Hail Odin! by Christenklatscher666

M3U - XSPF

Niedliche Scheissmusik by Funpaku

Online player

M3U - XSPF

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 47690
139 kB, 800 × 543
466 kB, 894 × 613
347 kB, 368 × 519
>>47688
Posted about Happiness, but threda autosage'd so here's v4 of the best thread. Here's the repost:

Watched Happiness (1935), a silent movie about a yokel with this stronk wife who live and work a farm, being bled dry by the classes of old Russia - Priests, kulaks, military, thieves, etc. The movie itself really isn't that good save for its historical context.

Our yokel attempts to perform his own funeral which makes all the parasites who live off his work terrified because if he dies, "Then who will feed Russia?". The clergy accuse the fool of sacrilege - the military takes him and they sentence him to die 7 times in the Carpathians. His strong heroic wife joins a kolkhoz, leads a shock worker bridge and scores a bountiful harvest. The collective farm awards her applause, praise and even sheep. There is still trouble in the kolkhoz as remants of the old classes try to steal from the collective and start acts of sabotage. Alcoholics and 'loafers' are shown to be the reason why the collective isn't doing EVEN better.
The evildoers attempt to steal the grain stockpile, the main character who was demoted to standing guard fails to keep safe the people's grain and those damned reactionary forces steal both the warehouse and our protagonist. In the end, the collective DESTROYS them by shucking melons at them because their harvests were so incredible and bountiful that they could assault food thieves with them. After this victory by the shock workers of our collective farm, the couple goes shopping in a fashionable and well stocked clothes store in a nice and organized city.
As they leave the city, they throw their old clothes away and the reactionary forces (now poverty striken bums former clergy) fight over their discarded garbage.
>>
No. 47713
47 kB, 704 × 400
80 kB, 704 × 400
49 kB, 704 × 400
139 kB, 1120 × 608
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Gets going pretty quickly, and then it's just pure butt-clenching terror. Can definitely tell how influential this one was, great stuff.

Cujo (1983)
Based on a Stephen King story, I remember my mother telling me about the story as a child and finding it spooky, but I the movie was rather terrible. Just couldn't care less about the characters, and the dog just isn't all that terrifying for the most part.

>>47690
Sounds kinda horrifying in its own right :D
>>
No. 47714
691 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,6 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,0 MB, 1920 × 1080
1004 kB, 1920 × 1080
>>47614
Yeah, I already watched Jacob's Ladder, liked it, but I wasn't able to take it as seriously since I watched it with some friends

>Carnival of Souls
Thanks for the rec, really liked this one, it's so simple yet well done, a great thrilling story with a haunting ending & the main actress is an absolute babe.
Never heard about it before, quite a hidden gem imo. Together with Kiss Me Deadly (1955) makes me want to watch more of this 50-60s b/w stuff.

If anyone's interested, it's quite short & free on yt in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYg4YWkp0k
>>
No. 47715 Kontra
56 kB, 960 × 400
50 kB, 960 × 400
70 kB, 960 × 400
75 kB, 960 × 400
Now for the real horror, a 3.5h long Nixon biopic.

Jokes aside, usually I hate biopics, but this one was really good. It's mostly filmed in the usual realist fashion, but plentily interspersed with more experimental montages of real footage and a couple of surreal scenes. It casts Nixon as a sort of tragic anti-hero in a Shakespearean fashion, so it was very enjoyable to watch despite its length and a couple of scenes that were just slightly heavyhanded. Really great acting too from an absolute all star cast around Anthony Hopkins.

>>47619
Will check these out, 3rd one looks quite interesting
>>
No. 47808
115 kB, 1184 × 640
230 kB, 1184 × 640
102 kB, 1184 × 640
95 kB, 1184 × 640
This one kinda sucked tbh, the CGI was just meh and the anti-religious theme very on the nose
The ending is also just tragic in an overly edgy way.
I imagine it might be a decent watch with friends, you don't have to pay full attention to it but it doesn't really get boring either.
>>
No. 47809 Kontra
49 kB, 1260 × 710
Also RIP to a real one, holy shit.
>>
No. 47810
>>47808
Hoo shit, I remember watching it as soon as it came out, and the ending was the only thing I kinda liked about it. Granted, it was in horrible quality: some dude just filmed it on camera in some cinema ("ekranka", as we call it in Slavlands) — so this fact may have influenced my judgment. Also, since that dude was filming on simple camera (might even be a phone camera, ugh) without a shotgun mic or anything, you could hear all the audience in the cinema, which really destroyed the immersion. The worst (and at the same time the funniest) moment was when that religious cunt got shot: the audience gave an ovation complete with celebratory cheers and laughter XDDDDDDD.
>>
No. 47839
>>47808
>>47810
I cannot even remember the ending and I watched it years after the initial release.

>decent watch with friends, you don't have to pay full attention to it but it doesn't really get boring either.

Nicely packed and true what a film for such an event must fulfil.
>>
No. 47842
100 kB, 1096 × 656
105 kB, 1096 × 656
106 kB, 1096 × 656
135 kB, 1096 × 656
Cheesy and horny as hell, but I liked this one more than the first one. Actually wanted to just watch it while doing sth else but got sucked in enough to just watch it with full attention.
Gonna watch a couple other Sean Connery movies in commemoration I guess.

>>47810
> the ending was the only thing I kinda liked about it
Yeah, the car scene itself is pretty good actually, but IMO it should've just ended with the top view of the car and then fading to black, instead of the "twist"
Or like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nZUEkAsw8 :DDDDD

>the audience gave an ovation complete with celebratory cheers and laughter XDDDDDDD
Haha, yeah that's understandable

>>47839
Check the yt link above if you want to remember the ending :DDDD
>>
No. 47856
>>47808
>>47810
I watched this one with friends in the cinema back then and when the religous-conservative woman antagonist died people started to clap during the movie. Only time this ever happened when I was around.
>>
No. 47905
114 kB, 1078 × 646
134 kB, 1078 × 646
124 kB, 1078 × 646
126 kB, 1078 × 646
Sean Connery with a bloody 'eavy accent portraying a tough policeman who gets confronted with his inner demons during an interrogation with a pedophile. Very theatrical acting, not surprising since it's based on a play. For the most part consists of three dialogues, interspersed with some shots of brutal British architecture. Good movie.
>>
No. 47911
747 kB, 1181 × 3000
72 kB, 640 × 854
>>47856
>>47810
In Badalona this happened too.

I liked a lot the film. It's pretty faithful to the novel in terms of violence and oppression.

Films: 1. nice but a bit sad.
2. Americans being able to make European films. Well done, good stuff.
>>
No. 47917
So I'm not even 100% sure this belongs here, but since it's a show made by people who also made a very successful show on TV for 20 years, I might be forgiven:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9WfZuNceFDM

Note: I do not want to spark political discussion in this thread. I would like to put this new thing from the creator of South Park on here because I was laughing a lot during these 15 minutes and I've only learned about it by chance.
>>
No. 48009
281 kB, 1920 × 1080
325 kB, 1920 × 1080
245 kB, 1920 × 1080
297 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched The Producers. A bit too eccentric for my taste, but I liked it nonetheless. There are quite a lot of funny lines ("Will you please shut up?" — "You shut up. You are the audience. I am the author. I outrank you!"; "Actors are not animals. They're human beings." — "They are? Have you ever eaten with one?") and characters are so over-the-top that they transcend being ridiculous and become hilarious (my favorite is Franz, an unapologetic Nazi who never parts with his Stahlhelm). Also, those sixties chicks are kinda sexy, especially Ulla.
>>
No. 48145
26 kB, 552 × 442
I currently watched The People Under The Stairs. It reminded me a lot of over the top horror flicks like Mother's Day but has a lot of comedy involved that makes it just a fun and whacky experience.

Can't believe that it was basically illegal in Germany until 2018.
>>
No. 48212
622 kB, 1200 × 1818
236 kB, 1300 × 1046
9 kB, 480 × 360
Nice!

>>48145
Banned? I never like it someone bans things :(
>>
No. 48222
>>48212
Many horror classics in uncut version from the 80s are banned in Germany. "Ban" means that it's either not allowed to receive public promotion ('under the counter' sales only) or in the worst case that the existing copys get confiscated.

Funny enough People Under The Stairs' ban was lifted and it received FSK 16, not even highest rating. I think they worked too much with red lines in the past, where they just made it illegal for showing violence towards minors disregarding any context.
>>
No. 48274
215 kB, 1920 × 1080
144 kB, 1920 × 1080
124 kB, 1920 × 1080
122 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Jigokuhen. It's a dark story of Yoshihide, a Korean painter in the employment of callous and egotistical Lord Horikawa, paramount ruler of Japan. Lord Horikawa wants Yoshihide to paint a picture of Paradise, but Yoshihide can only paint what he sees: pain and suffering caused by Horikawa's rule. Then it becomes even worse for Yoshihide, because Horikawa takes away his daughter and makes her a concubine. Since Yoshihide cannot draw a Paradise, Horikawa orders him to paint Hell instead, and promises to give him back his daughter.

The best thing about the movie is the performances of two male leads: Yoshihide played by Tatsuya Nakadai, who managed to perfectly portray an oppressed and humiliated man who slowly becomes more and more unhinged, and Horikawa played by Kinnosuke Nakamura, who created a very believable image of a decadent tyrant (I watched another film with Nakamura not so long ago — Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo — and there he played a completely different type of villain: a ruthless intelligent schemer Munenori Yagyu; the contrast between the two of these roles took me by surprise, but I'm always impressed by actors capable of playing wide array of characters).
>>
No. 48307
213 kB, 891 × 1300
203 kB, 1440 × 750
100 kB, 1920 × 800
141 kB, 1920 × 800
Re-watched it. Seen it a long time ago, when I was still mostly a child, and don't remembered much exept that I like it in general. And despite that, it has 6.6/10 on IMDB, in my personal opinion this movie way above that. It have a very ground industrial presentation of the near future. There a lot of similarities in the film with the original Alien, but in general it is even more grounded than this - by technology presentation, and in general by plot - there no mystic or real science "fiction" or fantasy like some alien, or monster. You may describe it as criminal drama. The future presented here is not bright, but not ultra-dirty post-apoc or something. And while overall plot is quite standart, because of the character behaivor I'll not say that this is a cliche experience. Antagonists... people in general here are not caricatures in my opinion, lets say without the spoilers that everyone knows what happening and don't pretending to be an idiot.
Movie quite forgotten nowdays sadly, in my opinion it should be more popular classic. IIRC director of this movie later started to make some ultra cheap crap. Sad!
>>
No. 48310
>>48307
Pretty ok movie. I wouldn't say ultra cheap crap but not excellent either.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001382/?ref_=tt_ov_dr
>>
No. 48313
>>48307
I'd put it in the same boat as Battle Beyond the Stars despite the thematic differences, with them both being attempts to remake very good films (High Noon, Seven Samurai) in a way to appeal to the sci-fi fad of the early 80s (from memory, Outland was intended to be a western but no producer would take it as one). They had pretty good visuals but were average movies at best. So yeah, the reason the plot is standard is because it's an adaptation of one of the most iconic and influential westerns of all time.
>>
No. 48424
235 kB, 1920 × 1080
160 kB, 1920 × 1080
237 kB, 1920 × 1080
271 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Fraktus. It's basically This Is Spinal Tap, only about a German electronic band instead of British metal one. It would be probably more enjoyable for people interested in German techno/electro scene, since it contains a lot of specific humour and references and they have a lot of cameos of famous electronic musicians and producers, but I with my meager knowledge on the subject still found it pretty funny (the scene when the band reclaims their old instruments was the funniest one, IMO). Also, despite Fraktus' songs are meant to be silly, they're still pretty catchy (just like Spinal Tap's Stonehenge which had the cheesiest lyrics possible and which I unironically like).
>>
No. 48569
165 kB, 1347 × 1059
128 kB, 736 × 1097
114 kB, 398 × 549
32 kB, 736 × 417
>>48307
masterpis

no, really, it's a good film.

Now for mine: The Maniac: not really good, very plain. It's from Hammer, I figure I'm too ignorant about that company

Experiment in Terror: perhaps can be linear, dunno, but visually is tremendous, and the girl is very nice. She reminded me of a certain kind of beauty.
>>
No. 48632
57 kB, 503 × 705
93 kB, 550 × 641
707 kB, 1000 × 1500
Dawn of the Dead 2004: 2nd or 3rd time I watch it. Augh it's cheap (cheap moments, null characters) but has good moments and a respectful attitude. I appreciate a lot this latter characteristic.

Not to mention that I applaud the fast zombies: They are nightmare fuel indeed. They are like a force of nature, the film permeates that desperation. Neat neat neat.

The extras in the DVD are very nice, too. Awww that B-series, I noticed myself wearing that continued stupid smile when watching that extras, aww I love them.

Pic 3: the GOOD poster, the white one which many of us know is not that good.
>>
No. 48908
111 kB, 426 × 597
215 kB, 1334 × 2223
1012 kB, 828 × 2000
145 kB, 1145 × 1145
The Midnight Gospel.

A Netflix cartoon adapted from The Duncan Trussell Family Hour podcast. Real audio conversations are set against phychedelic animated worlds. In the story these worlds are simulations which the host enters to find guests for his spacecast, but also to avoid dealing with his life and the real world around him.
The narrative arc which weaves though the single season is thin, but the real interest stems from guests who discuss life, death, and various philosophical topics. The episode with his mother, now deceased, was simply incredible.
>>
No. 48911
229 kB, 800 × 1156
Mengele, living in Brazil, devises a plot to kill parents of children around the world (that just so happen to have a connection to him). Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman catches onto the plot and hunts down mengele after initial reluctance. It sounds cheesy on the surface, but the acting is great, and the story isn't so simple, but I want to avoid all spoilers.

>>48908
Seems terrible.
>>
No. 48913
592 kB, 1400 × 2100
Unhinged is an American action thriller that "tells the story of a young woman who is terrorized by a seemingly mentally ill stranger following a road rage incident." (Wikipedia)

There is no great plot and character development is very weak too. There is no reasonable explanation given for the character's behavior. Nonetheless I enjoyed it because of the tension. It was a gripping watch and quite entertaining because of its brutality at some parts. But yeah as I said it's no deep philosophical movie or anything.
>>
No. 48915
89 kB, 700 × 1007
>>48908
I really really REALLY want to see a space Christendom created and promulgated but it has occurred to me that a lot of people are just going to end up drawing pop culture inferences such as to The Expanse and WH40K among others, which has little to do with what I propose. Of course I am also well aware of the fact that my incorrigible Americanism leads me to drawing false and terrible relationships with Muslims (I don't know why so many of us do this) because they are patently not allies however I could also just encourage them to extend the Ummah into space as Allah wanted and Mohammed (pbuh) to Moses (pbuh) would have implicated, which itself could trigger a sort of arms race to space exloration between the Christians and the Muslims if all else utterly fails. There's a whole universe out there of dead planets and my farthest off goal is seeing to it that those deserts bloom.

For now though it's the immediate goal of having enough money somehow that I don't have to work period in the rest of the American side of the pandemic, with what just occurred to me yesterday truly should be one of my twin intermediate goals in life: Jewish tiddies.
>>
No. 48927
70 kB, 1200 × 675
>>48915
Despite the title's use of "gospel", the philosophy of the show is closer to Buddhism. At the risk of taking a cartoon too seriously, this vid does a great job dissecting Clancy, the main character(many spoilers ahead):

THE MIDNIGHT GOSPEL: Is It Deep or Dumb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a6P8f4zUuY
>>
No. 48941
>>48927
If The Beatles made cartoons... It huts my brain.
>>
No. 48970
408 kB, 1525 × 2346
Going to watch this movie sometime today or tonight.
>>
No. 48974
>>48915
Space fundies sounds even more atrocious than the ones we've got. Hard pass.
>>
No. 48980
>>48970
Definitely recommend this, it's a good watch.
>>
No. 48984
>>48915
The only group of Christians who are gonna go all in on that are Mormons*. Muslims are gonna have problems with Mecca (do you create rotating prayer gyros that always point toward Earth?).

If you ever read Ender's Game, the sequels to it actually go into space Christianity. You might like it. Interestingly, Orson Scott Card makes his space colony and the protagonists space-Brazilian Catholics instead of Mormon.

*IMO abstract theology is irrelevant to the real practice of the religion, and you shouldn't be so down on Mormons for being heretics
>>
No. 48996
>>48984
>Orson Scott Card makes his space colony and the protagonists space-Brazilian Catholics instead of Mormon
Ender was born on an overpopulated earth, and the resulting reproduction regulations oppressed Catholics(like Ender's father iirc). When we start expanding into alien world's, as occurs in the story, that population problem will swing hard in the other direction. We would suddenly want as many babies as possible. For that to happen, you just need to unleash the Catholics. God will be glorified, and humans will multiply.

Strong religion = larger families. It would make sense that, strictly from an anthropological point of view, faith would be encouraged in any future off-world colonies.
t.Other American
>>
No. 49003
37 kB, 1136 × 543
>>48980
After watching a movie i autistically look at the imbd page of said film and look at the actors to see what other works they are in. I was shocked to see this guy only died a year later to stomach surgery.
>>
No. 49008
32 kB, 458 × 655
Has anyone watched this movie? Would you recommend it? This is the one and only I'm still afraid of seeing. I just heard of it and seen bribes. No horror movie really scares me but this thing grabbed my unease pretty hard. I'm not familiar at all with Pasolini's work or the Italian cinema as a whole. Maybe should I start with another film or another realisator?
>>
No. 49010
>>49008
Yes, I watched it probably out of the same reasons you are interested in it (edgy art cinema where no boundaries are respected etc.). It isn't a horror movie really, so I don't know why you're afraid. The movie is literally about a group of whores and fascists rambling about pedohilia and hebephilia. Sometimes you'll see homosexual intercourse or sexual abuse of youth (which is not explicit, so don't worry). It has no to little story, the only thing that would speak for watching it is its controversy. So would I recommend it? Measuring it with normal standards, no. It isn't a good film, there are much better ones, some were posted in this thread. But if you want to have it on your list of watched movies because it's a classic or because it is banned in multiple countries, then feel free to check it out.
>>
No. 49027
85 kB, 960 × 408
69 kB, 960 × 408
486 kB, 1880 × 1080
121 kB, 1200 × 900
>>49008
Not sure what that says about me, but I quite enjoyed that movie and would recommend it if it sounds interesting too you. IIRC there's a couple of scenes that are more extreme but mostly it's just nudity and abuse. In hindsight I would say it's not that crazy (though ofc depends on what you're used to), but it's still quite an experience to watch. Also interesting to analyse, otherwise it would be basically porn.

>Maybe should I start with another film or another realisator?
I mean you can start wherever you want, but if you want to go with some older classics I'd recommend e.g. Rossellini's Stromboli and Fellini's Dolce Vita. I'd like to recommend something by Antonioni too, but I've only seen some his newer movies and while great they were made abroad with English/American actors.
>>
No. 49034
16 kB, 231 × 325
38 kB, 324 × 450
113 kB, 567 × 818
49 kB, 507 × 964
>>49008
There are much better Italian films than this one. This is the Sade's book with a thick layer of political message. If you want "terror", read the book. If you wanna watch a Pasolinni's great film, watch this one in pic 1.

Italy made good films. Ah, not to mention Leone and Italian terror. A delicatessen is this last one
>>
No. 49036
865 kB, 929 × 614
82 kB, 600 × 889
>>48980
aye aye

Now me: I watched again after a lot of years Bad Taste. Yeaaa good film. What amused me was the fact that I had a scene mixed up. I thought it was like

The weapon is a box and...

"No, you can't have the definitive weapon, it's only for very important moments, Ozzy"
"Awww bastard"

And in the end Ozzy manages to get it and the definitive weapon is a chainsaw.

The film is not this way, the way I remembered it, but it would have been very comical IMHO.

I watched pic 2. It pissed me off in the beginning but it's a good film.
>>
No. 49037
>>49008
I don't know why certain American hipsters and cinematographers liked it so much but then again idk why the fuck they like a hack like Terry either. Terry Davis. Whatever that photographer who's so fond of being a balding degnerate showing his dick off. Personally I thought it was just okay, but was perhaps much more amusing becaus--OHHHHHHHHH that's why hipsters probably like it so much, because it's not the film itself so much as an exploration of the psychology of the actors playing in it. I do think it's mildly interesting and entertaining from the meta perspective of trying to get into the heads of all the people involved in making the film, not the actual film itself, which I guess would be way more interesting to a photographer or an art fag than a consumer. Like there was one priceless scene where this actor's face turns beat red as he's there staring into this man's asshole and it clearly dawns on him what exactly he is doing and you have to wonder if they just shot the one take or had him reshoot and kept that one.
>>
No. 49038
7 kB, 313 × 287
>>49036
*The weapon is IN a box
>>
No. 49045
590 kB, 2000 × 3000
Very good film. It's your archetypal Bond and a well made film at that. You have your action, beautiful women, thrills, romance etc.
>>
No. 49048
>>49010
>edgy art cinema where no boundaries are respected.
Yes this the reason, but, I would not be interested to a edgy movie if he wasn’t good or considered as good in the first place. I heard of a Serbian film and I don’t really want to watch it.

>it is not an horror movie idk why you’re afraid
Explicit child abuse scares me more than zombies tbh (a bit caricatural but I’m sure you understand)

>>49027
>>49034
Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I’ll probably watch one or two of those movie this weekend alone or with friends (if I manage to gather them).

>>49037
>idk why American cinematographers and hipster liked it so much.
Maybe because it’s ultra explicit and there are no boundaries. I dislike a bit burger cinema, at least the great budget movies for many reasons. One of these is that it’s hardcore and borderline to show vaginas or penises, but there is no problem with violence. A man can be cut in two, the movie won’t get any troubles. But if there’s an erected dick in the movie or they film the killing of a dog, it’s the end of the world. But I may be wrong.
>>
No. 49058
886 kB, 1602 × 2256
>>49048
>heard of a Serbian film and I don’t really want to watch it
Yeah, A Serbian Film. Watched it too out of curiosity. This movie is probably even worse than Salo in my opinion. It's only reason for existence is to shock. So wouldn't recommend that neither, just watch good movies and not bad, but controversial ones.
>>
No. 49079
82 kB, 560 × 800
Peppermint tells the story of a woman who loses her husband and little daughter to a drive by shooting which was organized by a drug boss. She becomes a vigilante and hunts the people responsible for the crime on her family down. This is a movie full of action integrated in a heart breaking story of loss and grievance. Will we as the viewers understand her behavior and even justify it? Or do we see her more as a criminal, as a murderer? I liked the movie very much and would definitely recommend.
>>
No. 49111
112 kB, 740 × 1038
>>49037
Pasolinni is a director which was all the rage when the hipsters from that era. I figure it's the reason why, if the current hipsters want to be edgy. I don't know who Terry Davis is. If he's the programmer, he was an artist, may he have peace in the Lord.

>>49048
If you trash, but good trash, watch the 4th one. It's relentless. I even downloaded the unofficial OST, which is solid. If you want something more quality, watch pic, it's the best Fulci film I've watched. Listen to its fantastic music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c46Gv5T9pNE

>>49058
I read a terrible review about Serbian film. It focused in the director's background: to summarize it, I don't trust at all nepotism in regards to film's quality and message, so I'll pass.
>>
No. 49113
>>48970
>>48980
Never watched the movie because I think Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck is an obnoxious piece of shit.
>>
No. 49114
>>49111
> Sette note (Colonna sonora del film "Sette note in nero")

This song slaps, a bit reminiscent of the Suspiria theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pins1y0XAa0) too with the Glockenspiel. Definitely gets me in the mood to watch some giallo...
>>
No. 49229
158 kB, 1918 × 799
112 kB, 1918 × 799
108 kB, 1918 × 799
142 kB, 1918 × 799
That was fairly decent. It's not super interesting, it can be slow at times and the happy ending is kinda meh (although if you consider that that isolated compound doesn't have much supplies and no means of producing them, especially for a quite big number of survivors there, the ending doesn't seem so happy anymore), but the concept — creatures that make you kill yourself if you look at them or just make you insane so you try to force other people to look — is pretty interesting, the acting is okay, and the characters aren't one-dimensional as you usually expect from a mediocre Murrican horror flick. There is some stupid shit like shooting a gun blindfolded, there is some political shit like John Malkovich's character (dunno what Malkovich is doing in the movie like that; probably just making a quick buck, and that's fine by me, because I kinda like the guy) drinks to "making the end of the world great again", and then gets called an asshole several moments later (which was deserved in the context of the scene, but still), but neither stupidity nor politics are prominent, thankfully, and I'm also glad that they didn't resort to cheap shit like jumpscares to make the film "scarier". Overall, a passable movie.
>>
No. 49233 Kontra
I watched mank. It was boring.
>>
No. 49236
>>49233
I can only agree with that. I don't see the point of this movie. I thought of Mank as a pretty ordinary character of the time. I mean, I still learned some stuff through the movie about movie studios back then etc. Besides I don't understand why David Fincher is such an ambivalent director. Some of his movies like Fight Club or Se7en are some of the greatest movies ever made, but then you get stuff like Mank or even worse films. What's wrong with him? This is different with other directors like Tarantino. Either you love all of Tarantino's movies or you hate all of them.
>>
No. 49251 Kontra
>>49236
Fincher makes technically perfect movies with a wide range of topics.

People like Tarantella always do the same. "ragtag ensemble with wacky dialogues because I am Tarantino and so full of myself, also I like feet and wish I were black". So either you like that or you don't. With Fincher, there is more choice, so to say. There are certainly people who hate seven and fight club, but love benjamin button.
>>
No. 49259
183 kB, 800 × 1200
>>49114
ah yeah Goblin, I know them from Dawn 78. Very nice stuff.

Now for the film which is okkkkk but nothing spectacularrrr
>>
No. 49273
52 kB, 720 × 400
37 kB, 720 × 400
43 kB, 720 × 400
67 kB, 720 × 400
Alright series with an overall solid story & cinematography. The first episode drags on a bit too long with the flashback/origin story, and the portrayal of Soviet Russia seems rather weird to me (the very last scene especially is rather strange tbh). Nothing too special, but Anya Taylor-Joy is just great in her role and way too cute...
>>
No. 49275
249 kB, 1920 × 1080
248 kB, 1920 × 1080
176 kB, 1920 × 1080
245 kB, 1920 × 1080
Very fun comedy show, basically consisting of montages of strange footage with commentary and interviews.

Trailer explains it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7aSybHRa6s

And it's produced by Nathan Fielder from Nathan For You, so if you liked that or the All Gas No Brakes channel on yt, I'd definitely recommend it. It's only six eps and I'm seriously itching for some more.
>>
No. 49278 Kontra
61 kB, 700 × 572
60 kB, 700 × 572
64 kB, 700 × 572
63 kB, 700 × 572
Also watched this classic Soviet crime series. It's great all around with many memorable scenes & characters, though I wonder how much people without much Soviet background would enjoy it.
>>
No. 49289
131 kB, 888 × 1197
>>49278
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Kr8g8wps0

with English subs here: thank youuuuu Germanyyy
>>
No. 49296
64 kB, 467 × 660
This was a good Japanese horror movie. It wasn't extraordinary but not bad either. Basically it tells the story of an old woman and her daughter-in-law that live in great poverty as there is a war currently going one (I think the movie takes place in Japanese middle ages). They kill Samurai that come to their location and sell their valuables to get food in return. The son of the old woman (who is the husband of the daughter-in-law) is fighting in said war until one day their neighbor, a friend of the husband, comes back and tells them that he died in battle. Tensions between the old woman on the one side and the daughter-in-law and the neighbour on the other side arise in the verge of survival. The movie tells a simple story with very few characters, but that makes it so excellent. The horror is very subtle, so don't expect jumpscares or anything.
>>
No. 49298
1,3 MB, 3240 × 2175
Watched it yesterday and it was actually my first Woody Allen movie ever, so I was quite excited. Basically it revolves around the relationship of Alvy Singer (an alter ego of Woody Allen) and Annie Hall. It depicts their development as a couple and underlines the uniqueness one can feel when being in a love relationship. But much more than the little story of a short lasting relationship you can't expect. It was in some parts quite funny (Woody Allen is a funny guy!) and I also liked the style of 70s New York. But yeah, in general it was pretty boring and not very "deep" either. Maybe a 6,5/10 in my opinion.
>>
No. 49302 Kontra
>>49298
I heard pretty good things about this movie in particular. So maybe should I start to watch Woody Allen.
>>
No. 49306
Watching "The Queen's Gambit", pretty good. Too few Chess for my taste, but her eyes carry it.
>>
No. 49307
>>49296
>The horror is very subtle
And probably not even supernatural. I strongly suspect that whatever has afflicted the old woman in the end is not some sort of curse, but simple smallpox.
>>
No. 49314
>>49307
Well, that should remain a mystery. :)
>>
No. 49407
73 kB, 920 × 518
120 kB, 640 × 910
46 kB, 590 × 282
173 kB, 783 × 1080
I came across some interesting shows lately and thougt I'd recommend them here if anyone's interested:

>Devs (2020)
>science fiction thriller miniseries with 8 episodes
Lily and her boyfriend both work for a quantum computing tech company. After her bf gets promoted to the secret development unit he is killed but Lily suspects something isn't quite right and tries to unveal the truth.
Fresh concepts and the choice of topics dealt with make this one worth a watch.

>Ill Behaviour (2017)
>British dark comedy miniseries with 3 episodes
After Charlie has been diagnosed with cancer and wants to treat it with "alternative therapies" his friends Tess and Joel kidnap him and give him a chemotherapy with the help of an oncologist.
Arte has it currently: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/095847-001-A/ill-behaviour-1-3/

>Please Like Me (2013-2016)
>Australien drama/comedy in 4 seasons (32 episodes)
The show deals with emotional, psychic and relationship issues of everyday life for the main character Josh as well as his family and friends and their partners.

>Æon Flux (1991 - 1995)
>animated avantgarde science fiction with 3 seasons
A 90's MTV classic. S1 and S2 are shorts of only a few minutes. S3 is with episodes of 30 minutes. The shorts are iconic for mysteriously intoducing us to a dystopian future in which the spy Æon Flux tries to solve various missions. S3 features actual spoken dialouge while still keeping the creative spirit. Also the show prominently features BDSM and weird kinks.
>>
No. 49466
>>49233
>>49236
Yeap, same here. Really nothing particularly redeemable about it, nothing too bad either, just an overall pointless and boring movie with maybe a couple of cool scenes.
>>
No. 49491
>>49407
Devs is sort of interesting but only once. There is no review value in it. Not bad though.

> Aeon Flux
Oh man. Also there is a live action movie.
>>
No. 49496
I'm finna bouta watch Apocalypto
>>
No. 49689
282 kB, 1920 × 1080
372 kB, 1920 × 1080
204 kB, 1609 × 905
406 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Seconds.

One day a successful but aging banker Arthur Hamilton receives a phone call from his friend Charlie, who was supposed to be dead for a long time. This gets Arthur in contact with a mysterious organization which allows people to adopt a different identity in order to begin a new life. Arthur accepts their proposal and starts living as bohemian painter Antiochus Wilson, but soon finds out that it's not that easy to get used to being another person, nor does it possible to completely let go of his past.

A very good SF-ish drama/thriller with a dark mood. The plot may be a bit too straightforward, but Rock Hudson is brilliant as Tony Wilson and cinematography is exceptional. Definitely worth the watch.
>>
No. 49690
Might start watching Christmas movies soon since the date is drawing near, but i feel like watching something from the late 80s early 90s era.
>>
No. 49691
244 kB, 1505 × 1000
232 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,3 MB, 1920 × 816
98 kB, 932 × 1200
What a great movie! Cape Fear is a classic 90s psychological thriller in which the ex con Max Cady tries to make the life of his former public defendant miserable as he held back a document in court that might have prevented Cady from going to jail. In the essence this is a revenge movie. Cady wants to teach him what loss and suffering mean. Another superb acting role by de Niro and great directing by Scorsese!
>>
No. 49692
288 kB, 1444 × 2072
415 kB, 2400 × 1600
1,2 MB, 3840 × 2160
957 kB, 3000 × 1819
In the movie Wind River s veteran hunter helps an FBI agent investigate the murder of a young woman on a Wyoming Native American reservation. Everything takes place is this snowy, cold, lonely location that is the Wyoming Native American reservation. Above everything there lies a mysterious veil of darkness and depression. The plot is not very complex or anything, but I think the movie gains momentum through its atmospheric storytelling and great character development. Besides there are some really beautiful shots of that snowy landscape!
>>
No. 49693
>>49691
I haven't seen this in years, wind river wasn't bad also.
>>
No. 49696
>>49692
I remember this one, watched it with my then gf. Was quite a good movie, good cinematography, the plot not complex as you said but the setting makes it good.
>>
No. 50130
10,7 MB, 704 × 384, 1:32
136 kB, 1280 × 688
99 kB, 1280 × 688
148 kB, 1280 × 688
Finally got around to finishing this series, it's really good. A sort of "criminal underworld of America" story, but it has a very apocalyptic vibe to it, and the neon-synth violent aesthetics typical to Refn.

It's incredibly slow and indulging in it's visuals and sardonic dialogues at many times, so it's advisable to be slightly zooted while watching to bear with it IMO. I can also see people complaining because so few of the plotlines are resolved in a satisfying way. Would especially recommend if you liked e.g. True Detective S2 & Twin Peaks.
>>
No. 50134
>>50130
Man you guys just got a whole bunch of strange shit in my recommended list from trying to look up scenes from that show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzRUMgrXx70
I think it's a show about some homosexual Srbijan gangster? Or regular Serb who acts like that? I've watched 20 minutes of clips and not sure wtf is going on. This also looks like a good show although I kinda feel like watching Rifn style cinematography might help heal my brain. Or meditation. I feel like I never stop and make myself still but then accomplish nothing at all anyway
>>
No. 50143 Kontra
>>50130
Well, I really liked No Country for Old Men, it looks like a similar style. Wikipedia says it can be called neo-noir, which is promising. Hey, if my roomies still want to desperately watch a show together I will only advice this one or I'm out since I don't watch shows.
>>
No. 50161
>>50143
Hey how did we even set up streaming sessions before? It's been so long I haven't even got a clue which chat tool is used to set up the chatroom to watch things in like we used to watch political debates, movie night, and so on. Although actually now come to think of it maybe I shouldn't volunteer to do that because streaming pirated content is now a felony here, so maybe somebody else should set that up.
>>
No. 50169
54 kB, 1280 × 688
31 kB, 544 × 304
13 kB, 544 × 304
29 kB, 576 × 320
Recently also watched the 2nd and 3rd installment of Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive series. The film plots are barely related to each other other than starring the same main actors in similar antagonistic roles. While the 1st and 3rd one are pretty decent B-movies with the usual Miike madness, the 2nd one stands out in particular. It's about two estranged childhood friends reconnecting and becoming contract killers who donate all the money they make to save children in Africa. It has a pretty lengthy middle part though when they both go hiding on the island they grew up on, and they're just chilling and having a good time. Kind of reminded me of Takeshi Kitano's Sonatine, though being directed by Miike there's both more grotesque violence & humor and sentimentality.
GL finding these in decent quality though, the rips I found were pretty terrible.

>>50143
>No Country for Old Men

Yeah, that's actually a good comparison, you could say it's "No County for Old Men on acid" mb :D
As a bit of warning when watching together with roommates, the first two episodes barely explain anything IIRC and are mostly just setup, and the plot only really starts with ep. 3. Also, there's a couple of rather graphic scenes (as you could probably guess by what the screenshots insinuate :D)

>>50134
>I kinda feel like watching Rifn style cinematography might help heal my brain.

I highly doubt that the above series would help at all with that lol. If any movie can help, it's maybe rather older b/w stuff like sth by Yasujiro Ozu, or sth else that's considered "slow cinema"
>>
No. 50227
92 kB, 630 × 1200
I started watching this early 90s documentary about human life on the various waterways of Eastern North America. From Canada's maritime territories to the gulf of Mexico. Ive fallen in love with the landscape of North America lately, fuck Australia feels so ugly, alien and hostile to me at times. Deep down i know i don't belong in this land.
>>
No. 50233
94 kB, 626 × 538
>>50227
>Deep down i know i don't belong in this land.
I thought that was the beauty of Australia.
>>
No. 50365
44 kB, 260 × 376
Rewatched it yesterday and holy shit, what an incredibly silly movie. I really didn't remember it being THIS silly.
It's hard to believe this wasn't a parody. Hell, even Dead and Loving it isn't substantially more silly than this and it's silly on purpose.

The music, the dialogue, Anthony Hopkins and Sadie Frost overacting as fuck, Keanu being Keanu, all the plotholes, I had to giggle all the time because everything was so over top.
The romance doesn't make any sense at all, Keanu's greyed hair looks like absolute ass, I could basically name every single scene.

Nosferatu (whichever version) is absolutely superior. What happened to Coppola to lose "it" after Godfather 2? He hasn't made anything good ever since.
>>
No. 50369
72 kB, 1200 × 675
I loved Patria
8 episodes reflecting the effect of violence in the Basque country during ETA
>>
No. 50370
46 kB, 450 × 300
120 kB, 1004 × 565
109 kB, 750 × 1067
Probably the best Argentine film
About a homicide case that haunted him all his live
>>
No. 50371
118 kB, 878 × 1200
215 kB, 1594 × 2500
>>50365
I actually enjoyed it and thought the soundtrack was one of the greatest, plus it actually had a really grand setup at the beginning and it actually did stick pretty close to what vampires actually are all about, which is obsession, addiction, not letting goit's pretty much Slaanesh, temptations and sexual depravity along with the curse that is the hidden drawbacks to immortality. I'm actually a pretty great fan of that last one in spite of not really caring for vampires much, because there are aspects of itand a lot of others come to think of it that have real world applications such as outliving the people around you. I'm only in my mid 30s and it's already struck me within the last several years how utterly vampiric it feels to keep getting new pets and outliving them all. I've watched countless cats, dogs, and other small animals be born, grow up then live and die before me and before watching that cycle begin all over again. It feels almost like a stasis watching them go, and then looking back on some memory of an animal and realizing how much that's actually in the hoary distant past in comparison to their own lifespans. It may not have actually been all that long ago for me but thinking about some of our animals it feels like looking at their ancestors in the French Revolution.

But anyways was it silly, yes, but was it legitimately schlocky, no I don't think so. It truth it had some sincerely operatic qualities and I thought that tale of love and loss and bitter ends to romance and his movement from a devout Christian crusader to his utter rejection of God was fantastic but that's just because he's such a fantastic actor. Also I'm not sure she acted well enough but reminds me how Ryder was truly a classic love interest of 90s childhood films.

If you actually want a pretty good one I honestly enjoyed Interview with the Vampire. That also focused much more on the theme of forbidden romance and lusts though, with the vampirism standing in much more for homosexuality. I seem to recall it was a woman's film in my childhood though I'm unclear how much women would fantasize about "muh two guys" like men tend to with two women. Them having that kid embraced was clearly showing how it was all about gay people so I'm surprised more people didn't bitch about it and muh religious morals or maybe I don't remember.

Regardless I liked Dracula and thought it did what it needed to even if the middle kinda went to shit and silliness at times and liked Interview with the Vampire in spite of it essentially being a Hollywood standin for teh gay, although in the latter's case it's probably just because of a combination it was so well acted with good character development and actually bothered with tracking them across the centuries which is something surprisingly few pieces of vampire fiction ever do. Most of them have this real dumb "introduce the vampire" shit that only lasts for like a few weeks rather than exploring their condition, which is likewise what's so super disappointing about Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption because it did literally what no other game has done and split it between completely different eras and not only that but actually tracked you prior to the embrace complete with multiple sets of abilities for Crusader human, dark ages vampire, and 1990s tech vampire, but then fucks it all up but having one of the shittiest goddamn stories I ever seen in a game with no character development. God, what a completely wasted potential VtM:R was.
>>
No. 50373
>>50371
Eh, I don't know. How many vampire films have you watched? Or were you only talking about 90s stuff?

I mean, the exploration of vampiric condition was done a lot better in Herzog's Nosferatu, which also conveyed the loneliness and general bleakness. In fact, Oldman's performance is really the only thing elevating his character. And
>his movement from a devout Christian crusader to his utter rejection of God was fantastic
Yeah, it was, but as you said, it was really just his performance. And it was merely the intro and then never really brought up again until the very finale. The rest of the movie was "bleh, my love" and her actually falling in love with him kinda flipped the original story on its head.

I haven't seen Interview though, always struck me as kinda gay, as you said - I mean, I was a teenager when Queen of the Damned came out, so Anne Rice always was the stuff fat goth girls like for me. Maybe I should give it (Interview) an try.

That said, I find your thoughts on pet's lifespans vs. your own rather interesting.
>>
No. 50407
>>50370
Ive heard that the Argies make good flicks, might have to check this out.
>>
No. 50416
>>50373
>Queen of the Damned
Now that was a really crappy movie. I believe the biggest reason that it gained some popularity is because that Hallelujah girl or what her name was died right around the time the movie came out, otherwise there's absolutely nothing interesting about it.
>>
No. 50420
>>50373
Most vamp stuff is the bleh my love. It's a really easy genre to make bad. Interview was just more psychologically interesting and a character study of what happens as you remain an unchanging blood sucker over the ages, how it warps and twists you. It's like how The Invisible Man is not about an invisible man at all and is more commentary on the nature of mortal life.
>>
No. 50448 Kontra
34 kB, 400 × 571
174 kB, 630 × 1200
>What we do in the Shadows
More vampires! Rewatched today for the nth time. Saw it on release in the cinema. It's still as hilarious as it was years ago.
It's a mockumentary about vampires living in a shared flat (house) and deals with the everyday life implications of vampirism and living together as vampires.
Taika Waititi does a rather good impression of a german accent, and his german is also not bad for an anglo. Stu is great, everybody loves him and so should you. There's no real overarching story, except they are preparing for a gathering of creatures of the night eventually and there is really not much to say about the music or whatever, it's more of a series of pretty funny skits strung together. SFX are better (or at least employed better) than modern Disneyshit.

>Shadow in the Cloud
First half could be good if it wasn't 90% "durr sexism" bullshit. After that and the big reveal the really, really dumb story completely falls apart. Nothing makes any sense anymore. Shooting a revolver in the direction of your baby out of a shaking airplane really isn't smart at all. And regular humans can't teleport in front of the batratmonkey just like she did before pummeling it. There is more outrageous stuff, but I won't talk about it any more.
I really didn't want to rant about woke shit or whatever, but holy shit, this was really over the top and it ends with such a powerful scene that I want to kill myself to make more air for all women on the planet.
I now know why Hollywood only makes remakes and sequels anymore - their "original" ideas are even dumber than anything else they could come up with.
This could have worked in the 80s as some kind of Ed Hunt C schlock, but in 2020 it's not even enjoyable in a trash kind of way. If you have seen the trailer, you have seen the interesting parts.
>>
No. 50466
>>50448
> Shadow in the Cloud
You actually watched it? I just looked at the IMDB page and read "supernatural shit happens on a plane" and then just decided that it wouldn't be worth my time.

If you are going to watch vampire movies you sooner or later have to watch "Låt den rätte komma in" not the poor excuse that is the "remake" for people who can't handle subtitles. Also "The lost boys" because it is not bad, not the best but it isn't bad and kind of entertaining.
>>
No. 50471
>>50466
Well, I have watched enough absolute trash in my life that I thought this one couldn't be THAT bad, and from the trailer it looked like stupid fun. At least the "stupid" was right. I mean the premise with a gremlin isn't too bad, and supernatural stuff on and airplane, or with an aircrew in the Pacific can also lend to cool stories. Remember that one segment from "Heavy Metal". But apart from those Twilight Zone episodes I really can't remember anything that properly dealth with the topic.
And I have seen "Låt den rätte komma in", nice film. My gf thought it was cute until I explained to her the implications of the ending, then I found out that the author himself apparently said that it was supposed to be a happy ending and not Oskar ending up like the vampire's former familiar.
>>
No. 50491
>>50448
It's even more hilarious if you've lived in New Zealand for a bit. Lots of very stereotypical stuff that makes it a little more absurd.
t. lived in New Zealand for a decade
>>
No. 50492
>>50491
...such as? I know basically nothing about NZ except sheep, LotR and c&a accent.
Additional information: I watched Flight of the Conchords and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
>>
No. 50493
>>50492
Hard to pin down exactly. It's just very kiwi in its presentation. Maybe I'm wrong and it carries across. It'd be like a German comedy that's funny but funnier because of the subtle 'germanness' of the whole thing if you recognise it.
>>
No. 50494
>>50493
Ah, I see. Stuff you only really "get" when you've actually been there, done that.
>>
No. 50499
>>50494
Yeah. I think a lot of it is the environment. The flat is almost stereotypical of a youth/student flat in New Zealand. Dated as fug and in bad condition, and that very specific type of building in particular is iconic in that role. Then the fish & chip shop is what every single one looks like, and the weird deserted feeling of the city at night is pretty accurate because the country just isn't that big. It's less an in-joke for those who know it, but rather the absurdity of the completely mundane (as opposed to merely mundane as in most urban fantasy) mixed with the fantastic being funny in its own right.
>>
No. 50506
>>50499
Ok, but that makes we wonder - was it a deliberate decision of the producers or IS IT JUST LIKE THAT? I mean, could they have chosen some more glamorous inner-city apartments or another chip shop or something?
Like, if in Germany you would try to show how older people live, you wouldn't have to go far or do a lot, just ring a bell, get entrance and you're standing in dark wood furniture, maybe a corner bench, plates on the wall etc., so it wouldn't be something you'd have to make up or go hunting for for a long time.
>>
No. 50509
This looks like a great recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWk4YtK-iHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKL1gFCS54
>we are vampires we don't do dishes!
>>
No. 50512
>>50506
Flat's made up. It's a stereotype dialed all the way up, and then with some gothic influence sprinkled on it. Enough there to send the message but it's definitely a set regardless. Most actual youth flats where I was from were just damp, cold shitholes from the 30s that weren't renovated since the 60s and 70s.

The fish and chip shop wouldn't be a set up. That shit's ubiquitous. It's how they all look, even the ones trying to be trendier.
>>
No. 50632
>>50509
It is indeed a great movie, my favorite comedy of the past decade. It also has high user rating on IMDB which is rare for comedies. I only don't understand why they picked the name Vladislav, which is a Slavic name, not Romanian. The Romanian Dracula was not called Vladislav but Vlad because he is, obviously, not a slav. -slav is the slav only suffix.
>>
No. 50637
>>50632
>implying anglos can differentiate balkanites, slavs, etc.
Also, the german vampire's name was Viago. No german is called Viago. Just don't think too much about it.
>>
No. 50809
>Altered States is a 1980 American science-fiction horror film directed by Ken Russell based on the novel of the same name by playwright and screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky. The film was adapted from Chayefsky's only novel, published in 1978, and is his final screenplay. Both the novel and the film are based in part on John C. Lilly's sensory deprivation research conducted in isolation tanks under the influence of psychoactive drugs like mescaline, ketamine, and LSD.

Let me tell you: this movie is fucked up, well what would you expect if one decides to dive into the human mind and tries to understand consciousness via psychoactive drugs? Nonetheless it's a good movie, it depicts quite some beauty, but also shows what kind of horrors reside within our minds. Because the movie focuses so much on the journey of the protagonist into his mind, you can get an exquisite picture of his character. I originally was alerted to this movie's existence by the album "Streetcleaner" by the band Godflesh. The cover art is from the aforementioned movie.
>>
No. 50810
291 kB, 1300 × 1733
110 kB, 1920 × 1080
57 kB, 1280 × 720
52 kB, 1280 × 720
>>50809
Oh fuck, forgot some pictures.
>>
No. 50811
85 kB, 600 × 600
317 kB, 2027 × 1147
86 kB, 1194 × 889
239 kB, 2037 × 1368
>Reds is a 1981 American epic historical drama film, co-written, produced, and directed by Warren Beatty, about the life and career of John Reed, the journalist and writer who chronicled the Russian Revolution in his 1919 book Ten Days That Shook the World. Beatty stars in the lead role alongside Diane Keaton as Louise Bryant and Jack Nicholson as Eugene O'Neill.

After I watched "Altered States" I became more interested in the work of screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky who also contributed to "Reds". As I am already quite interested in the history of the Russian Revolution, this was a fun watch. But it wasn't life changing or anything, so if you're interested in the matter, it's a definite recommendation, if not, then don't watch it unless you're interested in the work of Chayefsky.
>>
No. 50817
228 kB, 500 × 704
226 kB, 630 × 1200
I did a strange double feature yesterday.

The Producers (1967)
Comedy about a sleazy producer and his neurotic accountant trying to stage the worst play ever to scam their investors. I'm not a huge comedy fan but liked this one, it's a deserved classic.

Color Out of Space (2019)
Horror based on a story by HP Lovecraft. It's quite good, solid visual FX, usual zany performance by Nicolas Cage, and IMO it manages to stay really Lovecraftian rather than just using the setting to convey a "normal" horror story.
>>
No. 50818
>>50817
Do you read a lot of Lovecraft? Not trying to start shit, but the word "lovecraftian" is thrown around rather carelessly on the internet in these times.
>>
No. 50821 Kontra
>>50818
Nope, but have you watched the movie?
>>
No. 50831 Kontra
>>50821
Nah, that's why I'm asking. I am totally in for some actual lovecraftian stuff, but considering Nic Cage is really hit or miss these days I'd like to know beforehand if it's worth it.
>>
No. 50838
>>50831
I think it qualifies as actually Lovecraftian--they update the story into a modern setting, but keep a lot of it intact, and there is even dialogue/narration drawn directly from the original story.

I wouldn't say that it's a masterpiece of cinema or anything, but I thought it was fun.
>>
No. 50839
>>
No. 50889
844 kB, 2000 × 3000
223 kB, 1660 × 933
356 kB, 1500 × 964
89 kB, 1920 × 1032
>The Last Temptation of Christ is a 1988 religious drama film directed by Martin Scorsese. The film depicts the life of Jesus Christ and his struggle with various forms of temptation including fear, doubt, depression, reluctance and lust.

Disclaimer: I am not Christian, so I was at first not really sure if this movie would be for me, but as I started watching it, I came to the conclusion that "The Last Temptation of Christ" belongs to the exclusive list of movies that everyone should watch at least once in his lifetime. As already mentioned in the summary, the movie tells a fictional story of Jesus's struggles. I think creating a work of fiction rather than rely upon the gospels was a reasonable step as Christ becomes through that more accessible to the viewers. In my opinion this movies depicts the archetypal Religious experience. And with religious I don't mean necessarily Christian. The movie is about a man struggling with his relationship to God. And I think everyone can relate to that, however we call the thing we believe in. The movie is very well made with a great cast and beautiful shots, it even has its moment of tension and thrill. This is a definite recommendation by me, if you haven't watched it yet!
>>
No. 50890
778 kB, 2000 × 3000
358 kB, 1600 × 1191
254 kB, 1777 × 999
416 kB, 1200 × 864
>The Birds is a 1963 American natural horror-thriller film produced and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Loosely based on the 1952 story of the same title by Daphne du Maurier, it focuses on a series of sudden and unexplained violent bird attacks on the people of Bodega Bay, California, over the course of a few days.

Well, I guess "The Birds" is a true classic everyone already watched and a movie everyone talks about as a masterpiece. So I had to watch it too. I liked this movie a lot as I tend to do with subtle horror movies. You won't find any jump scares or brutality that makes this movie a good horror movie, it's about the horror of nature itself. The horror starts as quickly as it ends with no understandable reason, it's like a whim of nature. Hitchcock masterfully creates a setting for it while maintaining a story between the characters on the surface level. Don't expect too much from it, it's no epic, but a quick witted, short horror movie that definitely is worth the watch!
>>
No. 50892
>>50890
I especially liked the gas station scene. It was so... modern. Before you stone me, I generally don't think "modern" means better, but in such a movie, it felt differently than it would in a newer one, which makes it cool. Also, imo the special effect held up very very well.
Also also, fun fact: The girl is played by Veronica Cartwright, also known for Alien and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Also also also, my favorite Hitchcock film is Frenzy
>>
No. 50898
>>50892
>I especially liked the gas station scene. It was so... modern.
What was modern about that scene in your opinion?
>Also, imo the special effect held up very very well.
This is true. Sometimes I didn't know what was fake and when were real birds used.
>>
No. 50899 Kontra
>>50898
>What was modern about that scene in your opinion?
The way it was filmed, the aerial shot, the way suspense was built up. If a thriller in the 80s, 90s, 00s would shoot that exact scene shot for shot, it wouldn't feel out of place. I mean yeah, it was probably Hitchcock (and others) who influenced people in the first place, but I must admit I had only seen a single Hitchcock film (North by Northwest) until I was in my late 20s.
>>
No. 50918
37 kB, 391 × 593
I watched this movie just now and I'm kinda amazed because I don't know what to make of it. It's not a ~good~ movie really it's more like a film length episode of Desperate Housewives set in the southern USA but it manages to press some real human emotions out of me. It reminded me of a fairy tale in its core nature. I think I like this film.
>>
No. 50922
62 kB, 345 × 512
300 kB, 1000 × 1426
Got back into watching series.

Finally managed to finish The Sopranos, it took me a couple of attempts with the last season since it is so depressing to see the downfall of many of the characters. I was kind of depressed while watching it too, and I even did my yearly portion of "crying because of a fictional event" when AJ tried to drown himself in the pool and Tony had to get him out.
Anyhow, I suppose it doesn't have to be repeated but it's an absolute masterpiece. It can be both enjoyed rather superficially as a show about a gangster and his family but there's also lots of depth in it if you want to analyze further.

Now started watching Seinfeld since I want something for pure distraction. It's pretty funny despite some of the humor being dated (though maybe that's also comforting in a way), only issue I have is that there's too many scenes with uncomfortable social situations that make me cringe so hard I have to pause the episode for a while, or I need to do something else while watching. Anybody else have this?
>>
No. 50923
1,0 MB, 610 × 902
Mads Mikkelsen is great again. Movie is both funny and tragic, never predictable, emotional without being obtrusive.
>>
No. 50930
330 kB, 1188 × 668
>>50922
>too many scenes with uncomfortable social situations
I just had a flashback to the time I watched "The Contest" episode with my mother in the room. Getmeoutofhere.exe.
>>
No. 50932
>>
No. 50946 Kontra
>>50932
I never understood why people like Seinfeld. I still don't.
What exactly makes THIS funnier than any newer comedy show? It's the exact same shit, just that in a newer show he might have actually said the word or made the gesture.
>>
No. 50956 Kontra
>>50923
I watched the trailer after reading your post and it really made me want to see the movie. I'll probably watch it by the end of the week. Thanks!
>>
No. 50959
346 kB, 640 × 480, 0:05
>>50946
>What exactly makes THIS funnier than any newer comedy show?
Hard to define. A combination of great comedic actors, innovative storylines, and a long list of memorable supporting characters. And of course broad syndication permanently rooted the show in our collective cultural consciouness. In that regard Seinfeld is similar to The Honeymooners, or All in the Family. Funny? Yes, but also iconic, an example of the best from its own era.

Although, when trying to define the why of Seinfeld's enduring comedy, I'm reminded of this scene from The Cartoon episode. Maybe Seinfeld is like gossamer, and one shouldn't dissect gossamer.

Seinfeld: Elaine and The New Yorker editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1fSMUOzufI
>>
No. 50960 Kontra
>>50959
Alright, so it's popular because boomers found it funny. Kind of like Ein Herz und eine Seele in Germany.

Although I must admit, I chuckled at the scene you posted.
>>
No. 50973
9 kB, 259 × 194
67 kB, 450 × 335
https://vimeo.com/189813937

German with english subtitles.

It's more of a documentary but since it is an uncommented montage of scenes from various process steps within marketing and bigger investment driven commerce, I put it here for it's art character.

Overall I liked it. It plays with project management and the general scientification of shopping (as experience e.g.) all over the spectrum. The project steps are shown and the discussions as well, as a German ofc, the shit talking is more funny and interesting to see. As observer you dive into a rather strange world of business and marketing speak, the last scence about the right display of goods in super markt shelves is hilarious and absurd / rather comical. Maybe that is the whole point, after one hour these process and talks become so comical, these people seem like laughingstocks yet there is a certain uneasiness about how the "customer" is treated within these discussions, personal experience dissolves into more abstract marketing concepts and strategies to force consumtion. Increase sales with science!
>>
No. 51011
94 kB, 630 × 1200
70 kB, 700 × 394
A very good animation movie about a turbulent and colorful night on alcohol. I loved the movie and will definitely watch it again. Have a try!
>>
No. 51013
>>51011
It's not as good as Tatami Galaxy, but it's still really fucking good.
I love the animation. It truly makes it feel like you're watching an night festival that goes on forever.
>>
No. 51066
>>50923
Not what I expected.
Worth a watch
>>
No. 51102
>>50923
It was really great, thanks for sharing.
>>
No. 51108
105 kB, 220 × 326
Story about a woman taking revenge for the rape of her friend. Very fresh and reasonably provocative imho.
>>
No. 51110 Kontra
>>51108
What genre? Just rape-and-revenge stuff? Or like Hard Candy? Or actually good?
>>
No. 51113 Kontra
>>51110
Sorry, I did not clarify. Drama/black comedy thriller
>>
No. 51243
235 kB, 708 × 1086
41 kB, 1130 × 554
256 kB, 623 × 896
I watched the first season of Happy!, a drama/black comedy. The premise was simple enough- cop, who has gone bad, goes good again and takes on the criminal underworld. In this case he is assisted by an imaginary friend, the titular blue unicorn Happy.

Verdict: good, not great. The sadistic world portrayed was simply overwhelming, and attempts to ease the tension with humor failed to do so. The central crime involves children, and that's a hard load to lighten. This SYFY series was based on a comic book of the same name, which I read afterward. That also portrayed a sinister world of unspeakable crimes, but the television series- forced to stretch 4 issues into 8 episodes- spends much more time exploring the depravity of the antogonists. Unfortunately that time did not translate into understanding; there is no sympathy for the devil here. Only irredeemable men in a corrupt world, and a good guy with a gun. And also his imaginary friend.
>>
No. 51245 Kontra
>>51243
Frankly, I liked it. I even watched it around Christmas some time ago, and I really liked it for its insane everything. For me, regarding its overall style, it's the spiritual successor to Crank (one of the Crank directors was involved here), and that's right my thing. Yeah, the theme is pretty dark, overall, but the crazy violence does a good job of making me not concentrate too much on it. I heard the second season sucks though.
>>
No. 51250
2,4 MB, 2048 × 1558
Fuck i miss the various video rental stores. At least i could make up my mind and pick something that i actually will watch. I cannot make up my mind with modern streaming services, too much choice for my 89IQ brain to handle.
>>
No. 51264
>>51243
I had no problems to digest it because it was just over the top all around. I liked it and I agee: Good but not great. Watch it whenever you run out of ideas on what to watch.
>>
No. 51265 Kontra
>>51250
imdb and other platfoms don't help much when it comes to tv shows since anything get's rated beyond 9/10 which doesn't make sense. I don't know why.
>>
No. 51267
39 kB, 300 × 300
>>51265
It's because such things are entirely decided by the corporate department of bydlo and marketing.
>>
No. 51275
>>51245
>I heard the second season sucks though.
Yeah, I read a couple reviews for season two and both mentioned a weak story. It's set around Easter, so they decided to stick with the holiday theme.

>>51264
>Watch it whenever you run out of ideas on what to watch.
Funny you should say that, since that's how I ended up watching it. I was checking Netflix for the first time in weeks, and hoping to find Better Call Saul season 5. No luck, which left me randomly scrolling before landing on Happy!.
>>
No. 51293
79 kB, 650 × 960
120 kB, 1302 × 729
The Leftovers

Watched the first season, fairly unique story about the consequences of 2% of the human population suddenly disappearing on one day and the various ways in which the "leftover" people deal with it.
It takes a couple episodes to get going, but it's quite good so far.

>>51011
Seen it in the cinema when it came out, extremely fun. I'd recommend Masaaki Yuasa's other works (esp Mind Game) too if you liked it, though his recent stuff wasn't that great.
>>
No. 51296
>>51293
I remember liking the book quite a lot but finding that the show failed to represent the ideas of the original properly.
>>
No. 51315
>>51293
I really need to finish this series. I was really attracted to Carrie coons character.
>>
No. 51325
I’ve been watching the Martin Beck films, the series has gone for 40 years but is the lesser known nordinoir compared to Wallander.

Do Ernsts watch Swedish cop movies?
>>
No. 51363
>>51325
Only Kopps.

Technically the newer Beck movies are just based on the character by Sjöwall/Wahlöö although from what I remember they didn't have anything against it.

But if you want recent check out the series Tunna blå linjen when it airs in Finland. So far so good.
>>
No. 51772
381 kB, 1599 × 1600
I finished the first season of twin peaks today. I’m not quite a series enjoyer but I liked every aspect of this one. I heard the two next seasons aren’t worth watching so I’ll head to the movie.
I wonder if you have all seen it here. If it’s the case, what was your favorite character?
>>
No. 51773
>>51772
Dale of course, how can you not like him.
>>
No. 51775
>>51772
>favorite character
Damn, that's a tough one. I guess it's Coop for the male character, although I also like Pete, agent Rosenfield (I like Miguel Ferrer since Hot Shots Part Deux; I think he's a really underused actor) and even Leland (because Ray Wise is frigging awesome), and Audrey for a female (I'm still pissed off that they scrapped her romance with Coop subplot), with Catherine Martell being close second (Piper Laurie really outdid herself there).

Funny, but this series is mostly nostalgic for me because of its ultra-cozy opening. Back in the 1994 (I think), when they first showed it on TV here, while my grandpa and grandma were always discussing the plot and wondered who really killed Laura Palmer, I, a five-years-old kid who stayed at my grandparents on school holidays, just didn't care about all that stuff and only watched the opening, and after it ended, I just got back to playing with a cat.
>>
No. 51782
>>51363
>Tunna blå linjen
Thanks, will check it out.
>>
No. 51831
58 kB, 300 × 231
29 kB, 500 × 335
I went on a Peter Nestler-binge today. Peter Nestler is a German filmmaker who did documentaries in the 1960s. Many of his films carefully analyze a certain sociotop. There is little to no third-party narration, instead the depicted persons do a voice over, or texts written by themselves are read by a professional speaker. That makes the protagonists acting subjects instead of mere objects of our observation. It conservers part of their personality much better, I think. Among the topics are a worker's club in Sheffield and a school in a Suisse village, with kids reading their essays. The second film, titled "Essays", is arguably the most endearing of Nestler's work. It is very hard not to like the pupils, each of whom is depicted as a genuine individual, and their caring young teacher.

Nestler shifted his focus closer to home in 1964, when he portrayed the small town of Ödenwaldstetten in the Swabian Jura. The work had been commissioned by the regional television station SWF, and the people at SWF did not like what they saw. At all. Having suisse village children speaking heavily accented German was bad enough. But he topped it off by depicting village life in their own area in a similar (benevolent, but realistic) light. After Ödenwaldstetten, Nestler was considered unemployable in Germany, as his movies were deemed unwatchable and unbearably leftist. In 1968, Peter Nestler emigrated to Sweden, where he worked for SR.

Ödenwaldstetten is close to my heart because it is shot near my hometown. The faces in this movie look very similar to the faces I saw around me when growing up. Many sentences being said in this movie could have been said exactly like that by old people in the 1980s, allthough by the 1980s, circumstances were very different.

The movie certainly has a leftist tinge, as it works hard to depict economical differences. We see old people working their fields with scythes and horses, we see workers in a sewing shop owned by Herr Stotz, who is claimed to "have money enough". We don't see it in the movie, but Herr Stotz, who passed away in 1987, was an avid car-collector. His collection is on display in a museum in Engstingen, see http://www.automuseum-engstingen.de/Startseite.html. Nestler tells us the hourly wages of all the workers. The Ödenwaldstetten depicted in this movie stayed like that for maybe another five years, at most. Life was changed considerably by an increase in commuters and the merging of small rural municipalities by the state government. Most importantly, it was not economical to continue small-scale farming operations. In 1960, 2/3 of Swabian farmers worked 5ha or less.

There is a downside to Nestler's style. Without an explanation, the films are increasingly misunderstood, as fewer and fewer people have the knowledge and cultural background to properly grasp their content. One example: a 2017 review of "Ödenwaldstetten", published in renowned German weekly die Zeit, contains the fragment
>Der Aussiedler, der als Existenzgründer deutsche Äcker umpflügt
a vague translation would
>The resettler who, as a founder of a new farm, plows the German soil
I translated the word "Aussiedler" with "resettler" here, but the term is not really adequate. In German, the word "Aussiedler" usually takes one of two very distinct meanings.
1.) Ethnic German immigrant from communist Eastern European countries. Much of Eastern Europe had had a seizable ethnic German minority for centuries.
2.) Farmer who moved his home and farm buildings from inside village to the open fields outside the village, to the middle of his own farmland. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussiedlerhof
From the context, it is obvious to me that the second meaning applies.
But in the article, the author takes the word "Aussiedler" to mean an ethnic German immigrant from Eastern Europe. Perhaps because he would love that village to be more multicultural than it was. Or maybe he simply does not know the second meaning. With Nestler's other films, I might be a victim to similar misinterpretations. Seemingly, these documents of the recent past will be barely comprehensible in one or two generations.

A non-jugemental non-interpreting capture of the past suffers from the paradox that it is indecipherable to future viewers, as memory becomes history. I can watch Ödenwaldstetten and get a sense of what life was like for these people. Others might be grossly mislead.

Anyways, here are a few links to Nestlers films, so Ernst can watch if he likes to.

With English subtitles
- Essays, about a school in the Suisse Simmental. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTv1XOYD94s
- Ödenwaldstätten, about a village in the Swabian Jura. Ignore the subtitles from 03:00 to 05:00, they are utter bunk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj81lSMTbCM
- many others available on this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tPV2AGU7blkgBSZE2SNPg

Without English subtitles
- About workers in Sheffield, unfortunately, you do not get mutch of the english original voices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6WJc3YJGU
- Work about the Ruhr area, a huge part is narration about the Ruhr revolution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMtPodP4_k

>>51772
>I finished the first season of twin peaks today. I’m not quite a series enjoyer but I liked every aspect of this one. I heard the two next seasons aren’t worth watching so I’ll head to the movie.
I watched it in about 2012 when it was still available on youtube. I don't have much memory of it. But I remember seeing part of an episode much, much earlier on TV, accidentally. From those 5-10 minutes, I considered it an American drama in the vain of Dynasty or Dallas, just with a saw mill instead of oil. Maybe Lynch uses an intriguing, but hard to decypher pastiche of TV-genres of yesteryear, or maybe I am just seeing things.
>>
No. 51832
27 kB, 340 × 554
15 kB, 785 × 432
>>51775
>Back in the 1994 (I think), when they first showed it on TV here, while my grandpa and grandma were always discussing the plot and wondered who really killed Laura Palmer, I, a five-years-old kid who stayed at my grandparents on school holidays, just didn't care about all that stuff and only watched the opening, and after it ended, I just got back to playing with a cat.
Agreed, the opening is golden. I wasn't allowed to watch it, but my cousins were. Of course I did not know it at the time, but the show had a heavy influence on the games we played. Instead of playing family, we played "Detective" and the plotlines were always very obscure.

I think I get that your grandparents did not like it, they probably were raised on plots that made sense and had a moral, preferrably socialist. If they are still alive, you can show them Eraserhead, it will change their opinion on TwinPeaks. They will see that David Lynch really outdid himself there ;)

By the way, only when I watched Twin Peaks in 2012 did I get what the Darkwing Duck episode with the cows was about.
>>
No. 51841
>>51832
>I think I get that your grandparents did not like it
As far as I remember, they actually loved it, it was something fresh and original compared to all the other stuff they aired on TV back then (Mexican, Brazilian and Argentinian soap operas plus Santa Barbara), and its plot, despite being pretty convoluted, is still very engaging. As for the morals, people, whether Soviet or not, don't really care about them, as long as the work itself is enjoyable.

>If they are still alive, you can show them Eraserhead
They aren't, unfortunately, and even if they were, I sure as hell wouldn't show it to them. Don't get me wrong, Eraserhead is actually my favorite Lynch movie, but it's not exactly a movie for everyone.
>>
No. 51847
>>51841
>As far as I remember, they actually loved it, it was something fresh and original compared to all the other stuff they aired on TV back then
Oh, sorry, I misread "discussing the plot" as "complaining about the plot". My grandparents would have hated it, but they did not watch it.

>Don't get me wrong, Eraserhead is actually my favorite Lynch movie, but it's not exactly a movie for everyone.
Oh that suggestion was a misguided German attempt at humor. To make sure it was recognizable as such, I added the ;). I kind of get why some people like the movie, but I think it makes for too much of an unpleasant experience to watch.
>>
No. 51849
>>51847
>Oh that suggestion was a misguided German attempt at humor. To make sure it was recognizable as such, I added the ;)
Forwarded this post to the Berlin staatsbibliothek so they can preserve this gem of internet german etiquette.
>>
No. 51871
554 kB, 720 × 400
37 kB, 720 × 400
180 kB, 1024 × 552
135 kB, 1024 × 552
I've been watching Lost, but currently lost interest at the beginning of the second season. I really like the way the characters all have their own backstories told through all the flashbacks but it's just getting in the way of advancing the main plot at this point.

Watched Fellini's 8 1/2, it was almost too painful too watch because most other movies just pale in comparison. It's more indulgent than La Dolce Vita as it deals with the modern condition of the artist in particular, but it's also even more artistic with its long scenes full of tracking shots & masterful blocking. Also I can't tell whether they actors are that great or they just used to naturally have more character.

>>51772
The second season is all over the place, most of the episodes had neither Lynch nor Frost involved iirc, but I still found it enjoyable. Just don't go in expecting it to go anywhere.
Fire Walk With Me is also interesting, it was Lynch's attempt to salvage the initial series though it ended up also being somewhat of a mess.
Third season is definitely worth watching, but it's very different & even more unhinged than the original.

>>51831
Looks v interesting, will check out
>>
No. 51878
>>51871
If I remember correctly, the main plot of Lost won't advance much until the 4th or so season, at which point you will have more open questions than ever and things start to get unreasonably absurd. I've watch it when it aired and lost interest in the middle of the last season... I've never watched the final few episodes.
>>
No. 51897 Kontra
>>51013
I finally watched Tatami Galaxy and I liked it a lot too. I think I preferred the movie anyway because it resonated with my first experiences on alcohol and expressed life in its wondrous forms. Also, the movie doesn’t wait 11 episodes to tell you that the wonders of life are all around and you just have to know to appreciate them and shows it to you directly through direct comparison between the night of the girl and the boy. And I also preferred the girl’s POV.
>>
No. 51968
112 kB, 1152 × 484
91 kB, 1280 × 544
79 kB, 1280 × 544
61 kB, 1052 × 448
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Great movie about two outlaws who struggle as the former Wild West becomes more civilized. Beautifully shot, extremely memorable and hilarious dialogue that keeps it entertaining and lighthearted as the tragic end draws near.

Battles Without Honor and Humanity (1973)
Stylish yakuza flick by Kinji Fukasaku (best known for Battle Royale). It seems to stay fairly true to the true events its based on, which is both interesting but also makes it somewhat less exciting and harder to follow due to so many characters being involved and many time skips.

Wild at Heart (1990)
In Lynch's own words: 'a really modern romance in a violent world – a picture about finding love in Hell'
Probably more fun to watch with friends, I found it a bit too goofy.
>>
No. 51969 Kontra
62 kB, 1052 × 448
84 kB, 1280 × 544
127 kB, 1152 × 484
137 kB, 1152 × 484
>>51968
couple more screencaps
>>
No. 51976
6,8 MB, 1280 × 720, 1:01
2,3 MB, 1280 × 720, 0:27
>>51968
>Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Yeah, that's a really cool and not very usual Western. Loved the heroes' shenanigans, and both Newman and Redford were absolutely awesome in their respective roles. The ending, although maybe not as crushing as the ending of The Wild Bunch, was still very powerful.

>Battles Without Honor and Humanity
I first found out about it from Poptepipic comic which parodied it. The anime managed the parody even better by adding that little music piece from the movie. I decided to check the movie out of curiosity and didn't really expect much, but it turned out to be a really good crime drama. They kinda got a bit over the top with all the murders near the end, IMO, but I guess those murders were meant to show that the yakuza life isn't all fun and games.

Speaking of Poptepipic parodies, I checked another movie thanks to them — Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo — and it was really nice too, a samurai flick with fights, intrigues, betrayals and Sonny Chiba; definitely worth a watch. I love it when popular works reference pretty obscure (in the West, at least, in the cases of Jingi naki Tatakai and Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo; they are probably much more famous in Japan) but still good stuff: it means that I can consume even more media and then scare people off more effectively with my foreign pop-culture erudition. :-DDDDDDDDDD
>>
No. 52009
87 kB, 450 × 594
53 kB, 480 × 640
Why are some genuinely good films like 12 Monkeys and Screamers so heavily underrated?

Likewise, why are some truly godawful movies like "World War Z" I say in quotes because it's not even vaguely reminiscent of World War Z by Brooks called "good"? It reminds me of that SJG rule about the Illuminati where they only allow intelligent or good media to exist so they can mock it and convince everyone else if you like X thing there's something wrong with you. I'm still baffled how that steaming piece of shit got high ratings on any review sites. CGI zombie tidal wave was atrocious. Meanwhile these other two movies are sincerely anywhere from good to great. It also just occurred to me the best way to write a film is probably to write a great book first, since 12 Monkeys is the only one not adapted or having its title ripped off from a book.
>>
No. 52019 Kontra
>>52009
No idea what kind of people you usually hang out with, but I don't know anyone who would even be interested in WWZ, and likewise almost everyone I know who has watched 12 Monkeys likes it. It's considered a classic.
>>
No. 52020
>>52009
I did not like very much 12 Monkeys to tell you the truth.
>>
No. 52042
>>52019
I swear every time I look at it the number changes. I remember it bombed badly in scores within a year or two of release. I then looked it up and shitposted about it on casey, which at the time had like 8/10 and 9/10 star ratings. Now
https://www.bing.com/search?q=rotten+tomatoes+world+war+z&qs=SC&pq=rotten+tomatoes+world+a&sk=SC1&sc=8-23&cvid=2298038ED1154618AA3C2FC313193F1A&FORM=QBRE&sp=2
bad scores again.

I feel like I'm having gaslighting being done either by reality or my own faulty memory, even though I directly remember talking about this years ago and people saying it was liked. Somehow they made a game about it.

As for who, well I don't know anyone personally either but keep in mind Big Bang Theory wasn't cancelled. I see just enough bydlo online and IRL to be reminded why I am ensconced in this autistic bubble to begin with, because I think other people are tasteless idiots.

>>52020
I'm actually curious whyin context of the above btw I'm not saying anyone is tasteless for not liking Xthing that I like, but for liking disasters like WWZ the movie, Big Bang Theory the sitcom, or caring about the Kardashians or whoever which to this day utterly mystifies me why it's talked about at allI think that if anything is proof of an IRL Picus pushing that for some obtuse conspiratorial reason

My personal opinion is the 80s and 90s had a wonderful amount of unsung scifi movies.
>>
No. 52043 Kontra
>>52042
jfc Ernst, talk to people irl from time to time and try to consume less media. Staying in your autistic bubble is NOT good, no matter how shitty of a taste outside people have.
How is it surprising that the stuff appealing to lowest common denominator is popular? Especially in the case of BBT and reality tv, it is women keeping them alive.

Also, while I like 12 Monkeys, I think Gilliam is extremely overrated. I think Brazil is at least one hour too long and also extremely boring, Parnassus and Don Quixote are ok but not worth a rewatch, Fear and Loathing is ok, Brothers Grimm is ironically nothing more like aforementioned lowest common denominator schlock and only Fisher King is actually good. Haven't seen his other (non-Python) stuff, but frankly, I am not really interested.

But I agree with your last sentence. I have warm feelings for those 90s scifi/cyberpunk stuff like Johnny Mnemonic, Strange Days, The 13th Floor, Dark City, etc.
>>
No. 52049 Kontra
Guess the movie:

>User Reviews

Sooooo entertaining!
30 August 2020 | by AKRob3 – See all my reviews
Aside from the unnecessary and gratuitous nudity, this is an excellent movie. We own it and enjoy watching it at least twice a year.
>>
No. 52064
>>52042
I'm more of a 70s fanboy but I get your idea completely: I dig almost all films from the period you mention. But not 12 Monkeys, go figure.
>>
No. 52091
148 kB, 1600 × 900
>>52049
>Guess the movie
User is AKRob3...so an American man, from the south.
>unnecessary and gratuitous nudity
Ok, he must mean male nudity.
>enjoy watching it at least twice a year.
So a movie that is not recent.
Not many movies come to mind, but Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story fits the bill. I'll guess that.
>>
No. 52092 Kontra
>>52091
How can you tell from the username that it's a southerner? Is that some injoke?
The rest of your assumptions are not entirely correct, though.
>>
No. 52097
>>52092
It's probably because we associate that with the kind of people that would think to complain about it in a review. I might personally skip over nudity scenes in a movie but that's just because it's a waste of my time that seldom serves any narrative purpose and is indeed gratuitous, however there's a certain stereotype about southerners and being religious and oh no this movie has a tiddy shot in it. At least, this is what I'd presume he meant by that, which I'd further extrapolate that he's a either a Yankee who doesn't realize that's a Midwest cornfarmer thing too, or himself a southerner making fun of his high holy roller hypocrite neighbors.
...I guess there's some ultra low key subtexts our own might sense that others would be oblivious to, unless I totally misread Ernst's implications.
>>
No. 52098 Kontra
>>52097
Ah, I see. I thought it was something about the username's composition. Like "AlabamaMan1488" or so.
Does anybody else want to try or should I solve?
>>
No. 52101
1,1 MB, 417 × 235, 0:02
>>52092
>How can you tell from the username that it's a southerner
I was mistaken. I was using the "AK" in the user name, which I thought was the State abbreviation for Arkasas. Nope, AK is Alaska.

>>52097
>At least, this is what I'd presume he meant by that
My postal code confusion aside, I did consider that the user's view on nudity may be motivated by religion. As a Yankee(yes, you were right about that. Raised in NY), I assumed that was further evidence that the user was from the south. Didn't realize that was a Midwest thing, too. So..TIL.
>>
No. 52105
>>52101
It's a common northerner trope to shit on the South (and justifiably so, if the literal third world country that is Texas is any indication) but it took me a long time to realize northerners just don't understand the Midwest is basically like an extension of the south, just colder and dryer. Like all those megachurches where do you think those things are? Most of the big Evangelical megachurches are midwest from Texas straight up into the Dakotas. It is different than the gossiping Bapstists and snakehandlers in the South, but it's still a pretty similar mentality especially when it comes to sex. If you're in NY even you could probably travel out to the boonies and find that. In fact my old pastor would make such remarks but he was also a born again and I got the impression he was a bit of a coomer and a car thief before he got Saved. Generally speaking it's an aversion to nudity that stretches from the south straight through the Midwest.

Personally like I said I just find it distracting and annoying, but far more of a monkish perspective than anything. I hate the fact I still watch porn and have such urges but it's a self power thing as much as detesting the porn industry. Other than that I just don't care and find the gratuitous nudity of Hollywood obnoxious although I've known quite a few people that will skip over or flat out not watch a movie if it's got a boob shot or sex scenes in it. Never really understood why they're like that tbh.
>>
No. 52125
>>52105
Maybe the answer lies in viewing memes and systems of memes as elements in evolutionary processes.

Could boob scenes be used for conditioning humans? You get to see boobies if you press the lever? It certainly works for oranges conditioning. What if I linked a certain propaganda message to attractive female nudes? Would that make men more likely to fall for it?

If that was the case, any believe system that teaches adherents to avoid nudity in media would stand an advantage because it implements a self-defence against this method counter-propaganda.
>>
No. 52128
>>52125
> What if I linked a certain propaganda message to attractive female nudes? Would that make men more likely to fall for it?
Uh yeah that's been pretty much the standard for war propaganda probably going all the way back to Helen of Troy. Women featured in wartime propaganda for a reason, usually coupled with some emotive response inducing thing like fear because the evil hun/viet/jap/russki/whoever savages are after some pretty woman. It's much more effective on really low IQ people though. It's a reason why that sort of thing is in so much poltard propaganda although there's some kind of weird mutt's law component to white female/black male thing they obsess over, and all that is without even the nudity.

More maliciously, you could probably deeply and permanently alter a person's sexuality with exposure to things like that. I suspect it's the root behind many paraphelias, from weird shit like giant women and foot fetishists to vore, furries, although in that latter case I suspect it had something to do with Disney, maybe even the allegations of sexual subliminal imagery in Disney movies. I've long suspected a subset of alleged trannies started out that way too from consuming porn in the limewire days, trap porn, watching lesbian porn etc.

Also more maliciously some occultists and forms of black magicians use it because they think it powers their sigils or some shit. I've actually seen threads where someone put sigils as a waterwark and then spammed porn boards with it, resulting in people coming to other forums asking what is this thing because apparently the guy was trying to steal their energy from jacking off to empower his sigil. Or something like that. I suppose it could likewise become subliminal or an associative trigger. More benignly, it's part of the art of seduction and scent that likely any woman knows, and any man worth his salt knows.

In terms of films though it really just comes down to the producers/directors/whoever trying to see some more actress tiddies.
>>
No. 52135
1,3 MB, 800 × 1059
An essay by Scorsese on Fellini & the current state of cinema: https://harpers.org/archive/2021/03/il-maestro-federico-fellini-martin-scorsese/
It's really quite depressing

>Fellini’s absolute visual mastery began in 1963 with 8½, in which the camera hovers and floats and soars between inner and outer realities, tuned to the shifting moods and secret thoughts of Fellini’s alter ego, Guido, played by Marcello Mastroianni. I watch passages in that picture, which I’ve gone back to more times than I can count, and still find myself wondering: How did he do it? How is it that each movement and gesture and gust of wind seems to fall perfectly into place? How is it that it all feels uncanny and inevitable, as in a dream? How could every moment be so rich with inexplicable longing?
>Everything has changed—the cinema and the importance it holds in our culture. Of course, it’s hardly surprising that artists such as Godard, Bergman, Kubrick, and Fellini, who once reigned over our great art form like gods, would eventually recede into the shadows with the passing of time. But at this point, we can’t take anything for granted. We can’t depend on the movie business, such as it is, to take care of cinema. In the movie business, which is now the mass visual entertainment business, the emphasis is always on the word “business,” and value is always determined by the amount of money to be made from any given property [...]

>>51976
>Loved the heroes' shenanigans, and both Newman and Redford were absolutely awesome in their respective roles.
For sure, I already liked Newman from Cool Hand Luke, gotta watch more movies with Redford too

>Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo
Looks cool, also directed by Fukasaku I see
>>
No. 52137
139 kB, 931 × 879
>>52135
>Scorsese
Typical case of "old man yells at clouds". He should go with the times.
>>
No. 52139
>>52137
>all that capeshit
I think this is a troll

>>52135
> We can’t depend on the movie business, such as it is, to take care of cinema. In the movie business, which is now the mass visual entertainment business, the emphasis is always on the word “business,” and value is always determined by the amount of money to be made from any given property [...]
This is the closest approximation in two sentences for why I started turning against Capitalism so hard. Art is the intersection of the sacred with the profane; it is the mastery of pulling the ephemeral into the Real. Watching it get systematically destroyed like that in worship of pointless blind profit fills me with a Kampf tier rage.
>>
No. 52140 Kontra
>>52139
Capitalism schmapitalism. Germany has a tax-financed movie industry that mainly produces politically correct feminist woke dramas. They never turn a profit and still don't have any value. The only people who watch that crap watch it for wokeness-releated reasons, not out of cineastic interest.
>>
No. 52141
>>52139
As far as I know the original maker of that picture meant it, with how butthurt Marvel fans got because Scorsese called their favorite product a theme park and denied its artistry.
>>
No. 52142
>>52137
Sort of right about the right part but left may me described just as "garbage". They are actually not movies, but videocomicses. The trash that replaced 80s cartoons to sell toys.
>>
No. 52143
>>52142
> but left may me described just as "garbage"
True, and what fascinates me most is those people that are well aware that it is trash and still continue watching. They are hyped about the next instance of Captain Tightpants, go to the cinema, realize that it is shit, and 3 weeks later they unironically get hyped again for the start of Bragirl vs Evildoers 3.

Normally, I woudn't be one to talk, since I frankly enjoy being entertained by trash myself at times, but the difference seems to be that I am well aware that things are trash, so I'm rarely disappointed. Those guys always seem to expect great movies, and this is byond my comprehension, since even for someone who doesn't follow movies at all, it was obvious that this capeshot stuff at some point was at best just conveyor belt material without any redeeming values.

I was forced to watch a few of them. I remember Deadpool to be half decent, but then there was another I don't even remember the name of, I just remember a very shitty Joker cameo and a hot looking but annoying Harley Quinn-grill. The rest was so bad I can't even remember it, it wasn't even the funny kind of bad, it was just... bad bad.
>>
No. 52145
>>52142
Videocomics is really pushing it. Even Sin City was a good movie on its own with great artistry. I don't like comic books but recognize once in awhile you get a Spider Jerusalem and while it may not be the next Ulysses by Joyce it still is not at that level of videographic shitpost as capeshit, some pre-wrapped manufactured bubblegum pop, mumblerap, same 80s synths or whatever you can do over and over same thing for literally decades with no talent just to make money. It's like the visual equivalent of a sad cheap handjob in an alley behind a Asian parlor, but even that is too high browed a comparison because you can still create Burroughs or Bukowski-esque art from such filth, but none grow here. It is a giant mat of plastic lawn turf manufactured from old tires and it's giving the children cancer.
>>
No. 52158 Kontra
>>52143
Heh, I know such people, too.
Although they are not "Marvel fans". Those are the ones comparing Avangers Endgame to the Illiad.
>>
No. 52314
196 kB, 1920 × 1080
225 kB, 1920 × 1080
96 kB, 1024 × 576
233 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Crossroads. It's a pretty good road/music movie about Eugene Martone, a naive guitarist kid who's obsessed with blues and sets to find the lost song of an influential Delta bluesman Robert Johnson, record it and get famous. He finds an old harmonica player Willie Brown who he believes knew Robert Johnson personally, and after some persuasion Willie agrees to teach him the song, but on the condition that Eugene will take him to his home in Mississippi.

The movie is mostly about blues, it has a pretty good soundtrack, and the last guitar duel between Eugene and Steve Vai Jack Butler is epic, but unfortunately it is spoiled quite a bit by Ralph Macchio's (who played Eugene) atrocious acting. Jami Gertz, who played Eugene's love interest Frances, is not particularly good either, but she has much less screentime and she didn't really have to do much apart from being pretty anyway. Still, the film is enjoyable, and people who don't really care much about blues (like myself) will like it.
>>
No. 52523
28 kB, 672 × 368
13 kB, 672 × 368
58 kB, 672 × 368
48 kB, 672 × 368
Pretty cool looking sci-fi flick about the titular antagonist fighting against a female bounty hunter, and two earthling electricians who get involved by accident.
The props and effects were really well done, especially all the aesthetics of Zeiram with some eerie music playing whenever he appeared. However it falls a bit flat in terms of the sluggish plot and somewhat slow paced & low impact action sequences, as well as the awkward acting from the two electrician guys, however intentional that might be. Also a bit disappointing how weak the antagonist appears in some scenes despite being alluded to having a power level of over 87 (which is a lot apparently).
Would still recommend if you don't mind some B-movie characteristics.

>>52314
Kinda looks familiar, might've seen it on TV some time
>>
No. 52533
>>52523
So that's where that creepy gif comes from! I kinda hoped that it was from a horror, but it seems more like in line with something like Meatball Machine. Kinda disappointed.
>>
No. 52630
251 kB, 1609 × 905
189 kB, 1609 × 905
177 kB, 1609 × 905
265 kB, 1609 × 905
Watched Tenshi no Tamago. It's an animated film by Mamoru Oshii who later would become famous for Ghost in the Shell. A little girl walks around a devastated city and carries an egg which she intends to keep until it hatches. Later she encounters a mysterious man with a cross-shaped weapon who is curious what's inside the egg. There is not much plot aside of that, and the dialogues are very few (the longest one is actually more of a monologue, with the man telling the story of Noah's Ark, but with a dark twist) and don't make much sense, but that is unimportant, because the main appeal of the cartoon is its amazing visuals. It's basically a surrealist painting in animated form, and despite that everything in the city is dead, it still manages to be absolutely beautiful. I would recommend checking it out if you like dark post-apocalyptic landscapes, but be warned that the pacing is terribly slow, so if you have ADHD, you will be bored to death in the very first minutes.
>>
No. 52686
54 kB, 1280 × 720
210 kB, 1920 × 808
153 kB, 1920 × 808
105 kB, 960 × 720
Watched the first three Evangelion "rebuild" movies in anticipation of the belated release of the final movie.
I liked them, especially after I read up a bit on interpretations, but I'm a bit disappointed by the digital animation style, would've loved something more experimental like in the last episodes of the series & End of Evangelion.
I also think they could've benefitted from each being a half hour or so longer since despite being kinda-sorta remakes, the 2nd and 3rd movies make fairly little sense if you're not acquainted with the series already.

Shin Godzilla (2016)
Anno's remake of the Japanese classic. I liked it in terms of the visuals & cinematography (which was definitely inspired by his work in anime), but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that the movie is more of a political drama/thriller than about the eponymous monster. There's some interesting commentary on Japan's foreign relations, but the plot never really gets to the point of being exciting & the characters are rather forgettable.
Seems like Anno got tired of all the psychological bullshit after making Evangelion :D

I Vitelloni (1953)
Fellini's semiautobiographical drama about five small town slackers in Italy who yearn for something bigger in their lives but end up sabotaging themselves. Less exciting than his later more surreal movies, but still great.

>>52630
Oh, it's great, I really need to rewatch it.
Have you seen Cat Soup btw? It's halfway between Angel's Egg and Poputepipikku I'd say :D
>>
No. 52689
>>52686
>but I'm a bit disappointed by the digital animation style, would've loved something more experimental like in the last episodes of the series & End of Evangelion.

Do you mean the liveaction scenes flickering in? I hated that, it was annoying and served no purpose. But then I hated the whole of Evangelion so take that how you will.
>>
No. 52700
>>52686
>Have you seen Cat Soup btw? It's halfway between Angel's Egg and Poputepipikku I'd say :D
Yep, I have, both the series and the OVA, pretty long ago, though. I remember the former being fucked up, and the latter being plain weird (what the hell is with that transparent elephant anyway?). It's the kind of artsy cartoons that young animufags watch at the dawn of their animufaggotry (as it was in my case) because it's sorta "original" and "creative". Old, jaded and cynical animufags don't care about all that artsy-fartsy nonsense and just stuff themselves with haremshit and isekais instead. XDDDDDDDDD Still, Cat Soup really is a quite interesting cartoon, I gotta say.
>>
No. 52750
131 kB, 1491 × 2048
I watched "She Is The Ocean" today and can recommend it. It's a documentary on the lighter side but provides a nice up and down of emotions. At times you feel great sympathy for the people, at times you feel their pain, but overall it's just a wholesome feeling that you are left with.

Don't expect a Herzog-style documentary, it's light. Most importantly though, there isn't much preaching or "in your face" content.
>>
No. 52826
45 kB, 1152 × 480
143 kB, 1920 × 804
234 kB, 1920 × 804
158 kB, 1920 × 816
Did a bit of bingewatching over the weekend since I was kinda depressed.

The Social Network (2010)
Decided to watch it since I've seen some of Sorkin's teaching on screenwriting. Usually not a fan of biopics but this one was pretty good due snappy dialogues & editing. Also liked Andrew Garfield. Cinematography's nothing to write home about.

Monster Hunter (2020)
Trashy, but surprisingly entertaining once it gets through the rather dull first half.

Star Wars Episode IV
Yep, I finally succumbed and watched it. What can I say, it's good, makes me wish I could've seen it when it came out though, without all the cultural baggage connected with the franchise now.

>>52700
Oh, didn't even know there was a series.
>Old, jaded and cynical animufags don't care about all that artsy-fartsy nonsense and just stuff themselves with haremshit and isekais instead.
I mean, kinda same story here, except I mostly just watch older stuff like Gundam or read manga nowadays
>>
No. 52827 Kontra
72 kB, 1024 × 576
1,5 MB, 1280 × 720
149 kB, 1280 × 720
36 kB, 656 × 400
cont'd.

Dial M for Murder (1954)
Well crafted, but too claustrophobically play-like & constructed for my taste.

Russian Ark (2002)
This was really up my alley. Shot in one take, it follows a snobbish aristocrat & a confused first person narrator as they walk through various rooms of the Eremitage, landing in different periods of Russian history. There's very little plot, but the ending is beautifully melancholic.

Beau Travail (1999)
Poetic cinema, as they say. Slow, methodical. It's really not as gay as many reviewers would like you to believe :D
>>
No. 52833
130 kB, 1024 × 576
>>52827
>>52827
>Russian Ark (2002)
oh yeah I watched the film in the cinema and I really liked it, the "one take" was impressive. And thx because I forgot its name.

Pic: I'm watching the first season. It's good! Too much "sex because yes" IMHO but well.
>>
No. 52834
>>52826
>I mostly just watch older stuff like Gundam or read manga nowadays
I myself prefer moeshit, slice-of-lifes and comedies. I mentioned haremshit and isekais because they are hugely popular among Jap animufags; I rarely watch the former and absolutely hate the latter (unless it happens to be a comedy like Konosuba).
>>
No. 52911
>>52833
I dropped it halfway through the second or third season but I can't remember why
>>
No. 52947
73 kB, 720 × 480
48 kB, 720 × 480
301 kB, 779 × 480
161 kB, 1920 × 816
The Cremator (1969)
Quite an odd comedy about a Czech cremator and familyman, until the laughter starts to get stuck in your throat. Surely on of the best holocaust movies, as it deals with the subject in a very indirect fashion.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Rather worse than the first one, IMHO. Whatever mannerisms of the characters were endearing in Episode IV start to get annoying here. The goofy ass green muppet gremlin had me laughing at least.

>>52833
> And thx because I forgot its name
You're welcome, I'd also recommend checking out other movies by the director (Alexander Sokurov)
>>
No. 52949
>>52947
>Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
>Rather worse than the first one, IMHO.

Dunno, that's my favorite Star Wars movie. The first one seems a bit primitive and unbuilt, the Return of the Jedi is predictable and has quite a lot of questionable stuff like Ewoks. Prequels are inferior to the original trilogy, and I haven't seen Disney movies, but from what I've heard, they aren't really worth watching anyway, so for me The Empire Strikes Back is the bestest SW movie ever.
>>
No. 52951
209 kB, 1600 × 1200
344 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,4 MB, 1325 × 646
438 kB, 1920 × 1440
>>52949
This is the best movie technically and by execution, it is a high budget quality made Holywood movie with great story logic and plot points. However, it lacks an atmosphere of the original, where still young Lucas influenced by the science fiction of the time and french comic books tried to build an actual universe, an adventure into the unknown where you are constantly feel that scale of universe is much bigger beyond what you see. Not to say how much it was redone and cut, it adds a lot to the mystery. Episode 5 was made too by the numbers. It is too streamlined and gives not much interesting outside of what it shows and tells to you directly.

Episode 6 suffered both from lack of budget for initial plans and then from Lucas's impotence. Change from the Sullust to Endor, which was based on holiday special Kashyyk concepts, then cut everything fun from those concepts like 10m giant yeti monsters, lame space battle where was almost no action, heavy re-use of EP4 and EP5 props for ships. In some ways, it grounded down movie logic a bit and shown that it is an actual universe with already established rules, but it does not work as an ending for a trilogy of escalating movies. And Jabba's palace is mostly cringe with overly cartoony crap.
>>
No. 52953
36 kB, 488 × 358
>>52911
I think it's exceedingly difficult to maintain interest, there's too much competition. "Broadwalk" is based in a real story, I saw a documentary in the same DVD*. OTOH I appreciate the series because Mr. Buscemi, the first time I watched it was in this film in pic, and I thought "what a rat face". So now, in this show this "rat face" shows lots of class, and that's one of the reasons I dig cinema ^^

>>52947
neat, thanks for the recommendation. Up to now I have to get rid of more DVDs because I have too much of them. 3 DVD for one euro, go figure,
man

>>52951
are that illustrations from the 70s?

>>
No. 52955
423 kB, 2560 × 1600
1,4 MB, 1317 × 652
1,5 MB, 1312 × 664
197 kB, 1920 × 1080
>>52953
Yea, concept art for Episode 4 from Ralph Mcquarrie
>>
No. 52966
2,7 MB, 2829 × 1399
>>52955
That artwork is incredible. That was talent. I recall the artists from Alien and Blade Runnner... Syd Mead?

I personally think that the best decade in terms of cinema or something like that were the 70s. Very artsy, very apocalyptic, very punk.
>>
No. 52971
1,3 MB, 1327 × 649
1,2 MB, 1359 × 605
124 kB, 736 × 1148
114 kB, 800 × 660
>>52966
This artist worked on the whole Original trilogy and even some expanded universe stuff, and also other 70s-80s science fiction, like 1978 Battlestar galactica.
>>
No. 53051
286 kB, 624 × 464
52 kB, 704 × 400
51 kB, 720 × 496
41 kB, 720 × 496
Did another deranged triple-feature on the weekend.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Wholesome stuff, made me cry like a bitch. Great social commentary, too, though I suppose it might seem somewhat trite from our cynical modern perspective.

Gremlins 2
Had to go for something more light-hearted afterwards & this was a great choice. Extremely ebin movie, very creative & fun. One of my favorite scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAUAA8jkF4k

Mirror (1975)
Some Tarkovsky for dessert, why not. Tried watching this years ago, but didn't make it past the five minute mark. Great experience, but also leaves me wanting for more, like it's missing something (or maybe I missed something). That's how I feel about most of his movies but Andrei Roublev.

>>52971
These are awesome, more gritty looking than the movies.

>>52949
Yeah, I can understand that, but I guess I prefer the more straightforward plot & satisfying climax of the first.
>>
No. 53245
73 kB, 720 × 480
135 kB, 1280 × 692
73 kB, 700 × 478
Nobody else watching movie, huh? Well, I'm doing my part :D

Go, Go Second Time Virgin (1969)
Low budget japanese arthouse about a strange relationship between a suicidal girl who's been raped & a boy who turns out to be a murderer. I was annoyed by the artifically seeming "artsiness", i.e. the repetitive dialogue at some point, but there were still some cool visuals & a really great soundtrack. Also it's mercifully short & an interesting insight into Japanese counter culture.

Cape Fear (1991)
Greatest thriller I've seen in a while, DeNiro's role is extremely memorable. There's a couple of goofy scenes & I feel like there was some lost potential in the writing, but it was still an absolute joy to watch. The scene when DeNiro's character meets the girl in the school theater was an absolute masterpiece of suspense. Gotta watch the original from the 60s some time.

Ran (1985)
Rather disappointed by this one considering how highly it's rated. Unquestionably great visually & an impressively epic scope, set, costumes etc., but the story just drags on and is diappointingly witless when compared with Shakespeares' King Lear (on which it is based).

Titicut Follies (1967)
Documentary about a hospital for the criminally insane in America. No commentary, just footage & some suggestive editing. The footage by itself is except for some highlights only mildly interesting, but it's interesting historically since it was censored upon release and there was quite a bit of controversy. Supposedly it played a part in the shutting down of such facilities because it portrayed how inhumanely the patients were treated.
>>
No. 53246 Kontra
56 kB, 1016 × 432
80 kB, 1016 × 432
96 kB, 1280 × 692
232 kB, 1280 × 692
>>53245
Couple more screencaps since I missed the Cape Fear one.
>>
No. 53247 Kontra
>>53245
>Nobody else watching movie, huh?
I wanted to actually, but I had one of ~those~ lack of energy weekends and didn't get around to it.
Selbstkontra
>>
No. 53326
>>53051
They really just don't make special effects anymore like they did in the 1980s. There's just this one awful period after which they started having CGI in late 90s but it still wasn't developed enough not to look like complete shit until the 2000s and even then CGI still could often look like garbage. Then CGI started to look great, but even so, it completely lacked the S-O-U-L of puppeteering and real special effects that typified the 70s through to the early 90s.
>>
No. 53337
294 kB, 1280 × 960
387 kB, 1600 × 713
403 kB, 1600 × 717
181 kB, 1024 × 460
>>53051
>These are awesome, more gritty looking than the movies.
Well, movies were also awesome, thanks to ILM. I'm a sucker for these types of BSG 1978 and OT Star Wars science fiction style stuff and special effects.

I'd spammed everything with lots of sketches and concepts for SW-BSG, tho probably it'd be annoying for other Ernsts.

>>53326
Things like Episode 1 had still a lot of classic style concepts, and a lot of designs and ideas here, especially on early sketches were awesome. A Doug Chiang's concept art physically screams: I want to draw "Tales of the Jedi" in the style of Ralph McQuarrie! And a great number of special effects and elements here were done by traditional miniatures and sets. But new elements and the way they implemented it (yea, 1999 CGI) sort of destroyed the overall style. I liked it when it was new and I was a child. But then more and more it felt more... plastic and fake, like a mid-00s PSP videogame.
>>
No. 53380
51 kB, 528 × 388
55 kB, 860 × 1147
  1. Gene Dondenberry [sic]. Silly, it has this obnoxious super hero philosophic vibe, but it's correctly done and is kinda cute.
  2. I like Lee Marvin, I like Toshiro Mifune, but this film is a waste.
>>53337
Neat, thanks for the info. I like the gracefulness of McQuarrie.
>>
No. 53433
218 kB, 1280 × 692
95 kB, 1280 × 692
66 kB, 1280 × 692
83 kB, 1280 × 692
Watched Chernobyl Diaries.

A group of Americans go on tour in Europe, and visit their friend (and a brother of one of them) who lives in Kiev. He convinces them to go on an "extreme tourism" trip in abandoned town of Pripyat. After their car gets broken and they get stranded, they soon find out that the town isn't really abandoned.

Well, I expected a total cringefest as usual for movies made about Slavs by Americans (like Devil's Pass or The Abandoned or other shit like that), but it turned out to be pretty tolerable. Don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty crappy cliched horror flick, but at least it didn't become dumb and hilarious because of its depiction of Eastern Europe (except of having spooky Soviet secrets, but I forgive that, because I kinda like spooky Soviet secrets in fiction), and they actually got Slavic actors to play Slavic characters (Yugoslavs mostly, and an immigrant to play the guide Yuri, but eh, it's still better than Americans using the "Slavic" accents or speaking foreign languages). Also, despite the movie's general crappiness, the horror is done fairly decently: the scares are being gradually prepared for, scary stuff isn't shown clearly so there isn't much room for failure, and no awful CG (CGs in Devil's Pass totally ruined it for me). Nonetheless, it's still a bad slasher zombie flick about a bunch of dumbasses getting killed, so it's not really worth watching. If you want some Soviet spookiness, it's better to play the Stalker vidyas, watch some real life videos/photos from Pripyat (they do absolutely legal tours in there for a long time already), or hell, even go to Pripyat yourself.
>>
No. 53527
93 kB, 1280 × 720
179 kB, 1280 × 720
166 kB, 1280 × 720
152 kB, 1280 × 720
Fun series about the adventures of a slacker who joins a secret society.
Takes a while to really get going, and it's rather tame so far in terms of "how deep the rabbit hole goes", considering the Pynchon reference in the title. Though it looks like season 2 might deliver there, I've yet to watch it.
What I really liked about it is how well the themes of "post-growth/rentier capitalism" are woven into the story, i.e. the protagonist & his sister having to deal with their dead father's debts, many of the characters being laid off or otherwise struggling with temp jobs, corrupt "redevelopment" plans etc.
>>
No. 53529
31 kB, 400 × 541
139 kB, 1200 × 800
Van Damme makes a solid work in acting in this film, which I really recommend. Has some spectacular action courtesy HK director. Has Michael Rooker too. Eh. Good film.

>>53527
nice visuals
>>
No. 53614
363 kB, 600 × 591
Well the film is nice and it is different because so much defeats, although being kinda chauvinist... Well:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064733/reviews

Man I luv the Internet for stuff like this:

"foreign cast member of this movie
paul-45926 November 2001
i was a young us forces member, working part time in the movies during 1967-70 in japan. in this movie, i was an aid-de-camp to the russian admiral (rodyshvinski). as i was an american, not speaking russian, they brought a professor from waseda univ to teach me phonetic russian, not having any idea what i was saying. 30+ years later, here i am in kiev for 10 years and want to find a copy of this movie to see what i said as i died dramatically, having been shot putting up the flag as our ship was sinking... it was said to be a significant movie from the japanese standpoint at the time, but i'm finding the russians i work with have a totally different perspective ;-) i'd also like cast member credits. i see our agent, mr yusef a. is listed."
>>
No. 53635
1,2 MB, 1023 × 1409
Jin-Roh has three very nice scenes, beautiful art and it's full of that symbolism that can be deep but it gets tiresome and cringy because of the insistence of the film in displaying it. This makes the film boooringgg. Anyway I'm interested in the material because it is the third part of something that perhaps has interesting points. I dig Oshii because I liked a lot Patlabor and Ghost in The Shell, but much of his other stuff is defenitely problematic.
>>
No. 53659
>>53635
I forgot this movie existed. Watched it a few years back, probably during my anime phase...
>>
No. 53667
522 kB, 1810 × 1820
>>53659
well, did you made this brilliant and excessive analysis and overall bombastic review that I made in the prev post, too?

Now for the filmmm in piccc:

if you dig 50s stuff, it's a must watch, but since it's the second time I watch it I think it's enough, because it is kinda silly, morally objectionable in certain moments, and because the 80s TV series was much better. Both made in the UK, ladies and gentlemen. the 50s version has nice apocalyptic moments but not enough to compensate! No! (fist raised to the sky)
>>
No. 53750
203 kB, 1616 × 909
193 kB, 1616 × 909
177 kB, 1616 × 909
263 kB, 1616 × 909
Finished it this weekend, very cozy and fun series. Too bad it got cancelled as the main arc of the series basically ends in the 9th episode and the last one sets up a cliffhanger for the next season which probably won't happen...
>>
No. 53770
64 kB, 808 × 436
47 kB, 808 × 436
104 kB, 808 × 436
58 kB, 808 × 436
Watched this dozens of times as a kid on VHS, gotta say that watching it now I've noticed almost nothing new about it.
Still mostly just silly fun with some annoying scenes, the CGI's crap but it doesn't really matter. The monkeys are still the funniest thing about it, very reminiscent of Gremlins, esp. with usage of music whenever they appear.
I definitely had a crush on Kirsten Dunst, but now I think child actors are kinda creepy considering all the "pedowood" stuff.

Mb some "deeper" interpretation can be drawn from the main character getting stuck in a game for 26 years considering today's prevalence of vidya manchildren. Also the way how the idyllic 1969 turns into the destitute 1995 is interesting, since it is portrayed in part because the shoe factory of Allan's father closed, and in the ending after Allan returns to his timeline he keeps the family business going and all is well. Envisioning a more prosperous alternative "now" without deindustrialization...
>>
No. 53897
44 kB, 720 × 384
51 kB, 720 × 384
52 kB, 720 × 384
32 kB, 720 × 384
Eerie slow thriller about an upper middle class housewife developing a strange illness and seeking help in a cult-like health commune.
I admire how stylistically deliberate it is with sparse dialogue, distant and symmetrical shots etc. Also quite ambiguous so it'd be an interesting movie to discuss with someone, but watching it by myself I ultimately found it rather boring.
>>
No. 54042
189 kB, 1280 × 720
124 kB, 1280 × 720
136 kB, 1280 × 536
119 kB, 1920 × 800
Had a pretty bad hangover yesterday so ended up doing a movie marathon incl. two 3.5 hr movies :D

The Player (1992)
Weird satire of Hollywood about a producer who's being stalked by a writer he rejected. Veeery meta, e.g. it starts with a super long take without any cuts, during which some characters are talking about how nowadays movies have so many cuts, also lots of movie posters that refer back to the story and stuff like that. It's not really that funny, but the ending is great. Also interesting soundtrack, sth like 80s Japanese ambient.

Heaven's Gate (1980)
Michael Cimino's third movie, and probably the last one worth speaking about. It's infamous for being one of the biggest financial disasters in cinema, and some people credit it with ending the director-dominated period of Hollywood. To that extent it's also briefly mentioned in The Player, which is what nudged me to finally watch it.
Gotta say I liked it, it's an ambitious epic about a period the late 1800s in America, based on some historical figures like Cattle Kate. The story is about a land/cattle owner organization that hire bounty hunters to kill poor European immigrants that resort to stealing their cattle, and the various characters that are caught up in it. There are several thematic similarities to Cimino's Deer Hunter, the love triangle, a period of innocent youth that turns to tragedy, the lofty landscape visuals etc.

JFK (1991)
Manages to stay exciting over the 3.5 hours of runtime, at least since I knew fairly little about the JFK assassination. But it's extremely exposition heavy, most of the movie is really just different people explaining their theories about what happened etc. Still I like Stone's style, but his later Nixon movie is much superior.
>>
No. 54052
77 kB, 731 × 1023
171 kB, 1024 × 768
  1. No. No. Cheap. Inconsequential. Puerile. :(
  2. Dialogue-story-whatever is not very special, but in graphical terms this stuff can be BEAUTIFUL. The space scenes are the best. And the girl makes me nervous (i.e. horny), go figure, damn Japanese. Worth watching, very inspiring. (Dangun Feveron caravan in the rain)
>>
No. 54073
>>54052
>Bebop

Are you talking about the films or the series?

Loved the music in both. Just seeing the poster makes me search for the soundtrack.
>>
No. 54092
429 kB, 1197 × 957
>>54073
The cartoon, sorry, I did not know there was a film. I figure it's the series because in the DVD I watched they preserved the intermission screen that leads to the TV ads.

I forgot I watched recently this film: is ok and nais.
>>
No. 54136
>>54092
Yes I watched this very influential film, as you can see from this pair of videos. The first song features the most long intro and outro in all Mortician career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHsuRMcIRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbTWGPp9RY

And I watched Foreigh Affair by Billy Wilder. Nice to know that the 2nd image result link in Duckduckgo was from National Vanguard. Not because I'm a nazi, it's that reminds me of the less politicized less subtle Internet of the past. Go for it Internet! (I read the article BTW, interesting but...)
>>
No. 54140
85 kB, 940 × 528
Finally watched Space Patrol Orion. German science fiction production from 1966 with 7 episodes. Basically very similar to Star Trek TOS but a little darker and with more booze.
>>
No. 54142
766 kB, 1400 × 1400
>>54140
>>54140
> Space Patrol Orion
I HAVE TO WATCH THIS.

How did you manage to watch it? Torrent? Video club rental? Library? Time machine? Where did you get the clothing from the era so you could seem normal when you arrived at your destination when uing the time machine? I have to watch this.
>>
No. 54143
>>54142
>>54142
>How did you manage to watch it?
It's a well known TV classic in Germany and was released on DVD and it's on youtube but I think it has no subs there.
If you don't find a torrent maybe rip it off youtube and download a .srt file and adjust the subtitle time to the rip?
>>
No. 54146
>>54140
Fun stuff, my dad who was into retro sci-fi loved it.
>>
No. 54151
1,1 MB, 1280 × 536
1,2 MB, 1280 × 534
50 kB, 720 × 304
54 kB, 720 × 304
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (2019)

Expected to either hate it or love it but it ended up being somewhat boring in a cozy way. Tarantino did a nice job teasing the audience with the promise of violence one'd expect from him but declining to indulge in it until the ending. Which really got me by surprise since I had just read about the Manson murders recently.

The Nice Guys (2016)

Yeah, a pattern emerges, I've been watching a bunch of Hollywood-related movies recently. This one coincidentally also starring Margaret Qualley.
Really fun, pretty hilarious seeing Ryan Gosling play a silly role after watching him in his Refn movies or Blade Runner 2049.
The armchair critical reading would be that it's not just a stupid comedy, but actually about "Dieselgate".

But re: overinterpretation & Hollywood movies, also been thinking about Under the Silver Lake (2018) a lot lately, even ended up reading the screenplay. The songwriter scene is just so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdE7yos6COw

Tengoku to jigoku (1963)
For the most part a really good thriller, but the last half hour or so leading up to the ending scene make it a masterpiece.
>>
No. 54164
345 kB, 1000 × 1496
>>54143
Thanks for your answer. Actually I don't care if I don't know German and I have no subtitles, it will be a good motive to get familiarized with German. I dig this stuff very much, I did not know Germans did this kind of material and I am super grateful for this info.

Philm incoming: AKA the Mutilator, it's a silly film but I liked it, it has a charm. You can watch it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcnO7xfDwDs. Film is way better than this poster. Even the poster of the DVD I got was better etc etc
>>
No. 54165
>>54146
Sure. I smell a kinda dry tone. A sure bet.
>>
No. 54166
70 kB, 825 × 350
>>54164
>I dig this stuff very much, I did not know Germans did this kind of material
You have to check out "Der schweigende Stern" then, it's a 1960 DEFA (GDR film studios) production based on a novel by Stanislav Lem. Superb material!

"Eolomea" (1972) is another good GDR science fiction movie. I think the DEFA produced 4 science fiction movies overall, except the two I mentioned also "Signale – Ein Weltraumabenteuer" and „Im Staub der Sterne“, but I haven't seen those.

Except for Space Patrol Orion I don't know any FRG science fiction productions, but I googled just quick and came up with Operation Ganymed (1976) which looks promising and Das Arche Noah Prinzip (1984) which is actually Roland Emmerichs first movie so hopefully it's better than his other films :DDD
>>
No. 54172
>>54151
>You know who else was just following orders?.... HITLER!

Found it rather meh the first time I watched it, but recently rewatched and really enjoyed, although I still don't like movies with several endings.
>>
No. 54179
191 kB, 1920 × 1080
183 kB, 1920 × 1080
280 kB, 1920 × 1080
165 kB, 1920 × 1080
Neo-noir about a washed up former kid detective trying to solve his first murder case & deal with the trauma of a past case he was unable to solve. I like the concept of the story, but it's for the most part very bland, the acting, dialogues, cinematography etc. It's trying to be a sort of Wes Anderson movie with a dark twist, but the comedy parts aren't really funny enough to make the twist land. Also weird & unsatisfying ending.

Brick (2005) is kinda similar neo-noir in high school setting, also fairly low budget, but much more creative & memorable.

>>54172
Now reading the quote I don't find it as funny :D but the delivery really makes it work.

Not sure what you mean by several endings tho? The possible sequel teaser at the end with the "Nice Guys" business card?
>>
No. 54180
>>54179
I really don't remember the name f most movies I watched in the past years. But I remember watching Brick some 8-10 years ago. Any other good neo noir you could recommend? I've watched some, but I don't remember their names. Maybe Blue Ruin would be noir? Dunno anymore.
>>
No. 54183
>>54180
>I really don't remember the name f most movies I watched in the past years.
That's why I autistically keep track on letterboxd, haha

>Maybe Blue Ruin would be noir?
Dunno, looks kinda interesting though, gonna put it on my watchlist. I liked the director's first movie Murder Party, but Green Room not so much...

>Any other good neo noir you could recommend?
Oh, there's lots of great stuff. Some personal favorites :
The Long Goodbye (1973), Dirty Harry (1971) & Night Moves (1975) for some classics
Inherent Vice (2014), Under the Silver Lake (2018), The Big Lebowski & other Coen brothers movies for more recent (& comedy-leaning I guess)
Cure (1997), Memories of Murder (2003) & Assa (1987) for some non-English diversity :D

There's sooo much more but I don't wanna just rattle off titles, here's a decent list: https://letterboxd.com/fight_professor/list/neo-noir/
Though it has a fairly broad view of what a "neo-noir" is.
>>
No. 54190
>>54140
I find it more similar to Space 1999. It is kind of good despite the plastic cups and ironing handles for props. I never noticed them until some Bernd on KC pointed it out many year ago.
>>
No. 54191
>>54179
>Not sure what you mean by several endings tho?
No, I mean having a climax and then having an epilogue that's not really an epilogue.
For example: The Nice Guys, Casino Royale (2006).
Example for an actual epilogue: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
>>
No. 54192
>>54166
Excellent, excellent, danke schön.
>>
No. 54315
109 kB, 986 × 720
225 kB, 704 × 384
37 kB, 1008 × 420
129 kB, 960 × 720
The Big Sleep (1946)
Great classic noir, I'm starting to get the fascination with Humphrey Bogart. The innuendo with all the female characters is electrifying. Notably with Lauren Bacall, who was also his wife at that point. Tbh I didn't even fully get the plot, but still enjoyed it.

The Battle of Algiers (1966)
Documentary-like dramatization of the Algerian fight for independence/terrorism, depending on who you ask. Great cinematography, absolutely superb soundtrack. Curiously one of the FLN leaders plays himself.

Heat (1995)
Pretty insane cast around Al Pacino & De Niro. Probably as high-brow as heist movies get. But aside from a few great scenes, there's still something vapid about it.

Breathless (1960)
God, I hate French movies. This was so unbearably smug.
>>
No. 54316
92 kB, 1024 × 830
woorgh waarggh Sofia Lorennnn

It's a very nice film with good actors and interesting scenes, featuring battles between tugboats and submarines

And doom and love and exhaustion

Apparently there were two versions, where censorship intervened. Mine is the one that makes the end of the film difficult to understand. So the DVD goes out. Out! Yay I love getting rid of things. If you search it in Duckduckgo ("DDG"?) there are you can watch it there.
>>
No. 54318
66 kB, 500 × 611
>>54316
>>54315
The two really good French films I can recommend to you are "un condemmné a mort est echapée" and "le salaire de la peur" [sic sic sic]. I tell you this because I can't stand many French films too, but if I want to behave remotely like God, one has to focus in the positive things
>>
No. 54337
>>54315
Have you watched anything non- or pre-Nouvelle Vague?
Rather recently I watched Les Yeux sans Visage and Les Diaboliques, the latter one is the same director as Le Salaire de la Peur. Both are excellent.
>>
No. 54339
132 kB, 960 × 720
44 kB, 704 × 384
405 kB, 1008 × 420
718 kB, 987 × 720
>>54318
>>54337
Thanks for the recommendations, already have them on my endless watchlist (probably from researching Cahiers du Cinema top lists years ago), but gonna bump them up in priority.

>Have you watched anything non- or pre-Nouvelle Vague?
Not a whole lot, but yeah I was just being facetious, I'm sure there are great French movies out there :D

>if I want to behave remotely like God, one has to focus in the positive things
God bless you, haha
>>
No. 54342 Kontra
>>54315
>hating on Godard
;_;
>>
No. 54375
269 kB, 1000 × 1500
Uh, this is a spy movie, uh, nah I did not like it, too festive and full of itself. I can watch it buuuuut
>>
No. 54377
>>54342
I have seen only one Godard movie — Alphaville — and it felt really obnoxious to me. Like Tarkovsky's movies, it gave that arrogant "I'm an artist and you are shit" impression. Unlike Tarkovsky's movies, it didn't have anything going for it: no eerie atmosphere, no breathtaking visuals, no memorable soundtrack, no nothing. It was simply bad, and it all but killed my interest in artsy-fartsy French cinema (compared to, for example, Fellini or Bergman who really impressed me with La Dolce Vita and The Seventh Seal respectively).
>>
No. 54392
127 kB, 1280 × 694
210 kB, 1280 × 694
189 kB, 984 × 720
156 kB, 984 × 720
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
Thriller about an assassination attempt on De Gaulle in the aftermath of Algerian independence, mainly portraying the assassin rather than the detective side. It's a rather slow burner, but enjoyable nonetheless, there's a great attention to detail. Also really liked the documentary-like scenes of the parade at the end, fun tidbit:
>The sequence was filmed during a real parade, leading to confusion; the crowd (many of whom were unaware that a film was being shot) mistook the actors portraying police officers for real officers, and many tried to help them arrest the "suspects" they were apprehending in the crowd.

Curiously also starring Jean Martin, who played the French Colonel in The Battle of Algiers, in a minor role.

Black Narcissus (1947)
Most impressive movie I've seen recently. Strange story about a couple of nuns that are supposed to set up a convent high in the Himalayas, but start losing their marbles up there. Does anybody have some recommendations for movies with a similar theme of "people going crazy in a foreign land/outside of civilization"?
Great colorful sets & visuals with meticulously painted backgrounds, awesome soundtrack, especially towards the end.
>>
No. 54395
>>54392
>recommendations for movies with a similar theme of "people going crazy in a foreign land/outside of civilization"
Aguirre, Wrath of God, but you probably have seen it already.
>>
No. 54453
87 kB, 500 × 741
When this film was released a person which I respected a lot reviewed it (in a comic book format) and he liked it. I figure it was something different to watch back then. Now, and for me... Well, it's OK, buuuuuut
>>54377
>>54339
I don't think there are so much great French films out there. Now I recall some more recent ones like The Idiots supper [sic] and one with a guy that was living in their parents home being 30 YO, and both were unfunny immoral wastes. I recall another film which was good, which featured the last execution in France, which was a woman that practiced abortions. That was a solid film. Dunno if you have in the streets ads telling something "the funniest French comedy of the summer!". Radioactive, toxic, poisonous, biohazard, this is my attitude.

>>54377
Uh who was the **** that filmed Hiroshima mon amour. What an ultra mega pedantic bore. Regarding Tarkovsky, I never had the feel of being insulted, and I enjoyed many of his films (Ivan, Solaris, uh I don't remember what else), but his Swedish film, that was a total disaster IMHO.
>>
No. 54454
>>54339
P.S. God bless you too

>Sorry the flesh is weak!.jpg
>>
No. 54458
75 kB, 600 × 800
>>54392
>Does anybody have some recommendations for movies with a similar theme of "people going crazy in a foreign land/outside of civilization"?
Try Coup de Torchon (1981)
>>
No. 54459 Kontra
>>54458
P. S.: Also maybe Waiting for the Barbarians could be interesting.
>>
No. 54470
>>54395
Thx, yeah that's a good one, might be due for a rewatch.

>>54458
>>54459
Thx, these look good, guess I'll have to start a list on lebbertoxd

I also thought of Apocalypse Now & Herzog's Fitzcarraldo, also Wake in Fright though it's a somewhat different setting.

>>54377
I agree with your general sentiment, but gotta admit I kinda liked Alphaville, at least it had some absurd humor going for it.
>>
No. 54472
>>54453
>Regarding Tarkovsky, I never had the feel of being insulted, and I enjoyed many of his films
Well, rather than insulting I feel like he is more condescending or patronizing in his movies despite he doesn't have any right of being so. You see, I consider Tarkovsky an absolutely brilliant film director, but at the same a genuine idiot in a general sense. He can make a picture that creeps under your skin, soaks into your brain and just stays there forever, but his moralizing and philosophy are kindergarten-level. He reminds me of Dostoyevsky in a way: he too could write a God-tier book with deep dive into human psyche and then fuck it all up with some crappy Christian parable. Well, maybe not fuck it up, his books are still genius and he's possibly the best Russian-language author of all times, but his obsession with being didactic doesn't do any good for him, I think. Then again, I've only seen Solyaris and Stalker, so I base my opinion on Tarkovsky on these two movies. Maybe if I watch Ivan's Childhood and Andrei Rublyov I will think differently.

>I don't think there are so much great French films out there.
Depends. I consider Pierre Richard or Louis de Funes comedies great (Fantomas is ebin as hell, and La Grand Vadrouille might be my favorite comedy about Nazis ever), and I don't care what professional movie critics have to say about them, while all those les films artistiques do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.
>>
No. 54520
247 kB, 1920 × 1080
282 kB, 1920 × 1080
236 kB, 1616 × 909
392 kB, 1920 × 1080
Barry Lyndon (1975)
Amazing costumes & sets, awesome cinematography with some beautiful panoramic shots not pictured cause I was comepelled to hornypoast, story also both touching and funny at times, but it lacks a certain something other Kubrick movies tend to have.

Fitzcarraldo (1982)
Werner Herzog is a fucking mad lad. He actually hired tribes of natives to transport a 320 ton ship over a hill in the Peruvian jungle. The story might have some hiccups, but Kinski and the motley cast of amateur and character actors carry it through. Ending is absolutely glorious, nothing quite like it. Looking forward to watch the documentary on the notoriously troublesome production, one of the more famous tidbits about it being that one of the native tribesmen offered Herzog to murder Kinski since he was causing so much trouble.
>>
No. 54522
22 kB, 720 × 404
>>54520
Barry Lyndon might have been the greatest movie I've ever seen. Absolute masterpiece.
>>
No. 54523 Kontra
347 kB, 720 × 384
55 kB, 720 × 384
125 kB, 1152 × 492
75 kB, 1152 × 492
Tampopo (1985)
Weird comedy about a truck driver helping out a woman to improve her Ramen restaurant. The narrative is interspersed with some surreal food-related sketches. Would be a really fun wholesome family movie if not for some of the sketches being kinky basically softporn tier content :D

Face/Off (1997)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdv8MjwzxA
>>
No. 54524 Kontra
229 kB, 1920 × 1080
189 kB, 1920 × 1080
105 kB, 1920 × 1080
88 kB, 1920 × 1080
Have to dedicate a single post for this one since I loved it so much. Bleak stuff, but it really resonated with me. It's about four already miserable and poor characters: a schoolboy & a schoolgirl, a young gangster and a grandpa who have possibly the worst day of their lives. Their stories become intertwined, as they seek out the "sitting elephant" in an attempt to escape their lives.
The cinematograhy is very methodical, vast majority of the movie is filmed with a steadicam that follows the characters around, often focusing on one character while everything and everyone in the background remain blurred and distant. Great ambient/post-rock soundtrack too by a band from Wuhan called Hualun, it actually nudged me to finally watch this.
It's one of the longest movies I've seen clocking in at almost four hours, but I found myself constantly thrilled about how the ending with the "elephant" will be handled, and I wasn't disappointed.
Quite devastating that the director took his own life (allegedly due to production issues), it was his first and last movie.
>>
No. 54528
>>54520
>Fitzcarraldo
>Ending is absolutely glorious, nothing quite like it.
Dunno, I liked Aguirre more, both the ending, and the film as a whole. Maybe I just dislike happy endings, and Fitzcarraldo's ending was happy, despite the titular character losing pretty much everything. Still, the movie was very good.

>>54523
>Tampopo
>The narrative is interspersed with some surreal food-related sketches.
I may have liked those sketches more than the actual movie, especially the ones about the French restaurant, about a woman teaching girls Western table etiquette and about gourmet hobos, although the last one is actually a part of the main plot. Not all of them were funny though, the one about dying woman's last meal had a really dark mood.
>>
No. 54533
124 kB, 800 × 422
>>54524
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know
Black Coal, Thin Ice? You might like it.
>>
No. 54534 Kontra
63 kB, 970 × 412
>>
No. 54551
>>54533
>Black Coal, Thin Ice
Yep, one of the few other (mainland) Chinese movies I've seen, it was alright, gotta admit I don't remember it well though.

>>54528
>Fitzcarraldo's ending was happy, despite
Yeah, I didn't expect such a happy ending either, that's part of why I liked it so much. Though there is also something of a "last hurrah" to it.
Really gotta rewatch Aguirre now :D

>may have liked those sketches more than the actual movie, especially the ones about the French restaurant,
Yeah, my favorite one was the other one in the French restaurant with the gourmet salaryman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVLqUpHDJE
You might've seen it already, but if you liked the sketches I'd recommend Funky Forest/Naisu no mori which is basically just a collection of loosely related surreal sketches (some also rather NSFW).

>>54472
>He can make a picture that creeps under your skin, soaks into your brain and just stays there forever, but his moralizing and philosophy are kindergarten-level
I read something fitting in a book on writing recently, I suppose it also fits for artists in general:
"[...] great novels are always a little more intelligent than their authors. Novelists who are more intelligent than their books should go into another line of work."
>>
No. 54559
>>54551
>Funky Forest
Yeah, I've seen it, and for a ridiculous mishmash of nonsensical stories it was stupidly enjoyable. Some of the stories were really disgusting, like the one about a lactating man and a tennis player (I suspect that some Japanese visual pun incomprehensible for baka gaijins like myself is involved in that one), the creepy music lesson and the one about bellybutton. Still, others were pretty nice, though; my favorite is probably the dancing on the beach (I think it was really cool, and that's coming from a guy who hates dancing) and modulating in the forest (I kinda liked the electronic track there).

>great novels are always a little more intelligent than their authors
Yeah nah, that only works if the author can hide his stupidity well and it's not clearly evident. This is why I dislike didactic art so much: artists are most of the time too dumb to teach anyone anything. IMO, art should either be reflective (that is, pondering about something without forcing any conclusions on others; raising questions without giving answers; or simply sharing the impressions by something) or aesthetic (either noticing beauty around us or constructing our own beauty).
>>
No. 54561 Kontra
>>54551
Also, do you happen to know where to find Funky Forest in good quality (720p or higher)? I've only seen it on streaming and torrents in crappy 480p.
>>
No. 54568
53 kB, 600 × 316
2,5 MB, 1755 × 2048
>>54559
The music/dancing parts were surprisingly awesome, agree

>>54561
I thought about rewatching it and wondered about the same thing, haha
Funnily enough, third window films just announced a Blu-Ray release for it a few weeks ago. It will also contain Warped Forest, a sort of sequel which I never heard about before. So we can expect a BDRip sometime later in the year I suppose, mb I'll even buy the Blu-Ray myself.
>>
No. 54585
134 kB, 1024 × 705
>>54524
I desperately want to watch this one, the trailer was lovely and the music as well. I haven't watched a movie in months but this bleakness should comfort me as well as unsettle me.
Does anybody have an idea where to watch rips online? I don't want to download nor do I want Amazon Prime.
>>
No. 54586 Kontra
>>54585
I usually recommend fmovies.to for streaming, but looks like the upload is botched there
Try https://kissasian.la/an-elephant-sitting-still-episode-1/
>>
No. 54588 Kontra
>>54586
I will keep that in mind, bc in the meanwhile I found a stream on lookmovie.to via search engine.
>>
No. 54605
I would like not to waste a single minute in reviewing a film sorry: Gantz 2011: I wonder if someone that had not read the manga found the film the same sordid as the manga was. What a manga, what a waste of an end. Since Gantz end and I am a hero end I'm not invested anymore in commercial manga. I tell you Gantz could have been one of the best comics in history. What a waste. The film captures the good Gantz spirit from the beginning. Good CGI. Very competent. Good for the film industry. Bad for the comic industry.
>>
No. 54622
1,1 MB, 720 × 544
107 kB, 720 × 576
106 kB, 720 × 480
84 kB, 720 × 544
Burden of Dreams (1982)
Docu on the production of Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. It might just be even more interesting than the movie itself. Really a miracle the movie got finished at all considering all the trouble they had with the ships, the native extras, the initial actor who got sick, Kinski's paroxysms etc.

Jesus Christ Savior (2009)
Restoration of Kinski's infamous 1971 reading tour, which was cancelled because he was constantly being heckled and provoked by the audience. Tbh it's not that interesting except for his tantrums, though it helps put them into perspective.

My Best Fiend (1999)
Herzog's docu in memory of his troubled work together with Kinksi. Lots of interesting anecdotes delivered with Herzog's dry wit, some interviews, some archival footage.
>>
No. 54623
48 kB, 800 × 800
>>54622
Frankly, I liked the Jesus Christus Erlöser stuff. Sure, it was true-to-the-zeitgeist hippie rambling, but I like plotting Jesus agains the church and state. From that point of view I can certainly sympathize with christianity.
Also, why watch the whole thing when you can just watch the five or so minutes of screaming already cut together? DU DUMME SAU

Mein liebster Feind was pretty fun, though.
>Und er schrie mit sicher überschlagender Stimme [auf leise Art und Weise Geschrei nachmachend] "Klaaaaraaaa, du Saaaauuu"
>>
No. 54624
113 kB, 1280 × 546
305 kB, 1920 × 800
53 kB, 1052 × 480
61 kB, 1052 × 480
The Great Escape (1963)
A bunch of British and a couple American POWs plan to escape a high security Nazi prison camp. One of the most "guys being dudes" movies I've seen in a while. Apparently it in part inspired the stealth aspects in Kojima's MGS series.

A Touch of Sin (2013)
More violent Chinese arthouse, also featuring four different characters, albeit their stories aren't strongly intertwined. There's some nice shots and the stories are alright, but it didn't quite come together as a whole for me.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Probably the most epic epic movie I've seen (going by the number of horses on screen at the same time). Amazing visuals (made me really yearn to watch it on the big screen for once), great acting, surprisingly self-aware approach to the whole myth of "Lawrence of Arabia". Though it's still a bit too camp for my taste.
In one of the Herzog docus he talked about how Kinski wanted him to film the Machu Picchu for Aguirre in a similar scenic style (Kinski had previously also starred in David Lean's Dr. Zhivago), but Herzog fittingly described it as an "exploitation" of the scenery.

>>54623
>Also, why watch the whole thing when you can just watch the five or so minutes of screaming already cut together? DU DUMME SAU
Yeah, in hindsight it might've been enough but I was curious whether there was more to it. The most interesting thing might've been that apparently after most people had left he did a full performance without microphone in front of a small crowd.

>[auf leise Art und Weise Geschrei nachmachend] "Klaaaaraaaa, du Saaaauuu"
One of the best parts :D
>>
No. 54626
>>54623
Have you seen Scorsesis "The Last Temptation of Christ" based on the novel of the same name? Maybe you'll like it.
>>
No. 54637
683 kB, 960 × 720
44 kB, 672 × 504
113 kB, 986 × 720
70 kB, 856 × 720
Ended up watching a bunch of b/w classics, my brain is fried right now

Bicycle Thieves (1948)
The kid actor was impressive & the ending scene is pretty iconic, also a bunch of well done scenes where the viewer is baited into jumping to conclusions, otherwise I gotta admit it didn't impress me that much.

Late Spring (1949)
Setsuko Hara is too cute! Really like Ozu's style that somehow manages to make family dramas cozy.

Persona (1966)
Can't believe I haven't seen this earlier considering how famous it is, it's extremely up my alley. Loved all the psycho stuff & the "experimental" montages.

City Lights (1931)
I'll admit the boxing match was pretty funny, but I can't really get excited about Chaplin.

>>54626
>Scorsesis "The Last Temptation of Christ"
Damn, this one went under my radar, written by Schrader & starring Willem Dafoe as Jesus, sounds promising :D

>>54623
>I like plotting Jesus agains the church and state. From that point of view I can certainly sympathize with christianity.
Btw I'm absolutely sympathetic to that idea as well, but I still can't decide whether I like hearing it from Kinski :D
In a way he is totally the right person to say it, but at the same time totally the wrong one, but I guess that's his polarizing nature
>>
No. 54640
>>54637
>Persona
Didn't like it as much as The Seventh Seal, but I gotta say that Bibi Andersson was absolutely brilliant and she carried the whole movie by herself. Also, her story about the boys on the beach made my peepee feel funny. Bergman has managed to find just the right actress for the role and she performed so well that she negated my aversion to all that artsy-fartsy symbolist wankery that is the rest of the movie. So, considering the solid Persona and the god-tier The Seventh Seal I think I will give some of the other Bergman's movies a shot, and the next one would be Hour of the Wolf, I guess.
>>
No. 54666
39 kB, 966 × 580
Mountains May Depart (2015)

I wasn't able to watch the Elephant sitting still yesterday night, so I went for a shorter film.

This one is a love story, a mother-child relationship story, and one of lost or confusing identity. In chronologic order as the plot is parted into three different times: 1999, 2014, 2025.
I liked some more contemporary Chinese films in the past, this one is not special though, it was ok, it displays certain aspects of the change China went through in the past 30 years but it was very obvious in its symbolism and such at times, which I did not like. It was not aesthetic enough for me.
>>
No. 54668
649 kB, 1000 × 1000
This film is human and has dignity believe it or not. Here, learning about the subject.

>Error: File type or format not supported. (blood-beach-poster-art-tv-.jpg)
>>
No. 54689
>>54524
I've watched it now. I liked it as (nearly) expected. A movie I will remember, the blur around the characters is a very good and affective technique to make clear the difference between self and environment (also this distinction is important for the elephant). Overall the cinematography and dialogues (spoken and non-verbal) are well done the music as well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKDS3cscp8M is on repeat. The despair is quite close, yet I really like the ending, a really beautiful relief. Again I think this is a feeling that many people might know, at least I do, and I think "let's have a look" is the way to go in the end. Pondering rn the movie reflects the drift, the in-between, the path(s), loving the processual aspect of it. This film finds a glimmer of beauty and hope in all the mess. What else can you hope for?

Makes me also think about "Benjamins angel"
>A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress
>>
No. 54715
Watched Dr. Strangelove again. I did not like very much the military music. I laughed more. I had less tension bc I perfectly remembered how it ended. My memory tricked me again. I thought Dimitri the Premier was with a woman. Or it was from another film?

Misteri misteri
>>
No. 54737
105 kB, 960 × 520
246 kB, 1918 × 799
203 kB, 1920 × 1080
129 kB, 1280 × 694
La Haine (1995)
Pleasantly surprised by this one, it's blatantly political, yet also just a great fucking movie in its own right. Nice cinematography, fast-paced editing, stylized yet also authentic acting.
Made me reminisce about hanging out with friends after you've missed the last train home.

Boogie Nights (1997)
First things first, I fucking hate Mark Wahlberg.
Some cool steadicam shots that make you feel like you're right in the middle of things (e.g. the opening in the nightclub), Julianne Moore was pretty good, but I couldn't really care for the story much, too formulaic. Also despite critical moments towards the porn industry, it still felt too whitewashed.
The ending shot is notoriously ebin, but I'm not gonna spoil it :D

Network (1976)
Some very energetic acting and memorable writing that shines in many monologues, but weirdly anti-climatic plot that just seems like it's there to tie together the many iconic speeches.
This one's probably the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBe93FMiJc
Feels quite ahead of its time with its criticism of TV, considering e.g. Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death book came out only in 1985.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
The title alone should get an award, no surprise it's been parodied quite often.
Really liked it for awesome performance by Warren Oates (reminded me of Nic Cage a bit), naturalistic Mexican scenery with all the run-down shacks and seedy bars, quite unpredicatble genre-bending story.

>>54689
Glad you liked it!

>"Benjamins angel"
So ugly yet memorable, haha

>>54666
>it was very obvious in its symbolism and such at times, which I did not like
That's also how I felt about A Touch of Sin, by same director Jia Zhangke

>>54640
>spoiler
Definitely top contender for horniest movie moment
>>
No. 54762 Kontra
64 kB, 775 × 485
>La Haine

Oh what a movie, I watched it several times, first as weed-smoking teen. I remember that during the third watch (probably 6-8 years or so ago) I noticed that in this movie the voices in "dialogs" so often overlap, probably not by accident, there is many moments of vocal interference so to speak.

Since I only know the German version
> Eine kleine Line Koks, willst du eine kleine Line Koks
>>
No. 54782
243 kB, 1920 × 800
55 kB, 720 × 384
51 kB, 720 × 384
67 kB, 976 × 528
Whiplash (2014)
Absolutely baffled by how overrated this one is. There's an angry screaming guy and some snappy editing, other than that it's totally soulless Hollywood shlock.
It's based on a short film of the same name and it shows, the plot is stretched very thin, and the main characters are pretty one-dimensional, not to mention the side characters and the laughable romance sideplot.
At least it was interesting to see Miles Teller as pudgy nerd kid rather than the autistic neo-Elvis he plays in Refn's Too Old To Die Young.

The Piano Teacher (2001)
I should've expected it from Haneke after watching Funny Games, but this was extremely fucked up. Great acting, esp Isabelle Huppert ofc, but I don't love Haneke's minimalist directing style.

The Pianist (2002)
Also rather confused about the amount of praise this received. It probably has some didactic value as portraying some aspects of the holocaust, but seen just as a movie it's rather mediocre. Everything from sets & costumes to acting & cinematography is fits just right, but despite the obviously terrible things happening the film failed to have an emotional impact on me. Maybe I'm too desensitized, but esp. the portrayal of violence felt rather gratuitous and even unintentionally comical at times.
There are some interesting moments towards the end when the dishevelled and malnourished Brody is scavenging through the ruins of Warsaw and ofc the climax, but other than that it left me apathetic.

>I remember that during the third watch (probably 6-8 years or so ago) I noticed that in this movie the voices in "dialogs" so often overlap
It's great to notice stuff like that, unfortunately I have a hard time forcing myself to rewatch movies when there's so many I haven't watched yet :D
>>
No. 54786
>>54782
Pianist is an american holocaust movie, of course it's overrated. Those things are always blatant Oscar bait.
Just like Schindler's List. I really can't watch it in english without cracking up at the silly accents, especially Fiennes'.
>>
No. 54791
846 kB, 1061 × 654
>>54782
You are absolutely right about whiplash, I only saw it recently but damn was it not a great movie. I remember it being praised as a great exposition into obsession and how it can ruin your life, but the movie doesn't have any amount of nuance or thoughtfulness in presenting its concepts.
I guess you could say the director was a little tone deaf XDDDD
>>
No. 54806
>>54782
Yeah true I thought it was a decent film just not very memorable. Warsaw was much better, as was Schindler's List.
>bbbut muh Spielberg muh normalfags
Sorry but it was a good film, even if it was made by the guy that possibly killed Heather O'Rourke or was invovled somehow.
>>
No. 54813
272 kB, 1912 × 1080
200 kB, 1912 × 1080
237 kB, 1920 × 1040
354 kB, 1920 × 1040
Mean Streets (1973)
First collaboration between Scorsese & De Niro. One could say it's a bit unpolished & unfocused with the plot often going sideways, but despite that I really liked the dynamic cinematography, the exploration of the characters & their milieu of small-time mafia.
Also the story about having a "crazy" friend whom you're trying to look out for (though not in an entirely selfless way) is quite relatable for me.

Raging Bull (1980)
Definitely a masterpiece in technical terms and a standout example of a biopic done right, but I just didn't find the character of LaMotta very fascinating. De Niro getting fat for the few bookending scenes set after LaMotta's retirement is some insane dedication.

Some interesting tidbits from wiki about the production:
>production of the film was then closed down for around four months with the entire crew being paid, so De Niro could go on a binge eating trip around northern Italy and France.[15][27] When he did come back to the United States, his weight had increased from 145 to 215 pounds (66 to 97 kg).
>Prior to receiving a call from De Niro and Scorsese for the proposal to star in the film, Pesci had not worked in film for four years
>Scorsese was not—and still is not—a fan of sports or boxing, which he describes as boring

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
Wild & colorful yet creepy rock opera satirizing the music industry, based on a mix of Phantom of the Opera, Faust & The Picture of Dorian Gray. Very fast-paced & ridiculously funny at times.
Apparently Griffith's mask in Berserk was inspired by the Phantom's mask.

>>54791
Yeah, it's almost ironic to make such a mediocre movie about obsessiveness with one's craft

>>54786
>>54806
I suppose that evens out the endorsement of Schindler's List :D
Spielberg's alright but there's a bunch of other WW2 & Holocaust related movies I'd rather watch
>>
No. 54844
560 kB, 400 × 570
I hadn't watched such an incredible bore since Falling Angels from that Wong Kar Wai guy or something like that. Agonizing.
>>
No. 54865
1,3 MB, 1920 × 1080
130 kB, 1920 × 1080
886 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,7 MB, 1920 × 1080
Syberberg's seven hour long, four part magnum opus on Hitler. Neither narrative nor documentary, it's rather an essay in film form combining just about all media types imaginable. Mainly consists of darkly humorous monologues by actors and ventriloquists in surreal stage sets with classical paintings and illustrations as backdrops, and historical audio & video recordings and German classical music (especially Wagner) serving as a sombre contrast.
There's an innumerable amount of ideas portrayed, some of the most interesting aspects for me was the way it displayed some of the spiritual and intellectual soil (e.g. a monologue on the World Ice Theory) on which Hitler could become a messianic figure, and the way in which he ended up soiling the German culture that came before and dissolving the grounds for future culture. Also Hitler as rabid film fan and his terrible fashion sense. But that's neither here nor there, if you're interested in more there's a really good fairly comprehensive essay on it by Susan Sontag: http://www.syberberg.de/Syberberg4_2010/Susan-Sontag-Syberbergs-Hitler-engl.html
>>
No. 54866 Kontra
1,0 MB, 1920 × 1080
1006 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,1 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,4 MB, 1920 × 1080
>>54865
Pics 1&2: parody of the infamous scene in Fritz Lang's M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
>>
No. 54878
1,4 MB, 1666 × 2373
>>54865
Interesting, never came to know the relationship between that Ice stuff (very alien to me) and leadership. Thx.

Now film of mine: beri nais! Txon Fort and Henri Fonda. Lincoln acting as a lawyer. Based on a real story.
>>
No. 54883
1004 kB, 1920 × 1080
381 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,1 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,1 MB, 1920 × 1080
Another seven hour long masterpiece, this time by Hungarian director Bela Tarr. Probably the first time I've heard spoken Hungarian, it's really weird to be unable to understand a single word of a language.

It's about a group of peasants in a backwater village who receive a severance payment as the local farm closes down in the aftermath of the communist regime's downfall. Tragicomedy ensues as a Irimias, a man feared and revered as an almost supernatural figure, and thought to be dead, returns to the village.

Certainly one of the epitomes of S L O W C I N E M A, many of the takes are several minutes long and often the camera lingers on even when the actors already left the frame. Sometimes that's hypnotizing, other times it may make you feel like checking your phone. Takes a while to get used to it, but in the last third or so it picks up the pace and the ending is especially sublime.

The way the story procedurally unfolds by being shown from different perspectives also reminded me somewhat of An Elephant Sitting Still, and lo and behold aparently Hu Bo had actually studied with Bela Tarr.

>>54878
Lincoln movie looks interesting!

>Ice stuff (very alien to me)
To be fair, I don't think it was too important, but it's an example of the esoteric theories the Nazis were enamored with. Also Hinduist & Buddhist (>>52947) texts etc.
>>
No. 54888 Kontra
284 kB, 1920 × 1080
137 kB, 1280 × 690
206 kB, 1280 × 690
169 kB, 1280 × 690
Love & Mercy (2014)

Been getting into the Beach Boys again lately, great music. This movie not so much, pretty average biopic. There are two timelines between which it constantly changes without much rhyme or reason, one about young Brian Wilson starting with the Pet Sounds studio sessions, one when he's older and meets a woman that saves him from his abusive therapist. Former timeline was more interesting, couldn't care much for the latter, don't like John Cusack much. Though Paul Giamatti is pretty good in the role of the therapist, even if it's a rather one-bit villain role.

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

Story about the intrigues between the mistresses of a rich Chinese man, set entirely in a mansion.
Absolutely amazing & unique visuals. Perfect example of using form to elevate content, e.g. the often reused static camera settings corresponding to the strict traditional rules of the household. Dynamic camera is only reserved for the few climactic scenes, which gives them much more impact.
Reading about the director, it explains a lot that he started out with photography:
>[...] he took up painting and amateur still photography, selling his own blood to buy his first camera.
>>
No. 54916
1,5 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,2 MB, 1920 × 1080
251 kB, 1920 × 1080
286 kB, 1920 × 1080
The Wages of Fear (1953)
What an absolute butt-clencher. Loved how for the first hour or so the movie doesn't really get into the main plot and could've gone in a completely different direction afterwards. All this character development at the beginning really pays off later on during the more thrilling moments.

There's a quasi-remake called Sorcerer (1977) by William Friedkin, looks interesting as well.

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
Some b-movie vibes here and there, but I still found it very moving. The casting is particularly great, with Dafoe as Jesus of course, Harry Dean Stanton and David Bowie in their minor but memorable roles as Saul and Pontius Pilatus, and especially Harvey Keitel with his Brooklyn accent as a gangster Judas is a stroke of genius.
Also great soundtrack by Peter Gabriel.

>>54318
>>54337
>>50889
Thanks again for the recommendations!
>>
No. 54951
454 kB, 800 × 1068
299 kB, 1042 × 733
Watched Chapayev (1934), a hit soviet movie about Chapayev's exploits leading a division during the Russian Civil War.

Despite a lot of prizes, the movie itself isn't that great for a modern viewer, more interesting in creating tropes and a cultural lore to soviet rule. Apparently it was a great success throughout the USSR, even in Poland and this movie was even repeatedly praised by Stalin who forced underlings to bear through repeated viewings.

It did have some pretty comic moments though.
>>
No. 54982
175 kB, 636 × 1000
228 kB, 799 × 824
  1. Nice sincere quite a bit good acting a pair of modern scenes
  2. Sinatra made a good job along the other actors, nice film too. I don't know if in that time everyone respected "The President" to such a degree. Regarding Sinatra, he did another nice picture with "The man with a golden arm" which someday I will watch again... Heroin!
>>
No. 54983
>>54916
you are welcome, I think you are binging on old films :DD neat

>>54888
If you like Zhang I super recommend "Keep cool". It's absolutely different but it rules.