/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 27598
479 kB, 600 × 443
Anyone work in a corporate setting?
Any protips for a bernd/ernst not really meant for the corporate world but willing to try?
I'm about to start a 6 month contract in an entry level corporate role next week at a major Australian bank.
>>
No. 27614
Sure, here's a good pro-tip: use your spare time to find out about how production works. Who does what, who solves which problems, how does the IT work, what immediate next steps are available in that corporation for your career, how can you improve your qualification, et cetera. The management should provide you with all the necessary textbooks and commentary; a lot of junior positions will be available for you if you are willing to attain the appropriate certifications in the respective fields.
You can go on to become a project manager, a systems administrator, a network engineer and so on - that is the subset of jobs that I've seen as potential next steps when I worked in an entry-level position in a major bank.
Take your time and enjoy the opportunity to discover how production works and how is everything organized. ITIL, ISO 20001, project management doctrines such as PRINCE2 and PMBOK, business processes, procedures and practices - with the right inclination, your first few months there can be really enlightening.
>>
No. 27617
>>27614
>Who does what, who solves which problems
Indeed very important. I don't like to call it networking, because that always sounds like being overly nice to people you don't like, but getting to know the people who can help you out is a major factor when you arrive at a new job. Also: Don't be a smartass, and don't try to push your opinion on things too hard, even if you know you're right. Companies might act like they want it the other way around, but in my experience companies prefer people who don't cause a ruckus - no matter how noble the intentions were. So try to integrate without causing your coworkers or your boss any trouble, and when you have a few years of experience and made a name for yourself, then you can still bring in your own ideas and do things your way.

Also: Don't be scared of how good everyone might be. You are always clueless when you are new at work, even with experience. 12 years or so ago I thought I'll never make it, because everyone else was so good at their jobs, but now 12 years later I can see how everything is just a collection of skills you naturally acquire over the years, nothing magical to it.
>>
No. 27703
>>27614
>a lot of junior positions will be available for you if you are willing to attain the appropriate certifications in the respective fields.
It really works the other way round. A manager will provide text books and have corporate pay for an exam, if they want you in a certain position. They want you there if they think you will be useful for them in the future, i.e. you will act in a way that will help them to advance, not their competitors. For example, in a service department like IT, you will give preferential treatment to their needs.
>>
No. 27793
14 kB, 400 × 218
Check out this essay series: https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2009/10/07/the-gervais-principle-or-the-office-according-to-the-office/

I feel like it helped me have a decent mental framework for operating inside a corporation. Though of course you should take it with a grain of salt, e.g. I know it made me too quick in adopting a slacker mindset and dismissing middle managers as clueless. So I always did just enough so that my boss and coworkers were satisifed, and that left me with browsing twitter, reading articles and trading shitcoing 2/3 of the time or so. Depending on your goals, it might not be too relevant for you but I think it might be interesting to at least skim regardless.
>>
No. 27843
>>27793
>know it made me too quick in adopting a slacker mindset and dismissing middle managers as clueless
According to the series, you can't be too quick in adopting a slacker mindset and being clueless is the definition of a middle manager. Are you dumb? Every minutiae if real work you put in is a list Minute, you fucking idiot. If you don't get rich from it, there's no point in working.