/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 40505
395 kB, 1200 × 1536
Post your artwork, discuss, give critique in this thread.

Useful books and resources:
https://mega.nz/#F!vp5hQCbQ!oCNGOUgaVeK1pHs3qasJDQ!uwJTnKiY

Anatomy and construction:
Michael Hampton - Figure Drawing - Design and Invention
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=8993727FB63B9349CA089098ADEC9281
Painting:
Richard Schmidt - Alla Prima; Everything I Know About Painting
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=51C45D10C094E67A426FE83C29F9E879
Perspective:
Joseph D'Amelio - Perspective Drawing Handbook
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=D78225B034921F940DCA7EB75FA22EFD
>>
No. 40506 Kontra
336 kB, 1062 × 1500
>>40505
OP pic could use more polish, but I underestimated the amount of work yet again, and it seemed rude to leave the old thread systemkontra'd on the second page any longer.

Also, while making this I kept thinking about how when you replace the characters with an anime girl and a furry creature, the composition of "American Gothic" becomes weirdly similar to the cover art of "My Neighbor Totoro" :-D

maybe next thread
>>
No. 40509
Are the visible brushstrokes a feature of the format, or a stylistic choice? They're something I've always liked in your paintings. They give it movement.
>>
No. 40512
672 kB, 1200 × 960
161 kB, 1000 × 1133
217 kB, 1500 × 1500
415 kB, 1560 × 800
>>40505
I think you should have posted a link to our previous thread

Here's my first colored painting + my values study of a woman. I think the 2nd one ended up being a giant turd but it's not that bad given my experience.

Right now I am working on a really huge challenge inside of the art community where people try to draw each day, I am supposed to draw a storyboard for a music video (something along the lines of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z7YWIshHtE ), I drew panels for the first 0:40 sec out of the required 5:30, I will drop it by the end of the challenge, 1st June. I would like to show you some of the sketches for that video but it will spoil the fun, so I can drop you only my gestures
>>
No. 40515
>>40332
It's actually much easer in mine oinion. Ye, you need to get used for tablet, but overall you has infinity numper of layers, options to eraise anything anytime you want or get back your action, you has no any problem with materials like paper, and everything can be done just using PC and tablet without any other instruments in any place you want.

>>40505
Thank you for creating new thread and art!

>>40512
Wow you actually awesome. You actually studing unlike me who just casual pretender.
>>
No. 40543
>>40512
Wow impressive work. Second pic reminds me of a Sri Lankan woman I know.
>>
No. 40611
312 kB, 1200 × 900
>>40505
>ernstchan gothic.jpg
I don't post much on /int/, but I love this drawing!
Can I have it without the text, please?
>>
No. 40623
8,4 MB, 2266 × 2900
199 kB, 1280 × 854
180 kB, 678 × 1600
>>40611
Sure, I'll even give you the full uncompressed version. What's 8 megs between friends, right. It sort of looks bad at full res, because I sorta count on the downsampling to smooth out some of the wrinkly stuff you can see on full res, but I suppose you can resize it yourself if you want.

>>40509
Sort of intentional, in that I don't consciously think about them, but they are a consequence of a workflow where I try to convey as much information with as few brush strokes as I can, and only polish stuff where I feel it is necessary. I think that sort of "stating as much as is needed to convey an idea but not more" is important to create a strong impression, so I try to aim for that if possible. It's sort of like a signal to noise ratio thing. Transmitting maximum information with minimum data. Which means that if I don't polish parts of an image where it is not strictly necessary, the brushstrokes are left in, creating visual interest.
To be honest, on this particular image, I violated this principle in quite a few places by destroying brush strokes that could have been preserved, or, on the contrary, not conveying enough information and leaving parts of the image too ambiguous. But in cases where I have to portray something specific, like certain characters in a certain environment, I don't have enough skill to hit that perfect point of "just enough brushstrokes, and no a single more". So I inevitably fall back on polishing stuff until it looks like it needs to be, which destroys the brush strokes.
In my mind, I want my painting to look something like a Leyendecker piece (not in the exact style, but in principle). He would rehearse his brush strokes to create paintings that were almost mosaics of brush strokes, where in addition to the "literal content" of the painting itself, the brushstrokes themselves were also arranged in a composition. But I ain't no Leyendecker, so it doesn't really turn out that way. Neither am I Miyamoto Musashi, who applied his philosophy to ink paintings, using the fewest number of brush strokes to depict exactly what is needed. Notice how he describes the texture, gesture and shape of a tree branch in a single brush stroke, because he knew exactly how his brush behaved. Now that's mastery.
To me, beauty, or at least the "effectiveness" of a work is strongly related to this principle of maximizing the amount of information for the amount of data that carries it. It's what makes you viscerally experience a work, rather than simply "reading" it. It's the closest thing a piece of art can be to the "platonic solid" of itself. That doesn't necessarily mean every painting has to be minimalist to be beautiful, rather that every individual element of a painting, down to its smallest "unit" of expression, has to carry some kind of compositional meaning. It gets exponentially more difficult to balance those elements the more complex a piece is, but the effect and sense of awe you experience when seeing it also gets stronger.

>>40415
>That sounds like your process puts you in the zone (as Betty Edwards puts it) and the switching of context towards digital helper tools might make you snap out of it and thus reduce your productivity. Here productivity can well be a result of motivation and fun.
That is certainly the case, the context switch from painting to fiddling with the interface breaks my flow. But I also do get into the zone while doing pure image manipulation stuff, so I think it's possible to develop a combined workflow that keeps me in the zone.
But for me, the more important reason for not liking image manipulation is that doing it sort of destroys the "temporal history" of the artist's brushstrokes and marks, making the image less interesting (in addition to polishing stuff too much, like I mentioned in my reply to Romania ball). Brush strokes can be thought of a language unto themselves, or another dimension of expression. It's a way to communicate not only the ideas of the painting itself, but the artist's intent, thought process, and how the image came to be in time. When you do image manipulation, you treat the painting as a mere 2D surface, where each individual shape is disjointed and interchangeable, and destroy this information about how each shape relates to others, and how the image came to be. It's sort of like looking at a timelapse of a painting, all condensed in a single moment, and that is a very potent effect. It's also part of the reason, in my opinion, that paintings don't look as impressive on a digital screen as they do in real life, unless you have a very high resolution photo, on a large display or something.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-Portrait_-_Google_Art_Project_%28454045%29.jpg
Like this Van Gogh painting, for example. I enjoy looking at it zoomed in way more than I do seeing the whole painting at once. I imagine it would be even more enjoyable to look at if I had the opportunity to see it IRL.
Of course, you couldn't achieve something like this through image manipulation, distorting, warping, cutting and pasting, etc., as it would destroy the brush strokes.
>>
No. 40637
>>40623
Man, art theory always blows my mind. I see neat texturing using bristles, but to the trained eye there is a huge amount of depth and theory to it. Thanks for the insights.
>>
No. 40639
>>40637
Well, funny thing is that most of the time this stuff happens sub-consciously and during the process, a lot times the artist isn't thinking about any of this, but simply going with the flow. It can be the case than an artist is producing intricate pieces that theorists write lengthy essays about, but the most that's going through the artist's mind while actually painting is "haha brushtroke go brrr". There's a stereotype about artists being pretty dumb even if talented. At least visual artists and musical performers. In my case, maybe such autistic analysis is even detrimental, in that thinking about it too much is paralyzing.

There's an idea that art largely "makes itself", in that there is a fundamental "most beautiful state" a particular piece can be, which is decided by the laws of the Universe, or universal "truth", or platonic ideals, or something like that. And the artist is discovering the beauty rather than inventing it, in the same way a mathematician discovers truths rather than "invents" them. Art could be a way for the Universe to express some kind of Truth, and the artist is simply a conduit through which it does so. And mastery is the skill of letting it speak through you most clearly and with fewest obstacles.

An example that is on the more physical level. When you train your hand to do accurate strokes and lines, you are trying to eliminate the conscious control and awareness of your hand, so that you never have to think about your hand, because when you start consciously thinking about your hand, you're making inaccurate marks. You're trying to eliminate your hand from the equation so that it's a non-factor. You're trying to get everything out of the way in the path between your mind and the canvas, so that the art can travel through without obstacles or "signal degradation". Same with tools. The best tools are the ones that you never think about. And same probably applies in some way on the more abstract level, where the path "art" takes is from the Universe into your mind. In this framework, mastery of art could be thought of as a process of self-negation. You are trying to rearrange your body and mind in such a way that they become vacant "vessels" or "conduits" for the art to manifest through. It's probably no coincidence that being "in the zone" or in "flow state" is a lot like a meditative, thought-free state where it feels like your body is simply performing actions in an automatic way as if hypnotized. Maybe it is what people in the olden times thought of as spiritual/demonic possession, or being blessed by a muse. But there is this common understanding of the artist not being in control while performing, and of something else guiding them.

Anyway, I'm sleep deprived and this probably comes off as a load of incoherent horseshit, but I hope you get what I mean.
>>
No. 40640
>>40639
I get you. Probably not as vividly as you get it in your mind, but that's more to do with the fact that you know art while I had (and slept through) compulsory art class for a year in high school :-DDD
>>
No. 40641
129 kB, 1280 × 960
>>40623
Thank you, stay safe!
>>
No. 40652
>>40623
What you said about the temporal history of an artist's brushstrokes reminded me of something a teacher once said about Jackson Pollock. Pollock created his signature art by standing over the canvas, and moving wildly while guiding paint with a stick. Those paintings, as the teacher explained, were not art. The art was actually the frantic motion of Pollock himself- his dance, if you will. The paintings were simply a physical record of that creative act. The dripping colors captured those moments, and recorded them on a canvas. When you see one, you're seeing a brief fragment of Pollock's life, frozen in time.
Now it's possible that this was just an attempt to impose philosophical depth where none existed, but it was this interpretation that allowed me to see Pollock's work in a new light. I don't care for most abstract art, and prior to that class had actively disliked Pollack's work in particular. But that's not the case anymore. It also helped that later on I was able to see one of Pollock's paintings in person. He's still not on my list of favorite artists, as his work lacks the technique that I admire in figurative art, but with their immense scale and visible depth, they're impressive in a way that photographs can't convey.

Also, great work on the OP. You've created my new favorite Ernstwurf.
>>
No. 40663
251 kB, 800 × 1050
Proceed to the nearest rape center to let comrade Bukharin explain you how exploitation of the proletariat happens.
I am incredibly happy with the result, I am leapfrogging my progresss in painting and growing stronger every day
>>
No. 40704
134 kB, 800 × 597
124 kB, 800 × 577
>>
No. 40718
51 kB, 400 × 400
>>40704
Nice work.
>>
No. 40745
1,8 MB, 400 × 214, 0:04
>>40623
>>40704
>>40718
Gorgeous! Always impressed with the amount of skill that is present here.
>>
No. 40754
4 kB, 233 × 157
1 kB, 136 × 87
4 kB, 248 × 247
11 kB, 206 × 247
>>40704
>>40718
Cool and cute
>>
No. 41023
812 kB, 1400 × 1540
434 kB, 1080 × 1440
148 kB, 1050 × 1400
1,3 MB, 3000 × 4200
So, I was reading my Twitter and suddenly I see a video where Trump proposes his supporters to drink bleach to save themselves from Corona. Made a quick sketch on this topic + made some progress during the previous weeks
>>
No. 41026
508 kB, 665 × 1017
4,7 MB, 430 × 215, 0:08
>>41023
>1st pic
Reading this headline has never made laugh the exact same way as in this gif. That is exactly what my slowly building reaction was just trying to comprehend what I was seeing.
>Lysol, EPA warn against injecting cleaning products after Trump’s remarks

>are you not entertained?! Are you not entertained?!?!
>>
No. 41042
94 kB, 1371 × 320
>>41023
I'm terribly sorry, but is that you?
>>
No. 41044
>>41042
Question, what is the difference between dvach, sosach, and 2ch? Why does everybody shit on that site? It looks like it has real promise. I'm tempted to try to learn Russian there but I have a feeling that if that was the site to teach me Russian fluency every single Slav would immediately think I'm retarded the minute I open my mouth. Still, I think it could work.
>>
No. 41046
>>41044
>Question, what is the difference between dvach, sosach, and 2ch?
Original 2ch died, then it was re-established by different people and changed domen name multiple times. sosach because 2ch.so was one of it's primary domens after tirech.

>Why does everybody shit on that site?
There is decent thematics there and there. /b and /po and other fast popular places obviosly be same as on every fast imageboard, thought I'd say it was always better than most of 4chan in my personal opinion, and defenetly better than kohlchan or something like that. Never visited /int or shit like /news and never wanted to.
>>
No. 41048
>>41046
Their /int/ doesn't look too bad although it seems slow as shit and is afflicted by der ewige kanadian posting.
>>
No. 41050
>>41048
Well I can advice.. I don't know, /spc - space and austronomy. /sf - science fiction. Maybe /sci - science and /hi - history be interesting a bit for you, thought I honestely rarely visit all this nowdays.
>>
No. 41054
531 kB, 1200 × 1560
>>41042
Yes, I created a provocative thread on purpose although I stopped posting on /po/ years ago. I have 0 followers on online galleries, so I had to come up with some way to increase the spread of my works (even if the people won't subscribe to me) given that I have zero influence on social media. I am planning on drawing for a fandom in the future because quality of your work doesn't really matter when you are a noname that draws his original content and thus attracts no followers, I am talking about advertisement with that American artist https://twitter.com/chompwell
https://chompwell.artstation.com/
He is incredibly skilled, period, and many can only dream of his level, he is also obscure, because he put much less effort into spread of his fame than polishing his skills. There are artists with even worse skills than me who, nonethless, are well known and rich by Eastern European standards

Here's my new sketch, some people on a Ukrainian imageboard requested me to draw them a dickgirl, so I drew two out of my head. It's hard to draw without references, of course. If somebody else really (I have limited time and desire to draw) wants a rough sketch, I can do it for free

>>41044
I believe that 2ch is much better than 4chan, especially when it comes to small subboards. /diy/ was my favorite board for quite a while because this is the only place on all imageboards where you can find an assembly of collectors of coins that actually know shit and have interesting examples. I am myself an owner of rare complect of WW2 medals + badges, I am curious about collecting of orders and medals but I spent my free time on /diy/ when I was younger and liked coins more. 2ch's /hi/ is much better than 4chan's /his/ as well, it's could be unusual for a foreigner but Ukrainians and their history are treated better on a Russian board than on English /his/. Plus Russian posters there are not afraid of typing longposts, while it's incredibly hard to meet people who put some actual effort on 4chan in general.
>Slav would immediately think I'm retarded the minute I open my mouth
Every Slav will think so no matter what you read, it's because Russian is hard to master and many foreigners just don't bother learning all the cases. McFaul, former American ambassador to Russia, spent years living in Russia and studying it even before he became an official, he teaches kids in Stanford but he speaks very wonky and no one shames him because Russian is not popular, Russians are happy that a guy from prestigious country actually put some effort learning their language. You are an exotic good to them.
>>
No. 41058
143 kB, 940 × 522
381 kB, 1462 × 1235
514 kB, 680 × 748
>>41044
>I'm tempted to try to learn Russian
For what purpose? Learn a useful language like Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc.
Russian will take too long for any possible use you get out of it to be worth learning.
>>
No. 41067
502 kB, 1836 × 3264
62 kB, 479 × 960
144 kB, 1135 × 988
1,6 MB, 885 × 5126
>>41058
> French, Portuguese
>useful
What in the absoltue fucking shit, how the hell are either of these languages supposed to be useful? At least Spanish is spoken by a lot of people. What the fuck am I supposed to do, go to Haiti? Insult Igor in his native tongue? Become a Brazilian businessman? Those languages are almost as useless as Dutch and Danish.
>>
No. 41077
>>41067
French is pretty widely spoken too. It's not a Spanish tier behemoth but it's no slouch. 65 million speakers in France, plus a considerable amount of speakers in their former empire and tbh, France is a pretty major economy so it wouldn't be a total bust.
>>
No. 41081
>>41077
Meh the number of Russians alone is close to double that and when you count their belter colonies and the fact it can be a bridge language it's still more useful.

>>41058
Also I never actually gave a reason and just realized I probably came across as rude due to my general overuse of foul language. To answer, it is because unlike all those cultures Russia is one of the only countries that has produced large volumes of literature and other art I would be interested in reading in its language (the other being German but I'm not particularly interested in learning the language itself) plus on top of that unlike any of those other countries me being a Russian language speaker could be a legitimately useful skill to have. Like most people that speak those other languages like say a French Pharmaceutical rep are probably going to be at least somewhat conversant in English, and none of them are rivals, not to mention we have extradition treaties with all of them. So if I learn Russian I can actually more easily get things like a government job doing something I'd actually be good at or give a shit about, it would be genuinely useful for dealing with the Russians in a business sphere "a Russian may be many things but a fluent English speaker isn't one of them" or however the saying goes, I actually find things admirable about Russia and happen to respect their country in a way I really dont with just about every other country sorry but no offense it's hard for me to actually respect Spain, Mexico, Germany, or maybe even France in a way that I do with the Russians and unlike the Chinese they aren't just a rival filled with everything awful I dislike but one that was worthy of our respect for those 50 years, not a bunch of bat munching cheats, thieves and liars devoid of empathy or any higher principles and yeah I just happen to have a very mild case of Slavbooism that I'm certain can only be cured by actually living there at some point. The fact I could even in theory have the additional latitude of having another large power to flee to in case I manage to piss one of them off enough is also a nice bonus on top. Of course, I have little interest remaining in this country for long and plan to be able to flee it the moment opportunity arises to do so. The main drawback to this is I'm pretty sure I'm destined to piss off the Russian government and her bydlo way faster and harder than my own.
>>
No. 41082
>>41081
Russian is useful in one area though, while French is more widely distributed. If you account for French as a second language, you also go much higher. In fact, French is the 5th most commonly spoken language in the world if you include second language speakers, while Russian is 8th. That doesn't just include people learning it for fun too, but places like Vietnam where it's a fairly common second language for the professional sectors, and in parts of Africa.
>>
No. 41094
>>41067
As a person who is learning Russian, I am afraid that it'll come as bad news once you realize how useless knowing Russian is. Spanish And my own Spanish dialect are more widely spoken and more relevant languages if you want to learn a language for the sake of increasing your professional skills or just gaining the ability to speak to more people.

If you carry this mentality that learning Russian will do you any good, I can only assume you'll drop it soon. With the same effort, you could learn French AND Spanish and be far better off.

Learning Russian is a pointless endeavor filled with suffering that has no reason to be undertaken unless you actually are a slavboo.
>>
No. 41095
>>41081
>Russia is one of the only countries that has produced large volumes of literature and other art I would be interested in reading in its language
It would take way too long for you to reach that level. What media would you consume in the meantime? Some other hard languages like Japanese has media that is often used by beginners to learn. What beginner/intermediate level Russian media interests you? The shows that they specifically make for language learners are always incredibly boring. For example, I use Gothic to help me learn German.

>I just happen to have a very mild case of Slavbooism
>very mild

>I have little interest remaining in this country for long and plan to be able to flee it the moment opportunity arises to do so.
I'm sure that one of our Russian friends here would very happily switch places with you in a heart beat.

Are you ethnically Russian? If not, then I wouldn't bother learning Russian.
I'm certain that we've had a vaguely similar conversation like this in the past.
>>
No. 41099
120 kB, 500 × 511
>>41094
>Learning Russian is a pointless endeavor filled with suffering that has no reason to be undertaken
Surely then my method will allow me to become the perfect deep cover agent of the State Department or CIA :--DDD

How else can I suffer pointlessly to lernu2S-O-U-L :----DDDDD

>>41095
I don't think we've discussed this before(?) but probably even just seeing something like. STALKER. Or maybe starting with Russian children's shows. The gravest difficulty in learning a new language however would be steeping myself in it. I never learned Spanish at all even taking it for years because we just had the one class and also learning a new language in the 8th grade or whatever is a terrible time to start speaking languages. I chose this because it was easy and out of the available languages to study it seemed the most plausible useful. It is not, it was not. I would moreover like to point out that in a language like Spanish I have zero interest in actually engaging people who speak in natively or in consuming their media.

Meanwhile thanks to /int/ I have spent a lot of time being exposed to it and finding reasons to bother speaking it, both professionally and leisurely. Even to this day I find myself encountering it and its speakers wherever I go online.

Out of any language I could consider learning it has proven itself the most plausibly useful. The other languages are all ultimately hobby languages like Hebrew or Latin, whose utility is debatable at best.
>scientific or legal theory
Yeah and I don't actually have to properly conjugate verbs and understand Latin grammar to know that.
>>
No. 41101
Eeeh. Thread go very off-topic. I think it's my fault to degree

>>41054
I don't really think about advertising or fame. I never hope to become popular or even to degree skilled to actually start account or something serious and quality like artstation. So I mostly dumping some my stuff on furaffinity just because.
>>
No. 41254
331 kB, 725 × 806
Back on topic, kind of
>>
No. 41255
>>41254
Dhads a benis :-D
>>
No. 41328
9 kB, 303 × 319
5 kB, 404 × 248
2 kB, 127 × 119
3 kB, 254 × 166
It's been a while since I've come to this board last. It's easy to get lost in altchans
>>
No. 41830
It's not the same without Stein.
>>
No. 41845
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have experience with or learning-resources for technical drawings as preparatory step to creating artworks of machines of any kind.
For example if I want to draw some sort of sci-fi motor cycle as one of the foreground elements and I first want to develop an understanding of the object instead of just drawing away intuitively. Or I want to create a 3D model of a small space ship or other futuristic vehicle. Starting without any plan will result in non-sensical design at best, most likely the thing will never be completed because at every step I run into the problem of not knowing how such an object is supposed to look or function.

Now, the general solution is to simply know the things you want to draw/model. Drawing humans you are well advised to study figures and anatomy. But with creatures or machines that you invent for your art you can't know the thing, obviously. I figure that technical drawings as used by engineers, but also plans used by architects should be a great help to develop an idea of your object before you start drawing/modeling.

What's your take on this?
>>
No. 41860
>>41845
I have just the right helping of autism for you. I recommend Scott Robertson's How to Draw ( http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=D8DD0D108D3A01969009EA39FF0DCC50 ) if you want to learn something that is similar to technical drawing, but more geared towards illustration than engineering. It goes through the fundamentals of construction, perspective, etc. It feels very tedious drawing construction grids to rotate something in 3D, when normally you would instead construct the general shape out of primitives and eyeball the finer proportions, but the point of these exercises is to teach you to think in construction, and generate a mental model. It's sort of like copying gypsum casts 1:1 when you just start drawing, it's a grind meant to build neural pathways in your brain.
Another good book is Peter Han's drawing handbook ( http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=FCDC6C06C90CE5EBF9660636FC91271E http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=1CFCB3DBBF1F518F8B656C177DCF15D0 ). It's much more terse and teaches a simpler (it's less of a book and more a sketchbook full of examples and diagrams), more general approach to drawing things (not just tech), and is good for sketching and studying objects in terms of their proportions, gestures, shape language, etc.

Now, that's to answer your direct question of "how do do technical-like drawings". But from your post it seems like what you really want is to be able to design things. Design is a lot more abstract, in that it's similar to composition in art. The actual representation of the subject is irrelevant, what you want is to use shapes, lines, colors, silhouettes, proportions, etc. as a "language" to express certain "feels" themes, and ideas. Although there's lots of books on the philosophy of art and composition, that deal with the subject of visual art in these fundamental terms, and many on graphics design, I don't know whether there's something similar for the broad subject of "product design", mostly because I don't live in that world. The few resources I've seen seem to take a heuristic approach, rather than, uh, academic(?). By heuristic I mean something like "what do these designs mean culturally, what were they inspired from, what functional constraints are there that inform this design". It's still helpful, though, so here's a video where a concept artist goes through a process of breaking down and making variations on some existing designs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrPpraXkBY . His entire channel is a pretty good resource on practical concept design.

What I've posted, of course, is a subset of the whole discipline of "design" as applied to video games. There's a whole world out there, of real world product design, automotive design, architecture, etc., so if you were looking for something more concrete, research in those areas might be more useful to you, but I don't know much about these, so I can't help.
>>
No. 41873
>>41860
Thanks. Man, downloading larger stuff from libgen has that cozy 2000s feel of waiting for a download to finnish. Haven't had that in a long time.

While waiting for the books I've started with the video and the guy immediately talks about the very thing I did: Jumping from general idea to sketching and experimenting. And again with what he sais about "play pretend" hits right home. So yeah, I was planning to work on something else when I woke up but this has given me confidence just now and I'll change my plans for today.
>>
No. 41874 Kontra
217 kB, 1152 × 864
5 kB, 300 × 200
34 kB, 640 × 480
890 kB, 1800 × 859
>>41873
Heh, so this episode is about the ship design in Cowboy Bebop and the original Star Wars... the thing I was trying to do yesterday was come up with a ship design that has the feel of a construction tool: As simple as possible while fulfilling a specific function and built to last. You know, the difference between some cheap drill from the retailer (fancy package, polished surface, buzzwords and features) and the drill you see someone use at a construction site (dirty, uncomfortably heavy, ugly from a "design perspective" but you immediately know that this thing will not break).
And the two things I thought of were
1) The weapons in the original Unreal Tournament
2) The ships in Cowboy Bebop

For illustrative purpose see the original design of two weapons from UT compared to modern iterations from later games. The old one is what I'm going for.
>>
No. 42007
80 kB, 1300 × 375
Experimenting with a very loose, minimalist style. It goes against all of my instincts-that is, to use lines and draw a lot of details. Still, this approach conveys the necessary visual elements well enough.
>>
No. 43274
131 kB, 1280 × 719
Most of my recent drawing time has been spent working on something for the zine, but I decided to have some fun playing with one of those images. I layered a few gradients over this, and used a the 'brightness' blending effect to try and simulate the light from a screen. I have one layer over his snout, another layer over his glasses, and then a third layer over the background to create a shadow. Oh, I had the character and background on different layers so the light on Ernstwurf's face doesn't spill over onto the bookshelf, and vice versa.
>>
No. 43283
>>43274
This image is really nice, there's something captivating about it. I think that if you cleaned it up a little more and added a bit more shading it'd be my favorite Ernst image.
>>
No. 43284
>>43283
I can second that, the image really has an attractive quality.
>>
No. 43285
>>43283
>>43284
Thanks.
I think I can clean up the lines a bit; and you're right, a little more shading would be a good idea, too. Not too much more, or I'll lose the "washed out" lighting effect. Adding deeper shadows under the glasses and cap, and maybe the chin, should do the trick. Areas where the screen glow wouldn't hit as sharply. We'll see how it goes; whenever I try to make small adjustments I tend to go crazy and overdo it :D.
>>
No. 43289
>>43274
Your pic is awesome. You know, people with talent and feel often even without super-duper ultra skill makes pics that really atttracts for some reason. Sadly, I lacking this ability and talent.
>>
No. 43333
>>43289
Thank you, I appreciate that.

>people with talent and feel often even without super-duper ultra skill makes pics that really atttracts for some reason.
I was listening to a podcast yesterday (I think it was "Comics Are Great", but it may have been "Make It Then Tell Everybody". I listened to a few of them and the information sort of runs together in my brain :D), and the guest actually talked about something similar. He said that to be successful at cartooning, you had to be a good artist, but also a little NOT good. He meant that you had to know when to leave details out of your drawings, and when to include them. You have to know when to show-off and draw something perfectly, and when to leave a lot of empty space to create just the right feeling on a page. Sometimes a few properly placed lines can convey information to a reader more effectivly than a fully rendered image. I guess the hard part is knowing what lines those are :D.
I've always thought that to be a good cartoonist a person has be able to draw a lot better than what shows up in their work. To that end, I try to practice realistic drawing-anatomy, buildings, etc- as a way to improve my very simple cartooning style.
>>
No. 43431
529 kB, 975 × 1050
848 kB, 1500 × 900
929 kB, 1000 × 875
660 kB, 800 × 1100
I wanted to paint the 1st one but only made suicide look like a real possibility. I also discovered that the most viral political event of 2020 brings you 0 followers on Twitter, DA and Tumblr if you draw on it, so I guess I am gonna start with fandoms and cute girls instead...
>>
No. 43433
>>43431
Not bad. Proportions in image 3: The breasts are too high. Try to mark the ribcage and sternum, then count the ribs to figure our where the breasts should start and stop. It's much lower than you intuitively think even for small, firm breasts. I don't have any pictures with me that I can upload but it's easy to find anatomy references on the web where you see ribs and breasts.
>>
No. 43435
>>43431
Man, I really dig your first one. I dunno if it was intentional, or just a matter of the kind of stuff you're exposed to, but it has a really "eastern bloc" look to it, like some rad as hell stalinist aesthetic shit going on, minus the terrible tankie messages.
>>
No. 43440
53 kB, 600 × 450
118 kB, 1440 × 1000
>>43435
I stole the idea from the 2nd pic but just discovered that there was something similar in my political folder (the 1st picture), I was inspired by Soviet political propaganda years ago and my desire to draw on politics was one of the reasons why I started drawing. It's a pity that there's no demand for political agitation in art nowadays, YouTub vloggers and various politicaly active celebrities took that share in the market. Even major and wealthy American newspapers don't make political cartoons anymore. 2d porn is the new low bar for newbies
>>
No. 43493
>>43440
Man, were I a twitter kind of person, I'd totally follow a motherfucker posting cool agitating sketches. Weird that there's no market for it, or maybe you just need one of them fancy blue ticks that you see on accounts. Dunno what they are, but they seem important from the menes and stereotypes I pick up. Is there some small magazine/newspaper that might publish political stuff in your area? Maybe hit them up. Around here, the big student '''socialist''' group (social democratic, really, worked with one of their writers once who claimed to be a 'Revolutionary Socialist', but was against people being allowed to own firearms which they could use to actually have said revolution) has their national rag that eats political cartoons up, especially if they're tailored towards the current hotness and not just to long-term trends and ideas.

I mean, yeah you're going to have to deal with a bunch of dickheads when you go within a hundred paces of something like that, but it can't be worse than the kind of slob you'll encounter doing porn or fandom crap.
>>
No. 43501
284 kB, 845 × 1200
317 kB, 852 × 1200
188 kB, 839 × 1200
246 kB, 839 × 1200
>>43493
memes are cheap since lots of ppl do them for free.

Pics: these posters are excellent but... How much did they cost to the state? From a Western POV from the 21st Century, such talent costs a fortune
>>
No. 43516
>>43493
Average monthly salary after taxes in Ukraine is $400 (it doesn't take into account inequality though, you need median wage for that), even if there was a job like that I won't humiliate myself for those pennies. I am 99% sure though they wouldn't pay more than $250, it's absolutely ridicilous, I saw state job offers that require higher education but pay fucking $200 a month (6000 hryvien'). Moreover, I almost never leave my flat, so porn is the only solution. I find genuine pleasure in doing requests, it's not that bad. Better than being treated like a replaceable slave by boss or being obliged to show up at the office every 8:00 5 days a week to earn my peanuts.
>>
No. 43519
17 kB, 400 × 326
1,2 MB, 1280 × 900
I finished my another crap, in attempts at learn something in paiting. It's my usual stuff so it's under spoiler so it will not embarrass anyone accidently.
>>
No. 43520
1,2 MB, 1280 × 900
>>43519
Version 2 that addes a bunch of fog effects so my shitty background did not melt with foreground because I have IQ89 and don't plan whole pic from start to finish before actually making details on them.
>>
No. 43526
>>43519
>>43520
Nice work, particularly on the muscles and anatomy. The fog effect was a nice trick to get those characters to pop a bit more. I also understand not planning out the whole canvas before you start, because I do the same thing. I just draw a few lines and then see what develops, making it up as I go along.
>>
No. 43539
>>43520
>>43519
You are getting better. But you should use models, copy whatever you need from photos because trying to learn painting without references is pure hell. Even the famous ancient masters were always using real models for their "great" paintings
>>
No. 43551
102 kB, 1000 × 800
45 kB, 608 × 512
9 kB, 584 × 353
46 kB, 400 × 300
I still kind of suck at drawing :^)
>>
No. 43554
4,3 MB, 3120 × 4208
I want to pick up drawing again.
Maybe I'll even get a cheapo tablet again :)
But for now, ballpoint pen it is.

I'm currently practising faces. I would live to learn that one technique that you always see online where the face is divided up into polygons.
>>
No. 43567
178 kB, 1160 × 1160
>>43554
On an old painting I did of Ernstwurf, I had trouble with the light and shadow on his face I suck at painting :D. I ended up drawing a basic polygon model to help me visualize the different planes and angles. That's not too difficult when drawing an anthropomorphic mole, but those detailed polygon portraits look a lot harder. If you practice enough, I'm sure you can figure it out, though.
>>
No. 43577
>>43526
>>43539
Thank you. I'll try to use proper refferences and make overall structure and scene of picture before getting in detail. I know pro painters don't even use lineart as basis and just start from "spot".

>>43551
Small planet idea is awesome concept to try skills at perspective and things like that.
want to become furry artist? :--DDD
>>
No. 43975
49 kB, 945 × 497
Some drawings for an Ernst.
>>
No. 43981
>>43975
Cute!
>>
No. 43990
>>43975
Cool ernstleaf cap. I've drawn that thing a hundred times, but still manage to screw it up. If you ever see a decent cap from me, you can be assured it was not my first attempt. Or my second. or third...:D
>>
No. 44024
295 kB, 900 × 1400
Tried do something quick in "comic style". Well, at least to degree I can replicate it. Dunno if it will go anywhere beyond that.
>>
No. 44055
286 kB, 1524 × 834
>>44024
Nice work; I love the detail you were able to get into his face, and your shadows are excellent.

>Dunno if it will go anywhere beyond that.
It never hurts to build a pile of random characters and styles. If you don't use it now, maybe he'll fit into a later project. In the Today thread there was an ernst who was building a searchable database of information that he could use for writing. It occured to me that, for artists, our sketchbooks serve a similar purpose. They're filled with half-finished characters and visual concepts that have little value now, but might come in handy someday.

Still working on a better version of this >>43274. I swear I'm not that slow, I just decided to finish the zine project first. Here's what the drawing looks like now, with the lines cleaned up, but without color or lighting effects.
>>
No. 44086
137 kB, 793 × 850
1,2 MB, 600 × 1200
1,2 MB, 1000 × 2375
315 kB, 1050 × 825
Drew a portrait of gf as a gift for her birthday today, the girl was ecstatic. I know that the portrait is muddy because I still struggle with brushwork and use too soft brushes.
>>
No. 44320
762 kB, 1120 × 1034
I drew Helltaker porn fanart (it's a very short puzzle/bullet hell game where you assemble a harem full of demon girls, you can download it for free on Steam) and got a couple of people curious whether I will make more Helltaker stuff, which I was going to make anyway because Helltaker is the biggest albeit declining trend in the West right now. I also colored it using ONLY lasso and gradient tool, which is a bit surprising for me, I did not know you can make coloring this good and fast with simple gradients. It was the most useful day of my life because I also learned how to make the character's full white eyes shine and I now know that with Gaussian blur the quality of your line art will reach the heavens.
>>
No. 44328
2,4 MB, 5000 × 4300
>>44320
I don't know how you did it, but I like the result of your technique here. I've only used gradients to create lighting effects, but never tried coloring with them like this.
Your use of Gassian blur reminded me of a neat trick that I discovered last year. I wanted to edit an image from Tom & Jerry, but whenever I moved a character they didn't blend properly back into their new background. They stood out too much. Eventually I figured out that the solution was to use a Gaussian blur. That created just enough distortion that any seams between the original picture and my changes would virtually disappear. I made this picture to show what I did. (Sorry about the size, but I work large and reducing the image would make it difficult to see the subtle changes).
Also, I never actually finished editting this image, so the only thing that came out of the project was this one trick. But now I know that I can blur a layer to help it blend in, so I would say it was time well spent.
>>
No. 44331
192 kB, 846 × 1200
This threda makes me miss drawing ;_;

I even picked up a used wacom tablet lately for 15 euros. And I was quite good in finnign, lineart, and all the jazz.

Still, I couldn't do nice clean comic style linearts, although I was practising all the time.

Even a few weeks ago I made the resolution to draw a pic a day (on paper) and, guess what, didn't pull through with it.

Drawing is my peak depression marker. A nice activity that costs nothing, is centering, and results in objectively good things, but I do them half-assedly or not at all, then I'm sad about missed opportunities, and crash down.

Music is similar, but at least I have enough leftover still that I can sit and play a small tune and be happy with it. But drawing? Crumpled paper.

That being said, thanks for reading my ramblings, and I would like to quicksketch some requests from Ernsts on my Tablet and Krita, which I recently downloaded. I want to see if I can draw something if I try, or if I'd be better off just shoving the whole attempt into the trash.

So, what should I do? I always apply creativity in scenery/topic design as additional hurdle to my creative attempts, so just stfu'ing that and drawing external input might help.
>>
No. 44334
>>44331
>quicksketch some requests from Ernsts
How about a man looking at the stars through a telescope?
>>
No. 44348
238 kB, 1000 × 1000
>>44334
for the first time I played around with ambient light colors
>>
No. 44362
>>44348
I love it, ernst, thank you!
I know depression can interfere with drawing, but I hope you find a way to work through it somehow.
>>
No. 44418
54 kB, 564 × 704
>>44320
Reminds me of implementation of lights and shadows in style of like picrelated, I like it. I need to learn shapes and lights more.
>>
No. 44476
258 kB, 900 × 1050
542 kB, 1000 × 1167
645 kB, 1000 × 1167
Drew something new on Helltaker. You can check out the results of my lessons about Gaussian blur. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of effort on this and the previous drawing but the result was... lackluster. I used DeviantArt, Tumblr, Pixiv, Twitter, Instagram and tons of tags on each platform, it didn't attract me many likes nor followers. It's depressing when you waste hours drawing something, it brings you 2-3 likes (not even retweets or followers) and then you look up at the weaker artists getting lots of attention.

>>44418
Copy references and your favorite artists' pictures. No matter what you learn, references will make you study better, drawing without references is akin to reinventing a wheel, very painful and long process that won't make you superior to somebody who simply used the existing construct.
>>
No. 44562
493 kB, 1920 × 894
>>44348
It's really crazy reading a little bit about the Arab astronomers from their medieval age. These guys didn't even have telescopes and they were making all these great finds.

I have come to believe that there is truly no more religious experience than to be standing in awe under quite literally the banner of the heavens. I think that insofar as caring for the widow and the orphan and remaining unblemished from the world is real religion in the ethical and moral sense, that S-P-A-C-E and the heavens themselves is real religion to us in the mystical and scientific sense in a way that is truly immortal and timeless.

The more I think about 40K the more I realize that while it's pretty much just a way over the top shitty fantasy game setting IN SPACE that it's actually got a way more impressive and finely grained nuance about it. I mean just taking the warp for instance, it's become increasingly difficult for me to tease through the difference between what is just 40K inspired nonsense, and what occult matters inspired 40K, and what even is the difference, because so far as I have seen you can actually glean a hell of a lot of real occult material from IRL out of a bunch of different fantasy kind of settings. Whether people like Spare and whatshisname ripped some material from there or more likely the authors of 40K errata pulled their knowledge from chaos magicks, it's impeccably bridged.

I get the same feeling whenever I read White Wolf material. A lot of it is crap, a lot is just good storytelling, but there's an awful lot of kernals of truths hidden right in plain site. It makes me think about people like Alan Moore, who himself probably treaded a fine line between just trolling and delving deeply. Springmeier made an interesting observation about the occult in one of his Illuminati books that while I think it partly missed the point also was accurate regarding the kinds of blinders and thinking that goes into occultism.

But really it's not just about that, but rather the fact that taken for what 40K is, I grow increasingly suspicious that those bits of lore and that universe was way ahead of its time. I think it showed a certain fundamental understanding about human nature that's sadly lost on all the people who only make a meta point about it when they go full-MUH GOD EMPRAH and take the 40K universe at face value, unwittingly being examplars of the problem the Empreor had to begin with.

Perhaps the real question would be about what happens when the whole stellar frontier is itself reduced to the point of banality like everything else, and then what else will man mythologize and turn to for his sense of mysticism?
>>
No. 44577
658 kB, 963 × 1188
>>44476
Well, for now I trying to work in general like you know, this sort of comic-book ink style art, so I trying to look at artists who do similar stuff.
>>
No. 44633
216 kB, 850 × 819
I love to use the Bucket tool to fill large areas, but I've discovered this weird error that happens now and then. If I touch the screen right at the edge of a comic panel, sometimes it decides to follow that edge all the way around. The tool treats the seperate border layer as an area to fill, and creates a color outline that is almost perfectly concealed beneath that black line. I can usually tell when this happens, because there is a slight lag between the time I touch the screen, and the time any color appears. If I don't catch it while I'm working, then I can spot it by making the border layer invisible. Pic related.
Anyway, I find it comforting that the machine still needs my eye to proof read its work :D
>>
No. 44754
658 kB, 2040 × 1102
>>43274
>>44055
I finished the latest version of this drawing. There are 16 visible layers, mixing different blending effects and opacity levels. The original version only had 9, so yeah, I went a little crazy as I was playing with the details :D.
Well, a couple of those layers were really necessary to get the shadows dark enough. Those shadows were washed out by by the light over his snout, so I had to move them to a new layer which is sitting on top of the brightest gradient-but below a slightly darker gradient. It got a bit confusing at times, tbh, which is why I like to add a letter of the alphabet to the name of each layer. That letter makes sure I always keep the layers in the correct order.
>>
No. 44938
950 kB, 1280 × 1280
>>44754
I'd advise you not play TOO MUCH with all effects and 9000 layers. It's nice and this how modern pros are doing, but focusing yourself to work with less tools and less layers can imitate actual work on paper and undesrting of it more closely. Nice work on stylisation, still.

>>44577
I continue my jorney into this sort of style.
>>
No. 44984
130 kB, 910 × 1211
>>44938
I really like this style you're using.

>focusing yourself to work with less tools and less layers can imitate actual work on paper and undesrting of it more closely.
I appreciate the advice. I ultimately want my digital work to match what I do on paper, and vice versa, but have been dedicating much more time to the digital side lately. By relying on these tools and shortcuts(to cover the gap in my skill)I'm not doing myself any favors.
I actually started something new on paper yesterday, and immediatly drew a character too low on the page. If this were digital I would simply drag it up higher, or change the canvas size. Since that's not an option, I have to either erase and redraw it higher, or just leave it where it is and reorganize my composition. Right now I'm leaving it, and hoping that this obstacle will spark spark some new creativity as I work. Maybe I'll end up with something better than my original idea.
Have a bad picture of a bad drawing of a cow :D