/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 36727
161 kB, 640 × 415
170 kB, 1024 × 768
74 kB, 700 × 467
110 kB, 940 × 627
I would like to have a thread to discuss various types of architecture.
There are lots of oddities out there, and many interesting things to talk about.
I think that I will make some stream-of-consciousness posts.

Earl Young was an American architect who, without formal training, developed his own regional style in the midwestern united states.

Earl used nothing but local materials, and his homes look very romantically medieval, but with modern fixtures. They have been called "mushroom homes", or "hobbit homes".
>>
No. 36728
2,3 MB, 1808 × 782
784 kB, 1545 × 1545
499 kB, 1024 × 683
There is a theory among architects that using natural, minimally processed materials like stone and wood evoke a more 'natural' and 'human' feeling, that concrete-and-glass structures lack.
There's also an idea that curves are more naturally human. That right angles and sharp edges aren't pleasing to human sensibilities.

Jordan Peterson has said that Gothic cathedrals are some of the most beautiful structures on earth, because of their lightness and thin division between the inside and outside. I don't have the source on hand.

I think that Brutalism and heavily industrial architecture has it's own sort of beauty. However, I do think that humans need green spaces and don't do well with sterility.

Although covered in concrete and brutalism, Israeli cities are incredibly pedestrian-friendly, dense, and covered in green spaces. There's also grit and wear to reduce from the sterility, but not an uncomfortable amount for the most part. In my opinion, this is actually beautiful- and some of my favorite urban architecture.
>>
No. 36729
1005 kB, 1397 × 993
463 kB, 1920 × 707
206 kB, 1024 × 683
219 kB, 1024 × 680
An ancient trend in architecture, earth homes, have seen a lot of popularity in recent decades.

Earth homes are built into the landscape, as opposed to on top of it.

They actually have a lot of benefits. They're easy to cool and have a sort of built-in yard. They're also very structurally sound.
>>
No. 36730
50 kB, 474 × 310
45 kB, 474 × 316
72 kB, 468 × 600
4,6 MB, 2364 × 2364
>>36729
Here are some more earth homes (1-3)

These have strong modernist themes. You can see some clear inspiration from Frank Lloyd Wright's style. (pic 4)

I like the contrast between natural features and engineered angles in the first pic. Very balanced I think.

I actually don't like the third very much. The scale feels inappropriate.
>>
No. 36733
2,4 MB, 4592 × 2576
101 kB, 590 × 443
103 kB, 720 × 540
105 kB, 640 × 427
Not to be confused with earth homes are earthships.
The movement started with Michael Reynolds, who aimed to build self-sustaining and ecologically-friendly homes.

They're really an engineering wonder.
Earthships are capable of growing food, processing water, providing energy, and they even have climate control.

They can be partially built into the earth, but usually they aren't.

They're usually defined by their organic walls which use tires and glass bottles as support elements- and, arts-and-crafts-esque decorative elements.
>>
No. 36735
>>36730
german bunkers from WW II are much nicer
>>
No. 36737
1,7 MB, 1944 × 2592
54 kB, 770 × 475
402 kB, 1300 × 1079
203 kB, 1280 × 757
>>36728
IMO free East Asia is the only place that does organic modernity really well. Virtually every city was built back up from scratch after WWII and the Korean war, but they all feel cozy and human somehow. Israel feels like it's in an uncanny valley zone between Western shit and Asia.

>Jordan Peterson has said that Gothic cathedrals are some of the most beautiful structures on earth
I always felt like there was just something off about Gothic cathedrals. Maybe you just have to see them in person, because some interior photos have deeply impressed me, but they can't compare to Ottoman mosques or the Hagia Sophia. If you had Byzantine interior decoration inside some of the grander Ottoman mosques, it would essentially be the perfect building. Sadly, the Ottomans were happy to improve upon the external visuals of Byzantine architecture, but they're interiors are just... boring. Calvinist churches are much the same, so I think it's a general problem with iconoclastic religions and an arrested sense of the importance of aesthetics to the religious experience.
>>
No. 36738
292 kB, 1200 × 896
60 kB, 550 × 413
>>36735
You aren't wrong.
A little worse for wear, but I appreciate the composition.

I'm assuming that your post is sarcastic, however? In that case, I understand your anti-modernist/contemporary sentiments.

There is a lot to be desired in structures that disregard the elements of the past. Structures like this belong nowhere, to no one people. They aren't indicative of a single region, unless you understand the real particulars of their design.

It would seem that aesthetically, the west has forgotten art noveau, rococo, beaux-arts, art deco, etc. etc. etc.
In reducing so many decorative elements, modernists also reduced some soul.

Such buildings,they reflect the legacy of engineering and industrialization required to make them. But they don't honor aesthetic traditions or spark a real sense of community.

Modern societies don't incentivize beauty, do they? It's about efficiency and globalism, isn't it?
>>
No. 36739
3,3 MB, 3301 × 2840
3,1 MB, 2574 × 3537
2,4 MB, 4774 × 3302
240 kB, 1129 × 752
However much I hate (the vast majority of) Turks, they had the best architecture in the world. Mediterranean and Persian/Islamic architecture combined into an amazing synthesis. The incidental use of whiter stone over the sandy colored stone more common in Arab countries and Iran suits the Persianate forms better, IMO, while the domes and minarets nicely complement whitewashed walls and red tile roofs. I suppose a lot of it, except the minarets, goes back much further than the Ottomans, but grand mosque architecture and arabesque embellishments add a great deal to the aesthetic legacy of the Balkans.
>>
No. 36740
356 kB, 1920 × 1278
595 kB, 1280 × 960
261 kB, 1000 × 750
224 kB, 1300 × 953
I really love Balkan vernacular architecture. Two are from Bulgaria, one is from a Bektashi Sufi lodge in Macedonia, and one, although labeled Bulgarian on my Google image search, downloaded as "Picture-Spanish-Iniaki", which makes me think it's from the Basque country.

And it could be. There seems to be a lot of accidental(?) similarity in the architecture of the wetter, colder parts of the Mediterranean, although it might just be the combination of extensive use of wood with more general Mediterranean styles. But even in northern Iran you see something kind of similar, which makes me think that there may be some common cultural DNA working both there and in the Balkans (Spanish similarities would just be accidental).
>>
No. 36741
1,4 MB, 1181 × 902
282 kB, 1500 × 980
181 kB, 1394 × 1000
205 kB, 1399 × 1000
>The "New Home" was the largest and most important non-governmental housing construction company in post-war Europe. Over a period of more than thirty years, it planned and implemented more than 400,000 apartments and, since the 1960s, numerous municipal and commercial buildings in Germany. Many important architects of the post-war period worked for New Home and played a decisive role in its concepts and buildings. The scandalous collapse of the New Home at the beginning of the 1980s came as a shock to the West German population and marked the end of an era.
>Against the background of the current housing crisis and discussions about redensification in many large cities, now seems to be the time to subject the New Home to a first and in-depth investigation. The exhibition focuses on the protagonists of New Home, including some 700 architects and urban planners, and their influence on developments in housing and urban planning. Using selected buildings, projects and urban planning concepts, the exhibition documents the history and current significance of New Home through planning materials, photographs, models and documents.

good thread, I just stumbled across this exhibition because I had the book on it in my hands, it's a monster, hundreds of pages thick
>>
No. 36742
153 kB, 900 × 600
94 kB, 530 × 707
212 kB, 960 × 850
277 kB, 1000 × 707
>>36737
>>36739
>>36740
Nice posts. You seem more educated in this stuff than I am.

My problem with Asian urbanism is the absolute over-saturation of advertisements and signage. To a westerner like me, it looks cool when the hangul and hiragana is nothing more than exotic decoration. It's iconic, but it's a little overwhelming.
But in general, I would agree. Japanese urbanism in particular is top-tier.

>arrested sense of the importance of aesthetics to the religious experience.

Yes, I don't find that Protestant churches inspire a sense of the divine. But then, they generally believe that the divine isn't found in things of this world, and that it's useless to pour money into places of worship. Personally, Rococo churches are my favorite religious sites from an aesthetic perspective.

I envy Arabesque for it's ability to pour such great detail and value into such small spaces without using any icons, just combinations of geometry and calligraphy. It feels grandiose and subtle at the same time. The Irish Catholic tradition was able to convey something similar by combining Celtic rope-work motifs into engravings and illustrations- but never to a scale similar to the Muslim world. You see floral motifs across the continent, too. But, again, the Arabs were really masters of that.

I'll need to look more into these vernacular styles. I'm not really educated in them.
>>
No. 36765
1,1 MB, 2848 × 2136
>>
No. 36961
>>36740
Ottoman Empire?
>>
No. 37033
269 kB, 1024 × 768
541 kB, 2808 × 1109
467 kB, 2000 × 1500
1,0 MB, 1800 × 1200
Just struck my mind. About 10 years ago when I first stumbled across the fascinating postwar US history and society (and its "decline"), I also became aware of Neutra. It was a short fad, never bought a photobook as intended.
His boxy widescreen window houses blend quite well into the surrounding nature.
>>
No. 38720
96 kB, 889 × 556
122 kB, 885 × 626
88 kB, 684 × 912
>>36729
>>36730
>>36733
Those are very cool!

I personally fancy this supposedly upcoming mixture of brutalistish block buildings with green elements a lot.
>>
No. 38721
>>
No. 38724
>>38721
I will have a look, thanks!
>>
No. 38735
>>36739
You probably never even met a Türk in real life. neither ever been here.

Problem with our architecture that it has been under reccession since ottoman times. Almost every mosque mimicing hagia sophia is one of the problems. Seljuk and Artuklu architecture is more diverse and better.

>>37033
These are just distburbing the natural view. I don't think they blend in quite well.
>>
No. 44249
418 kB, 726 × 520
534 kB, 726 × 520
618 kB, 726 × 520
897 kB, 2272 × 1704
Let's talk about brutalism and how nice it is and what not to do, and say nice things to these buildings. Except the first one. That is an example of what NOT to do. You really should never incorporate lots of round profiles into brutalist architecture and sadly a lot of places in like Arizona, New Mexico, some places n Utah and Texas and the south/southwest are like that because of the ugly and sin adobe style buildings.
The rest are nice buildings and you should say nice things to them.

https://thestacker.com/stories/3102/50-arresting-brutalist-structures-united-states

Let us also discuss what actually is brutalist architecture because frankly I'm not so sure I could call Dupont station that. There is indeed definitely something mystical about the DC metro however, which idk how would you guys describe it? It just feels like a place where the vampires meet with occultists to make unholy dealswhich is probably a lot closer to reality because it's Washington D.C.the occult energy there feels like black veins in obsidian granite it's hard to describe but you can sense it and it feels stable and old and dark and respectable energy and while the ceiling often feels a bit low is nothing like the NYC metro for example which feels like a rat maze for short rat people. D.C. is a very nice metro, but brutalist? Is it?
>>
No. 44250
618 kB, 726 × 520
543 kB, 726 × 520
534 kB, 726 × 520
613 kB, 726 × 520
Somehow for whatever reason it seems libraries often enough get it right. Idk why, but they just do. Geisel library for example is just a wonderful place to study, and it's as wonderful on the outside as it is mystical on the interior. Certain temples also get it right, including these two however I do think that cathedrals and just Catholic aesthetics in general are pleasing to the soul and project the ideology as it truly is and ought to be, as opposed to this rather imperious looking building, but it still pleases me greatly. Another one that I guess is brutalist is the Exeter library which if you ever go to check it out feels like you're exploring some sort of Hogwarts. I have a real thing for tall ceilings and the sensation of vertical space, which this library in particular captures exceedingly well and, it being basically a training academy for the country's future rich elites and rich elite children, of course has a huge fallout shelter. It is in general one my favorite libraries to have ever explored.
>>
No. 44251
37 kB, 550 × 411
584 kB, 726 × 520
50 kB, 474 × 591
107 kB, 736 × 736
Lastly there are museums and state functionary buildings, which in the latter case are more often a bit shit and underwhelming, and in the former only sometimes match that SCP Foundation feel of technocratic grandeur to a fall lower degree than is deserving and I wish we had more research institutes looking like this.

I think that for whatever reason the Slavs got it right, particularly in their melding of that futurist feel with brutalism.
>>
No. 44252
311 kB, 1280 × 720
45 kB, 1024 × 576
1,5 MB, 1920 × 1080
689 kB, 1000 × 1021
>>36728
>There's also an idea that curves are more naturally human. That right angles and sharp edges aren't pleasing to human sensibilities.
Their theories are flatly wrong and I can assure you that I am a legitimate human that had been certified to be with human DNA, and curvature in buildings displeases me greatly 99% of the time, nor for that matter am I fan of it in most other areas beyond the human female. A computer case for example. I fucking HATE iPhone ishit color schemes and profiles. I hate their forms. Less Sophons and far more Vodyani and United Empire. I like everything extremely dark and with sharp edges aesthetically although in the case of brutalism lots of greys and lighter color tones is fine so long as it's just not bright white.

The natural buildings ITT are fine though, so long as it actually is organic like some sort of hobbit hut, made of trees and half buried in the ground. Meanwhile all these new style of curvature in experimental architecture displeases me greatly and I find brutalism to he extremely soothing.
>>
No. 44259
41 kB, 480 × 360
119 kB, 960 × 556
>>44249
>what actually is brutalist architecture because frankly I'm not so sure I could call Dupont station that.
I think it depends on if those coffers are a part of the actual support structure, or if they were added for ornamentation....ok, did some searching...looking at this first pic, the coffered arch looks like it was built to conceal the rock tunnel. It's not exactly a decoration, but still feels like a design decision to me. It's an attempt to be beautiful, rather then simply being. But on the other hand, the coffers are the building and not simply a veneer-they do support themselves. Hmm...well, it's either brutalism, or at least brutal-esque.
Some great pictures of the construction here:

https://architectofthecapital.org/posts/2016/6/22/metro-under-construction

Hey, it looks like the D.C. designers hated the NYC metro stations, too:
>Harry Weese had a visionary idea for Metro's architecture. His clean and monumental design aimed to be the antithesis of New York's subway, with its graffiti, low ceilings and industrial appearance.

I've been on the NYC system, and rat maze is a good way to describe it.

>>44250
I love that brutalist church in the second pic. The old cathedrals looked like God's embassy on earth, but this is more like a fortress built behind enemy lines. It lacks the inspirational aesthetic, but makes up for it with a statement of raw power.
>>
No. 44260
>>44259
See the thing is I do actually like it's appearance but it is just jot a good outward projection for the representation of God. Or rather, it is most certainly not a great appearance for representing Christ in the way that as you said a Cathedral is like God's embassy towards Earth. That fortress is more like a representative of Man on Tau Ceti or Bernard's star, soaked in the DNA killing radiation of a hostile and foreign land. I just don't like something that represents the sheer brutality and determination of Man for being mixed up in the love of God for His Creation.

I find that the ideologies clash and while it does clash in a sense aesthetically to me as well it does somehow work as an aesthetic.
>>
No. 44271
146 kB, 1080 × 1080
>>44260
>but it is just not a good outward projection for the representation of God.
Full agreement there. Brutalism is awe inspiring, and powerful, but does a poor job of conveying God's personal invitation to man. In analyzing its appeal, I think this sense that something is wrong is part of what I like. The church, like a lot of other brutalism, seems out of place. It's as though it would fit perfectly into a Moebius drawing, and serve congregants whose concept of Jesus has evolved into something strange and terrifying.
This surreal quality can't help but draw my eye. The Geisel library is another great example of this, with those concrete arms seeming to lift the building up off the ground for some alien reason. It's as though it belongs in another landscape entirely. The Grand Central Water Tower in South Africa is another, as its cone structure is so simple, yet bizzare at the same time. It's a quality I can't help but be attracted to.
>>
No. 44276
73 kB, 1200 × 800
>>44252
Nah mate, elegant curves are kino. Superior real world aerospace design coming through.
>>
No. 44278
1,4 MB, 2079 × 1949
53 kB, 750 × 508
123 kB, 800 × 561
725 kB, 2272 × 1704
I like anything that isn't part of the "grey brutalist hellscape" or "rectangle of glass" school of architecture. Mainly art deco/neo art deco, art nouveau, and whatever the fuck Gaudi's archtiecture is classified as.
>>
No. 44423
>>44249
>Let's talk about brutalism and how nice it is
there is a reason why it called brutalism, because it's immensely ugly and brutal. Such things should outright be banned.
>>
No. 44424
>>44423
> ugly
But it's not. Check mate.
>>
No. 44480
>>44423
>Such things should outright be banned.
No
>>
No. 45011
226 kB, 1024 × 682
683 kB, 1280 × 1489
193 kB, 1200 × 900
131 kB, 780 × 520
Some buildings I stumbled upon designed by artist/architect Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser. These demaded further exploration, and as you could guess from his unconventional designs, Hundertwasser was an interesting guy. To start with, he delivered some speeches nude, and a casual image search will return proof of this fact :D. He was philosophically opposed to straight lines, describing them as the new jungle which had entrapped us like prisoners. In place of those lines he favored organic curves and harmony with our natural surroundings. He also believed architecture should be less functional and more creative. In his Mouldiness Manifesto he even desrcribed how residents should posess a "window right":
>The apartment-house tenant must have the freedom to lean out of his window and as far as his arms can reach transform the exterior of his dwelling space. And he must be allowed to take a long brush and as far as his arms can reach paint everything pink, so that from far away, from the street, everyone can see: there lives a man who distinguishes himself from his neighbours, the pent-up livestock!

Obviously that right never caught on, neither did his idea of using composting toilets for interior bathrooms :D. The manifesto is a good read though, simply for it's passion, and embrace of extreme positions:

Mouldiness Manifesto against Rationalism in Architecture
http://www.hundertwasser.at/english/texts/philo_verschimmelungsmanifest.php

A German apartment building hosting as many trees as human occupants
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/waldspirale
>>
No. 45012
57 kB, 494 × 700
>>45011
I have been to the viennese Hundertwasser house as kiddo, back then I chose a postcard of the house in winter (pic related) and it had been in my room for 10-15 years, I wonder where it is. I mean I think I had it at the same spot more or less at least until I moved out .
>>
No. 45024
>>
No. 45040
>>45011
What a visionary. Imagine how amazing modern cities would look if truly creative people like him got to design them
>>
No. 45126
348 kB, 1140 × 760
62 kB, 580 × 385
386 kB, 1000 × 732
>>45011
I often rode passed the Hundertwasser house in Plochingen by train, but this way you can only see the tower. I actually never had to get out there and I never did just to look at the building to be quite honest.

There's also the Hundertwasser-Bahnhof in Uelzen where you have to change if you take the cheap train from Hannover to Hamburg. Walking inside of it feels a bit like being at a techno/goa festival imo.
>>
No. 45132
>>45126
A bit too whimsical for my tastes. Like the first pic looks like a children's village. Do Germans have a thing for kitsch?
>>
No. 45133 Kontra
>>45132
>Do Germans have a thing for kitsch

These are not typical buildings, but Hundertwasser. I mean Germans like kitsch if you consider what the average German equivalent of home depot is selling as decor articles as kitsch and I would say it is. Houses are here are either ugly functional or just pale. You have some exceptions though ofc. Older 19th century houses or some modern stuff can be quite nice, it's about the shapes here more or less.
>>
No. 45135
419 kB, 798 × 1200
109 kB, 550 × 800
66 kB, 411 × 800
86 kB, 768 × 1024
>>45126
>Walking inside of it feels a bit like being at a techno/goa festival imo.
In addition to the mosaic tile designs, I can see his famous uneven floors in the pic. ("an uneven floor is a melody to the feet" t.Hundertwasser). They should have made an artistic ATM for that location. The grey one seems a bit out of place.
It's strange that such a colorful place is used for a common thing like changing trains. Strange, but in a way also right. Art shouldn't be restricted to museum walls. Put it out there, where it can become part of daily life. Look at the Maishima Incineration Plant(Japan). They process garbage, but that doesn't mean the building can't have an incredible Hundertwasser exterior. I read that they built that as part of a failed bid to win the 2008 Olympics. They wanted to make the city more beautiful. They didn't win the right to host the Games, but now they have a garbage dump that's so cool it attracts tourists:

Maishima Incineration Plant - Bulky Waste Items
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzPIElUsFw