/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 27969
72 kB, 424 × 600
200 kB, 646 × 431
39 kB, 309 × 408
114 kB, 910 × 584
Old thread: >>27153 - radio home page: http://radio.ernstchan.xyz:8000

This is the Radio Ernstiwan thread, the radio made by Ernst for Ernst. If you want to tune in you need a media player which is able to handle network streams, VLC, Winamp and many others do the job. Just go to the radio home page and click one of the links in the upper right corner when a stream is on (pic 4 related). If you want to do a stream yourself, then you need a software which is able to create an audio stream and direct to an Icecast-server, because that is what the radio is running on. The most popular setup is to use your butt :-D (https://sourceforge.net/projects/butt/), and in case you need to have more than one input channel you want to stream (for example microphone and music) to use butt and VoiceMeeter combined: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/ - with VoiceMeeter you can define multiple input channels and direct them to a virtual output channel, which butt recognizes.

For streaming you'll also need an account. Radio Ernstiwan has a public stream which everyone can use when it's not occupied (see below). There are also personal accounts, which can be used by streamers to ensure that they can't be blocked by someone else. In case you want to get a personal account, write a mail to ernstiwan at protonmail.ch, our dedicated radio helpdesk team will immediatly start working on your request! There is also a calendar for announcing streams, you'll have to create an account at https://zoho.eu/ and then write a mail to the above address and tell me your registration mail, so I can authorize you for the radio calendar. Not the most elegant solution, but so far it's the best we got. Since the calendar is intended for collaboration, everyone who has an account will be able to see your registration mail address, so don't use your private mail (which you probably shouldn't do anyway). The calendar is linked on the radio main page. There are no restrictions in what to stream, it can be music, any kind of readings, podcasts, you while munching on your cornflakes, whatever. You like it: chances are everyone else also likes it!

Connection data for the public stream:
address: radio.ernstchan.xyz, port 8000 (the domain has changed from the initial radio-ernstiwan.tk)
user/pass: source/teststroem
mountpoint: stream

If you have trouble connecting, just post your questions in the thread, there are several people who already have a working setup and can help you out. If you want to help and support Radio Ernstiwan, then your best bet is to listen and stream the hell outta it, since this is what is was made for. Luckily there is no need for financial support. In case you wonder about privacy/copyright issues: Our host flies the flag of St.Tome in the caribbean, the physical server location is Romania, and it is known as "privacy-orientated" and DCMA-friendly, so we should be on the safe side here.

Further development:
- Front page integration: Ernstadmin is wörking on a front page message whenever a stream is on, so that you don't need to check the radio page or the thread to see if a stream is on.
- I'll make a little howto page and integrate it on the radio main page

Thanks to Ernstadmin we already have a link to the radio page in the upper right of the EC front page. Otherwise things look breddy good. We have 2 (former) RfK hosts who are interested in making german-based program, and on /int/ we have quite a few guys who volunteered as streamers, so there's plenty of stuff to listen to, which is awesome, big thanks to everyone involved by the way!
>>
No. 27975
227 kB, 1125 × 1343
New thread? So i must shill for my weekly classic album stream again.

Once per week you can take part in this poll, the winning album will be streamed saturday 18:00 Germany time. Afterwards a new poll will be released with 2 albums (one of them the winning album) replaced by 2 others. Only albums that can be considered "classics" by public (and my) opinion can qualify for this poll.

https://strawpoll.de/gds1des

Also, i still think a live chat on the radio page would be a neet thing to have.
>>
No. 27977
I have to be honest, ever since the radio became a thing, I listened to a lot more music, and a lot more diverse music. Something about a shared experience of listening to music adds an extra level of enjoyment.
Also, brushing up on old favorites because sharing stuff you like with others is surprisingly validating. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, never thought of myself as a social person.
>>
No. 27978
>>27975
>b190sm2b31e31.jpg

Pepper spray is flammable?

>also, i still think a live chat on the radio page would be a neet thing to have.

It will collide with erstchan and splitting up the few Ernsts/Bernds even more. Don't do it.
>>
No. 27980
207 kB, 2100 × 1656
99 kB, 1368 × 411
29 kB, 565 × 294
20 kB, 473 × 219
Howto-page created. I didn't include the connection data for the public stream. Not that it matters much, but for now it didn't seem reasonable to put this online outside of EC, since the public stream account should be for people who visit EC. Not sure about that, though. Theoretically we yould just put it on the page for anyone who wants to try, it most likely won't happen anyway that someone accidentally visits there and decides to stream. For now I just thought we keep that data here on EC.

Concerning the topic of front page integration: Please take a moment and pay your tributes to Ernstadmin, who bare-handedly wrestled the perl demon to an epic draw recently. Rematch will probably follow soon...

>>27975
>>27978
>chat
I hope the people don't become divided over that topic. I can see why people enjoy the social component of the radio, and want to make use of the opportunity to share their thoughts, since I feel the same way. I don't know how many regular radio users there are, maybe 5-6 or so. I don't know if this is enough to sustain a chat, given that not everybody is online all the time. I suggest keeping that as an option in case the radio for some inexplicable reason becomes popular and the demand increases, so that the thread can't properly contain the discussion any longer.

>>27977
Same here, over the radio I listen to stuff which I most likely never would click on if I saw it on youtube, but the opportunity to listen simultaneously with the people I'm talking to adds another element to the communication. Maybe it's the synchronity of the experience in comparison to the otherwise asynchronous post/reply-kind of communication.
>Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, never thought of myself as a social person.
Maybe it's just good to have some people around who you know can relate to you and your views on things, even if you don't feel the need to socialize. Knowing that those people approve of your musical taste, and in return sharing theirs, feels like having a tribe. Just like sitting together in silence and staring into the campfire.
>>
No. 27989
The problem with chats is that it separates the userbase. Magyarchan has an IRC and it's a circlejerk basically, completely separated from the chan itself. I wouldn't want EC to follow suit.
>>
No. 27990
944 kB, 1050 × 828
>>27977
Same, and I'm definitely not a social person in any other area of life. Weird. I have no choice but to accept the explanation offered by >>27980.

>>27980
>Please take a moment and pay your tributes to Ernstadmin
Salute to Ernstadmin for his valiant efforts.
>>
No. 27994
>>27989
The difference would be that this chat is only for the purposes of discussing the radio live, and ideally would be disabled while there's no stream.

Then again, it's not a deal breaker to me. It's just that a thread is a pretty clunky way to discuss the radia, the previous thread systemkontra'd in record time, faster than even the today thread.
>>
No. 27996
73 kB, 1026 × 720
Streaming a bit of techno and house from a list again via randomizing algorithm. Probably not too long, around 20-50min.
>>
No. 28007
I'll be streaming the album Meds, by Placebo.
>>
No. 28008
>>27994
It won't hurt to try it out I guess. I'll have a look what I can do technically if there's a chat system tiny enough to fit on our server, the more lightweight the better. Maybe it's possible to integrate an external service. Will take a little time until I can evaluate, though, since my schedule is kinda tight for the next few days, will also miss most of the >>28007 stream ;_;
>>
No. 28009 Kontra
83 kB, 595 × 599
>>27990
Had to look twice until I noticed the shoop, saved!
>>
No. 28010
>>28008
I guess most good chat tools require some monetary investment.
Since i like the idea of a chat i wouldn't mind to contribute a tiny bit if necessary.
>>
No. 28012
Stream ending shortly.
>>
No. 28013
136 kB, 1200 × 800
I will stream the album Cellular Automata by Dopplereffekt in 5min. The run time is 38min. It's scientific electro music one could say.
>>
No. 28014 Kontra
>>28013
Sorry, but the last track was from another album already. Might stream that in the future then.
>>
No. 28016
>>28014
I enjoyed the stream.

>the last track was from another album already
These small hiccups happen. When I was streaming earlier, the album ended sooner than I expected and started over from the beginning :D.
>>
No. 28017
>>28016
>I enjoyed the stream.

Good to know. Gerald Donald and James Stinson did projects together and alone under various aliases and quite a bit of them are conceptual works with album length that are not your usual techno and kraftwerkian electro. So I guess I might stream some of them in the near future. Would be an opportunity for myself to listen to these in one session.
>>
No. 28036
Finally some time for radio. Since nobody is streaming, I'll throw in an hour of Sodom, which is a german thrash metal band, starting at 18:45GMT+2, which should be 16:45 EC time. Stream will only be an hour, so plenty of time for other streamers after this.
>>
No. 28037
>>28036
I was actually recently on a thrash binge, this is gonna be gut.
>>
No. 28039
52 kB, 600 × 600
81 kB, 600 × 595
54 kB, 500 × 500
193 kB, 1000 × 1000
>>28037
> this is gonna be gut.
No, it's gonna be total trash, erm, thrash :D But maybe it will gut your ears.

Bad puns aside, I enjoy Sodom, they are straightforward, hard-hitting, and not deep at all. Perfect to relax in the evening and to get rid of any anger which might have accumulated over the day.
>>
No. 28042 Kontra
93 kB, 186 × 138, 0:00
Stream will be over in 10 minutes!
>>
No. 28049
172 kB, 599 × 587
76 kB, 600 × 605
84 kB, 599 × 605
Streaming the Album Virtual Geisha by Japanese Telecom in about 5mins. The order of tracks is not right but should still be cool.
It's modernist kraftwerkian techno-electro with Japanese 80s and 90s technocultural influence. It tells of the Japanese domination during that years somehow, a bit of eastern influence tbh, something is different than with other projects by this guy.
>>
No. 28051
>>28049
>the Album Virtual Geisha by Japanese Telecom
I love all that obscure stuff Ernst digs out for the radio. Tuning in...
>>
No. 28056
My friend's friend's friends did an album
https://youtu.be/IHh3rEF57dA
>>
No. 28057
12 kB, 600 × 153
>>28051
Hope you enjoyed it!
>>
No. 28058
>>28051
Pretty nice, I enjoyed it. A little more mellow than expected, but that was a welcome surprise.

>>28056
I'll give it a try tomorrow, too late for listening through the full album tonight.
>>
No. 28084
14 kB, 220 × 220
Streaming John Lennon:Live in New York City shortly. Play time is about 45 minutes.
>>
No. 28085
>>28084
It sounds a bit quiet.
Otherwise, good stuff. Love live recordings, they have a coziness to them.
>>
No. 28086
>>28085
I bumped up the sound on BUTT; is that better? I'm listening through my speakers and can't tell.
A good live album is awesome, but sadly my collection of them is very thin.
>>
No. 28087
>>28086
have it peak around 0 in butt, so not in the yellow area but just before that and still green. That should be a sufficient volume.
>>
No. 28088
895 kB, 322 × 240, 0:30
>>28087
Thanks; I tested the volume and, judging by the green/yellow lights, it looks like I need to move the sound up anywhere from 8-15dB depending on the the album.

Once again I missed the end of the last song I was streaming and the playlist restarted(it was just a long note from the opening of the 'stream will start shortly' track). Maybe I need a 'music is over, please drive safely and remember to tip your waiter' track to run for a few minutes at the end. It might also work better than just cutting the stream after the last song.
>>
No. 28089
235 kB, 1200 × 800
405 kB, 1200 × 800
In the meantime I looked for a chat application which doesn't need a database, and I found something: phpfreechat seems to be a basic chat application without the need for a database and is (self-proclaimed) designed to go easy on server resources. I will give this a try in the next few days, not sure if it's possible to fit this on our 1GB RAM server, since of course it needs a web server with php enabled. I guess I'll once again ignore nginx and go for Apache, because I'm old enough to ignore new technologies.

I also thought that we need a logo for the radio, so I tried to create something, but I wasn't very successful. I remembered how difficult it is to create something from scratch in comparison to just editing an existing image.
>>
No. 28090
>>28088
I'm also looking for a stream will start shortly and stream is over melody/announcement. Didn't Kazahk posted the former?
I wish I could play the muzak from the Pall Mall service hotline we called with our mobiles as teens. It was this super relaxing jazz music that still was upbeat and after a few seconds a voice told you that calling the hotline via mobile is not possible. Instead of this a "the stream will start shortly" would be great.

>>28089
The old tyme radio alone with the leaf could work well, but tbh I'm not confident about this suggestion.
>>
No. 28091
5,5 MB, 4:46
566 kB, 0:36
>>28090
>I'm also looking for a stream will start shortly and stream is over melody/announcement. Didn't Kazahk posted the former?
Yeah, he did, and it's pretty ebin, here you go. Second one is the cantina band ripoff I created with german voiceover.
>>
No. 28092
3,5 MB, 2:45
>>28090
I made this for my weekly album stream out of some elevator music from YT and a text to speech website.

I can change it a bit so it fits for every stream if someone wants to.
>>
No. 28093
>>28092
Ah yes!! It is of the style from the Pall Mall hotline, tho that was even more "smoking is cool & relaxing". I also like the dutch accent. Yet I'd prefer a simple "stream will start shortly, please hold the line" that repeats several times within the loop.

Maybe I will make a loop myself with hold the line sample
>>
No. 28095
96 kB, 600 × 600
70 kB, 616 × 440
It's getting colder, fall is at the doorstep. But I will punch out an EP that directly catapults us into the Swedish country side or some small town somewhere in Monatana, where my shack actually is located for the time of playing :3

It's not just made to dance but rather is conceptual and more "ambient", catching an atmosphere of winter and snow.

Polaris is Legowelt aka Danny Wolfers, a synth geek that really has its autist allures. He is dutch btw :DDD

So as the computer voice lady tells you for some minutes already, the stream will start soon!
>>
No. 28096
20 kB, 370 × 267
93 kB, 807 × 505
>>28095
Listening!

Also: Anybody also noticed that the radio interface almost always shows one more max listener than current listeners? Even when I'm the first and only one that is connected, it shows max listeners 2. I guess this is me padding the amount of listeners in the vain attempt to make the radio appear more popular some connection issue, that an incoming connection is redirected internally and counts as two for a very short time span.

It's rare that you see the same count for max and current listeners. Maybe there are some clients which don't create that effect while connecting.
>>
No. 28099
19 kB, 811 × 536
7 kB, 600 × 600
>>28089
>logo
I like the idea of using the old radio image, but how it is used depends on what you had in mind. Were you thinking of a logo which is a basic recognizable image, like EC uses the leaf? Or something more complex, closer to a banner for the Radio Ernstiwan page?

>I remembered how difficult it is to create something from scratch in comparison to just editing an existing image
That's the truth.

>>28092
>I can change it a bit so it fits for every stream if someone wants to.
If you did that, I could use it along with these two >>28091. Although maybe you could also add in a message reminding listeners about your weekly stream; it never hurts to have a little extra advertising :DD.

>>28095
Good stuff. I've been meaning to build an ambient music collection, but have yet to do so.

>>28096
>Anybody else noticed that the radio interface almost always shows one more max listener than current listeners?
Most of the time it does, but I know I've seen current listeners=max listeners sometimes too. If it was a redirecting issue, it seems like it would show the max listeners as greater 100% of the time. I don't know enough about the tech side to say for sure, though.
>>
No. 28100
>>28098
>Good stuff. I've been meaning to build an ambient music collection

Thanks! But it's not what is generally understood as ambient. Legowelt (Polarius) has his own sound, many aliases but still a distinct sound somehow. It overall is fitted into what can be called the Westcoast Sound of Holland (in electronic music at least :D).
What I meant is that the album is conceptual and catches an ambience that is more special than what is usual in music made for dancing. I will stream such stuff that catches ambiences more often I guess, since it's a possibility for me to sit through and enjoy as a whole and share it with Ernst as well at the same time. I already did yesterday and the day before with a Dopplereffekt album and the Japanese Telecom longplayer yesterday. These guys and the genres they can be connected to still operate in conceptual works unlike many music made specifically for clubs. Ofc Dopplereffekt can be played in a club just like Legowelt and it also happens, depending on the club. Legowelt has been more than once in my town but I never went, yet he had a big influence on my musical taste buds, electronic music knowledge and my own music production.

>>28096
I always thought somebody just left because the music sucks :DDD
>>
No. 28101
112 kB, 316 × 400
>>28099
>Were you thinking of a logo which is a basic recognizable image, like EC uses the leaf?
Yes, something like that. A simple image or a stylish piece of text maybe. Not that I have any particular use for it. It just felt incomplete to not have one. I like your images, especially the second one. Simple, powerful and recognizeable, just like a logo should be.

>>28100
>I always thought somebody just left because the music sucks :DDD
Same here :D
>>
No. 28102
>>28100
I appreciate the clarification on the artist and his work. I liked the music, but since I only have one true ambient music album(a Japanese one posted in an old music thread) I know I'm pretty loose when defining 'ambient'. When I eventually get around to saving a few more, I'll get better at figuring out how to sort them. Also, I'm sorry for deleting 28098; I had failed to include a link and thought I should fix it.

>>28101
>A simple image or a stylish piece of text maybe.
I'll see if I can come up with a few ideas and obviously the other artists here can throw their hat into the ring too. We should be able to come up with something.

>Not that I have any particular use for it.
So there is no time pressure, I like that :^D

>I like your images, especially the second one.
Thank you. The first one is just a line extraction on the radio image, but the second is an idea I've been tinkering with for a few days. I've tried out a bunch of different military caps and headphones, and so far this is the best one. The mustache is actually Frank Zappa's X~D; a program called "flask-zappa" has it as their logo. I thought it was perfect and decided to use it.

>Simple, powerful and recognizeable, just like a logo should be.
tbh, I'm nervous my first idea might actually turn out to be my best one.
>>
No. 28124
Dear sirs and I doubt there any ladies around,

I will now start a test stream. Mainly instrumental pieces, starting with some Basil Poledouris (from the Conan soundtrack), then some other soundtrack pieces and Philip Glass (Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack) and going out with classical. 100 minutes, so a bit longer test.
>>
No. 28129
481 kB, 141 × 141, 0:06
>>28124
Turned off my stream program and opened the stream to listen. Clean sound, cozy and easy to handle radio, good work.
>>
No. 28130
>>28124
Could you tell me the name of that last piece of music? I didn't have the radio page open and missed the title.
Also, that was a great 'stream is over' track.
>>
No. 28131
3,4 MB, 2:35
>>28099
There you go
>>
No. 28133
38 kB, 700 × 700
18 kB, 300 × 300
30 kB, 466 × 297
Friday an finally home, chilled music. Muffled memories from a 1960s trip to Los Alamos visiting that Uncle and Aunt you never knew you have.

Starting soon.
>>
No. 28134
111 kB, 1525 × 1012
>>28133
>Friday an finally home
Same here, love me some radio for the start of the weekend.
>>
No. 28135
I'd like to follow up with a Vaporwave Final Fantasy 7 OST remix, playtime 1h, I will start when the current streamer is done.
>>
No. 28136
>>28130
Arvo Pärt - Spiegel im Spiegel

Estonian brilliance in simplicity.
>>
No. 28137
314 kB, 281 × 500
Stream has ended, here's a medal for the lone guy who made it to the end :3
>>
No. 28139
6 kB, 600 × 600
>>28099
Created a variation of the Zappa logo. I thought the contrast between the Zappa stencil and the powerful EC colors might make a good combination. Not sure if correct, though. If nothing else, it strengthens the Ernst flavour.
>>
No. 28140
83 kB, 383 × 426, 0:02
>>28131
Thank you very much, ernst. In return, have this thumbs-up.

>>28136
Thanks; I loved that one and wanted to save it

>>28137
:D
>>
No. 28141
Im gonna do some streaming at 8. Starting with electronic music and maybe changing the genre later on, not sure yet.
Chairs!
>>
No. 28142
227 kB, 600 × 600, 0:00
>>28141
>Im gonna do some streaming at 8
Fugg, will only be able to listen to the first 15 minutes or so. Why does my tiny bit of social life always interfere with chvk streams?
>>
No. 28146
And Now for Something Completely Different
>>
No. 28151
86 kB, 311 × 371
>>28146
Fuck yes, made it back in time!
>>
No. 28163
>>28162
*2 hours
>>
No. 28164
61 kB, 600 × 600
45 kB, 436 × 600
Streaming a Drexciya EP from 1995. A description is attached in second pic.

Track listing:

1 Black Sea
2 Darthouven Fish Men
3 Hydro Theory
4 Journey Home

Starting in 5min.

>>28163
It's German time, isn't it?
>>
No. 28165
>>28164
Yes, 18:00 German time
>>
No. 28166
198 kB, 380 × 380
>>28164
>>28165
Great, I'm in. Thought I might miss it, but luckily made it home in time!
>>
No. 28169 Kontra
will stream a bit from a list, since I need background music anyway the next 25min or so.
>>
No. 28172
220 kB, 600 × 600
>>28162
Starting in 3 minutes
>>
No. 28175
>>28172
Album is now over but because it was so short i play "Recipe For Hate" now and end the stream afterwards.

Also, don't forget to vote.
https://strawpoll.de/ayee4xd
>>
No. 28178
Dang, I need to get myself a pair of wireless headphones or something, I have to hold in pee because I don't want to miss the radio :-DDDDDD
>>
No. 28180
>>28178
That's what empty bottles are for
>>
No. 28181
>>28175
Good stream! I like Bad Religion, and despite being far from knowing all their work, they have a distinct sound and the lead singer is also easy to identify, so you almost always can tell if you're listening to a Bad Religion song. Also: Voted!
>>
No. 28184 Kontra
34 kB, 480 × 360
FYI: I'm patching the server at the moment, just in case anything funny happens. Not sure if it will ask for a reboot, because I don't have a clue about Linux.
>>
No. 28185
102 kB, 700 × 700
I will stream another EP by Legowelt since I need a break from reading, too bad it's not a rainy Saturday night.

The Label writes about this EP:
>4 Track EP on 12 inches of wax from Signals label and Danny Wolfers. North Sea Spectrum unites the misty shores of the Hague with the wind swept coastline of the North East of England.
>Dedicated late night techno broodings for off-shore oil rig workers and channel island detectives seeking international crime syndicates

Playtime: 23min
Start: in about 5min

>>28184
Hope it remains stable for the time streaming
>>
No. 28186
>>28185
>Hope it remains stable for the time streaming
It should be, I'm done patching the server, and it didn't complain. I'm starting to gather the necessary stuff for the chat system now, but that shouldn't interfere with streaming.
>>
No. 28202
Starting a random playlist shortly. Well, not totally random; the songs all have a similar genre/sound(Bondage fairies/Arctic Monkeys, etc). It should run for about 45 minutes.
>>
No. 28203
Tried so set up a chat system, turned out to be more difficult than I thought at first. I installed Apache/PHP, the latter one from the standard CentOS package, and it gave me PHP 5.3 or 5.4 or something, that stuff is almost 10 years old. Upgraded to 7.2 manually no troubles until then. But the chat scripts I tried (phpfreechat and AtomChat) didn't work as I hoped. I tried to install phpfreechat, and it said on the homepage to install v2.1, but when I clicked the DL link, it gave me 2.0, and since the version is in the path name after the installation, all the references were wrong. After I corrected them, I tried to include the chat into a test page, but it complained that the script wasn't allowed to write on the server file system (which it needs to do, since there's no database involved). No matter what I did: It didn't resolve the problem. I tried chmod -R 777, chown the needed directiroes to the apache user, I even changed the apache user to be able to log in as a regular user, and it could create files in the said directories. But still the chat script insisted that it had no write access. I then gave up and tried some other stuff, but couldn't get anything to work yet. I will try again in the evening, but I don't know how much more time I will need.

>>28202
I'm in.
>>
No. 28206
>>28203
Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into the radio. The chat would be a great feature, but what you've already done is amazing. So I guess I'm saying "Don't give up", but also "Don't beat yourself up" over it either.
>>
No. 28207
>>28206
Thanks, and: Will do. I'm still confident that we'll have a chat system at some point, the question is only when and how.
>>
No. 28209
scientific electro techno

Track listing:

A1 Calabi Yau Manifold
A2 Hyperelliptic Surfaces
B1 Holomorpic N-0 Form
B2 Compactification
B3 Mirror Symmetry
C1 Non Vanishing Harmonic Spinor
D1 Hypersurface D2 Dimension 11

Seems obvious that this music is trying to cover that abstract realm of mathematics in some way.
>>
No. 28212
>>28203
I wanted to help by looking for some ways to run a chat server, and got 100% garbage. Webdev is pure shit. It's all framework this framework that, paid services, running shit through someone else's server, etc. And 99% of results are for support chat apps for webstores. Why is there such a huge market for that shit? I fucking hate it when I'm browsing a website and some annoying box pops up with "Hey, do you need help?". No I don't you fuckface, stop stealing my screen real estate.
>>
No. 28213
44 kB, 320 × 410
>>28212
> It's all framework this framework that, paid services, running shit through someone else's server, etc. And 99% of results are for support chat apps for webstores.
Yes, I saw that, too. And most of the stuff that actually fits our needs is ancient, most of it released and not updated any more since well before 2010. But no worries, I'm sure we'll find something. At least we now have a PHP enabled webserver ready for any mischief we come up with!
> I fucking hate it when I'm browsing a website and some annoying box pops up with "Hey, do you need help?". No I don't you fuckface, stop stealing my screen real estate.
When I think about that they make this shit because there are people on the internet who unironically think this is good, then I suddenly want to punch people in the face.
>>
No. 28214
>>28213
We need to go back. Ah, the good old days of forums and chat rooms.
I remember being an annoying little shit on a video game forum, talking about half life mods, downloading funny pictures and game demos. Then discovering some random roleplay chatroom and flirting with a 40yo russian woman. Those were the days.

Everything was like a little microcosm with its own regulars, authorities, elites, village idiots, etc. Social media is very alienating in comparison. Like living in a big city. Not only that, but video games went that path, too. It's all matchmaking and lobbies, no more dedicated servers.
>>
No. 28232
>>28214
>Everything was like a little microcosm with its own regulars, authorities, elites, village idiots, etc. Social media is very alienating in comparison. Like living in a big city. Not only that, but video games went that path, too. It's all matchmaking and lobbies, no more dedicated servers.

You hit the nail on the head. I really miss the days of UT, Quake and HL1 with a server browser listing clan-hosted private and public servers, some of which you could only join if you had the right mods installed etc.

The modern web is so alienating to me that I am entirely out of the loop by now; no twitter/facebook/instagram/whatever accounts, never had them and never will, no multiplayer games since more than 10 years now, only occasionally playing UT2k4 or Quake3, where you still find servers with people online.

Back in those days webradios existed and the technology is still the same today with only minor advance but no big change.
I'm not sure we need an interactive chat, but if you really feel that way, I honestly recommend just using IRC. Create a channel in in the hackint network where the main channel of old EC was, name it #ecradio and add a webinterface to that channel to the site here. This would be the tied-and-true solution that other imageboards have been using. I guess I can tell you that in 2009-2013 I was mod on KCs /mu/ and the "Radio Freies Krautchan" was operated by a few people who hosted an icecast together with a daily thread on /mu/ and later an IRC channel #rfk that could be accessed using the webinterface on Krautchan. Nothing more was needed and it worked fine.
>>
No. 28248
>>28232
It's ultimately not my call to make and it might stupid, but my idea for the chat system is that it should be deliberately limited and barebones, and serve only as a means to discuss the ongoing radio stream.

It should be coupled with the radio page itself, and serve absolutely no other purpose. Ideally it should be used only when the stream is on, and never at any other time, and its implementation should facilitate such behavior. It should be a an accessory for the radio, but not a thing on its own.

Thus, it should have no barrier of entry in the form of having to download a client or register, and the only entry point should be the radio page. The more friction there is to start using it, the less it will be used, and the less intimately it is coupled with the radio itself, the more people will use it independent of the radio, which is counter to our goal of making the radio a more interactive experience.

Meaning, the goal of the chat is to discuss what is immediately happening on the stream, discussing music, the content, rather than discussions ABOUT the radio, or anything else. Going back to video games, I guess it would be the difference between an in-game chat, and the IRC of a certain server community. They are functionally identical, but the former results in the discussion of what is happening in the game itself, while that latter results in the creation of a social unit of "users of the server", which is completely different. And the factor that decides the way in which those two systems are used is the context in which they exist, rather than the technology. Such subtle differences in context have a huge effect on the way people interact, just like the differences between community servers and matchmaking are stark, despite both ostensibly being just ways to connect players to a server. Hope it makes sense.
>>
No. 28249
>>28214
I can relate to that, though I have to admit that I never really experienced the "good old times", I didn't have access to a personal computer back then, and when I got one around 2000, I had lots of things to catch up to. So I never really was part of a community, because I didn't know about them, and those which were easily available (like StudiVZ, the early german version of Facebook) just weren't for me. That community feeling first hit me when I accidentally stumbled on Krautchan 2010.

>>28232
>I'm not sure we need an interactive chat
I'm kinda neutral on this topic. For me, the thread is plenty, but if it's what everyone wants, we do it. It sure will be fun, but I also see the danger of dividing the small userbase. That might be just my opinion, though. It's not a big secret that I always hope for a little more traffic, especially on /b/, since I whine about this on every possible occasion, and that's why the idea of directing traffic away seems unusual to me at first. But maybe a chat even helps to attract more people, who knows?
>I honestly recommend just using IRC
I'll just go with the flow here.
>Quake3
Are you one of the KC Quake guys? :3
>>
No. 28251 Kontra
>>28214
Imageboards are kind of social media as well, except that the village idiots still stick out as a character type, when I think of KC and the bullying of a certain balls and the person behind it. Can relate to the forum feel, I won't ever visit the forum and cringe eternally tho...

I just made a visit and holy fuck there are actually people still posting that posted more than 10 years ago, I made my account in 2007 I think and people who registered in 2006-2009 talked to each other in a thread. Feels strange, were have the times gone?
>>
No. 28256
118 kB, 600 × 600
33 kB, 300 × 300
Odd techno electro from the mid 90s: the unknown sounds of silicon chips; sounds that accompanied the Californian ideology in the underground: A dive in the material groundings of the cyberspace.

The track won't play in order tho.

Stream starts in 5-10min, tune in and dive deep into the electronic cosmos, our technological condition shaping technological mindsets.
>>
No. 28258
113 kB, 450 × 320
Just recovered from a massive seizure of shitting bricks! Remember when I told yesterday that the free PHP chat script wouldn't want to write on the local filesystem, no matter what I did? I tried again today, but this time I thought I'd just write my own function to rule out that the script had any issues. So, I created a PHP script under my webserver docroot and put a simple echo in it, worked fine. So I made a subdirectory with full write access (777) and tried to put a file in there. Nope. Tried again with 777 on the parent directory: Nope. Tried again with chown apache:apache on the directory itself and the parent directory: Nope! Thought that maybe PHP thinks it's somewhere else on the filesystem, so I let it output it's working directory: It was the webserver root, so it was correct. But for fuck's sake it wouldn't let me write a file.

I again started googling, just like yesterday, and after lots of recommendations to do the things I already did long before, I came upon the story of this poor guy who suffered the same fate. I'll just paste it in here. For reference: We're running on CentOS 7.
I’ve spent 2-3 hours pulling my hair trying to setup a supposed to be simple PHP/MySQL web application on an Amazon EC2 instance running on CentOS 7. Apache logs keep saying that it can’t write to file due to permission where file permissions are properly setup, only to realize it was SELinux in action. [...] SELinux seems to have some rules/policies that applies to files/directories on top of the unix file permissions structure. [...] Therefore, we can conclude that we need to specify the proper SELinux permissions on directories in order to serve files on a custom directory and set another SELinux permissions to allow writing to file.

The solution was applying a command I never had seen before: chcon -t httpd_sys_rw_content_t /var/www/html/outputdir -R - to allow apache to write in my test file system. So setting the permissions is not good enough, you also have to set the "permissions" You know, those other ones. All the time it was some distribution specific access handling that was messing stuff up. Moral of the story: Around Linux, never relax!

>>28256
Count me in!
>>
No. 28275
>>28248
>>28249

You two have changed my view a bit. I wasn't set on having a chat before but thought that IRC with a webclient is the simplest solution.
Now I'd rather have a chat like the brick suggests, that is only online when the radio plays (but with a read-only log of the last 500 lines or so, otherwise switching streamers would be quite interruptive).
But if that can't be done without much effort, I'd rather have just a dedicated thread.

>>28249
>Are you one of the KC Quake guys? :3
I was one of the EC-Quake guys, no idea if some of the players there were from KC.
We were playing regularly only for a few weeks in 2016 or 2017, can't remember the specifics.
>>
No. 28276 Kontra
>>28258
There is also chattr for the other kind of permissions that are neither SEL nor the regular UNIX perms.
I wasn't aware that CentOS had SEL active by default or I might have been able to help you. The extended attributes that you can change with chattr are really useful though, you can make files write-protected and even the owner can't change it, only root is able to chattr -i so that the file is modifiable again. Very useful for files like ~/.ssh/authorized_keys for example.
>>
No. 28286
When is the next transmission? I need it to test the status bar.
>>
No. 28290
>>28286
I could set up a test stream today, if you give me the time.
>>
No. 28295
55 kB, 500 × 496
Going to stream Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View at around 18:00GMT+2 today.

It's one of the best pop rock albums from the 90s, i really recommend listening to it.
I considered it for the strawpoll classic album stream but decided against it.
>>
No. 28296 Kontra
>>28295
starting
>>
No. 28297
51 kB, 600 × 600
>>28295
I haven't listened to this one in a long time, thanks for streaming it.
>>
No. 28299
18 kB, 238 × 204
>>28297
You're welcome, it's really a great album.
Incredible how few people talk about them these days considering how successful they used to be.

Also, having to shill for my poll again because we currently have 3 albums with the same amount of votes and if Ernst can't do it i have to use my vote to choose one and i don't really want to do that.

>>
No. 28304
73 kB, 506 × 462
72 kB, 521 × 501
Westcoast Sound of Holland from the year 2000, splendid and funky synth electro, published on the famous Bunker Records label.

Stream will start in 5-10min

Track listing:

1 Derrick In Nord Korea
2 He Who Rides The Tiger
3 The Ambassador
4 Sail Into Danger
5 Mr. Jims Nightclub
6 Pyong Yang Autobahn
>>
No. 28314
Can anyone please hold a transmission now for about two hours?
>>
No. 28319
>>28314
Live now. I'll keep playing as long as I can.
>>
No. 28328
>>28319
Great, thanks!
For now it shows the first transmission available. Though it may not work correctly when there is more than one transmission.
You may end the transmission.
>>
No. 28329
>>28328
Stream ended. I'm I glad I could help out.
>>
No. 28340
42 kB, 700 × 700
120 kB, 640 × 640
If there's nobody else in the time slot, I will stream a couple albums this evening, around 19:00 GMT+2.

Two southern US sludge metal albums, NOLA by Down and Paegan Terorrism tactics by Acid Bath.
>>
No. 28341
Tried on rutracker and piratebay but I can’t find Emperor X / Chad R. Matheny‘s discography. Not sure where else to look. Might just buy Apple Music to eliminate the hassle of looking for stuff tbh.
>>
No. 28342
Starting in 10 min.
>>
No. 28343
>>28342
I'll be there!

>>28341
Never heard of him, think I'll check out YT just to get an idea what he is about.

>>28328
>Great, thanks! For now it shows the first transmission available. Though it may not work correctly when there is more than one transmission.
Don't think that is much of an issue, since normally there should only be one active stream at a time.
>>
No. 28344
>>28343
I found some of his more recent stuff on YouTube it turns out. Here's his 2011 album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgSzrFx7IY&list=OLAK5uy_kxuwEMwtCkgIUwnZUErbNcEj9BpdgGp7o

He lives in Berlin apparently btw, and was a physics grad student before becoming a singer/songwriter.
>>
No. 28345
>>28342
Good stuff, I like it.
>>
No. 28346
>>28345
Glad you're enjoying it.
I'm thinking maybe I should set up an easy listening playlist of certain genres also, rather than only streaming albums back to back.
Even though I enjoy the holistic experience of an album, some people might not have time to listen to two albums back to back, and would appreciate a wide range sampler instead.
>>
No. 28347
Stream over, thanks for listening.
It was a bit too long, 2 hours. I gotta watch the overall playtime for the next stream.
>>
No. 28348
>>28347
>It was a bit too long, 2 hours. I gotta watch the overall playtime for the next stream.
Perfectly fine with me, I enjoyed it. And thanks for streaming!
>>
No. 28352
>>28341
Sometimes adding "mega.nz" to a search will pull up forums where someone has shared an album.

>>28347
I have no problem listening to 2 hours of good music, and you've proven to be a great at selecting good music. I'm new to sludge metal, but I like it. It was fast, but also slow.
>>
No. 28417
Streaming some random rock/blues for about an hour.
>>
No. 28419
Stream ended, I hope you enjoyed it. Also, I need to make an exit track to play at the end.
>>
No. 28420
163 kB, 600 × 595
141 kB, 600 × 468
102 kB, 600 × 468
Doing another test stream.

Some Viking metal, as they call themselves. Starting at 16:00 (in 8 minutes), after this some Finntroll.
>>
No. 28460
252 kB, 604 × 654
60 kB, 792 × 394
I was thinking about how to implement the chat system, and I think what >>28248 said is a good way to go
>but my idea for the chat system is that it should be deliberately limited and barebones
because frankly I'm fed up with the ancient shit you find on the internet. So I thought that maybe I can implement something of my own. That would add some extra legitimation to the project, since it would be "our" chat, and of course it would be crap, but at least it would be crap because we suck, and not because some random script from the internet doesn't do what we want. Also, I'm going to call it Ernstchad, and pic 1 will be the logo, and there's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise :D

Unrelated: Yesterday there was a stream on /b/ with an incredible 13 concurrent listeners, no technical issues whatsoever. Good to know our server can deal with this.
>>
No. 28462
63 kB, 970 × 550
131 kB, 604 × 654
Only a few hours to go for the Weekly Strawpoll Stream (or 17.00 GMT+2 if you want it so).
We still have 3 albums sharing the first place, please someone vote so i don't have to.

On another note: I'm currently thinking about setting my record player up in a way that allows me to use my PC as a sound output device even though there's absolutely no reason to do so.

Would anyone be interested in listening to me streaming directly from vinyl despite it bringing 1 or 2 disadvantages? (like having to switch sites in the middle of an LP or me having very limited control over the audio output because i don't think there's an media player i could use for this without digitalising the record first)

>>28460
Can i convince you with a little fix?
>>
No. 28464
55 kB, 448 × 410
I'll do a spontaneuos stream with some testicle-less wimpy melodic metal. Playtime will be about 100 minutes, as long as I don't decide to switch tracks in and out on the fly (I will eventually). Stream will start at 13:00GMT+2 (11:00 EC time).

>>28462
>Can i convince you with a little fix?
You can. Don't know what I did there, it looks like GIMP exported an internal layer boundary from the source image on the target. No idea how this is even possible, but thanks for fixing it!
>>
No. 28471
>>28462
Voted a second time for prince. Heard a lot of artists that were influenced by him, but never took the time to listen to his stuff.

>>28464
I wonder why more chicks aren't into power / melodic metal, considering the whole genre emanates this sort of cheesy romantic gentlemaney vibe that a lot of girls are into. On a second thought, ARE chicks still into cheesy medieval romantic novels or did the genre get superseded by overt pornography, as everything in mainstream media?

The degeneracy of mass consciousness is rather concerning. Everything is pornography these days, and I don't mean just that it has erotic content, but that it is blatant pandering to human vices. Mass media was always dumb, but I feel like it's only recently that it has become straight up diseased. Game of thrones is the most popular show ever, and it's basically an excuse to consume shock content in the form of gore and sexual violence, but masking behind "girt" and "maturity". It's like those fleshlights and dildos that are designed to look like some kind of decorative art object, or a lotion bottle, or something like that. Everyone knows that it's a sex toy, the disguise doesn't fool anyone, but it allows everyone to pretend that they are fooled to save face and uphold a pretense of decency. And "pretense" is the keyword here, not "decency". It's like there's some kind of difference between being openly and flagrantly indecent, and ostensibly conforming to social norm by covering it up slightly, so the other normals can pretend not to notice. It is exposing indecency that is taboo, not indecency itself. Perhaps because if the issue was openly addressed, it's not too long before they themselves are addressed, and forced to conform to their social norms for real, and deprived of their vices. And media is like that everywhere now. It's fashionable to be crass, arrogant, provocative, hedonistic, shameless, but masquerading behind "pop culture" or whatever.

I have sometimes witnessed situations where a young hip family, a husband, a wife, with some small kid, are in a car, and the radio is playing some latest rap song about fucking bitches, taking drugs, murder, etc., and I'm the only one who feels uncomfortable. It's surreal.
>>
No. 28472
God damn, this sort of cheesy power metal I used to be into evokes vivid memories of me being 16 and playing world of warcraft with avantasia and gamma ray and stuff blaring through my headphones. Just farming mats for the next raid night on an empty server at 6 AM servertime.
It's amazing completely forgotten memories can be brought back by music, even if it's bad :-DDDDD.
>>
No. 28473
21 kB, 355 × 296
>>28471
>Voted a second time for prince
You sexy motherfucker :D
>but never took the time to listen to his stuff
I love "Let's go crazy", because it's so fun and uplifting.

>The degeneracy of mass consciousness is rather concerning. Everything is pornography these days
Don't think it's really about pornography itself, that's just the vehicle for marketing. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it's just the logic consequence of capitalism that you try to sell your goods in a way which does appeal to most people, on the other hand it makes you worry about what the end game of all this will be.
>And media is like that everywhere now. It's fashionable to be crass, arrogant, provocative, hedonistic, shameless
It sure seems to hit a nerve, maybe it's just shining light on everyone's dark side, and people now use this opportunity to get rid of the guilt they feel for it, because now they can just mask it as virtue.
>>
No. 28474
>>28472
>God damn, this sort of cheesy power metal I used to be into evokes vivid memories of me being 16 and playing world of warcraft
Same with me, just exchange WoW with some C64, Amiga or SNES-stuff. Good times, man!
>with avantasia and gamma ray
Don't give me ideas :DDD
>>
No. 28475 Kontra
22 kB, 400 × 225
Last 10 minutes have started, thanks for listening! I enjoyed listening to that old stuff again, even if I know that lots of it is crap.
>>
No. 28476
HAMSTER
A DENTIST
HARD PORN
STEVEN SEAGAL

:_DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
No. 28477
>>28476
This will never cease to be funny :DDD

IN ME THE FISHMONSTER!
>>
No. 28498
>>28497
Just tried to vote. Is it intentionally that you can only vote for one song now instead of multiple?
>>
No. 28499
189 kB, 1400 × 1400
38 kB, 600 × 607
Weekly Strawpoll Stream starts in around 5min
This weeks winner is "Prince - Purple Rain"

Prince and "Q- Are We Not Men- A- We Are Devo!" by Devo have been taken out of the poll, instead you can now vote for "Nirvana - Nevermind" and "The Clash - London Calling"

Here's the new poll

https://strawpoll.de/sf18fa5

>>28498
No, i fucked up, thanks for letting me know the poll should be fixed now
>>
No. 28501
19 kB, 510 × 333
Intredasting, I know most of these songs, but I don't know why. Probably all regularly on the radio. Also: Pretty good music, once again a quality album for the weekly stream. Makes me want to vote for something unknown next time, maybe there is more quality I entirely missed up until now.
>>
No. 28504
8 kB, 225 × 224
Last song playing now, thanks for tuning in and i hope you liked this weeks album.

>>28501
>but I don't know why

Maybe you've seen the movie?

>Makes me want to vote for something unknown next time

In the worst case you don't like it.
Also, all of the albums i pick can be considered classics by the dictionary definiton, so how bad can it be?

And before we end a little fun fact about Prince:

Dave Chappelle made fun about Prince in a sketch on Chappelle's Show, a while later Prince released a single with pic related as cover art
>>
No. 28505
>>28504
>a while later Prince released a single with pic related as cover art
I don't get the joge. Something about pancakes?

>that outro music
:DDDDDD
>>
No. 28506
54 kB, 900 × 900
70 kB, 900 × 900
91 kB, 900 × 900
>>28462
Do you have a large vinyl collection? I'm not an audiophile, and my speakers might not be good enough to tell the difference, but I'd like to hear a few of them.

>>28471
>Heard a lot of artists that were influenced by him, but never took the time to listen to his stuff.
Same here. Even after his death, when they were playing him a lot on the radio, I still never sat down to listen to his albums straight through.

>>28499
Great stream. Voted for next week.
>>
No. 28508
78 kB, 1280 × 720
>>28505
It's a picture of Dave Chappelle from the sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff8LEx9Mw54
>>
No. 28509
40 kB, 193 × 217, 0:00
>>28506
>Logo

Neat!
>>
No. 28510
80 kB, 756 × 574
>>28506
Holy shit, this is great! I'm sooo gonna use this somewhere...

>>28508
Ah I see, thanks for clarification.
>>
No. 28512
>>28506
>Do you have a large vinyl collection? I'm not an audiophile, and my speakers might not be good enough to tell the difference, but I'd like to hear a few of them.

Not really big, i just pick up a record here and there whenever i see one really cheap on ebay, on flea markets or wherever.
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile and i'm pretty sure that most of the people who talk about how much better vinyl is than CD's don't know what they're talking about.
I don't think you get much more out of it in terms of quality, in many cases it is definitely the other way around.
But vinyl has a special feel to it, it's hard to explain why but it's just nicer to have.
>>
No. 28514
122 kB, 900 × 900
>>28509
>>28510
Thanks. I also made this one, but I think it looks too much like an ad for lemon-lime soda :DD.

>>28512
>But vinyl has a special feel to it, it's hard to explain why but it's just nicer to have.
Maybe it's seems more pure, or real, than digital music. The sound is so mechanical, just a needle vibrating in grooves and amplified. I remember as a kid we would make a record player out of a rolled up piece of paper and a sewing needle. Maybe old memories like that add to the appeal of vinyl.
>>
No. 28524
Testing BUTT. Seems to work, but it does not display meta infos or even the current track, I can only update this manually. So too much work for streaming.

And my winamp is running havoc as well while streaming, whole system freezing from track to track. Will switch back to Mixxx I guess.
>>
No. 28526
Just to check - was radio status shown at the top of the page on EC during transmissions? Or there are problems, and the status isn't shown?
>>
No. 28527
>>28526
I think it wasn't. Don't know why, I'm sure I saw it working a few days ago while someone else streamed. If you wanna check: I just started a stream.
>>
No. 28531 Kontra
Will go offline now. Just tell me if you want to check tomorrow, I should be here all day for a test stream.
>>
No. 28549
57 kB, 352 × 470
I'm thinking about streaming lectures, I sometimes listen to, as they provide a fast introduction to a topic at times. Not sure if it is too special, but maybe Ernst would be interested

>What is the digital? The question is typically answered via reference to things -- things like Twitter, Playstation, or computers in general. Indeed, the definition of “digital” is often given through various descriptions of the latest commercial ventures and the industrial techniques that provide their footing. Yet the digital is not a description of a media artifact so much as it is a specific mode of thinking and being. In this lecture we will define the digital explicitly, not merely by reference to actually existing media technologies, but also, and perhaps more importantly, as a specific event within philosophy.

I dipped into the lecture yesterday but fall asleep, The Digital will be carved out by a description of the Analog as far as I got it. Modes of thinking in theory. So it's about (post)structuralist philosophy and the influence of process philosophy in current humanities, which atm is analog thinking according to the lecturer.

If somebody might be in I would perhaps stream it in the evening, not sure and I still need to check the calendar. The stream time would be about an hour.
>>
No. 28552
130 kB, 1380 × 595
I found a good use for our new logo, pretty sure it won't be the last one! Please inform me if there is any kind of layout issue on your device / with your resolution.

>>28549
I think that's a good idea and I actually thought about stuff like this when the idea of a radio came to mind. Of course the obvious use for a radio is music, but it can also be lectures, podcasts, debates, speeches and everything else which can be transported via an audio stream.
>>
No. 28555
>>28549
Fantastic idea.
In fact, I spent most of my time on youtube listening to lectures and talks these days. Hearing something educational from a different field of interest sounds very interesting.
>>
No. 28557
>>28526
It did. It is just I like to show the titles I am playing and this is only possible with entering manually. And then after the first title winamp&edcast went haywire and I had to terminate the application. No clue if title #2 was even transmitted.
>>
No. 28558
>>28552
But the general concept of radio in the beginning was a lot about speech and not music I think, completely turned upside down.

>but it can also be lectures, podcasts, debates, speeches and everything else which can be transported via an audio stream.

Ernst is doing Bildungsfunk now :DDD
Streaming a famous speech every week would be a funny thing. Too bad only English ones would really work.

>>28555
Yeah, tho the stuff I listen to might be niche and the level of academia is quite high, so maybe it's not easy to enter what is talked about. The same could happen to me if we would listen to a lecture from STEM.
Anyway I will just stream such stuff then and now when I listen to something like that.

Currently I'm also interested in lectures from STEM that are made for noobs but are done by somebody who knows his stuff via qualification certificate. Educational radio would be good and I would like to see if somebody jump at my side and stream something of interest as well if he wants to.
>>
No. 28573
257 kB, 1200 × 700
Made some progress on the chat today. I developed stole some JQuery snippet, which lets you gather form data and transmit it to a server-side php, which then writes the data to a local file. Works like a charm on my local machine. What's left to do is provide some automatic update mechanism, for that I need to take a look at Websockets, which is rumored to be able to to a server-side push request, so the clients can update automatically on new messages. I also need to think about how to store data on the server in a way that I can identify the seperate posts when reading the file, and that I automatically delete older messages. Also I need to make sure that an attacker can't break stuff either by flooding the server or by inserting mean code.

I also thought about implementing countryballs. Getting the IP is easy, but getting the country for the IP seems to be not so easy. I looked at the IP lists from Germany and France, and there are literally gorillions of seperate ranges for each, so I don't think I can just implement something on my own. However, there are free geolocating services on the internet, but those have their limits, and that would also mean making requests to an external service which might be down, another thing to worry about. I think I'll focus on the basics first. Or I'll just assign everybody Finnball by default :DDD

>>28558
>Ernst is doing Bildungsfunk now :DDD
Actually, in the days before the radio went online, I already was collecting some samples, because I thought it would be necessary to "break the ice" and do some streaming by myself. Luckily, that wasn't necessary at all, because plenty of people volunteered to try it out, so I could focus on the infrastructure. But I still have some of that stuff here. Needless to say it isn't exactly educational content, most of it is memes and random faggottery :D so it's probably a good thing that I didn't use it - yet!
>>
No. 28582
1,9 MB, 2255 × 1700
So i set up my record player to use my laptop as sound outpod like described here: >>28462

On my end it sounds like ass, possible because i stream from record to laptop and then again from laptop to PC but i would still like to play something, so enjoy the B site of the Dawn of the Dead OST. Starting now.
>>
No. 28584
123 kB, 1024 × 1024
>>28582
Doesn't sound bad on my side. A little damp maybe, but I don't mind. Could even be my imagination.
>>
No. 28585
>>28584
Really? Because here it kinda sounds like playing a 240p youtube video.

I get the sound signal from my laptop to my PC via TeamViewer right now and then from the PC i stream it to the radio.
I assume i lose some quality because of TeamViewer so installing Butt on my laptop would probably be a good idea for the future.

In case anyone here has any idea about how to set up something like this in the best possible way, i would be happy to hear about it.
>>
No. 28586
>>28585
>Really?
Yeah, it sounded good on my end too. I even switched to headphones and turned it up, but could only detect the slightest static. I also just found out the graphic on my screen which indicates volume turns from blue to red as I move it higher. I didn't leave it that loud for long.
>>
No. 28587
>>28585
If you like, just play it again for a minute or so, I can make a record and post it.
>>
No. 28588
147 kB, 982 × 1000
132 kB, 599 × 586
32 kB, 600 × 608
190 kB, 1400 × 1400
>>28586
Well, in that case i might stream some more vinyl in the upcomming days, i have a few records Ernst might like.

>>28587
Thanks for the offer, maybe you can do that the next time i stream from my record player.
I definitely find some time for that this week somewhen in the evening.
>>
No. 28590
>>28588
>I definitely find some time for that this week somewhen in the evening.
Sure, I should be here every evening until (included) Thursday. Also: Based Herbie!
>>
No. 28594
I will probably stream the lecture at around UTC 21.00/9pm. I will post info about the lecturer shortly before, so we don't have to go thru 5min of praise from the one introducing the lecturer to the audience.

Again the initial question and what is about to be tackled:

>What is the digital? The question is typically answered via reference to things -- things like Twitter, Playstation, or computers in general. Indeed, the definition of “digital” is often given through various descriptions of the latest commercial ventures and the industrial techniques that provide their footing. Yet the digital is not a description of a media artifact so much as it is a specific mode of thinking and being. In this lecture we will define the digital explicitly, not merely by reference to actually existing media technologies, but also, and perhaps more importantly, as a specific event within philosophy.
>>
No. 28596
57 kB, 352 × 470
>>28594
Ok, so here are some info on the lecturer and I will stream at UTC 21:00/9pm and I hope I don't fall asleep, probably not since I want to listen to it completely this time

>Alexander R. Galloway is a writer and computer programmer working on issues in philosophy, technology, and theories of mediation. He is author of several books on digital media and critical theory, including The Interface Effect (Polity, 2012), Excommunication: Three Inquiries in Media and Mediation with Eugene Thacker and McKenzie Wark (2013), and Laruelle published in October 2014. For ten years he worked with RSG on Carnivore, Kriegspiel and other software projects. Galloway has given over two hundred talks both across the U.S. and in ten countries around the world. His writings have been translated into eleven languages. He is recipient of a number of grants and awards including a Creative Capital grant (2006) and a Golden Nica in the 2002 Prix Ars Electronica (Linz, Austria). The New York Times described his practice as "conceptually sharp, visually compelling and completely attuned to the political moment." A member of the NYU faculty since 2002, Galloway has also held visiting posts at the University of Pennsylvania (Spring 2012) and Harvard University (Fall 2016).
>>
No. 28597
63 kB, 821 × 608
>>28596
Will start listening, but probably won't make it to the end, eyelids are already getting heavy. Pic related, it's me tomorrow morning.
>>
No. 28599
>>28597
Oh me as well. Every morning. I hope you don't get tired by the music looping the original and not Laura Branigan.
As I mentioned it might be quite boring for people who have no interest or knowledge already in it, so feel free to quit or use it as tranquilizer :DDD
>>
No. 28600
76 kB, 1462 × 725
Here's a screenshot from what I've done on the chat today. It's basically a textarea where you can input text and send it via javascript, it gets written to a file in an XML structure, and the file is read and written as a table. No automatic reloading yet, and I had to cheat to display multiple messages, since at the moment I don't really append new messages as XML elements, I just write a new file everytime, so I copied 2 messages together to show how it will work. Display is timestamp (will be a decent date), IP (will maybe be a countryball, or won't be there at all) and the actual message.

Still a long way to go until it's ready to go live, though.

>>28599
>I hope you don't get tired by the music looping the original and not Laura Branigan.
It's bretty nice actually!
>>
No. 28602
Gotta admit, this talk is making me annoyed over some deep metaphysical disagreement that I can't articulate.
Not enough continuity between assertions, the thread of narrative is woven with similes, associations, analogies, but the statements themselves are actually discrete. Which is ironic given the subject.

Still interesting as food for though, though. I find that I do my most productive thinking when I disagree with something deeply and must formulate why.

Thanks for the stream.
>>
No. 28604
>>28600
Use websockets, my man. They are really easy to use and performance will be much better.
>>
No. 28616
>>28602
Gotta admit I did not really catch the divide between analog and digital, the latter is numbers whereas the analog is pure continuity, something like that? He mentioned Massumi and his text about the superiority of the analog. I read texts from Massumi and there he posits continuity (over mathematical quantification/reconstruction) of reality.
Also what was the issue with representation exactly? Did not fully get that, I know it plays role for both analog and digital.

The analog is process philosophically grounded: Bergson, Whitehead and Deleuze and really in the humanities you will find lots of branches today that favor the doings and the inbetween of connections over the entity(idenity, the entity/identity is made of its doing and its connections.
Afaik you are a "Platonist" which is basically the opposite of process philosophical thought. Idealism vs. Materialism?

I watched an online Seminar where the lecturer talked about the divide between Parmenides and Heraclitus which has a similar divide of being vs, becoming, not the same though as idealism vs. materialism I think.

Anyway I'm more interested in how to fuse both, like reality consists of planes: analog and digital exist in parallel, how does that work? Galloway said he will finish a book on cybernetics soon but I hope he will dive deeper into the digital/analog divide, is it another take on the divides I mentioned above or is there more to it?
>>
No. 28622
331 kB, 623 × 623
I will make some changes to my record player setup this evening when i'm at home. After this is done i will stream the Butthole Surfers EP by the Butthole Surfers to test it. Stream should start at around 18.oo UTC+2.

I only write this because i have nothing to do at work right now and i'm bored.
>>
No. 28623
>>28622
They must the epitome of a band that had all the potential to become huge but ruined it with a stupid name. In another dimension they settled on 'Green Day' and became multi-millionaires.
>>
No. 28624
>>28623
It wasn't just their name, everything from name, lyrics to cover art was screaming 2edgy4u in all directions, but they still had some pretty good selling albums and sold out shows so i assume they made a pretty good living with being edgy.

I wish i could've seen them live in the 80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8OS4BFjGI
>>
No. 28628
>>28622
going to set it all up now, we start in around 5min.
The record has a playtime of around 20min so turn in a few minutes if you want.
>>
No. 28630
68 kB, 600 × 600
>>28628
Dang, missed it. I hate it how work eats up time.

>>28623
>They must the epitome of a band that had all the potential to become huge but ruined it with a stupid name
I nominate "Rage". Shitty name, but great band - if you like metal.
>In another dimension they settled on 'Green Day' and became multi-millionaires.
Made my day! Also: I still can't figure out if Green Day is just some cheap bubblegum punk mass appeal band, or if they're actually good.
>>
No. 28631
151 kB, 1280 × 720
I'm going to stream The White Stripes album Elephant. Play time is about 40 minutes.
>>
No. 28632
>>28630
>I still can't figure out if Green Day is just some cheap bubblegum punk mass appeal band, or if they're actually good.

Both.
They are actually capable of making good music, they did it before but they try too hard to appeal to the masses for the last 15 or so years.

>>28631
I have a pee now and then i tune in
>>
No. 28634
36 kB, 520 × 240
58 kB, 639 × 576
Sweet!
>>
No. 28636
>>28634
Excellent! From now on I'll make sure I don't leave the description line blank.
>>
No. 28637
>>28630
While we on a topic of band names: the lamest name for a death metal band that I ever heard of is "Atheist". Any other name, however dumb and edgy it might be, would still be better. Maybe "Atheist" sounds evil and sacrilegious to some brainlet Murrican fundies, but to normal people it sounds about as menacing as "Accountant" or "Librarian".
>>
No. 28638
>>28637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRt_e4Bbk94
Personally, I nominate "Randy" as the lamest metal band name.
>>
No. 28639
OP, your pic made me watching Good Morning Vietnam.

I don't get it. I don't understand the humor whatsoever. It's just loud and sometimes, really sometimes there are just two or three funny sentences. (I think his third show was really funny? The others not at all). It could be that I'm too young, or just dunces. Maybe both.
The overall message was allright and the film has a tone which is very rare but unique.
7/10.

t. derailer of thredas
>>
No. 28641
>>28639
>OP, your pic made me watching Good Morning Vietnam. I don't get it. I don't understand the humor whatsoever
I actually never watched the movie, I just knew about the picture and thought it would make decent Radio Ernstiwan propaganda material.
>It could be that I'm too young, or just dunces
Don't worry, there's no such thing as being too young or too old, maybe it just wasn't funny. Monty Python's is ancient, and still funny as hell. Maybe a movie can be bad despite Robin Williams playing the lead. Maybe I'm too old to lurk on imageboards, and maybe I'm too old to burst into laughter when seeing images like this >>28595. Maybe I am not competent enough to manage an internet radio server, maybe I shouldn't even be allowed to own a computer. Maybe we all worry too much.

t. doesn't care much about rails
>>
No. 28642
>>28639
Yeah, Robin Williams is one of the most overrated comedians ever. His late stand-up shows were okay, though, probably because he was too old to run around and shout like an idiot.
>>
No. 28670
>>28639
Robin Williams always lived from his energy and charisma, that's what made him famous and he sticked with it.
But he was a great and versatile actor, so he's excused.
>>
No. 28689
125 kB, 750 × 600
Streaming some Me First & The Gimme Gimmes

Wikipedia:

>Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (often shortened to just "Me First" or "The Gimmes") are a punk rock supergroup and cover band that formed in San Francisco in 1995.
>The Gimmes work exclusively as a cover band. They specialize in rapid-fire punk interpretations of a wide range of songs, often with a humorous edge.
>>
No. 28733
156 kB, 924 × 606
Streaming some Greta Van Fleet.
>>
No. 28754
777 kB, 992 × 880
38 kB, 600 × 598
To celebrate that today is a holiday in Germany (reunion with the GDR) I will start an Edguy stream at 12:00GMT+2 (10:00 EC time). This is about as cheesy melodic metal as it gets, so be prepared for the worst. In the meantime, I will continue working on the chad system.

>>28604
I will, that actually was the plan all along. Don't know if there is even another possibility without making the client constantly polling for new messages - which we definitely don't want to do.
>>
No. 28755
21 kB, 380 × 500
>>28754
Shouldn't you play something more fitting for this very special day? Like the Puhdys?
>>
No. 28756
30 kB, 450 × 450
>>28755
Actually thought about it, but I have no clue about any "traditional" East German bands, except maybe Karat, so if I decided to go that direction, I most likely would have ended up streaming Rammstein or Subway to Sally, with the former one already being well known and the latter one singing in German, so maybe not well suited. Still, at least StS is bound to happen at some point, because they're one of my favourites.

>Puhdys
ALT WIE EIN BAUM MÖCHTE ICH WERDEN old like a tree I want to become
>>
No. 28758
>>28756
I know this song from my youth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJnlXMLV-4o

It's from a GDR band, but probably made after 1990, I don't know.
>>
No. 28763
39 kB, 484 × 480
99 kB, 1280 × 720
Streaming Lab Rat XL - Mice or Cyborg soon

It's an album with the distinct scienctist electro I was playing before many times here, Dopplereffekt. But more mellow.
>>
No. 28764
27 kB, 475 × 356
>>28763
>Currently at Radio Ernstiwan: Lab Rat XL - Mice or Cyborg [playtime 35min] by Remote Transmitter
Based front page integration already informed me!
>>
No. 28796
>>28764
I know but I like to say a few words and also there is the design of the vinyl or sleeve which is is part of the overall "piece of art" if you want.
>>
No. 28797
Is the public account taken down?
I can't log in with credentials given here.
>>
No. 28798
137 kB, 1000 × 1000
Streaming some Electric Light Orchestra directly from Vinyl.
I get prepared and start in around 10-15 minutes.
>>
No. 28800
>>28797
I just did a quick test, and was able to connect using BUTT. Did you type the password exactly as it appears in the OP 3rd picture?

>>28798
Count me in.
>>
No. 28801
>>28798
And we're live
>>
No. 28802
>>28800
Actually I thought user and password are used at the Administration link. Thanks, I got it.
>>
No. 28803
>>28801
And that was it, hope the two guys listening liked the album.

Tomorrow i will play the next album of the Weekly Strawpoll Stream and it's currently a tie between Iron Maiden and The Clash so if someone wants to vote that would be great otherwise i have to.

https://strawpoll.de/sf18fa5
>>
No. 28804
49 kB, 1021 × 444
>>28803
> it's currently a tie between Iron Maiden and The Clash so if someone wants to vote that would be great otherwise i have to.

Ja, was ist denn da schon wieder passiert? :DDDDDDD
>>
No. 28806
>>28804
rude
>>
No. 28807
58 kB, 1211 × 540
>>28806
>rude

Ach Ernsti, hätte ich gewusst, dass dich das so mitnimmt.

Schau mal jetzt auf die Umfrage.

Sind wir wieder Freunde?
>>
No. 28808
>>28803
If it helps break the tie, you can consider this post my secondvote for Iron Maiden.
>>
No. 28811
Electronic Music with german moderation at 20:00
>>
No. 28835
27 kB, 400 × 400
Gonna miss the album of the week-stream. It's almost as if someone knows when I want to be at home and listen to the radio, and he makes sure I never can.
>>
No. 28836
>>28835
Can't you listen from your phone?
Would it help if i move the time slot to a later date for the future? If someone has any suggestions for improvements i would be happy to hear them so everone who wants to listen can do that.
>>
No. 28837
>>28836
>Can't you listen from your phone?
Unfortunately, no.
>Would it help if i move the time slot to a later date for the future?
Thanks for the offer, but better don't! I hope it's just today where I'll miss it, in fact moving it to a later spot might make it worse. Also I don't want to be responsible for other people suddenly having problems with the time slot.
>>
No. 28838
>>28837
>Also I don't want to be responsible for other people suddenly having problems with the time slot.

It's not like there are that many people listening anyway.
I was already considering taking sunday instead of saturday but for now it will remain saturday.
>>
No. 28840
418 kB, 1024 × 1024
275 kB, 970 × 970
Getting ready for this weeks stream, the winner this time is

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols

This weeks winner and "System Of A Down - Toxicity" have been replaced with the following Albums:

Ramones - Ramones
Herbie Hancock - Future Shock

There's also a different change:
It's not "The Weekly Strawpoll Stream" anymore but "The Weekly Ernstpoll Stream" as i will try out some different ways of collecting votes.

As i said that, here's the poll with next weeks albums (i hope it works if not let me know):

https://poll.fm/10424885
>>
No. 28842
>>28836
>If someone has any suggestions for improvements i would be happy to hear them so everone who wants to listen can do that.
I was thinking that after the classic album, you could play a selection from the artist's later catalog. Either a full album, or a series of songs showing their development, or maybe even a live concert if they have a really good one. I liked that you played two by Bad Religion a couple of weeks ago, and think it could work well even when the weeks winner has a longer play time.
As far as the day, I'm free on either Saturday or Sunday.

>>28840
Great stream as always, and the new poll is working.
>>
No. 28853
>>28842
>I was thinking that after the classic album, you could play a selection from the artist's later catalog

I had something like a compilation of songs from previously played albums in mind but i can't do that before we have some more albums.
Or playing a random album that doesn't fit in the "classics" category but is still worth being listened to.
>>
No. 28895
91 kB, 807 × 454
30 kB, 427 × 640
>>28853
Either of those ideas sound great, and would broaden the exposure to great albums that have been forgotten.

I've ben listening to a lot of Buckethead, and will stream some for a while.
>>
No. 28900
245 kB, 1198 × 1200
581 kB, 970 × 970
I had this ebin idea of streaming my 1 hour mindfulness meditation playlist every evening, but I'll refrain :-D.

If nobody else is streaming, I'll do two instrumental psychedelic doom metal albums.
First one is a short appetizer, short and easy to listen to, second one is much longer and more abrasive.

Will start at 19:00 GMT+2
>>
No. 28905
>>28900
>instrumental psychedelic doom metal
Sounds like fun.
>>
No. 28909
I fucked up the beginning due to not streaming in a while :-DDDD
>>
No. 28915
8 kB, 317 × 240
>>28909
>I fucked up the beginning
We noticed :DDD By the way: VLC sends me popup messages with the song name when the song changes. Pretty neat, are you doing this with butt? If yes: How?
>>
No. 28916
>>28914
In the settings, stream tab, there's "update song name manually" button.

I just type the album name into it when it changes. I heard there's a foobar plugin for icecast, I might try to use that.

So far I like the degree of separation between the streaming program and the music playing program. Although it does trip me up sometimes, since I can't directly listen to the audio, only through the stream with delay.
>>
No. 28922
11 kB, 500 × 28
Breaking news: New way of shitposting discovered! :DDD
>>
No. 28923
133 kB, 1738 × 517
106 kB, 600 × 600
I have to correct myself: It's a whole new way of storytelling. I hereby name it "Radio shorts".
>>
No. 28924
>>28923
As it turns out, the radio had chat functionality all along :-DDDDDD.
>>
No. 28925
>>28924
good, good
>>
No. 29074
140 kB, 1280 × 720
I'll be streaming the album Everything is Fine by Amigo the Devil.
>>
No. 29075
95 kB, 700 × 709
Someone interested in me streaming Crimson King - In The Court Of The Crimson King from vinyl?
If i get a yes i will be doing so tomorrow at around 19:00 Germany time
>>
No. 29079
>>29074
Listening!

>>29075
That would fit in right with the Kosmonauten stream at 20:00, sounds great to me. A whole evening of radio!
>>
No. 29642
>>29075
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King will start soon.
The stream is already live, feel free to join now, we start in around 5 minutes.
>>
No. 29649
78 kB, 625 × 468
>>29642
I had no idea what to expect, but right from the start this sounds awesome.
>>
No. 29658
299 kB, 1200 × 1600
>>29649
I hope you like the rest of the album as much as the big opening.
>>
No. 29671
>>29658
I like it. Didn't know anything about King Crimson except the name (shame on me), but I actually enjoy that late60s / early 70s experimental stuff like this, or some of the earlier Pink Floyd works.
>>
No. 29675
20 kB, 400 × 389
>>29658
Isn't it a bit repetitive? I was sure I been listening to the same song on loop for many minutes until I finally turned it off.
>>
No. 29676
>>29658
I did. There were some quiet moments with just vocals, and it seemed like standard brit-pop, but then the music would kick in and go to another level. Thanks for streaming.
>>
No. 29680
>>29675
>I was sure I been listening to the same song on loop for many minutes

Maybe it's because it's a 45 minutes album with only 5 songs on it. You've been listening to the same songs for many minutes.
I admit that i understand when people don't see anything special in it, but considering it was released in 1969 and looking at the UK top 100 charts list of that year it was definetly a ground breaking release.

>>29676
Glad you liked it.
>>
No. 29848
>>29675
if you like the 70s prog, try the album "red"
my favorite of the era
starless is one of their best songs
bill bruford on drums iirc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8
>>
No. 30108
357 kB, 1500 × 1488
60 kB, 500 × 500
It's saturday which means it's time for The Weekly Classic Album Stream.
This weeks winner is Herbie Hancock - Future Shock which i will stream from Vinyl at 6pm GMT+2 (or ~20min from now).

The winning Album and "Nas - Illmatic" have been replaced with:

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Guns n’ Roses - Appetite for Destruction

The poll for next week:

https://poll.fm/10431330
>>
No. 30114
>>30108
Looking forward to it! Also: Voted. Is it intentional again that only one album can be voted for?
>>
No. 30115
>>30114
No, it changed that from alone. Should be fixed now for everyone who hasn't voted yet. What else did you want to vote for but couldn't? So i give you my voice to fix it.
>>
No. 30119
>>30115
Wanted to vote for Massive Attack - Blue Lines, because I don't know that. Also voted for GnR, because I know that album is awesome. So I hopefully either get a great album or one I don't know.
>>
No. 30120
5 kB, 727 × 98
>>
No. 30122
>>30108
>Herbie Hancock
That was some nice laid back music. It grabs your ear with a nice beat, but isn't too intense.

>>30119
I like to split my vote too, between something I know(or at least have heard of), and something completely unfamiliar.
>>
No. 30188
63 kB, 533 × 414
Well, it seems winamp with edcast just does not work. Winamp starts to freeze. first short intervals, then longer and longer until it crashes. Mixxx works though. Butt worked as well, but butt does not read out the current title played and I am too lazy to copypasta that all the time.

I screenshoted the configuration, perhaps I did something wrong? Fiddled around, used the IP as well as radio.ernstchan.xyz which both work with Mixxx, but edcast refused to work.
>>
No. 30233
>>30188
Looks fine for me, I assume the pipe separator for user/pass works fine. You could try a lower bitrate just to make sure it's not the upload speed giving you troubles. But then, if mixxx works, the bandwidth should not be an issue.
>>
No. 30475
435 kB, 1024 × 1024
Thanks for the stream, the Led Zeppelin medley at the end was great. I love Led Zeppelin, and that was really well done!
>>
No. 30477
>>30475
Your welcome. I discovered Buckethead recently, and have been digging through his work. There is a lot of it. I started on Youtube, but then found some more on archive.org including some FLAC recordings which sound amazing.
I'll try to stream more later.
>>
No. 30584 Kontra
Thanks, VSA-Buckethead-streamer, you are my greatest ally!