setting and random tables for generating characters, NPCs, scenes etc. as well as the second part which will be a subsystem for integrating the camp and clan into adventures, and probably a third part that looks at converting from heroic historical to Central Asian fantasy. In essence, a book along the lines of Vornheim or Yoon-Suin. I'm already liking the way it's making me feel more than making complete rules.

>>29242
Good idea. Don't want no kc refugees in the group. It's intended for Ernsts or not at all!
>>
No. 29895 Kontra
>>29051
Made an account.
Tbh the site and engine feels kinda buggy. It's acting weird on my end, at least.
I imagined the whole ordeal as a more down to earth experience with using a /roll command in some IRC channel somewhere, with text descriptions for everything and a map that's hosted as a picture somewhere :-DDDDD.
>>
No. 29902 Kontra
48 kB, 736 × 407
>>29895
What bugs are you having? Some things are a little suboptimal but it overall works fine on my end.

>IRC
Yeah, maybe that'd be better in some ways but in the longer term I think a VTT is the way to go. Way more flexible. I find that Astral is definitely a work in progress but it's not too bad, and once we scratch off Roll20, there aren't that many user-friendly ones that don't cost money. Be glad I didn't try and set up MapTool. While it's one of the most powerful engines for doing this kind of thing, it's also a lot less user friendly. This one lets me send messages to the game to announce game news and you get email updates and so on. Plus immersion features like inbuilt music player. Maptool has loads more functionality but is reliant on self-scripting a lot of it.

The idea of using a virtual tabletop over something like IRC is also that there's a distinct possibility of later doing hexcrawls or something. Plus, dungeons and crap are easier to share maps of with less chances of chinese whispers (fun as shit mechanic, but not for a new group). Eventually I'll probably also make use of the grid since presumably we'll try other systems that aren't theatre of the mind, or use overland maps and random encounters.

Also, should I take usernames now? Or wait until the kc thing blows over? I'm fairly easy either way.
>>
No. 29918 Kontra
>>29902
The "app" basically runs at 30 frames per second and blanks out regularly for some reason.
Have you tried roll20? I'm looking through their site and it seems a lot cleaner. I'll register there and report if it's any better.
>>
No. 29945 Kontra
>>29918
I know of Roll20, and they've been a bit dickish in the past because they're the big fish. Essentially they got really mad about constructive criticism and started banning paying customers for it, they're also partnered with the big fish from the paper world. On the other hand, the Astral devs are pretty active on the development forums, and are partnered with DTRPG, home of self-published turbojank homebrew. I like the underdogs.

Yeah, I wouldn't be paying them squat by swapping over, but still it's the principle. That said, if it's going to be the only one that runs properly, I'll swallow my damn pride.
>>
No. 29958 Kontra
286 kB, 1920 × 939
>>29945
Well, that sucks, human nature(tm) always seems to get in the way.
So far I like the roll20 editing tools much more (:-DDDDD), but since you'll be the one running, it's your call to make.

Astral seems to be laggy in firefox, I think it's better in chrome. It does have advantages though, namely a more streamlined experience, while roll20 is more like a presentation tool than anything.
I'll look around for other options (mostly for personal research), but I'm fine with either, as long as I can sort out the framerate issue.

This made me think how it'd be cool if a PC RPG had a sort of "GM" mode where one player can place npcs and trigger events, and update the game map in real time.
>>
No. 29976 Kontra
>>29958
Let us know how you go. I'm easy making an account on Roll20 if that's what it takes. The Firefox v Chrome thing makes sense too, since I'm using Iridium which is Chromium based instead.

>it'd be cool if a PC RPG had a sort of "GM" mode
Neverwinter Nights had this. It was pretty ebin and well implemented all things considered. To my knowledge, the games are still active basically because of that feature :-D

http://neverwinternights.info/dms.htm
>>
No. 29977 Kontra
>>29958
Also, I think a game with player classes being different schools of philosophy, with combat being magical shitposting at each other would be pretty ebin for one-shots :-DDD
>>
No. 29997
Tales From the Loop PDF is free today on DTRPG. Haven't run it, don't really have it on my radar, but a legit system from a big publisher doesn't come along for free all that often. I think it's like US$25 normally, so it's something of a steal :-D

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/210617/Tales-from-the-Loop-RPG-Rulebook

>>29958
Did you want to do some testing with Astral tonight? I can get you into the group and maybe see if it works better in player mode compared to create mode? If we can't work it out, I can set up a Roll20 session and see if that comes along better though. I was also checking out MapTool again but I can't be bothered figuring out all the hosting shit, especially not with Australian internet :-DDDDD

For now, it's easiest to just use a browser-based option.
>>
No. 30000
>>29997
Sure, just give me the time + timezone.
kz_brick is my handle.

I'm trying out some other clients in the meantime just to be sure.
>>
No. 30008
>>30000
Just sent the invite out. Whenever works for you is good for me, within reason. We are only 4 hours apart, with me being 4 ahead.
>>
No. 30088
i think tabletop games are best in a living room, at least with the help of a good video game system. I am still a sucker for an old-style board game when I need it. But if you are thinking of getting into the hobby, I think there are a few things you need to think about before you begin.

First things first, why would you get into this?

Many, many folks started into the hobby for the simple reason that they love to play. They know that the board game and the miniatures on it are a blast for them to play. While in the past it has been possible to get into the hobby, most folks have only played with hobby games of their own devising, or have been playing them for a long time and would like to continue to do so. This is a great point to begin your discussion, because the hobby is the only way we've been able to give back to the community.
>>
No. 30103
>>30088
I think that who you play with is far more important than where you play. A bad session is still bad even if you're at a table with friends, while an excellent group can make even long-distance gaming far more fun and immersive than an average group at the table might.

Tbh, I started playing because it was fun too. Been around the block, RPGs, Wargames and card games both big and small. I work on my own projects because it's fun to fiddle with, simple as that. There are some ideas of contributing to the hobby, especially in the realm of the OSR, but at the end of the day I am in it for fun.

I think it's a disservice to ourselves to not take advantage of the tide of newbies to make a healthier traditional games scene though. The influx is a great opportunity to diversify the playerbase and make the scene more sustainable, but instead we just funnel them all into WotC and GW's orbit and leave the rest of the hobby out to dry.
>>
No. 30467
435 kB, 1 page
I forgot to mention the other night that our test on Astral was pretty successful and we have our first player in the group. If the other Ernsts that are interested would post their usernames so we can get them in the group too, that'd be great. Since I have only 3 days of work this week, there's a good opportunity to have our first session (character creation and intros) later this week.

Sheets are done in-client but having a 'real' one as a backup would probably be a good idea. Plus, at the end of it you get a memento for whatever it's worth.
>>
No. 31371
134 kB, 412 × 421
Picked up the Combat Medic class for OWB. Dropped a buck in the tip jar though like the core rules, they are technically pay what you want. For the cost of download you get a pretty well-thought out class. It comes in at 1 and a bit pages long and manages to create a character that feels like more than a healbot.

I'll start with the statblock. They progress in the middle of the order for OWB. They aren't getting levels like Maquis or Charmer who get to their midgame pretty early, and they aren't quite the grind of the Tactician or Überläufer. In the same way that the Combat Engineer progresses steadily but not quite the quickest, so does the Combat Medic.

Their Hit Dice make them one of the squishier classes, and are at the bottom of the pack in that respect, alongside the Charmer and Combat Engineer. This is something that I actually love about the class. It emphasises the mortality of the medic, even when their abilities encourage them to run into incoming fire to try and save wounded comrades. It's a nice contrast to have, and makes the heroic actions that the character is designed to make, all the more heroic.

Their Basic Hit Bonuses are average support character stuff. They get mild enhancements in the last 3 levels, but nothing amazing. They aren't trained in heavy weapons or explosives, and using them is at -2 to-hit.

To offset their squishiness and low BHB though, they have above average Saving Throws. These guys can really hold their helmet on and get moving if they need to. Their starting saving throw isn't normally achieved until 3rd level or so in most characters.

On to their abilities:

First up, they have an affinity for medical treatment. They heal more damage, and more again if they have a medical kit. This applies to travel as well (with a bigger bonus), so a party with a medic will be in tip-top shape more often. They also get to further improve their saving throws against poisons, disease and fear. Once they hit 3rd level, they can heal a number of characters equal to their level up to the maximum amount during combat healing or daily healing. This is pretty powerful, healing the toughest class at level 3 up to 30% every time.

My favourite two abilities I saved for last since they are where the really great design comes in. First up is Grim Determination.

This ability means that so long as the medic ignores incoming fire to rescue or heal someone, then they get an AC bonus equal to their level. They lose it if they fight back. So the medic is encouraged to go out into no-man's land and stop that kid from bleeding out in his foxhole, relying on his team to continue the fight, and ignoring any shrapnel that hits him, to focus entirely on saving another. Good stuff, I like it. It meshes well with the ability to overcome fear, and the great saving throws, and these offset your low hit dice without actually removing the low amount of HP you have from the equation when you do make those actions.

Finally we have Allied Outrage.

This is another great thematic ability, and is pretty unique in that it gives the GM a tool to portray something of the enemy using gameplay rather than dialogue or exposition. What it does is sit there as a status so long as the medic hasn't engaged in combat. If he is fired upon in spite of this, then his allies get a +1 to-hit and +1 damage for the rest of the combat, becoming enraged at an enemy who so wantonly breaks the Geneva Conventions. At 3rd level it becomes a +2 to-hit and +2 damage, and at 5th, +3 and +3.

What I really like about this ability is that it lets me as a GM tell something about an enemy. If the enemy sees a named SS commander order his men to fire on the medic, then not only do they get the bonus but the context tells them that this is a particularly vile individual, and it's far more 'sticky' than having some no-name civilian tell them about Herr Fuckwit, SS Ultracunt.

I'd highly rate this class as an addition to the ones in the core rules. I like its overt focus on bleeding to save your comrades, as it was something explored by the Grunt class but never fully realised until now. I think it fits the types of games that it wants to run well both mechanically and thematically.
>>
No. 31378
>>30467
Shit, shit, shit. I forgot all about it over the stress of handing in my BSc. thesis.
I'm still with you guys but I need to sort things out today before I can read the backlog of this thread (will leave tab open).

Since I'm in the masters now, I will have courses over the day and either evenings or early mornings are free in my timetable. I'll get back in the evening, have to run to Uni now before they start the lecture without me D:
>>
No. 31379
>>31378
It's all good my man. Education comes way before playing pretend with rando Ernsts.
>>
No. 31439
>>31378
>>29051
Finally made an account, only slightly later than proclaimed in >>29242 :DDD

>ernst.würfel

I've read the thread-backlog as well. Looking at the char sheet you posted I feel like I should brush up on a few things. You posted a general overview of the gameplay, but it's been years since I've played a pnp. Searching the tubes for "bodycount rpg" reveals all sorts of stuff from vidya to news about ISIS beheadings :D ... Any recommendations?
>>
No. 31440 Kontra
>>31439
Also, the link to verify my astral account redirected to a broken page, but from what it looks like my account is working.
>>
No. 31441
>>31439
Invite is out. Going out and won't be active for a while though, so won't be responding probably for the rest of the night.

You can get the rules for free on drivethru, but it's simple enough that realistically once we set up your first lot of macros, you should be pretty much set to go. It frontloads most of the work onto the GM, and there isn't much work to do on that end to begin with.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/241962/Bodycount
>>
No. 31443 Kontra
>>31441
Sure, I'll also be at uni for the day. With 4 hours of time diff between you and brick I'll be 9 hours behind you. The best times would probably be your evening and my morning. If we get a player from the US someone will have to do night shift :D
>>
No. 31849
631 kB, 827 × 585
Oh shit. New Dolmenwood update :-D
https://necrotic-gnome-productions.blogspot.com/2019/10/dolmenwood-campaign-book-planning-update.html

This is my most anticipated RPG product at the moment. I am beyond hype. To the Brick, I'd really recommend looking at the artists he has linked as being commissioned to do the art. They're a good example of what I was talking about during our testing session re: doing art with regards to the OSR. The artists linked are not what I'd consider the kind of art you see in most products put out by 'Big Gaming' for lack of a better term.

Also: Still looking for one more player. Currently we have a timezone spread from Australia to Germany, so if you're in there it is best, but if you're American and willing to be up at annoying times, be my guest. That said, if we don't get any more bites, I can probably make a two player group work, and it becomes fairly easy if you guys want to roll up two characters instead of just one. A little more demanding, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Especially if you've ever played a party-based video game where you're doing that anyway.
>>
No. 31889
>>31849
I've never considered that one player can play multiple chars, but it's so obvious :D

Either way, during weekdays I'll be at uni between 12:00 and 18:00. Lucky for you guys I get up pretty early which means our best bet is my morning between 5:00 and 12:00 (14:00-21:00 eastern aussie time). On weekends I generally have no schedule so anything from 5:00-22:00 is fine (14:00-7:00 for you).

Initially I was reluctant to sign up but now I'm eagerly looking forward to the adventure. I hope I don't slow you guys down too much due to lack of experience.
>>
No. 31899
>>31889
Yeah, multiple characters is never ideal, but it can be done. It shouldn't be a habit though. It's a lot easier to fix a 2 player party in the OSR though. You just upgrade the player hit dice to the next biggest (d6 to d8s for example) so that each person is harder to kill and has more powerful HD-based abilities.

Those times actually work well for me too. I usually work mornings though afternoons, so nights are my best bet to compliment your mornings. Now assuming that the brick is cool with an afternoon session, we have a rough game time set up. With days, I'll probably attempt weekends just because I'm more likely to be free, and less likely to fuck with other people's schedules.

Don't worry about slowing down the game. It's a simple system and with Astral, we can just set up macros for your most common actions so you can get your rolls at the press of a button. I'm actually all about new blood in the hobby, so long as it's in good faith and they aren't infected with Mercer Syndrome.
>>
No. 31967 Kontra
13 kB, 509 × 519
5 kB, 294 × 307
587 kB, 614 × 924
Testing ans self-made dungeon generator for Golgotha. Top and bottom corners represent vertical transitions, meaning that rooms 10 and 11 are actually in a lower level (to be rolled up later). I went with a pointcrawl because it lets me ramp up the 'weird' factor that Golgotha thrives on. So for example, the corridor between 1 and 2 is actually going to be described as straight, so that they head north off of the landing pad and come into the next room from the west despite not actually changing direction. Similar spacial oddities are going to be all over the place too as they explore the half-dead, million year old alien installation sunk into the atmosphere of a gas giant. At the middle though I have a puzzle room that is a 4-dimensional hypercube (based on And He Built a Crooked House) and is what contains the artifact they are meant to grab (itself the size of a housebrick but requiring 2 people to move).

Dog, weird OSR shit is so much fun to make.
>>
No. 32030
Ex-Bernd from Germany would like to join. What are you guys playing?
>>
No. 32031
>>32030
Bodycount. Lightweight d20 system for things in the vein of a sci-fi/cyberpunk Stallone film, with some obvious ancient ayyliums/stargate influences. If you want in, find the link to astral and post your username so I can add you to the game.
>>
No. 32309
Alright, looks like we'll be doing two players.

What's Saturday morning zulu time like for you guys? That's my evening, Brick's late afternoon/early evening and Germany's mid-late morning. Saturday apparently works well for the German who I believe has the most stringent schedule of us.
>>
No. 32310
>>32309
Shidd, I need to finish reading the rulebook and make a proper character sheet.
But I'll make sure to be ready by then.
>>
No. 32312
410 kB, 4 pages
>>32310
Ignore the pregens at the front, but here are the basic how-tos as per the free pdf from the website. Character creation we'll go through together on the day. It's not hard though. Sheets are purely as a backup, an excel sheet with all your stats and gear on it works just as well tbh. Character creation is rolled up and takes like 5 minutes tops, so no need to worry too much about it.
>>
No. 32369
>>32309
Sure, what time exactly? I will probably get up early by most peoples standards and 5:00 UTC (6am for me) would be fine. If you'd prefer later that's okay as well but don't worry about it being too early for me :D
>>
No. 32381
>>32369
That works alright for me. Let's say 0600 zulu, assuming that works well for the brick, I believe it's midday-ish for him.
>>
No. 32396
I would also love to participate tomorrow.
how will you play?
forum-adventure-style?
With headset?
Can s.o. post the bodycount pdf here/somewhere?
>>
No. 32399
>What are you playing?
DnD 5E, because I am totally new to tabletop RPGs and it's easy and I can fit it in my already rather busy schedule without expending too much time

>What are you running?
Lost Mines of Phandelver, with some work colleagues that are also new. We are stumbling through this together. One day I just asked around and immediately had five people at hand. Seems like Stranger Things really popularized it (never watched, I am a regular nerd), although one dude has played a bit of DSA years ago. I must say I find running a set module harder than my own stuff. We had some sessions where people were sick or could not attend otherwise and because everyone is still level 2, I didn't want them to lose out on the XP or story, so I had one session with mainly roleplay and letting the group collect sidequests and another one where they actually had to gather ingredients to make a potion for their sick companion. I really liked those more than just reading from the book and then noticing that important information I could have known is written further back (I know, I should prepare, but time is scarce...).

>What are you working on?
Currently nothing, just trying to finish this campaign so I can finally do my own stuff

Also, I was kinda surprised how sadistic and evil my group can be. Right in the beginning they had a goblin hostage and their plan was to set the hostage on fire and send it into the cave to flush the others out. Then when they had killed the bugbear (after climbing straight to his cave) they decided to scare the goblins with their boss in the other cave by cutting his head off and letting it float around the cave. Also, our fighter girl took all his teeth for making rancid arrowheads with them.
>>
No. 32400
12,5 MB, 55 pages
>>32381
Sounds okay for me. I woke up again in the middle of the night again, but I'll be sure to set up an alarm.

>>32396
Tomorrow UTC 6 AM.
Playing through the virtual tabletop platform Astral https://www.astraltabletop.com/
It's pretty much a chat room with some dice roll and map drawing, token functionality. (we'll only be using dice rolls).
Rulebook attached.
>>
No. 32405
>>32400
Thanks for posting the pdf. Reason I haven't done mine is that mine is on my personal drivethru account, and I don't want to spread around my real name via watermark tbh.

>>32399
A lot of the issues with adventures, even (or especially) with some big publishers come from them actually being poorly laid out. I tend to largely agree with the metrics that this guy uses when he reads aventures. https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/

In short, it should be succinct enough to be easy to find information in at a glance, use evocative language to give you an idea of what you're dealing with rather than longform explaining shit and finally, it should have things to play with. Interactivity. Paizo is especially notorious for bloating their adventures and having poor usability, and a lot of the big WotC adventures go down the same road. That'd be my guess as to why you find it easier to use your own things. I usually do my own stuff, but sometimes I really love a good pregenerated adventure, if I find it interesting, such as with Winter's Daughter and really, most things Dolmenwood.

If you are looking for another great starter adventure, B2: The Keep on the Borderlands is excellent, even just for ripping ideas out of. It has a lot of brilliant aspects that make it very fun. My personal favourite is the keep itself acting as an adventuring base for the party and giving them something to dump gold into (especially with gold=xp, the superior system). That said, it's for Basic. Fundamentally similar but different enough to need conversion for 5e. There are conversions floating around though. Or you just play Labyrinth Lord, B/X Essentials, Swords & Wizardry or any other retroclone.

I'm also a lazy GM who tries to avoid prep unless it's for a group I can consider worth bothering for. My current irl group doesn't want to do anything but kill monsters. If I put an encounter down, it's going to just get shot rather than any kind of interaction. It's cool, I just made random tables and am randomly generating the pointcrawl as they move between rooms, with wandering monster tables going off every 5 turns. Next session they leave the 'mildly creepy' tables and go into the 'weird higher dimensional geometry' tables.
>>
No. 32430
Starting up the session in 30 minutes.

The agenda today is really just housekeeping matters. We establish something of an idea regarding when we play and for how long, what kinds of game we're after and then creating characters for the first game. I may also throw in a basic combat example to get everyone up to speed with things. It might end up being a shorter session than one in which we are gaming proper, but this kind of thing (session zero) is very important in my experience. Not so much for narrative reasons, but just for the sake of having a functional group where everyone is on the same page.
>>
No. 32431
>>32430
Ah, this sounds very reasonable. I thought I already screwed up when I discovered the "JOIN GAME" 10 minutes ago and feared I should have done this long ago. But if we are just creating our chars now I guess I'm fine.
>>
No. 32432 Kontra
>>32431
"JOIN GAME" button*
>>
No. 32433
>>32431
All good. Jump on in and we can get started.
>>
No. 32436
That worked out well, looking forward to the next session.
>>
No. 32437
>>32436
Yeah, same. I'll be fun. I'm going to try and get those sheets in the thread by tomorrow some time (and before radio time so that I don't system noise over the music again).
>>
No. 32438 Kontra
>>32436
There is no way to access my character sheet while the game is offline, it seems. I assume these things are saved in the session and will be available when resumed?
>>
No. 32439
>>32438
Yeah. They stay attached to the game. I'm working on versions of the sheet posted here: >>30467 for you guys too, just so you have something to reference.
>>
No. 32440
>>32439
Cool. I'll check this thread regularly for updates. Does it make sense to create a 10-sentence background story for the chars or do you want us to develop that together to fit into your plot?
The last game I've played was Cthulhu and there it made sense for the GM to give some hints to the players regarding their background.
>>
No. 32441
>>32440
Im more of a 3 sentence guy if people want backstory. Who were they? Who are they now? Who do they want to be?

For example, Luke Skywalker. He grew up on a moisture farm on Tatooine, left to find adventure and answers, and strives to become a Jedi Knight like his father.

It gives all the detail you need to run the character as both player and GM and nothing more. Let the stories be told at the table instead is my philosophy.
>>
No. 32442
>>32441
That sounds reasonable enough to me, yes.
>>
No. 32446
333 kB, 792 × 1120
314 kB, 792 × 1120
I think that these are complete. I'll double check tomorrow to make sure, but I don't think I missed anything.
>>
No. 32461
I'm always curious why tabletop RPGs are so popular among nerds (nothing wrong with it of course). It seems like it's kinda like improv theatre in a gaming/fantasy setting, which I'd personally be way too anxious or introverted to do.

Seems fun for people who enjoy it though.
>>
No. 32463
>>32461
I'm just trying my hand at it, but for me the appeal is less role playing and more interactive story telling and world building, having characters interact, etc. And the fact that there's rules and mechanics behind it helps give the whole thing structure and direction, instead of just imagining stuff.
Some probably enjoy the strategic and gamey aspects of it, like playing a video game but with more freedom and less grafix.
Others might actually enjoy the act of role playing and theatrics (weirdos).
>>
No. 32464
>>32461
The "improv theater" angle is less annoying if you're playing among friends or people accept that it's all a game. A game where everyone sort of knows each other and expects awkwardness is different from something like public social interaction where shit like reputations and first impressions are on the line.
>>32463
>less role playing and more interactive story telling and world building, having characters interact
That's pretty much roleplaying.
>>
No. 32488
>>32461
That's a very difficult question. Personally, I'd not consider role playing as pretending to be someone else in the acting sense, but interacting with the world based (largely) on the knowledge that the character has, essentially making character-informed decisions. As I've said before it's not a hard rule and meta is perfectly valid in certain cases.

For me, the fun thing is creating challenges that are interesting. Seeing as I tend to design in the OSR style, even when not playing an old school game, this means challenges that have no obvious, 1-step answer and most of the time I don't even figure out what works beforehand. Let's use a classic example, 'You need to cross the river. There are crocodiles in it.' From here the players can interact with the environment, and stretch their brains a bit. Do you create a zip line? How? Kill the crocodiles? How? etc. etc.

What emerges are the stories that everybody chases so much by weaving grand narrative into games where it just isn't necessary. Now that's not to say that evoking atmosphere is unimportant because it sure as hell is because getting the feel right means that players can make better informed in-character decisions which is more fun for everybody.

The kinds of things you are going to think of will vary greatly depending on setting. If you're playing in an ancient barrow with unspeakable horrors in the dark (Best Left Buried, Veins of the Earth), then your understanding of what constitutes a good idea is going to vary greatly to exploring 18th-19th Century South Carolina (Lowcountry Crawl, Colonial Gothic). Settings are essentially the framework that provides limitations, advantages and context in any situation. That way, the setting ties back into setting the challenge, and thus the fun in having your characters overcoming that challenge.

There's more to the appeal of setting than just that, but it's more a discussion of its own than something that makes specifically RPGs fun.
>>
No. 32489
331 kB, 792 × 1120
Oh yeah, I also noticed a mistake on the Hubert sheet. Fixed in this one.
>>
No. 32544
>>32488
I would like to add that PnP RPGs are the only way to ever get a true detective-like experience. It's a genre that vidya has never gotten right till this day and probably won't until we have specialized AIs for information retrieval about the world.