/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 52263
79 kB, 617 × 385
66 kB, 690 × 477
1,7 MB, 4160 × 3120
Do you like (or liked) Lego, Ernst? I used to be a huge fan since 1994, when dad brought me my first set — 8818 Dune Buggy — from Germany, and up until 1999, when I bought my last set — 8204 Sky Flier. Then I started losing interest somewhat because of electronic entertainment like videogames becoming more popular, then Lego started to produce licensed themes like Star Wars which I've seen as betrayal and selling-out, and then Lego went into a direction which killed my interesting in it completely by introducing Bionicle, which didn't really fit either System or Technic (and I don't care what some people say, I still don't consider Bionicle a subtheme of Technic). So, I gave all my Lego to my cousin and for around twenty years I pretty much forgot about it. But a couple of months ago I went to my aunt's and found out that my cousin (who also got bored with Lego a couple of years after me) started getting back into Lego: he bought several new Technic sets (42093 Chevrolet Corvette, 42107 Ducati Panigale plus several smaller ones), and they impressed me quite a bit. Nostalgia hit me hard, and I started checking out new Lego myself out of curiosity. I found out that there are actually some new themes that are of interest to me, like Creator, Ideas and Architecture, and finally I gave in and bought this 31109 Pirate Ship.

So, Ernst, share your Lego stories if you have any, meanwhile I'll be building my ship and maybe post some photos. If this threda wouldn't be of interest to you, I'll just let it die and won't post about Lego anymore.
>>
No. 52264
I had many legos inherited from my siblings. I used manuals to rebuild old models, also got newer models that appeared during the ages I used to play with Lego. Usually I had just two big boxes of lego elements, and had to search for the manuals in a big heap of lego everytime I wanted to build something. Good times, good toy for kids.
>>
No. 52265 Kontra
1,5 MB, 4160 × 3120
1,4 MB, 3120 × 4160
1,2 MB, 4160 × 3120
  1. A very thicc instruction.
  2. The skellington has been improved. The one I'm used to had those ball joints in his shoulders, and the arms were all dingly-dangly and eventually they just fell off. This one's arms are tight as hell.
  3. The instruction suggest putting the shark's eyes with concave part downward, but it looked too derpy to me, so I put them upside down. Now it looks like a dangerous (but still cute) carnivore.
>>52264
>Usually I had just two big boxes of lego elements
I had only one and not so big (it was the nineties in the ex-USSR, Lego was way too expensive for parents' then-current wages; still, my dad bought me new sets pretty often). I liked Lego mostly because I was able to build my own projects, so I just mixed all the parts. Sometimes I wanted to rebuild the official sets (especially my biggest one, 6915 Warp Wing Fighter), and looking for necessary parts was a difficult task in itself.
>>
No. 52266
11 kB, 600 × 400
5 kB, 350 × 350
Yes, I played with that as a kid. We build spaceships that actually could shoot - sadly up to now my biggest engineering accomplishment of my life. For that, we took a slim plate as base, then added a long row of 2x2 flat stones with smooth surface, so no connectors on top (blue). That row would server as the cannon pipe later. Right next to that row, we placed another flat row, but this time with connectors on top (green). On this row we placed a normal row of width 2 spherial bricks in a way that one row of the bricks would overlap a part of the flat row, so the flat row was now reduced to width 1 (red). From the other side of the row we just added normal bricks (also red), and on top of those bricks we would add another row of bricks, but placed those so that they covered the other row of our cannon shaft from the top (yellow). Now you have a single row hole with a smooth floor. Now you could put a single lego stone (1x1 width) flat in that hole and blow, and the air pressure would fire it out.

You could make several of those in a row and then fire multiple cannons at once, like a harmonica.
>>
No. 52268 Kontra
1,4 MB, 4160 × 3120
1,4 MB, 4160 × 3120
39 kB, 800 × 600
  1. What I like about the Creator theme is that the sets are made of lotsa small parts that can later be reused for your own creations. A regular ship from the Pirate theme would just have three huge wood-stylized pieces that you could only use to build another ship.
  2. Lotsa parts with different colors (brown, light brown, black, white, blue, yellow). I guess the purpose of that is that it's easier to see what goes where in the instruction.
>>52266
>We build spaceships that actually could shoot - sadly up to now my biggest engineering accomplishment of my life.
That reminds me of how I figured out how the prison wall in 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up blows away. It bothered me for quite a while, and I wanted to build something like that myself (the set itself was too expensive to buy), but then I remembered that I have a spring from one of the Technic sets. So I made the spring mechanism in which a brick held the spring under tension and when a 2x1 tile pushed the brick to the side, the spring released and pushed the brick through the hole together with the outer wall. It worked perfectly and I was so proud of myself for figuring it out. :-DDDDDDD
>>
No. 52270
45 kB, 500 × 380
49 kB, 640 × 569
31 kB, 393 × 294
95 kB, 690 × 431
I mostly just played with bionicles & racers (those had really ebin pull-back motors), never got into building my own stuff that much. Though I had one of those large sets from which you could build a ton of different stuff (not sure what they were called). But I rather just took apart and rebuilt what I had :D

Never got back into Lego, though I recently started building some Gunpla to keep my restless hands occupied while watching/listening to lectures/podcasts.
>>
No. 52271 Kontra
1,3 MB, 4160 × 3120
Damn, it takes longer than I thought. I think I'll take a break and go make a dinner.

>>52270
>pull-back motors
Never liked pull-backs much, although back then they were among Technic sets (Racers came later) and rather than being a self-contained part you had to make the motor yourself with some gears and rubber thread. Modern pull-back motors are actually kinda cool, I think my cousin has one.

>I had one of those large sets from which you could build a ton of different stuff (not sure what they were called)
Freestyle, maybe?
>>
No. 52282
318 kB, 1627 × 1402
460 kB, 2325 × 1735
After I broke my right collarbone, I was forced to become left-handed for a while. My coordination was bad, ofc, and my sister bought me these Lego sets to practice. They're from the Star Wars: Microfighters series. I got pretty good using lefty, but after the sling came off those skills weren't needed and so they faded away.

>>52266
>>52268
Kinda jealous of your ingenuity for adding functionality to Legos. These Star Wars sets come with pre-made spring-loaded pieces, so they shoot bricks without my having to do anything.
>>
No. 52285 Kontra
1,8 MB, 4160 × 3120
1,7 MB, 3120 × 4160
1,3 MB, 4160 × 3120
1,3 MB, 3120 × 4160
  1. Love these latticed windows. Always wanted them when I was a kid, but I never got any. Now I got 'em.
  2. Mast is made of small Technic axles and is a bit thin for my taste. It also feels weak, it seems that one careless movement can break it. At least those ropes keep it steady somewhat.
  3. Sails are made of separate plates. It looks pretty weird, especially if you're familiar with cloth sails from Pirate theme sets, but I guess the point of these plates is to use them for alternative builds of this set (skull island and tavern).
  4. The figurehead. It's supposed to be a mermaid, I believe, with red parts being hair, yellow parts being skin, green parts being tail and blue parts being her bra à la Disney's Ariel.
>>52282
>Star Wars: Microfighters
Damn, Lego made a fuckton of Star Wars ships of all possible sizes. I guess these are among the smaller ones (the only ones that are smaller are from Advent Calendars, but those are, like, ten pieces each), are more play-oriented and aimed at children, while those fuckhuge UCS ships are exhibition-oriented. And, despite my dislike for Lego Star Wars (see OP post), I still wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those UCS sets, especially TIE Fighter or AT-AT.
>>
No. 52286 Kontra
1,6 MB, 4160 × 3120
So, the end result. I think it looks badass, and it's really big despite not being very expensive (compared to other Lego sets, at least).
>>
No. 52417
47 kB, 499 × 313
261 kB, 400 × 300
>>52286
Noice!

>>52271
>Freestyle, maybe?
Nope, found it, it was pic related
Not suprising that I picked up Gunpla later I guess :D
>>
No. 52426
>>52285
I don't know and don't care about disney-era stuff, but from before times almost all stuff was from the movies, I remember only very limited amount of EU
>>
No. 52427
262 kB, 560 × 380
25 kB, 400 × 304
>>52426
And EU stuff was most often most odd choise. Like "TIE Crawler" from one of dark empire background, and in one of TIE series one of models was automatic TIE Droid from world devastators, again, from dark empire. Like wtf, it is cute to have them, but what is the target audience for them? Why from all EU stuff that?
>>
No. 52428
510 kB, 1634 × 1410
481 kB, 2097 × 1800
147 kB, 800 × 732
972 kB, 2400 × 1044
>>52417
>4048
This is not unlike modern Creator sets, where all the set variants are thematically linked, and the set itself provides pieces that are best fit for building something in that theme too.

>>52427
>what is the target audience for them? Why from all EU stuff that?
The target audience are probably SW geeks, and they went into EU stuff probably because there was a "drought" of sorts of SW movies between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, but they had to support one of their most best-selling themes by designing new sets. Re-releasing old but populrar ships with different size and piece count for the n-th time would probably not go well with fans, so they decided to use some designs from EU. As for why those particular designs, maybe they just couldn't get the licenses for other stuff, I dunno?
>>
No. 52429
98 kB, 340 × 200
31 kB, 360 × 450
107 kB, 960 × 540
42 kB, 640 × 459
>>52428
Well dark empire never was popular among normies really. I always wanted lego kyle katarn's HWK-290 or Raven's Claw, now these are popular and known EU stuff, and super easy target for set but they never did it. Outrider is also easy target, all these sets might be done with character figures, perfect for lego adoption.
I think sets I mentioned was just random. They was around the time they did Force Unleashed game set and it was an actual PR.
Also I like this fan made lego Eclipse
>>
No. 52432
155 kB, 450 × 800
41 kB, 640 × 360
142 kB, 450 × 800
224 kB, 450 × 800
>>52429
Fourth ship looks more realistic and vivid than the computer models they use today. So: Why are scifi moviemakers so fucking idiots? That doesn't mean the can't use computers to ease things, but the base model should be ... a model. Look how gorgeous this is.
>>
No. 52434
>>52432
Damn, the amount of greebling is totally insane. The dude that made this must have an angelic patience.
>>
No. 52488
618 kB, 800 × 800
426 kB, 700 × 476
>>52432
You can make cool science fiction pictures with CGI. Just modern movie makes are has no taste and not artists. This ship is from comic actually. But back in the 90s a lot of EU stuff was actually backed by the help of ILM designers.

I like engines on this version, there a bunch of conflicting concepts of engines on this ship and this lego pro did the best ones.
>>
No. 52489
2,9 MB, 4032 × 3024
3,6 MB, 4032 × 3024
2,1 MB, 3840 × 2160
Not quite Lego, but I got reminded that I wanted to build this one for a while because of this thread, so I hope yall don't mind if I share my little friend here
>>
No. 52491
>>52489
Oh wow this is cool stuff!
I'd picked red one tho, not transperant
>>
No. 52492
1,1 MB, 1600 × 1200
>>52491
>I'd picked red one tho, not transperant
It's strange that there isn't one with its natural blackish red color. I wonder if it's possible to paint over the red one and get the proper look.
>>
No. 52493
>>52492
At this point you actually may buy alive one lol
>>
No. 52522
285 kB, 1024 × 768
171 kB, 1200 × 1200
228 kB, 1200 × 900
84 kB, 1280 × 800
>>52491
>I'd picked red one tho, not transperant
I like how the clear one looks more "abstract", but it also was the only colorway available when I ordered :D
Though I even might have gone with the blue one cause of the Pepsi Lobster meme

>>52492
>I wonder if it's possible to paint over the red one and get the proper look.
I found some pics of it being painted, probably with spray paint
>>
No. 53002
>>52266
thats amazing
>>
No. 53449
10,0 MB, 1920 × 1080, 0:11
99 kB, 690 × 487
106 kB, 690 × 486
Rebuilt my ship into one of its alternative builds: the Skull island. It's not as big and impressive as the ship, but it still looks cool and can do klatz-klatz. It is also a shout-out to classic Lego Pirates sets like 6279 Skull Island and 6264 Forbidden Cove.
>>
No. 53451
88 kB, 800 × 451
824 kB, 744 × 480
27 kB, 400 × 292
My legos are still in the closet in my old room at my mom's house. I haven't lived there permanently for 1.5 decades.

As a child, I loved lego.

My grandma still had all the legos from my father and uncle, and they were awesome because they had no specific parts and you coud build whatever you wanted. Of course, the only moving parts where wheels...

But you could build much more awesome cars with it than pictured. My brother and I experimented a lot, trying to built a cart that could go down the stair rails at our grandmother's. we never managed, it always fell apart at the second turn.

My dad gifted me blacktron and m-tron sets, which he build with me. While he did it, he was patient, let me work out the instructions, didn't push me, just helped me along a litte.

Thank you for this thread, OP. It gave me positive memories of my brother and my father. Most of the time, my father did not treat me all to well and used to put me down a lot. Grabbed me in the neck and shook me for running down the stairs, ridiculed me whenever I failed at something, got angry at me when I was bad at football when he tried to teach me, got angry at me when I didn't learn cycling fast enough, got angry at me when I walked past the screen when he watched football on the telly, got more angry at me when I tried to crawl below his line of sight as not block the view, got angry at me for being scared of hime, etc. I had to be in bed when he came home, because he was provoked into anger by my sheer presence. And boy, could he get angry. His whole body trembled, he yelled, he stomped, and he was 186cm tall and weighed 90kg, which means he was more than four times my weight, and he scared the everliving shit out of me.

He loved my younger brother over all, though, which made me jealous as fuck, and I beat the shit out of the little fucker whenever I got the chance. Used to beat his head on the floor. Maybe I was an asshole, but looking back, I had damn good reasons to be one.

From both of our parents, my sister and I always got the scraps our brother left over. Normally, it is the middle child that gets neglected. With our family, it was the two accidents that got neglected. To this day, when I visit my mom, it is "Hello X". When my sister comes to visit it's "Hello Y". When our brother comes to visit, it's "Hello my darling, I missed you, how are you!??!", hugs and kisses.

With my father, my role was supposed to be to shut the fuck up and be as silent, invisible, strong, grown-up, capable and manly as possible, which might be a little much to ask from a kindergartner. When I was 6, he tried to teach me chess. I was crap at it, and it was another dissapointment to have sired a loser at chess. A few months later, he died, which made me happy and sad at the same time.

Well, there are some positive memories of both my brother and my father. I don't know if that is good or bad. It feels like finding speckles of gold in a steaming pile of shit.

>>52266
I feel you. The lego stuff feels much smarter than everything I created after it. I think it's the limitations. With lego, you got to work with what you have got, and that makes it all the better when you manage to get something to work. No parts can be made to order. Well, they can for the guys who design the sets, obviously. Nowadays, there are seemingly no parts that are not set-specific.
>>
No. 53452
90 kB, 690 × 489
592 kB, 1234 × 1521
549 kB, 1726 × 1220
222 kB, 2292 × 1020
>>53451
Damn, dude, your childhood was fucked up. Kinda feel bad for making you remember it, but I guess facing your traumatic memories can be therapeutic in a way, and I'm glad if you were able to reconcile at least to some extent with your dad, even if posthumously.

>blacktron and m-tron
Old space sets were really nice. The subthemes that were releasing during my Lego childhood were Spyrius, Exploriens and UFO, but I saw some of the older subthemes in catalogues and I liked them all, especially Ice Planet 2002 — I liked the premise of exploring the frozen world, the aesthetics and the combination of white, blue and ORANGE TRANSPARENT colors. Nowadays the space niche is unfortunately occupied with Star Wars, but they do sometimes release interesting space-themed stuff, like the recent 31107 Space Rover Explorer (the minifigure even has the Lego Classic Space emblem on it, that's cute) which I'm probably going to buy sometimes.
>>
No. 53466
290 kB, 1300 × 1065
I had a lot of technics lego growing up and I got really really good at making super creative shit.

I once build a power fist thing out of it that fit over your hand, you would hold on to a bar in the middle of it and you could operate a pneumatic pump with your fingers that would open and close the fist, so you could pick things up with it.

I think I was about 11 or 12 when I built it, I remember my mom was super proud and showed it to everyone who called to the house, the thing is still in one piece today - in fact it's all I have left of my collection of lego, when I moved out of home at the age of 16 my mom gave all my lego away to a charity shop, dumped my moterbike I had left in her shed and had my dog put down.

In other words, typical boomer cunt who disposes of all things not useful to her
>>
No. 53467
24 kB, 480 × 466
perhaps that was too much personal info, but I'm still mad all these years later about losing my lego, having my motorbike dumped in a skip and my doggo Coco being put to sleep.

Especially considering I had a huge collection of lego that would probably be worth 1000s of euros today, and that I have my own kids now who would really love to play with it. I'm buying them lego sometimes now and that shit is super fucking expensive
>>
No. 53468
I had two Bionicles that I thought were cool but no other lego.
>>
No. 53470
>>53466
>I once build a power fist thing out of it that fit over your hand
That's cool, it reminds me of that dude who built himself a prosthetic arm out of Lego.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFymKqUwodY

>>53467
>I'm still mad all these years later about losing my lego
I sorta know that feel. I gave my old Lego to my cousin myself, but now I kinda regret it. He still kept it all though, as far as I know. Perhaps I should ask him if he still needs it and if not, I could take it back and build some of my old stuff. It would be very nostalgic.
>>
No. 53472
My mother harasses me to throw away my legos still but I will not because they were my only friends growing up because she wouldn't let me play in any team sports or join any bands
>>
No. 53474
23 kB, 480 × 360
>>53472
>My mother harasses me to throw away my legos
>because she wouldn't let me play in any team sports or join any bands
What the fuck is wrong with her, is she some sort of control freak? Every mom should be glad if her kid wants to join a sports club or play in a band. Wouldn't be surprised if the same type of mom that forbids stuff like that will complain some years laters that her son is sitting in front of the computer too much.
>>
No. 53666
>>53452
I don't blame you, we can't have trigger warnings for everything.

What I liked most about the bigger space sets is that they were modular. In 6981, the both cockpits at the sides detach and the small cars can be parked inside, and I still think that's so cool. It is so much fun to play with.

> the frozen world, the aesthetics and the combination of white, blue and ORANGE TRANSPARENT colors.
Oh, I was a sucker for neon transparent stuff, too. I loved blacktron transparent covers. M-Tron somehow always looked evil to me.
>>
No. 53670
86 kB, 690 × 492
125 kB, 920 × 690
>>53666
>Oh, I was a sucker for neon transparent stuff, too.
It's kinda funny that they started to make the most unusual parts in transparent colors later. Like in the small Aquazone set that I had not only the cockpit glass is transparent, but also the propeller and even the aquanaut's mask. I always wondered from what material that mask would be made in real life and what is the purpose of it being transparent. And the alien from my 6915 even had a transparent heda, which is even weirder. I gotta admit that it does look really cool though.
>>
No. 53735
75 kB, 720 × 934
>>53472
Honestly have you considered blowing her up with C4? That's incredibly evil behaviour. Kidding ofc / don't know your mom obviously and clearly she was also fucked up as a child / doesn't know what she's doing but I've also had a control freak mother for a while and it does so much damage, takes so much out of your life the regret in hindsight of letting that happen / wondering what else was lost really does you in. u gotta do something man
>>
No. 53742
>>53670
I really liked that alien helmet in the second pic, but I used a completely black head underneath because I thought it look cooler.
>>
No. 53781
138 kB, 497 × 690
It might be weird, but nowadays, this little house-set fascinates me much more than aliens and space ships. Imagine all the stories that could play out in the house!
  • A child gets sick, the doctor needs to come, the child gets well again.
  • The father's car breaks down and has to be towed. The house is burgled!
  • The police arrives to investigates footprints in the garden!
  • One of the trees grew to tall and has to be cut back.
  • A window is broken and needs to be replaced.
and this is just from the top of my head.

I cannot think of a single story to play out with aliens and space ships, except for flying through space, fighting and shooting, etc.

This is probably me getting old, because as a child, I loved the spaceships. But I loved them for their gimmicks and flashy colors, not for the stories that could be made up to inhabit them.

Maybe flashy tech-toys make the assburger.
>>
No. 53785
>>53781
But all your stories involve people and this is just an empty house and car, so they only way any of this could have happened was before the great neutron bomb attack.
>>
No. 53788 Kontra
>>53785
This is indeed a problem, and of course, the figurines have no chance of going through the doors or driving in the car. You can, of course, still use figurines from different cars and imagine they fit.

And please don't destroy my idyllic scenes, it's mean.