/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 37784
109 kB, 768 × 432
61 kB, 500 × 333
63 kB, 700 × 360
74 kB, 680 × 453
Greetings, fellow Ernsts.

I was wondering if any of you is a passionate hiker/trekker whatever (still didn't figure out the actual difference). Anyway, if you love to be out in the nature, this thread is for you. Let's share our experiences, good advice, insights and dreams.

As for me, I am rather inexperienced. I was in the infantry for six years and almost all my long-distance walking experience is related to that. The longest distance I would have walked in a day would have been 65 km (totally screwed afterwards) and the longest time I've spent outside without a roof on top of my head 10 days. I do have some survival training but only the bare minimum skills i.e. finding/filtering water, orientation by compass/map and finding food to survive (stress on survive, not feast).

This summer I am planning to go for a 60 days hike of some 1500 km though. I know it's a long shot but I see it as a challenge I am going to undertake. Somehow, travelling on foot makes me feel human. Therefore any insights of more experienced Ernsts are most appreciated.
>>
No. 37799
I am interested in hiking this summer but I am not sure how many days of hiking actually would suit me the best for the first time.
>>
No. 37800
Don't know if it fits the subject, but I used to participate in mounted treks every summer in and between Tatarstan, Mari El and Chuvashia, it's an amazing experience, I've always loved horses and it was nice to find a company with the animals that are fit to bear me as i am a 2m tall and a pretty heavy man :D

Unfortunately they went out of business in 2015 so I haven't gone ever since.
>>
No. 37813
>>37800
I rideed a horse once in my life with aduly person when I was like 3 years old, not more. You live on Поволжье? Or you go there for a summer?

>>37784
I like to travel across tundra, pine forests - things like that. I like big open spaces, but can't tanke sun and hot weather overall, so steppes and open fields and hills south of karelia is no-go for me, at least during summer.
>>
No. 37836
Done a bit in high school, but these days I am a man of modernity and like rail travel.
>>
No. 37840
>>37813
I live in St. Petersburg, only went there whilst on vacation. Met a lot of interesting people from all over the country, but didn't keep in contact with them.
>>
No. 37843
>>37813
>across tundra, pine forests
I've travelled Russia a couple of times now myself, unfortunately only Moscow, St. Petersburg and the surrounding regions but I'd actually love to see more of the country. The vast space it has to offer is very intriguing. Unfortunately, in order to apply for visa, I would have to tell the authorities beforehand where exactly I'm going to stay which makes it difficult to just spontaneously roam around.
>>
No. 37844
Sounds a bit extreme 5-7 days would be my theoretical max.
We do have bicycles you know.
I enjoy walking for leisure not for commuting.
Long walks, night walks, trails, hiking.
Common sense to not hike at night, alone.
I suppose once you have done something a hundred times it feels all the same.
Would it not be better to choose a small mountain or peak and climb/walk up it on a weekend.
Although the idea of having a warm fire and cooking some processed meat from a can, sounds ideal, it really does, you can do that much closer to home.
February would not be the ideal time for me.
Start small maybe a week, visit a few small towns.
A 60 day hike even in summer, yikes.
There is a trail, some people run it, from the east coast of america all the way from the southern tip to the northern point, I forget the name, but you could google it and there some forums where you can get some idea of what to pack, expect, not that every one does the whole distance.
Good luck, start small, walk before you can run.
>>
No. 37889
390 kB, 960 × 1280
582 kB, 960 × 1280
454 kB, 1280 × 960
>This summer I am planning to go for a 60 days hike of some 1500 km though.
That sounds damn impressive, good luck with that!

I mostly went camping, but also some hiking with a boy scout group in my teens.
Last year I went on a few day-long hikes and planned a week long one with some friends, but we had to abort after 5 days or so since some of us got poisoned by drinking river water. We were drinking spring water all the time up in the mountains but on that day we descended to a section of the trail that was pretty low (and therefore also way too full of weekend hikers) but still assumed the water would be fine which turned out to be a grave mistake.
So watching out for clean water is probably the only tip I got, besides the obvious to pack as light as possible. Another thing that's maybe not that relevant for most people, but personally I easily get constipation from the sort of dry food one tends to eat when out and about, so I'd recommend to eat fruits, fibers, drink coffee etc. It's kind of silly but it can cause some unnecessary discomfort.
>>
No. 37919
1,4 MB, 3264 × 1836
4,4 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,2 MB, 3264 × 1836
5,3 MB, 8592 × 1680
>>37840
Where you also been in country? I don't even was that far from home, like on Ural and beyond. Mostly travelled in north-west federal district and parts of central, like Tver', Yaroslavl', been near Moscow. Obviously was in Saint petersburg, maybe will be this year also.

>>37843
Yea, a lot of places there that really worth visiting is nature places, not man created. If you ever have ability - I recommend you to travel to Kola Peninsula. There a lot of places for nature tourist to visit, like Petroglyphs of Seydozero, Khibin moutians, different Tundras and forests, most easy acces to North Ocean shore where you can drive by car also.

Here some of mine random photos made on my phone from different places. You can find far more beutifull now by professional photographers in internet.
>>
No. 37950
>>37919
>Where you also been in country?
I'm not much of a traveller myself, I've been to Moscow several times, mostly for work, Novgorod, Pskov, Karelia, Vladimir, Yaroslavl, Krasnodar. Flown to Khabarovsk twice, also for work in Sovetskaya Gavan.

I assume you're from Karelia, right? It's got beautiful scenery but it's hard to get around with a car, the roads aren't very good there.
>>
No. 37951
>>37950
No, I'm from Murmansk city itself, but been in Karelia many times. Main roads in Karelia (М18 which now Р21 and one from Медвежьегорск to Вологда.. A119 if I'm correct) is more than good in times unless they are in constrcution or repair. At least one part of Р21 is on repair since like 1997 every summer lol. Rest is I assume total crap and infinitie forests lol.
>>
No. 37954
>>37951
>Murmansk
Ah, I see. Is that an interesting place to visit? I've never been there, but I know a couple of people from Severomorsk.
>>
No. 37967
>>37919
Those are beautiful photos, thank you for sharing. The second picture looks like Iceland, were is it from?
>>
No. 37970
1,3 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,2 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,8 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,1 MB, 3264 × 1836
>>37954
You can't get into Severomorsk without inventation, same as in many cities on northen parts of region, they all ЗАТО. But well, there a couple places to visit - like first Atomic Icebreaker that was turned into musem. But most worth places is Nature-related, I'd say, so better visit it on car so you can go around region - we have more roads than Karelia do lol. However there is oficial trips from city to Husky park, for example. And Ostrich farms not far from city if you wanna wisit those ones.

>>37967
First and third pik around Teriberka, coast of Ocean. Second and last one from around here https://www.google.ru/maps/@69.391265,32.0796173,3a,75y,335.56h,81.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDvPRw_e9ku18ePqOtebiHw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDvPRw_e9ku18ePqOtebiHw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D306.9913%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=ru&authuser=0 - far from road obviously.
>>
No. 37971
3,2 MB, 3264 × 1836
1,5 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,7 MB, 3264 × 1836
2,8 MB, 3264 × 1836
>>37967
Also thank you. In my region you can find Alaska, Iceland, Scotland, Canada and northen US lol. Sad that I can't find my other folder with many photos. We usualy go in such places for family muchroom picking. Drive on car here and then whole day on foot deep into tundra in search for them. Place on map I showed is very mushroom heavy. Also here for example we found egg of some bird. Already empty, but still.
>>
No. 37992
>>37971
Wow, thank you for the pictures. I think I'll go on a trip there once I've got a paying job. Maybe start in Oulu, from there to Murmansk and then try to travel by bike from Murmansk back to Finland towards Rovaniemi. Has to be in summer though...
>>
No. 38004
128 kB, 1024 × 576
255 kB, 900 × 600
148 kB, 600 × 564
234 kB, 1300 × 953
>>37992
If by bike you mean bicycle I can kind of advice against it since there was cases of crashes with bicycle foreign tourists in my region. Mostly from not very smart ones from japan and korea who decided to go in time of polar night if I remember correctly but still - old soviet roads across rocky hills is far from facy autoban and contain a lot ups and downs, dangerous turns. Road to Rovaniemmi espessialy from Kola following Tuloma river up to western side of Murmashi I can note as pretty dangerous one and there even currently some big constructions happening for some years with destruction of big parts of rocks so it is dangerous mess.
If you want it like motocycle, then well it's okay, Finnish bikers with scary fat faces I seen was pretty happy about that :---DDDD
I also should point out that distances here is not mongolia-syberia tier, but huge between cities and locations, not even in Murmansk region, but in central-northen karelia you may find yourself in middle of forest in hundred of kilomiters without gas station or town on main road. Same goes for road from finland thought like Alakurtti it's most probably crap. And if you follow road to rovaniemi back - there will be no tundra, it's just your typical Finnish pine forest. I can kind of advise to go from Rovaniemi to murmansk and then from murmans to Kirkines, Norway. Maybe with visit of Teriberka - there all your cool tundras, waterfalls, etc.
It's on norvegian road also where diferent alleys and war memorials, with some remained german bunkers somewhere if you interested in all this stuff.
Thought, moutians and parks with Saami, reindeers, huskeys is in central part of peninsula but it's better go to city and go for tourist agency there for a tour here than go by 70km from main road to lovozero in town itself and found out that it's shitty post-soviet dying city lol.