/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 5626
468 kB, 2048 × 1370
221 kB, 1227 × 1817
Now as far as I know, Linux can update on the fly because it only runs a process with an actual hard copy of the data the process needs.

This means you pretty much never have to restart a GNU/Linux machine.
Why is not every other OS doing the same? It's embarrasing.

Is there a good reason not to do that or is it impossible to implement it into your OS even after a quazillion of updates (which you can count because they lock you out of your pc every time :DDDD)

I think this can be an OS - general, but please eggsblain.

Pic 2 is IQ 89 but still true on most levels
>>
No. 5631
>>5626
>Is there a good reason not to do that or is it impossible to implement it into your OS even after a quazillion of updates
Legacy codebase, usually no one can figure how the shit before them worked.
>>
No. 5635
It's not true that you never have to re-start a linux machine. There are kernel updates that require a re-boot of the kernel. For a lot of kernel updates you can get away without a re-boot but not for all.

There is also the problem of running processes starting other processes (either linked libs or executables through popen etc) that can go sour if those others have been updated but your process wasn't re-started. It's rare but it can happen.
One example would be an update to fuse or the filesystem-module (which can be triggered by a kernel update of any sort) and you trying to mount nfs or sshfs afterwards. The cleanest solution there is simply to re-boot imho, even if live-patching would work.

But these are corner cases and I generally agree that other systems would do well to learn more from Linux. Though really we are mostly talking about Windows when it comes to an OS not being able to do something. No matter which Unix(oid) you use (as long as you use it as a Unix and aren't an oblivious GUI-user on a Macbook), looking at Windows and DOS from a distance always boggles the mind.
>>
No. 5672
>For a lot of kernel updates you can get away without a re-boot but not for all.
Most of the time, it's easier just to restart.
>>
No. 5715
>>5672
I have a Linux Laptop i didnt restart it for 2 years. Occasionally im using apt-get update. What am I doing wrong or right?
>>
No. 5717
Why is everyone so obsessed with not to restart? Restart is like waking up refreshed in the morning after eight hours of sleep.
>>
No. 5719
>>5717
Programs can have sleep(.3) thats enough.

But seriously, installing win updates for 20 min is just retarded.
>>
No. 5724
Any onions on which will be the next "it just werx" distro after Ubuntu is going more and more to shit?
>>
No. 5728
>>5724
Never used anything but Arch (and Ubuntu for wörk, but that hardly counts because I am booting Ubuntu as systemd-nspawn container from within a running Arch.

Wasn't Mint supposed to be the new Ubuntu? What happened to that?

Also I think RHEL/Fedora "just works", doesn't it?
>>
No. 5733
>>5724
>Ubuntu
>it just werx
I appreciate efforts of Canonical, but sometimes it's don't.
In my opinion things haven't changed much since middle 2000s. What's more, it has become shittier (GTK3).
>>
No. 5737
>>5728
Mint is based on Ubuntu as far I know.

>>5733

>it has become shittier (GTK3).

Exactly my point.

Newest glorious GNOME idea is disabling all user-apllied themes for next version of GTK.
>>
No. 5738 Kontra
>>
No. 6057
Talking about Noobuntu, I've updated it as it wanted, and sound has disappeared.
Until such usual issues will become unusual, there will be no year of Desktop Linux.
>>
No. 6068
>>5717
Sysadmins use uptime to measure their e-penis. Servers take forever to reboot because raid-controller and shit that needs to initialize. Before systemd Linux took a long time to boot too. Everyone still laugh at windows servers that are horrible unless they are virtiualzed.
Combine that with management who thinks you can run a redundant service on only one server and you will start to understand why reboot is "bad". Then kids in the basement started to measure their e-penis with uptime too.
>>
No. 6069
>>5738
Sounds good. If I want to use themes I'd use Enlightenment.
>>
No. 6070
>>6069
>Gnome cancer

>good

kek
>>
No. 6167
>>6070
One day when you have used everything from Win 3.11 to [insert name of at least 16 DE or WM] not including CDE and older Apple you will hopefully have reached an important realisation in your life and the GUI will not matter because everything is almost the same and if you can't adapt you shouldn't be using computers anyway.

Right now Gnome is the best integrated DE in my preferred distribution and at the moment the best DE if you prefer to be using not horrible ancient technology. You can memearrow all you want but in the end your shitty whatever will still be running on Xorg.
>>
No. 6168
>>6167
>will still be running on Xorg
Is it a problem?
>>
No. 6172 Kontra
>>6167
So much words used, so little content besides shilling even more for Gnomecancer...

>>6168
Wayland is systemd tier cancer compared to Xorg.
>>
No. 6175
>>6168
Yes. X has always been a problem but nobody got around to do anything about it until now, sadly.

>>6172
Oh look. The elusive caveman still running his pizzabox with sunos. The only ones not using systemd are those unfortunate enough to be running older Debian or CentOS 6. Both it and Wayland fixes real problems and makes good entertainment when some kid or grumpy soon to be ex sysadmin complains about non-issues.
>>
No. 6179 Kontra
>>6168
It is problem if you are a fanboy of Wayland. Sadly it seems like almost all programmers are rabid fanboys of something. I don't get this.
>>
No. 6202 Kontra
>>6175
>X has always been a problem but nobody got around to do anything about it until now, sadly.
Oh really? I thought that lack of drivers and abscence of terminal-less configuration are much bigger problems than X.
>>
No. 6209
>>5715
Imagine you have a program running. It links to some library. Now, you update the library, but don't restart the program. The program now still uses the old library.
>>
No. 6220 Kontra
>>6202
Good joge... no wait you are serious.

I can't be arsed anymore. Why try to explain new to people who likes configuring scan lines in their XFree86 conf.

"Bbb..but you don't need to do that anymore because progress!" Yes, exactly, progress.

>>6179
> fanboy
> wayland
No need, it is the future that has been chosen. You will get on the train sooner or later.

I just realizes why I stopped coming here. This is the basement of the Internet.
>>
No. 6228 Kontra
>>6220
All you've provided in favor of Wayland so far is empty marketing blurbs like "it's the future" and "it's progress". Yes, you're a fanboy.
>>
No. 6243 Kontra
>>6220
>it is the future that has been chosen.

I just feel sorry for you, you are obviously severely fucked in the head.
>>
No. 11056
377 kB, 1024 × 576
lol Gnome fucking up itself even harder, Application menus feature status: removed

https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10/09/farewell-application-menus/
>>
No. 11057
Can someone give a Wine walkthrough.
t; brainlet
>>
No. 11058
7 kB, 500 × 270
>>11057
Most important
>>
No. 11059
>>11057
Usually it just works like "wine program.exe"
>>
No. 11066
342 kB, 1280 × 1024
>>11056
I used modern Gnome because it was the default in Debian.

sincerely speaking, I did not like it. Now I'm using Mate because I tried XFCE from the 1st Debian and it's ok, but nothing special.
>>
No. 11078
1,6 MB, 1920 × 1080
1,3 MB, 1920 × 1080
>>11066
Ahhh, WindowMaker, very cute, last time I ran it I got somehow confused with all the old desktop concepts..., then I thought having a vertical and a horizontal dock (or panel, or both) with a modern DE would be the recent interpretation of the NextStep desktop.

I also finally managed to install compton compositor today and so I can have transparent menus on xfce now :3

Now I just need to learn to configure Compton Blur effects to make xfce really modern.
>>
No. 11082
262 kB, 1366 × 768
Oh, it's good to see that this thread still lives!

>>11057
Check out the guides at https://www.winehq.org/ (especially the
https://appdb.winehq.org/ appdb and wiki for specific advice). Another good
resource is the arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine

If you have a specific problem, I can try to answer it, but it's best to first
get a basic overview over how you use it; then you'll be able to phrase most
questions in a way others will understand and help you.

In other news, I've recently re-discovered that I had set up qutebrowser to
spawn an nvim instance for writing into text fields (such as this post). Feels
incredibly good and has motivated me to write more on Ernstchan again. It's
like the difference between a great pencil and a shitty IKEA pen.
>>
No. 11089
>>11057
sudo apt-get install wine

wine yourprogramm.exe

That should do the trick.

PlayOnLinux is the GUI-Version I think.
But its been years since I was using wine.
>>
No. 11373
44 kB, 600 × 450
>>11082
My nerdness levels have been increasing

From Vim to Zsh to now Tmux

Now the most logical step would be tiling wm

>>11078
I got very confused too

But it ruled

P.S. I don't like MATE either