/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 3110
167 kB, 778 × 585
What role do imageboards play in our time?
Are they comparable to the secret societies of old days?
>>
No. 3112
Those secret societies were a thing for elites only.
>>
No. 3113
>>3110
>What role do imageboards play in our time?
Depends on the imageboard, but, mostly, none.
>Are they comparable to the secret societies of old days?
No, I think they are comparable to Uncatchable Joe[1].

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes
>>
No. 3115
The role of virtual toilet walls where every idiot can write down his buzzword sermons and nobody else cares about it.
>>
No. 3120
More like coffeehouses.
>>
No. 3124
>>3112
Literally everyone was a member of the Masons, hre at least
>>
No. 3127
I think they played a role in the past, maybe mostly around the time of 2004-2012. In the same way Newsgroups played a role in the 90s. Like a club of early (social) technology adopters who felt elitist for being so avantgarde.

Nowadays imageboards are just a relict of the internet 1.0 age.
>>
No. 3129
Interesting question. Who is shaping whom? comes to my mind

Do imageboards have an input effect on societies' discourses or are they more of a mirror of society without a notable impact.
>>
No. 3135 Kontra
>>3127
This doesn't make much sense because Web 2.0 was the shift to user-generated content. It's the closest thing to a meaning that buzzword has, but even if you allow message boards, the newsgroups you mentioned would be 1.0.
>>
No. 3139
>>3135
You are right about the aspect of user-generated content, it was not what i had in mind. I used the term more for the social media and its increased usability, also leading to a high increase of "normal, non-nerdy" people populating the internet.

I don't think there is a large step between newsgroups and imageboards, both share the same oldschooly discussion forum root from web 1.0.

My main point was anyway that imageboards are outdated and declining in every sense, neither the communication form nor the userbase is avantgarde anymore as it used to be.
>>
No. 3140
>>3139
>nor the userbase is avantgarde anymore as it used to be
Was it avantgarde ever?
Also, every granny and her dog know about 4chan. It's not like /pol/ isn't popular either.
>>
No. 3141
>>3140
>Was it avantgarde ever?

There was a time when imageboards where a place to cross borders, but not necessarily borders that could be considered as avantgarde. I'm sure these borders have been pushed before but on 4chan it was easier and more anonymous.
>>
No. 3142
>>3140
>Was it avantgarde ever?
IMHO it was, during it's early time and peak, mostly in the 2000s. Avantgarde not in a sense of an intellectual elite, more in it's usage of internet and communication.

>Also, every granny and her dog know about 4chan. It's not like /pol/ isn't popular either.
In early times, imageboards were mostly a "secret club". For example if you look at the "Rules of the Internet" (cringey, from a today's point of view):
https://ia902604.us.archive.org/14/items/RulesOfTheInternet/RulesOfTheInternet..txt
you will find this type of self-perception, inspired from the "Fight Club" movie which features this idea of a secret, hip underground culture.
>>
No. 3144
>>3142
> if you look at the "Rules of the Internet" (cringey, from a today's point of view)

and yet they still contain some things that are true to this day

It would be interesting to have a history of ideas, some kind of genealogy of imageboards and trolls

I think it is a rather small field within history even today. tbh it is not so easy to find sources I guess.
>>
No. 3152
92 kB, 554 × 1100
Never has this image felt more appropriate.
>>
No. 3167
>>3152
See that you don't choke on that meme. Ideas have SELF WORTH, paying attention to them only if they came from validated (by OTHERS) people is a magistral self kick in the ass (it means you don't have or don't trust your own judgment).
>>
No. 3198
>>3115
This
>>
No. 4418
The main problem of imageboards in relation to other secret societies is they ended up being completely open to the worst kind of bydlo trash society has to offer while simultaneously offering nothing in the way of networking and personal advancement. They are like the anti-Freemasonry and I mean that in the worst way possible.
>>
No. 5346
Imageboards play the role of a cesspool where the above average intelligence young plebs' minds to get sucked in. Theres too many of them, plus those who think so much outside the standard values system to be into anonymous communication, can harm the system by their creativity and independent thought, so they are better kept on the internet refreshing the imageboards 24/7. The non plebs can't be affected by them because they're brought up properly not to look for answers or communications on ib, and are early engaged in the non pleb serious businesses by their parents.
>>
No. 6539
>>5346
the races most immune to internet (brazilians, gypsies, bydlos) will win

the races most addicted (south koreans, finns, japanese) will go extinct

https://www.economist.com/asia/2018/06/30/south-koreas-fertility-rate-is-the-lowest-in-the-world
>>
No. 6542
9,1 MB, 640 × 360, 2:04
>Are they comparable to the secret societies of old days?

Yes elites are all about sitting around watching pointless clips of cats and having internet arguments about animes and weeb turks while the goyim take over the world
>>
No. 6548
I always thought of imageboards like a shut-in's substitute for going to a pub.
>>
No. 6578
31 kB, 320 × 320
148 kB, 724 × 822
>>6548
That's a good analogy, pub drunks are full of bitterness

"Thanks a lot Obama for destroying mining in america!" while he downs another shot
>>
No. 6601
>>6542
A lot of the secret societies were there just for entertainment. I think the most common activity for many secret societies was marathon drinking.
>>
No. 6690
240 kB, 2362 × 2362
>>3113
No one needs us but we have fun.

What a relief this Ernstchan, good vibes, I hope it keeps this way.
>>
No. 10784
It was actually always my dream to form a successful secret society for making successful people on here but it always failed with KC. Does anybody else remember all the Anon micronation threads? Well I think some of it was hidden at the time, but still. I think I still have loads of files on it from imageboard discussions on how to go about creating an independent country.
>>
No. 10800
>>
No. 10814
>>10784
Does anyone actually want me to dig through my old shit and try to post them?
>>
No. 10852
Joining up with the Freemasons, yes or no?
>>
No. 10853
>>10852
It might be fun if you are under 21 or live in a redneck rural area.
However if you are 30 and joining you are pretty lame, why not join the military reserve you get to play soliders and go pew pew pew while getting paid instead.
>>
No. 10854
>>10853
>joining the military
Because I'm not a dumbfuck who wants to get shot in Iran for Israel. Also FYI that scenario doesn't work because 30 is the cutoff for joining the military. Also you have to be at least 18 to join the Masons.
>>
No. 10860
>>10814
Yeah sure I'd love to see that kind of thing to be honest.

>>6539
Funny, but also sad, due to the fact that it is true. Although it is a seemingly age old issue of living in comfortable times and societies though.
>>
No. 10864
46 kB, 978 × 390
>>10854
Why would I expect anything less than burger posting from someone who asks on an imageboard if joining the Masons is a good idea.
Go take some vitamin D as you obviously do not get enough sunlight, and will join precisely nothing.
>>
No. 10865
37 kB, 752 × 626
>>10864
>Only one year left to join the USMC

I'm not gonna make it, lads. I have no intention of doing so of course but still.
>>
No. 10875
326 kB, 1238 × 2171
>>10860
Fuck hold on I'll try and find it later I can't remember which folder it's in. I am finding some pretty funny and also disturbing shit that I saved over the years.
>>
No. 10876
>>10875
Oh hey look what else I just found in my archives
https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Israeli_Nuclear_Armageddon_www.armagedon.org.il_official_mirror
Or rather, the rars for it, and found that site after binging the site armageddon.org.il

Also go to the /r/books thread (as in /r/ing) if you want me to upload pdfs. Maybe I'll make a screencaps when I get around to it of all the pdfs I have too if I get around to it. I have tons of pdfs on mental manipulation, combat/improvised weapons/militarism, and the occult as well as I think leaked documents from ages ago or something. Plus some screencaps and various archives dating back at least a decade.