/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

Currently at Radio Ernstiwan:

Animumusik by Yuno

M3U - XSPF

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 53533
45 kB, 453 × 604
I want to be a creative person and come up with ideas for an animated series, film, comic, book, visual novel, and whatnot. However I always end up disappointed in what I come up with. What would your creative process look like if you had one? I picked up Hayao Miyazaki's book "Starting Point 1979-1996" since I thought reading his thoughts on it would be a good place to start.
>>
No. 53541
>>53533
>What would your creative process look like if you had one?
For me, it's pretty basic. Start with a general idea of "draw this", then pick up a pencil. Draw a lot of quick lines, erase them and draw slightly better lines. Repeat until a composition emerges, and the details come into focus. Stop when I'm sure I can't do better, or when I'm swallowed by despair. Sometimes drawings just suck and can't be fixed. It's a lot of trial and error, informed by things that have worked in the past, along with studying what other cartoonists have done. But doing is the important part. Creativity is a habit, a practiced skill.

>animated series, film, comic, book, visual novel, and whatnot.
I've had less success in this area. The longer ideas, the narratives etc. I think in small bites, quick intertactions. But I fill notebooks with literally everything. Things I see, conversations I hear, endless 'what if?' questions, or possible settings. This is the 'idea net' which Orson Scott Card described in his book 'How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy'. Everything is a potential story, and writers collect the pieces while most people ignore them. Good book, would recommend.

Anyway, the point is most ideas are worthless, but I never know which will lead somewhere so I write them all down. The last comic I posted in the Drawing Thread, The Duel, started with a couple of sentences I wrote down in a doctor's waiting room. That concept wasn't much, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the finished product. But it exists. It's a thing now, not just an idea. To cross that gap, I put time into developing it, scribbling down thumbnail sketches, asking 'what happens next?'. Time is the main factor. Focusing on one idea over a long period of time until it takes form, until something solid emerges from the initial potential. The problem is knowing when to quit. Which ideas should I pursue, and which should I ignore? I'll admit I'm terrible at deciding that.

If you're disappointed in your ideas, keep working on them. You'll get better ideas and then be disappointed in those, too. It's a long process. You improve, but are never satisfied. Your taste exceeds your skill:

Ira Glass on Storytelling
https://vimeo.com/24715531
>>
No. 53548
>>53533
First of all, writer's block is an actual thing. You can't fight it off if it happens and have to withstand it as it'll take its toll on you.
Track your interactions within societal circumstances and keep track of your reactions toward others — more often than not, it's the fact that you're being influenced by the mass that affects your ability to "be yourself"; unhinged.
Having picked up Miyazaki was a good idea, I suggest spending some time by yourself and delving deep into your inner persona — what drives you, what puzzles you?
A monologue is more cathartic than analyzing others and seeing what "the world" is doing.
Lastly, a creative process cannot be criticized, it is what it is. Do not thwart it, and instead resort to the stream of consciousness technique (see Wordsworth).
>>
No. 53556
18 kB, 288 × 425
read read read read

>I picked up Hayao Miyazaki's book "Starting Point 1979-1996" since I thought reading his thoughts on it would be a good place to start.

anyway this sure is a very nice start because Miyazaki is a hell of a professional
>>
No. 53557
>>53541
>The duel
>ung?
>https://ernstchan.xyz/int/thread/40505
woah I did not know I missed so much stuff there