/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 5137
349 kB, 1200 × 1200
175 kB, 800 × 800
378 kB, 1200 × 1194
182 kB, 1010 × 1010
Metropoles of the modern age thread.
>>
No. 5138
137 kB, 1024 × 683
107 kB, 962 × 962
588 kB, 1200 × 1200
40 kB, 600 × 337
>>
No. 5141
May you more talk about what you want to discuss, more than picture dump and one line of text? Because I think I not get it fully.
>>
No. 5146
>>5141
I was asking for posting typical everyday scenes, - exposing architecture, traffic, people etc. - from different metropoles of the world that were made during the modernist age.

Of course we can also discuss the topic in general, like what was the promise of the modernist age, why did it fail, di it fail at all, modernism vs. post-modernism etc.

>more than picture dump

i don't see anything inherently wrong with picture threads as long they are on interesting topics and of good quality. After all imageboards are called imageboard for a reason.
>>
No. 5163
I don't have any pictures to share but I want to say that modernism and its configuration/embodiment for example in ctity life is an historic anomaly.

Instead of looking back, I would like to discuss what can be next. But since this is way more difficult I won't start a thread.

Anway I'm about a quarter into Timothy Mitchells Carbon Democracy and it actually made me realize how depended our lifestyle is on energy. It's so common to not think about it. Some do, ofc.
Fossils won't be there forever, what then? And how will that energy production affect our life? Mitchells claims the most oil/fossils have been burned in the last three decades, the last three decades top all the years before summed up together

The american way of life is based on oil. It made these pictures possible.

So much for quick note without real good input. I would like to discuss further things that interest me in that topic with great pleasure.
>>
No. 5164
>>5163
It's not just energy though. You're talking about a whole globally interconnected extraordinarily complex logistics chain. If a market collapses or there's an ecological catastrophe in someplace like Brazil it can end up fucking Japan and Australia, which in turn creates a domino effect of fucking everybody else. Quite frankly I'm surprised it has even lasted this long. I mean just think about it, even the little things you would never even think to concern yourself about like C02 supplies in the culinary industry. UK and EU just got fucked by a shortage. These things don't just come out of thin air. You have a large complex creating and servicing all these different aspects which is made even worse by dumb shit like how chickens will be raised in one country and shipped all the way across the planet to be slaughtered there before getting shipped to another country as food.

I think the biggest threat remains plague though. It has killed off entire human civilizations repeatedly. The antibiotic resistant ones are terrifying. I'd say it'd only take one really good flu virus or ancient now dethawed bacterial pathogen etc to do the 2019 World Tour and it would not only kill off untold millions in its own right but would also manage to crash the global economy. The problem is, these things can have a cascading effect, so things such as crippling the infrastructure and logistics of dense urban centers will act as a force multiplier, override the surge capacity of all hospitals, and even without the social panic will start digging into food, medical, sanitation, and other basic supplies and services upon which the very hourly existence of dense metroplexes depends.

I mean look at Syria. One of the biggest problems was just modern siege tactics. If you so much as took out several highways and rail installations it would cripple and starve NYC ameliorated only by port, all of which is going to be a problem if you have a biohazard quarantine due to some plague. But honestly one of the worst things to me is how these idiots initiated the global dark ages unwittingly by burning all their hard copies while transferring everything to digital. Just think how hard it is to retrieve certain bits of data that were originally stored back in say 1991. Now imagine trying to retrieve that data in 2081. Hell just imagine all the data that was stored to punchcards in the era of OP's pics that either doesn't exist anymore or there's nothing left to read it.
>>
No. 5172
27,4 MB, 564 pages
>>5163
I downloaded this book. Seems to be interesting but I haven't had time to read it yet.
>>
No. 5321
>>5163
>it actually made me realize how depended our lifestyle is on energy.

Yes, it replaced both the manpower as basic power of the economy (replaced by machines driven by steam-, combustion engines or electricity) and a given gold quantity as a basic global economic account unit, (replaced by the petrodollar).

However it should be kept in mind that even grains/wheat are just a form of harvested and distributed solar energy. and that societies and empires of the past were already very much dependent on (this paticular form of) energy. So I doubt the modern age is a complete anomaly in that regards.
>>
No. 5335
>>5321
He states all of what you said in the first chapter and yes humans have always been dependent on energy in some form.
But let's the say the mode of energy is really what makes the difference in how life turns out on this planet, including democracy when you want to follow Mitchells argument.

I have to say I only made it the quarter into the book, it seems to be more interesting in the second half, when its about the age of oil after ww2, so far I got up to the times around WW1 and between the world wars, when oil started lift off more or less. But I have to quit since I have more important things to read and to work on, sadly.
>>
No. 5347
On topic
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fall-maya-civilization-bloody-worsened-195742946.html
The world is littered with the bones of dead urban civilizations
>>
No. 17765 Kontra
test
>>
No. 22750
Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objective, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.