/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 5748
53 kB, 308 × 475
What are some phrases, ideas, aphorisms or passages that've influenced your worldview?

Jim Goad has always been my continuing source of inspiration. Few people have the guts, gumption and grit to live the life he's experienced, and even fewer have the talent and tenacity to write about his past in such magnificent prose. I'd call him a 21st Century Henry Louis Mencken or Friedrich Nietzsche, but frankly, the comparisons would only go so far in encapsulating his scintillating style.

My favorite passage comes from The Shit Magnet, his personal memoirs he wrote while locked up. There's lots of prose, so I'll edit it down to the most poignant parts.

>Guilt is the idea that we are finite, that we are mortal, that we decay, and such notions dampen one’s life instinct...Humans typically try to cure themselves of guilt by infecting someone else. Guilt becomes something you wish on your enemies. When you can make someone feel guilty, it’s easier to control them...When a society feels guilty, it starts to decline. When it can isolate its guilt outside of its borders and punish the scapegoat, it prospers.
>When you look at heroes and villains throughout literature, the only real differences seem to be that the heroes wear brighter costumes and are better at killing. The biggest killers always declare themselves saints...all viewed their acts as purification rituals.
>I’m very suspicious of any group which hides behind the idea of its innate innocence...Does suffering make you innocent? No, it only makes you unhappy. But the idea of having been wronged is universally used as an excuse to do some sinning of your own. The idea of someone else’s guilt is used as justification for preying upon them. The notion of righteous revenge against a guilty enemy serves as a shield to cover the raw animal urge to dominate, destroy, consume, and flourish.
>I call it the Scum Principle. Lots of Volk think Nazis are scum. Why? Because Nazis thought Jews were scum...Or they’ll call right-wingers scum because the righties call leftists scum...It’s like a huge game of Tag, and no one wants to be “it.” It’s as if guilt were a Christmas fruitcake no one wants, so they rewrap it and give it away again. And no one seems to see any hypocrisy or contradictions in all this. Truth is, most alleged “humanists” have no qualms about dehumanizing those who stand outside of the in-crowd, it’s just that they insist you pick the right groups to call scum.
>All individuals and social groups tend to ascribe filth and scumminess to their enemies. What is scum, if not a lower life form? Degrading the enemy and depicting him as something less than human justifies any suffering which may befall him, especially at your hands. The pretense of one’s own purity is always a precursor for perpetrating atrocities upon the “scum.” I say that we’re all scum, but especially the ones who consider themselves pure.
>>
No. 5749
>>5748
Sounds like nihilistic world view to me.
>>
No. 5750
>>5749
To those that haven't read Jim from the beginning of his writing career to his current work, he comes across that way. Rest assured, Jim doesn't have much respect for nihilism. I recall asking him what he thought of them, and without missing a beat, he replied that they were hypocrites. If they truly believed nothing in life mattered, then they should kill themselves because continuing to live proved that life had meaning.
>>
No. 5754
1,9 MB, 1920 × 1200
>>5748
i like your quoted part. never heard of him. i may give his writings a try.

Hanlon's Razor[1] is one of my favs; it really influenced me.
>Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I've read it in »Murphy's Law Book Two: More Reasons Why Things Go Wrong!« the first time. It stuck to me ever since.

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
>>
No. 5918
There are several quotes which changed my life and which I only wish I had known even a few years ago to keep me from being a fool and then regretting it, but the most useful one I have found is "Much suffering has come into the the world by things left unsaid." -Dostoevsky

The implication is you should open your mouth and blurt it out before the chance goes away. Even if you sound like an idiot (to a woman usually or your parents or a friend or a perspective employer) because it's better to make a fool of yourself than to steal the truth from the other person.

Serious question I haven't been able to find the answer to, why did he hate Poles or Poland?
>>
No. 5920
137 kB, 480 × 480
I just youtube'd Jim Goad, interesting first 5 minutes of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLWp-m2cd_U

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_Me!_(magazine)
>>
No. 5925
>>5750
>If they truly believed nothing in life mattered, then they should kill themselves because continuing to live proved that life had meaning.
The same bullshit argument that Dostoevsky used, heh. Even if life has no meaning, what is the point in killing yourself? Continuing to live proves nothing, you either carry on with your nonsensical existence, or commit an equally nonsensical suicide.
>>
No. 5932
>>5925
It's not a bullshit argument, these obnoxious atheists literally claim "because I don't understand everything about the universe this immediate moment, and because my life is not forever, I will conclude there is no point to anything!"

You don't understand nothing because you haven't lived yet you muppets. You're supposed to go out and discover for decades and become a wise old man who figures out the game, not expect to know everything at the age of 20, especially when you spent the past 15 years sitting in a classroom getting dumb.
>>
No. 5937
>>5932
>You're too young to understand that!
Attack the argument, not the person. You still didn't explain (and neither did Goad or Dostoevsky) why should one kill himself if he understands that life has no inherent meaning. Until that, the autistic screeching "kys, nihilists!" remains bullshit.

>because I don't understand everything about the universe this immediate moment, and because my life is not forever, I will conclude there is no point to anything
That is actually a pretty rational approach: if you cannot find the evidence that something exists, you can assume that it doesn't exist. You can always change your opinion later, if presented with proofs that it does.
>>
No. 5938 Kontra
>>5748
>Degrading the enemy and depicting him as something less than human
It sounds like he thinks that's something everyone does. I can't agree with it. Not everyone wishes and hates his enemy to have endless sufferings. Most people actually focus on how to improve and empower what they think is right, instead of obsessing about wrongs and enemies. It's called being constructive.

Also you titled your post "quotes you live by", yet after reading that quote, i have no idea how you would live by it. Do you stop hating enemies and instead just ignore them, or what is it that you do? Especially when reading your other posts here:
>these obnoxious atheists
>you muppets
>sitting in a classroom getting dumb
it just sounds like you follow that exact path of "ascribing guilt and scumminess on your enemies" (i this case: atheists, people who disagree with you itt, public education). So again, how did those quotes actually improve your life?

>>5918
>"Much suffering has come into the the world by things left unsaid." -Dostoevsky
>The implication is you should open your mouth and blurt it out before the chance goes away. Even if you sound like an idiot

Highly questionable if that is the actual meaning of the quote. The actual quote goes:
"Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid."
which sounds more like: you provoke misunderstandings and confusion if you don't tell the whole story. And certainly not like you imply: "speak your mind whatever it is, even if it's the most stupidest thing". Keeping your mouth shut instead is appropriate in many cases, there is a german popular saying: "Wenn du keine Ahnung hast - einfach mal die Fresse halten". Means: If you have no insight on the topic and nothing valuable to add, just shut your mouth.
>>
No. 5942
>>5937
>Attack the argument, not the person. You still didn't explain (and neither did Goad or Dostoevsky) why should one kill himself if he understands that life has no inherent meaning. Until that, the autistic screeching "kys, nihilists!" remains bullshit.

It's very simple, if those people enjoyed living they would actually live and enjoy the journey of aging, as happy people always tend to do, they wouldn't complain about purpose, only miserable people become post-religious philosophers and psychologists. They call this intellectualism.

As dostoevsky said thinking is a disease, you cannot take action when you think. Those in weak positions gravitate towards thinking or "intellectual pursuits" because it is the only way to distract themselves from their depressing physical position.

And if they don't enjoy living, why wouldn't they kill themselves so they can avoid suffering? It's because they are afraid to cease existing, a selfish instinct. From that selfishness implies purposes such as exerting yourself or your sperm on the world. If you are afraid to die than your purpose is to live as long as possible, is that not an adequate purpose to shut a naysayer up? Well wild animals and other tribes want to kill you.

But men before you have given you a life of comfort in a hospitable place so maybe you view it as too easy to accomplish this, and that is why you have lost your purpose which you need psychologically to be content and not under personal torment. So why not increase the challenge and go to wild Africa to try to survive? Because you will die. Here we go again. They will say "I'm not a hypocrite, why should I go to Africa and get killed if life has no purpose? Prove to me why I should go!"

It becomes clear what everyones problem with life really is, wishing you were more powerful, more intelligent, or younger than you are, to be able to survive things you currently cannot, and to be able to leave a more impressive legacy. People who complain of a lack of purpose are really saying they're lacking in ability, to fulfil an impressive life that is "worth it". They don't understand that is their purpose in this world of extremely rare great men, to be mediocre, as inglorious as it is. For most of the history of the world, life was very unglamorous.
>>
No. 5946 Kontra
16 kB, 311 × 311
>>5942
Your whole text assumes, that life having no purpose is a negative thing and pointing it out means you are complaining. It's not.

Here, have a quote image to go with my post
>>
No. 5952
>>5946
Complaining is exactly what it is. It's begging, crying out for help. But it's not easy to save the fallen, and people can't handle the truth about how ruthless life is. They'd rather turn the tables and try to make others miserable like them.

Screaming at people who have purpose that life has no purpose because you said so is pretty stupid. Go ahead and live out your conclusions, if you have to convince others then doesn't it mean that you're wrong?

If life has no purpose why are you wasting your no-purpose life convincing others of its true purpose (emptiness)?

Whenever people have a depressive rough patch where life is unbearably empty, its a result of their carelessness when they were younger.

Life is rich and rewarding when you take care of business, it becomes a living nightmare when you slack off, or when you over-indulge in instant gratification. You get out what you've put in, if you haven't put in effort in years, it'll seem like life is completely unrewarding and pointless.
>>
No. 5955
>>5942
>they wouldn't complain about purpose
They don't. They just state that this purpose doesn't exist. Don't put words in their mouths.

>you cannot take action when you think
Again, groundless statement. You can take action before thinking, after thinking, or you can choose not to take action at all.

>if they don't enjoy living, why wouldn't they kill themselves so they can avoid suffering?
Life is not some binary logic element with only two states: "happiness" and "suffering". If they don't enjoy living, that doesn't mean that they suffer. They simply exist, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The Universe itself doesn't have any purpose, it doesn't care what do you think about it, it doesn't care what do you feel about it, it doesn't care what kind of ideas you want to populate it with, it just is. And, as I see it, as one is a part of the Universe, he can also be perfectly content with simply being.

>If you are afraid to die than your purpose is to live as long as possible, is that not an adequate purpose to shut a naysayer up?
No it isn't. You just mixed a categorical imperative with a biological one. Those are different things.
>>
No. 5956 Kontra
>>5952
>It's begging, crying out for help.
I'm doing neither.

>Go ahead and live out your conclusions, if you have to convince others then doesn't it mean that you're wrong?
That's exactly what you are doing right now, trying to convince me (and belarus guy) that we are wrong. Why are you throwing walls of text at me about how you think life should be lived? The thing i am telling you is, that people exist who don't give a shit and just do whatever, and are happy with it. Just read the quote i posted in my image again.
>>
No. 5958
>>5956
>The thing i am telling you is, that people exist who don't give a shit and just do whatever, and are happy with it.

That's a purpose

Most westerners who have attained a "no fucks given" attitude, first of all cannot manage it in the true and unpretentious sense, because we were all indoctrinated with certain purposes by our socialization whether we liked it or not, second of all have done so to cope after losing their initial purpose through vices and other weakness.

In the old days most people's purpose ended by the age of 25-30 and they probably died soon afterwards. Today normies who are 35 think they are "still young".

As Nietzsche said "Any philosophy is the philosophy of a certain stage of life." Old used-up hags (bernds) are busy projecting their washed up burn-out perspective onto a much bigger world.

Let me put it in plain English, whatever purpose you might have had on this earth, (probably to find love), you let it get away and now you're old, so you have no purpose left except suicide or empty pursuits like money to pass the time.

That doesn't make your current reality an objective truth, it's true only for you, your life could have gone any number of ways and you would not only believe but you would know your purpose or why you were born and what you must do in the time you are given.
>>
No. 5959 Kontra
>>5958
>Let me tell you about your life
lol, nope
Here you still are, desperately trying to tell me about how people need to live life and project random assumptions (probably your own issues with life?) on me, on no basis. Why are you trying to convince me? According to your own previous statement, it concludes that you are wrong.

I suspect you entirely miss my point. Many people don't care about the bigger purpose or meaning of life, they just life their day to day life, enjoy whatever they have and are pretty fine. If you think there is something wrong about it, then YOU have the issues, not them.

Btw you probably should consider to stop quoting random stuff, you got it already wrong before >>5938
>>
No. 5960
>>5959

You know I support you somehow but

>they just life their day to day life, enjoy whatever they have and are pretty fine.

sounds kinda naive, uncritical in an obvious way. What about the unconscious, suppression and denial in order to keep sanity and an ordered life running? because dealing with negativity could mean struggle or getting left behind because nobody reveals their own struggles to the others, it would mean being weak and that could make you a target?
This are question that have a right to be asked and ofc people can answer them but I just don't believe people fully know themselves, the other is part of our own self, we are never fully identical to what we think we are.

And don't get me wrong, I don't believe in humans being predators by nature or something like that but these visions can be opposed upon humans in society, we are shapeable

all of this might indirectly be connected to some meaning of life phrasing tho
>>
No. 5964
>>5960
>sounds kinda naive, uncritical in an obvious way. What about the unconscious, suppression and denial in order to keep sanity and an ordered life running?
Yes, i agree, everyone has their struggles and sufferings. By "they are pretty fine" i didn't mean they are living a perfect or otherwise different life (not more or less happier than others).
I was painting the picture that the consideration, if life has a meaning or not, is actually just a philosophical point of view, and not tied to being pessimistic, optimistic, successful, unsuccessful or whatever in your daily life. If you debate about if alien lifeforms exist or not, you also wouldn't start to make weird assumptions about the person who beliefs in aliens or the one who doesn't. It's merely about what arguments someone finds more plausible.
>>
No. 5967
>>5964
>if life has a meaning or not, is actually just a philosophical point of view, and not tied to being pessimistic, optimistic, successful, unsuccessful

lets say not necessarily. Successful people can be nihilistic but also depressive people.
So indeed, there are no necessary correlations like it has been painted ITT
>>
No. 5969
>>5967
Yeah, i guess nihilism can easily be mistaken as an emotional state, when it is actually a philosophical viewpoint. Someone who is depressed might share views of nihilism, but then not because he followed a rational conclusion, instead he has a solely emotional reason.
If you believe in meaning of life or not shouldn't matter otherwise, as you will in both cases just go on with your life (maybe except when you believe in religious meanings and apply religious rules on your life).
>>
No. 5972
It is quite simple: being an asshole lowers yourself. Nobody else is lowering you, you're doing it to yourself on you own. How do you lower yourself? By committing scummy acts. Not everybody breaks into their neighbor's house to steal their TV. The "scum" do that. Very few people rape. It doesn't even actually matter in the end how many people might fantasize about doing the wrong thing: the difference is who acts on it.

So when you go out and rape, steal, and kill, you are bringing that "guilt" or scumbag quality upon yourself. That the "heroes" do this is doing the phrase "lowering yourself to their level" it just turns you into as much scum. How to not be such scum? Don't use the wrongs of others to justify yourself being wrong. It doesn't matter if your neighbor stole your TV; if you steal someone's TV in turn you also are a scumbag.

And the fact that so many "legendary heroes" are utter dirtbags isn't guilt tag, it just means they are victorious scumbags and liars. How to not be such scumbags? Don't lower yourself to their level in order to win. It's not hard to understand, unless you're also already a dirtbag trying to justify yourself and your crimes or wrongs instead of doing the mature thing and owning up to them and moving on.
>>
No. 5980
>>5972
>Don't lower yourself to their level in order to win. It's not hard to understand, unless you're also already a dirtbag trying to justify yourself and your crimes or wrongs instead of doing the mature thing and owning up to them and moving on.

Every politician is a dirtbag, because they are ordinary or even below-average and most people don't have the qualities to succeed without cheating. It's easy to preach if you are gifted, but very few people are. That is why gypsies steal, not because they want to, but because it's the only way they're ever going to give themselves the finer things in life.
>>
No. 5988
14 kB, 626 × 772
88 kB, 650 × 1768
>stealing
property is theft.
how would you argue against someone who doesn't accept that "property" is an inherent right but instead views "property" as a crime. why should taking and using stuff you need be wrong?

to give a concrete example:
a lot of supermarkets throw their food away shortly before it goes bad. the stuff in their garbage bins is their "property"; some even lock the garbage up. why should it be criminal to take this stuff the previous "owners" themselves declared as "not want it" by throwing it away? still, it is a crime to "steal" "garbage".
>well, but, if people eat the "garbage", they do not buy in the supermarket. it is the supermarkets right to seal the garbage away.
and again: property is theft. in this example you are arguing with someone who doesn't accept this social construct of "property" as an inherent right; a different philosophical view.

oh, and another thing i really like to shill: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/unhappy (nice little comic!)
because the binary happy/suffering thingy came up.

// "Paradox?"'s title text: "property?"
>>
No. 6015
>>5988
>unwanted property is thrown away
>therefore wanted property is theft

Really?
>>
No. 6034
49 kB, 453 × 600
>>5988
If I made a wooden cabinet, but the wood with my own hard earned cash as a worker, and toiled and sweated and bled carefully carving and putting together that cabinet with my own calloused bare hands with deliberate hard work and know how and precision, then that is my cabinet. If you take my cabinet away from me without my permission then it is theft, because I worked to make it and you did not. If I threw it in the trash then that is saying it is no longer my cabinet. This is not a hard concept to understand. The fact we have such incredibly fucked up laws and rules does not denigrate this fact.

That trash is still considered someone's property is one of the many fucked up rules and laws like how it is illegal to feed the homeless in various places in America (thus marking them as the realm of the antichrist so their rules are meaningless anyway). All that this says is that the inherent qualities of the State are criminal, that the rules and laws of the State aren't actually valid, and that the State itself should be abolished.
>>
No. 6035 Kontra
>>6034
*bought my own
and yes I am aware of the irony particularly using a religious paradigm while posting him
>>
No. 6281
>>6035
Then why do you post Bakunin? There isn't a single Anarchist group who'd tolerate your theological musings. In fact, they hate Christianity with as much intensity as Fascism and Capitalism, perhaps even more. There is no greater spook than the concept of Divinity. I know you've mused on this before when the question was raised, but the reality stands that Fascists will sooner accept those outside their ideal of racial / ethnic homogeneity then Anarchists and Communists (they're joined at the hip) will ever accept Christian fundamentalists like you. Since we're on the subject of "scum", these egalitarian Anarchist ideologies see 0 humanity in Christians at all. In fact, they blame virtually all of society's moral ills on the faith's entire legacy. Anyone upholding Biblical values is participating in oppression. Churches will burn before the wealth of the Capitalist pigs are confiscated and redistributed at the people's will. I can only see Anarchists tolerating a toothless variant of the Church that is, for all intents and purposes, a secular shell of its former self.

>>5972
This is a misreading of Jim Goad, although I'd expect that from those who haven't followed his work from the beginning of his career. Having been on the receiving end of abuse from his parents, authority figures, psychopathic ex-girlfiends and more, Jim is no stranger to the worst behaviors of humanity. Still, he considers guilt projection to be fundamentally human traits. You will probably find none of his work to be palatable as it'll clash with your religious convictions, but if you've got an open mind, The Shit Magnet is a wonderful read. I consider it the honorary "Answer Me!" #5

Consciousness of human's worst capabilities can toughen the soul. The idea that people can become "scum" is idiotic because it ignores the fundamental truth that human beings are ultimately animals. Here's something for you to chew on. Over 70% of all American adults will commit one felony in their lives, but only 1% will ever do time for it. Jim never denied that for every action there is a reaction. Jim believes that if a man harms others, he should expect retribution from those he harmed and those connected to him, but it still doesn't take away his humanity or the human experience in his life. It's braver to be an individual than it is to be follower. The impulse to yell "SCUM" out at a perceived enemy or aggressor is merely a way to conceal oneself within the herd. It's a way for others to reorient their sadistic impulses towards something socially acceptable.

To quote an American literary classic, "The idea of YOU lynching anybody! It's amusing. The idea of you thinking you had pluck enough to lynch a MAN! Because you're brave enough to tar and feather poor friendless cast-out women that come along here, did that make you think you had grit enough to lay your hands on a MAN? Why, a MAN'S safe in the hands of ten thousand of your kind -- as long as it's daytime and you're not behind him. "

I'm not trying to chew you out nor am I pretending I'm morally superior to you. I've called my deceased cousin a malignant tumor which frankly wasn't right. In the end, she was fundamentally a human being with needs, but she certainly lived at the expense of others. She had no compunction in doing anything to feed her drug habit. She didn't care for the lives that she affected so long as she could get her fix. Even so, none of this took away from the fact she was ultimately human.
>>
No. 6288
80 kB, 600 × 933
>>6281
>people hate religious idiots
well, looking at facts, religious idiots have done the most crimes against humanity. they, at least, have some logical reasoning for blaming those.
especially the abrahamic cult; that's a fucking dangerous ideology.

for me, i don't want to get rid of the people believing in this cult. >>5754 i think they have been mislead and are not capable enough to see it for themselves. i would want to get rid of that ideology; needs a few generations and much education.
with war around the "main" area (middle east) of those cults, it is very, very hard to educate the people affected and infected by this cult.

humanity prolly is plagued with this religious infection for some time, still.
>>
No. 6323
399 kB, 1920 × 553
when i was still practicing taekwon-do the quote
"Become like water, my friend." by bruce lee turned out to be good advice. later i figured it's good advice in general.

i was also influenced by a ton of different philosophers and writers over time, but i can't be bothered to name them and their works all right now.
>>
No. 6383
91 kB, 720 × 720
70 kB, 960 × 960
8 kB, 502 × 103
Lord Acton's 'Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely'. just something that sticks in my mind. Seldom do I find good quotes. my favourite is definitely the buddha's 'when you like a flower, you pluck it. when you love a flower, you nurture it.' something I hadn't realised before I first read it, but it is obvious now. the last 2 pictures related has shaped my thoughts from time to time.
>>
No. 6576
435 kB, 755 × 961
Nick Bougas who did comics for Jim Goad's infamous magazine which stirred up a lot of trouble in the 90s turns out to be A Wyatt Mann
>>
No. 6582
>>6288
Actually, the idea "I myself am more capable of finding out the truth than anyone else, including organizations and systems who are working on it since centuries" is symptom of a juvenile mind.

As long as you aren't an overachieving prodigy who already has secured his entire life, you apparently face obstacles and difficulties that will turn out to not be unique to your life.

Inb4
>B-but they just want to enslave you!
What doesn't? I'd rather consciously choose what is important enough for me that I start organizing my life around it, than being driven by nominous influences from who knows where.
>>
No. 6592
532 kB, 606 × 602
>>6582
you misinterpret me a bit. i never wanted to say "i am more capable than anyone else" - just that i am trying to find the small drops of truths within this sea of propaganda. i know i do make mistakes; i'm human after all.

about the religious stuff: it's fact, that e.g. christianity only got so big because they slaughter everyone not joining them.

a lot of people within these abrahamic cults are actually genuinely trying to help. but it doesn't change the history.
and i don't like this argument of "b,but those were the people of the past. now it is totally different."
you do not here anyone say "But those were the Nazis of the past. The current Nazis are totally different." → it's still the same core philosophy.