/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 47690
139 kB, 800 × 543
466 kB, 894 × 613
347 kB, 368 × 519
>>47688
Posted about Happiness, but threda autosage'd so here's v4 of the best thread. Here's the repost:

Watched Happiness (1935), a silent movie about a yokel with this stronk wife who live and work a farm, being bled dry by the classes of old Russia - Priests, kulaks, military, thieves, etc. The movie itself really isn't that good save for its historical context.

Our yokel attempts to perform his own funeral which makes all the parasites who live off his work terrified because if he dies, "Then who will feed Russia?". The clergy accuse the fool of sacrilege - the military takes him and they sentence him to die 7 times in the Carpathians. His strong heroic wife joins a kolkhoz, leads a shock worker bridge and scores a bountiful harvest. The collective farm awards her applause, praise and even sheep. There is still trouble in the kolkhoz as remants of the old classes try to steal from the collective and start acts of sabotage. Alcoholics and 'loafers' are shown to be the reason why the collective isn't doing EVEN better.
The evildoers attempt to steal the grain stockpile, the main character who was demoted to standing guard fails to keep safe the people's grain and those damned reactionary forces steal both the warehouse and our protagonist. In the end, the collective DESTROYS them by shucking melons at them because their harvests were so incredible and bountiful that they could assault food thieves with them. After this victory by the shock workers of our collective farm, the couple goes shopping in a fashionable and well stocked clothes store in a nice and organized city.
As they leave the city, they throw their old clothes away and the reactionary forces (now poverty striken bums former clergy) fight over their discarded garbage.
>>
No. 47713
47 kB, 704 × 400
80 kB, 704 × 400
49 kB, 704 × 400
139 kB, 1120 × 608
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Gets going pretty quickly, and then it's just pure butt-clenching terror. Can definitely tell how influential this one was, great stuff.

Cujo (1983)
Based on a Stephen King story, I remember my mother telling me about the story as a child and finding it spooky, but I the movie was rather terrible. Just couldn't care less about the characters, and the dog just isn't all that terrifying for the most part.

>>47690
Sounds kinda horrifying in its own right :D
>>
No. 47714
691 kB, 1920 × 1080
1,6 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,0 MB, 1920 × 1080
1004 kB, 1920 × 1080
>>47614
Yeah, I already watched Jacob's Ladder, liked it, but I wasn't able to take it as seriously since I watched it with some friends

>Carnival of Souls
Thanks for the rec, really liked this one, it's so simple yet well done, a great thrilling story with a haunting ending & the main actress is an absolute babe.
Never heard about it before, quite a hidden gem imo. Together with Kiss Me Deadly (1955) makes me want to watch more of this 50-60s b/w stuff.

If anyone's interested, it's quite short & free on yt in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYg4YWkp0k
>>
No. 47715 Kontra
56 kB, 960 × 400
50 kB, 960 × 400
70 kB, 960 × 400
75 kB, 960 × 400
Now for the real horror, a 3.5h long Nixon biopic.

Jokes aside, usually I hate biopics, but this one was really good. It's mostly filmed in the usual realist fashion, but plentily interspersed with more experimental montages of real footage and a couple of surreal scenes. It casts Nixon as a sort of tragic anti-hero in a Shakespearean fashion, so it was very enjoyable to watch despite its length and a couple of scenes that were just slightly heavyhanded. Really great acting too from an absolute all star cast around Anthony Hopkins.

>>47619
Will check these out, 3rd one looks quite interesting
>>
No. 47808
115 kB, 1184 × 640
230 kB, 1184 × 640
102 kB, 1184 × 640
95 kB, 1184 × 640
This one kinda sucked tbh, the CGI was just meh and the anti-religious theme very on the nose
The ending is also just tragic in an overly edgy way.
I imagine it might be a decent watch with friends, you don't have to pay full attention to it but it doesn't really get boring either.
>>
No. 47809 Kontra
49 kB, 1260 × 710
Also RIP to a real one, holy shit.
>>
No. 47810
>>47808
Hoo shit, I remember watching it as soon as it came out, and the ending was the only thing I kinda liked about it. Granted, it was in horrible quality: some dude just filmed it on camera in some cinema ("ekranka", as we call it in Slavlands) — so this fact may have influenced my judgment. Also, since that dude was filming on simple camera (might even be a phone camera, ugh) without a shotgun mic or anything, you could hear all the audience in the cinema, which really destroyed the immersion. The worst (and at the same time the funniest) moment was when that religious cunt got shot: the audience gave an ovation complete with celebratory cheers and laughter XDDDDDDD.
>>
No. 47839
>>47808
>>47810
I cannot even remember the ending and I watched it years after the initial release.

>decent watch with friends, you don't have to pay full attention to it but it doesn't really get boring either.

Nicely packed and true what a film for such an event must fulfil.
>>
No. 47842
100 kB, 1096 × 656
105 kB, 1096 × 656
106 kB, 1096 × 656
135 kB, 1096 × 656
Cheesy and horny as hell, but I liked this one more than the first one. Actually wanted to just watch it while doing sth else but got sucked in enough to just watch it with full attention.
Gonna watch a couple other Sean Connery movies in commemoration I guess.

>>47810
> the ending was the only thing I kinda liked about it
Yeah, the car scene itself is pretty good actually, but IMO it should've just ended with the top view of the car and then fading to black, instead of the "twist"
Or like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nZUEkAsw8 :DDDDD

>the audience gave an ovation complete with celebratory cheers and laughter XDDDDDDD
Haha, yeah that's understandable

>>47839
Check the yt link above if you want to remember the ending :DDDD
>>
No. 47856
>>47808
>>47810
I watched this one with friends in the cinema back then and when the religous-conservative woman antagonist died people started to clap during the movie. Only time this ever happened when I was around.
>>
No. 47905
114 kB, 1078 × 646
134 kB, 1078 × 646
124 kB, 1078 × 646
126 kB, 1078 × 646
Sean Connery with a bloody 'eavy accent portraying a tough policeman who gets confronted with his inner demons during an interrogation with a pedophile. Very theatrical acting, not surprising since it's based on a play. For the most part consists of three dialogues, interspersed with some shots of brutal British architecture. Good movie.
>>
No. 47911
747 kB, 1181 × 3000
72 kB, 640 × 854
>>47856
>>47810
In Badalona this happened too.

I liked a lot the film. It's pretty faithful to the novel in terms of violence and oppression.

Films: 1. nice but a bit sad.
2. Americans being able to make European films. Well done, good stuff.
>>
No. 47917
So I'm not even 100% sure this belongs here, but since it's a show made by people who also made a very successful show on TV for 20 years, I might be forgiven:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9WfZuNceFDM

Note: I do not want to spark political discussion in this thread. I would like to put this new thing from the creator of South Park on here because I was laughing a lot during these 15 minutes and I've only learned about it by chance.
>>
No. 48009
281 kB, 1920 × 1080
325 kB, 1920 × 1080
245 kB, 1920 × 1080
297 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched The Producers. A bit too eccentric for my taste, but I liked it nonetheless. There are quite a lot of funny lines ("Will you please shut up?" — "You shut up. You are the audience. I am the author. I outrank you!"; "Actors are not animals. They're human beings." — "They are? Have you ever eaten with one?") and characters are so over-the-top that they transcend being ridiculous and become hilarious (my favorite is Franz, an unapologetic Nazi who never parts with his Stahlhelm). Also, those sixties chicks are kinda sexy, especially Ulla.
>>
No. 48145
26 kB, 552 × 442
I currently watched The People Under The Stairs. It reminded me a lot of over the top horror flicks like Mother's Day but has a lot of comedy involved that makes it just a fun and whacky experience.

Can't believe that it was basically illegal in Germany until 2018.
>>
No. 48212
622 kB, 1200 × 1818
236 kB, 1300 × 1046
9 kB, 480 × 360
Nice!

>>48145
Banned? I never like it someone bans things :(
>>
No. 48222
>>48212
Many horror classics in uncut version from the 80s are banned in Germany. "Ban" means that it's either not allowed to receive public promotion ('under the counter' sales only) or in the worst case that the existing copys get confiscated.

Funny enough People Under The Stairs' ban was lifted and it received FSK 16, not even highest rating. I think they worked too much with red lines in the past, where they just made it illegal for showing violence towards minors disregarding any context.
>>
No. 48274
215 kB, 1920 × 1080
144 kB, 1920 × 1080
124 kB, 1920 × 1080
122 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Jigokuhen. It's a dark story of Yoshihide, a Korean painter in the employment of callous and egotistical Lord Horikawa, paramount ruler of Japan. Lord Horikawa wants Yoshihide to paint a picture of Paradise, but Yoshihide can only paint what he sees: pain and suffering caused by Horikawa's rule. Then it becomes even worse for Yoshihide, because Horikawa takes away his daughter and makes her a concubine. Since Yoshihide cannot draw a Paradise, Horikawa orders him to paint Hell instead, and promises to give him back his daughter.

The best thing about the movie is the performances of two male leads: Yoshihide played by Tatsuya Nakadai, who managed to perfectly portray an oppressed and humiliated man who slowly becomes more and more unhinged, and Horikawa played by Kinnosuke Nakamura, who created a very believable image of a decadent tyrant (I watched another film with Nakamura not so long ago — Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo — and there he played a completely different type of villain: a ruthless intelligent schemer Munenori Yagyu; the contrast between the two of these roles took me by surprise, but I'm always impressed by actors capable of playing wide array of characters).
>>
No. 48307
213 kB, 891 × 1300
203 kB, 1440 × 750
100 kB, 1920 × 800
141 kB, 1920 × 800
Re-watched it. Seen it a long time ago, when I was still mostly a child, and don't remembered much exept that I like it in general. And despite that, it has 6.6/10 on IMDB, in my personal opinion this movie way above that. It have a very ground industrial presentation of the near future. There a lot of similarities in the film with the original Alien, but in general it is even more grounded than this - by technology presentation, and in general by plot - there no mystic or real science "fiction" or fantasy like some alien, or monster. You may describe it as criminal drama. The future presented here is not bright, but not ultra-dirty post-apoc or something. And while overall plot is quite standart, because of the character behaivor I'll not say that this is a cliche experience. Antagonists... people in general here are not caricatures in my opinion, lets say without the spoilers that everyone knows what happening and don't pretending to be an idiot.
Movie quite forgotten nowdays sadly, in my opinion it should be more popular classic. IIRC director of this movie later started to make some ultra cheap crap. Sad!
>>
No. 48310
>>48307
Pretty ok movie. I wouldn't say ultra cheap crap but not excellent either.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001382/?ref_=tt_ov_dr
>>
No. 48313
>>48307
I'd put it in the same boat as Battle Beyond the Stars despite the thematic differences, with them both being attempts to remake very good films (High Noon, Seven Samurai) in a way to appeal to the sci-fi fad of the early 80s (from memory, Outland was intended to be a western but no producer would take it as one). They had pretty good visuals but were average movies at best. So yeah, the reason the plot is standard is because it's an adaptation of one of the most iconic and influential westerns of all time.
>>
No. 48424
235 kB, 1920 × 1080
160 kB, 1920 × 1080
237 kB, 1920 × 1080
271 kB, 1920 × 1080
Watched Fraktus. It's basically This Is Spinal Tap, only about a German electronic band instead of British metal one. It would be probably more enjoyable for people interested in German techno/electro scene, since it contains a lot of specific humour and references and they have a lot of cameos of famous electronic musicians and producers, but I with my meager knowledge on the subject still found it pretty funny (the scene when the band reclaims their old instruments was the funniest one, IMO). Also, despite Fraktus' songs are meant to be silly, they're still pretty catchy (just like Spinal Tap's Stonehenge which had the cheesiest lyrics possible and which I unironically like).