/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 40605
11 kB, 500 × 300
Seeing the current thread, I'll try again.
All you need to do is send me any drawings or articles.
1.Can be on anything you want.
2.Soft submission deadline is July 1. Hard submission deadline will be two weeks after. Three months. We'll have quarterly issues. Keep sending even after deadline, will go in next issue.
3.Send to ec_zine@protonmail.com along with a suggestion for zine name.
That's all.
>>
No. 40607 Kontra
Wouldn't it be better to at least have somewhat of an overall topic for every issue?
>>
No. 40608
>>40607
No, because there was zero submissions last time. I will receive anything for the first issue. Depending on how that goes, we can discuss themes for later issues.
>>
No. 40610
>>40605
I hope you have success.
>>
No. 40614
I'm sceptical but could be intrigued if it gets interest. I'd say a thread for long-form posts would be enough but, as the military logistics Aussie found out many years ago, its a good deal of effort for something that might not ever be read.

Come to think of it, we don't really share any core interests either. My understanding is that these things should follow a core-theme.
>>
No. 40616
I'm not even entirely sure what would be the difference between making an autistically long post on some topic tbh
>>
No. 40620
>>40614
Do you want any advice? Don't think about the structure. Every part of the chain has to like what he's doing or at least feel compelled to do said thing. Doesn't matter if you are the only ones who read it or the what the actual structure is, just go with the flow and try to find what works best when you have some experience under the belt.
>>
No. 40642
>>40605
You could name a few articles you would like to receive.

>>40621
Are you trying to crash his phone or something? :D
>>
No. 40649
99 kB, 598 × 601
Anybody interested in reading further? it's part of the introduction of a paper I ran it through deepL translator and made some adjustments, it will take some time to translate but I'm rather concerned if it is of interest at first.

>If one thinks of Max Horkheimer and Theodor W. Adorno, it becomes difficult not to associate at least the latter with an elitist gesture. Wasn't it Adorno who attacked jazz and called the amusement of Hollywood films a 'steel bath'? Doesn't Adorno begrudge the working masses this amusement that has become a commodity, even though it is one of the last pleasures that the masses will have? Adorno's texts, and among them the 'Dialectic of Enlightenment', which he wrote together with Horkheimer, do not skimp on judgments about and criticism of bourgeois-capitalist society; judgments that one in mind perceives from a pulpit. Where does this supposed elitism come from? The accusation, directed primarily at Adorno, is fed by the concept of the masses. Like many cultural critics before, Adorno and Horkheimer also used it. With the distinction between mindless mass and conscious individual, a majority of society is denied its status as autonomous individuals. That status, it seems, is reserved for people like Adorno and Horkheimer. The 'Dialectic of the Enlightenment', especially the famous chapter on the culture industry, judges a society in which individuals no longer seem to be capable of thinking, but are instead urged to conform and thus mature into a threatening mass that suffocates all thinking and differentiating activity.
In the work of Adorno and Horkheimer, the term mass functions as a representation of society. For them, the mass is a structural feature, if not society in its totality in general. Adorno and Horkheimer do not accept the mass as a given, but describe a history of civilization, at whose end the mass appears as the product of a blinded (non-reflective, purely pragmatic) Enlightenment. A society as a totality that has gained independence from its constituting individuals and in turn forms the individuals, who perceive society as second nature and submit to its dictate of reproducing social and economic conditions.

It's about the concept of the mass in history and in the Critical Theory of the Frankfurt School, it is based on readings of the Dialetic of Enlightement and an article Adorno wrote and titled Society

---

Also who will do the layout and design?
>>
No. 40651
13 kB, 300 × 300
>>40649
Reminds me that this band exists :-DDD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3y5gvxkJZo
>>
No. 40654
I'm in for creating comics. I have a few already, which only need a bit of polish and color. Wait, is color okay? If not, I can paint in greys, or just do an ink wash.

>>40616
>I'm not even entirely sure what would be the difference between making an autistically long post on some topic tbh
From my perspective, a post is usually part of a longer conversation, while an essay/article would be a stand-alone product. So maybe the difference would be in framing the post, with an opening paragraph/argument, and finishing with some sort of conclusion.

>>40649
>Anybody interested in reading further?
I am.
>>
No. 40655
>>40654
>From my perspective, a post is usually part of a longer conversation, while an essay/article would be a stand-alone product. So maybe the difference would be in framing the post, with an opening paragraph/argument, and finishing with some sort of conclusion.

This.

>I am.

Ok, I guess I can handle the time the translation will take.

What about translation that are going on in the literature thread? These could be content as well.
>>
No. 40656 Kontra
>>40651
They seem like old grown punks :D

Funnily, they did a collab with Degenhardt, one of my favorite German rappers he comes from a punk/metal background an not primarily hiphop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwO9hjlGOFg

Degenhardt is a representative of the social outcast.> my social and sexual behavior: paralympics, Tbh reality and fiction mix heavily here. I was drawn to him because he was talking about psychotic trips, helping me a lot back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrAbZmV76kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdFOMzt3q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R0r7Gq-DDw
>>
No. 40683
>>40651
You just made my fucking day, mate. Not the biggest fan of Adorno myself but I know his school enough to apreciate this.
>>
No. 40726
>>40656
I believe you made me download a few Harmonie Hurensohn tapes quite some years ago.
>>
No. 40738
>>40726
>quite some years ago.

I did advertise him on ye olde KC as well. I hope you liked it as much as I did. He is somebody you can come back to when the feels hit.
>>
No. 40864
A weekly bump for submissions.
>>
No. 40865 Kontra
>>40605
I will send you an article next weekend.
How long would you want them to be? What will happen to the not used articles? Is there a way to publish them in some different way so the work wouldn't be for nothing?

Also: I could make some space on ernst.bplaced.net for magazine related things.
>>
No. 40873 Kontra
Looking at my paper that I wanted to translate I get cold feet tbh. It's quite difficult to make an adequate english expression of academical German and deepL is honestly not super helpful in the end, or let's say even with deepL it consumes a lot of time finding the right words.
>>
No. 41119
I will think of a good topic and write an article sometime in the next week or two.
>>
No. 41121
>>40873
tbh English ist just too good for papers.
I prefer to hand out any reports and internal papers in english because it makes things just so much easier.

If I read German papers it just sounds posh or cute (especially Einstein about brownian motion sounds super cute).

I would also find it nearly too hard. It's a lot of effort.
>>
No. 41124
>>41121
My english is not sufficent enough to punch out academia quality sentences easily. In German I'm on a good way tho. The academic style gets more and more normed, even in Germany. At least in the humanities and social sciences the difference in normal paper output is not big. Maybe I'm just getting better at reading such papers though. You can still make it full of jargon. Oftentimes it's due to not being confident with the terminology and concepts that are getting employed or refered too. I don't know what STEM papers in German read like btw.

Might write something else for the mag.
Still a question: Who is doing the design and layout? Who decides the name?
>>
No. 42693
411 kB, 1566 × 1600
Bump.

Working on something right now that turned out to be a larger project than I anticipated, but I'll finish it or perish in the attempt :D
>>
No. 42727
62 kB, 369 × 462
>>42693
I might have something too. I just wrote down the first paragraph that gives an idea of the articles trajectory. Consider it will be something like a longer posting, but why not give it some time to rest and think about more than once or twice.
>>
No. 42738
Godsped, Ernsts, i hope you manage well.
>>
No. 44132
491 kB, 3646 × 2430
I finished reading for an essay I have to write for uni. I will sent in a slimmed-down version as first draft until mid July and within the hard submission deadline, so please be patient. I hope I'm not the only one, who planned on sending in. Maybe some have already sent soemthing in.

Pic kinda related
>>
No. 44133
>>44132
Will we have footnotes or should I turn the ones I usually use a footnote for into in-text references?
>>
No. 44134
>>40605
Twitterzine again?
>>
No. 44146
>>44132
>I hope I'm not the only one, who planned on sending in.
You're not. I finished the project I mentioned here >>42693 and sent it to OP.
>>
No. 44148
62 kB, 369 × 462
>>44146
Allright.
Since I had extensive notes, I have written about 2300 words so far and I will write the last 1/4 or 1/5 within the next days.
I still wonder about the design issues and all, will that be discussed once we know texts are available?
>>
No. 44149
>>44132
I've always wanted to write.

I'll send a small story.
>>
No. 44370
>>40605
The email address in OP, which was once active, is now showing as invalid. Is there any reason why?
>>
No. 44384
>>44370
BUMP. Because I want to finish my essay on sunday and sent it in.
>>
No. 44386
165 kB, 1022 × 844
73 kB, 800 × 576
>>44384
We need a response from OP about the email address. I was able to send something two weeks ago, but when I tried to send again last night it didn't go through. I tried to verify the address online, and recieved pic 1: Email does not exist.
t.Confused
>>
No. 44525
If OP pulled out, are there any other Ernst that can handle photoshop, layout and type respectively?
I'm thinking about the American who seems versatile with such tools.

Seems pointless to finish the essay, I would post it here if there is no alternative (not really interested in sending it to kohls) that can be realized or OP coming back and clearing things up.

Also will the Austrian who takes photos contribute to the zine?
>>
No. 44528
406 kB, 995 × 1280
>>44525
I can help with image editing. What's the plan?
>>
No. 44537
>>44528
The plan would be to make a zine even though OP seem to lost interest in what he wanted to start.
The problem is that I don't have knowledge in the programs that would be needed to layout the zine. Basically send the texts to people who can put it all together in a zine. OP never said anything about that anyway afaik.
>>
No. 44540
>>44525
>I'm thinking about the American who seems versatile with such tools
I'm afraid my digital skill set is very limited. I use the drawing app Medibang for everything, which isn't as versatile as Photoshop.

>>44528
>I can help with image editing.
I'm glad to hear it. In addition to being unqualified, I'm also not really management material :D

Assuming that OP is unable to continue, can we get a head count in this thread of anyone who has sent something to the now dead ec_zine email address, or of anyone who had plans to? I believe that would be a good first step in getting this project restarted.

I submitted something.
>>
No. 44541
>>44537
Latex is strong for that kind of thing depending on your software wizardry. If you aren't after anything super fancy, you can probably get a decent enough end product out of a word processor too. If you want fancy borders and shit, I could only say GIMP or Photoshop but I barely know how to use them.
t. spoken with people who've published zines
>>
No. 44551
>>44541
Yeah, you could copy all texts in a word doc and export it as pdf :DDD
Ideally, we have some nice cover, design/layout and a handful of texts and some pictures.

>>44540
I planned on sending in something but haven't finished, now that the adress is dead I will only get back to that essay once I know there will be a new attempt on making a zine. It's only the last part that needs to be finished.