/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 5999
3,9 MB, 4305 × 2870
Hello Ernstchan. Where is the serious discussion about computer's hardware?
>>
No. 6002
317 kB, 1206 × 708
66 kB, 667 × 585
5 kB, 549 × 272
I will slowly bump this little threda with my attempts of overclocking old and rusty geforce video card.

So here is the patient. It is a Geforce 8600gt with 512 Mbs of video memory. Default clocks are 540 MHz for GPU, 400 MHz for RAM. On attached picture you can see the videocard itself. I outlined most important parts. There is GPU chip, 8 memory chips, two phases of Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) for GPU and one VRM phase for memory as it consumes less power than GPU. And the voltage controller which is most important for us.

I have already tried overlocking it from OS with default voltage and failed horribly. All I got was 600 MHz for GPU and 430 MHz for memory which isn't enough for me. As I read this card can achieve 1000 MHz! after voltmod, so I grabbed my soldering iron and started looking into datasheets of voltage controller which can be seen on second picture. It is a RT9259A. This is controller responsible for regulating voltage to GPU. Memory's voltage controller is on other side of videocard, we will comeback to it later. Now we have to find two important legs(pins) of this controller which will help us to control output voltage to GPU. First leg is FB which means FeedBack. What does it do?
Here is quote from datasheet.
>Buck converter feedback voltage. This pin is the inverting input of the PWM error amplifier. FB senses the switcher output through an external resistor divider network.
Basically it senses resistance and outputs necessary voltage based on this resistance. How do we change resistance? As we know from school classes, adding more resistance won't do anything cause electricity looking for easiest path. So we lower it. How do we lower it? We solder resistor with less resistance(Ohms) between FB and GROUND ( which is our second leg) so now electricity will find even easier way to flow!
>>
No. 6010
41 kB, 940 × 627
>Old 3470's getting a bit long in the tooth. Time to think about upgrading

t. Me in 2020
>>
No. 6011
Aren't in video games thread we are disscusing computer hardware too?
>There we disscusing videogames, videogames companies, share gaming news, additionally disscus PC and console hardware share news about other software.
>>
No. 6019
>>6011
As if all the threads should be consolidated.
By the way, it's /meta/ talk, if you wish to continue on the topic, please do it there.
>>
No. 6028
157 kB, 1212 × 717
88 kB, 679 × 883
Soldering is done. These two brutal variable resistors are 20 kOhm each, attached to videocard with little help of hot glue. As you can see voltage controller for memory is exactly same as for GPU so pins are identical, 4 for FB and 7 for GROUND.
Now, after I put my soldering iron away I am thinking that I should have soldered this molex to the legs of capacitors, so I won't have trouble measuring voltages.
>>
No. 6052
Dear Ernst,

I'd like to have an automatic watering-system for my plants, based on a Rasp Pi (Cant into Arduino) but I'm afraid that it's going to be way too expensive.

Wat nou?
>>
No. 6055
>>6052
Choose Banana Pi, Orange Pi or another cheaper RaspPi clone and leave worries.
>>
No. 6072
161 kB, 1210 × 796
114 kB, 1086 × 769
56 kB, 518 × 345
Soldered molex to the points of voltage measurings. Red for GPU voltage and yellow for memory voltage. Now I don't have to hold multi-meter's sticks with my shaky hands.
Found more or less decent cooler, drilled a couple mounting holes in it and soon it was installed on my little 8600 gt.
And now comes the best part. Overclocking! I went for GPU overclock first and to my bad surprise software tool known as MSI afterburner was limiting maximal clock with just 702 MHz. I pushed voltage to 1.5 volts on GPU and went for 702 MHz. Videocard was stable and after benchmarks in Portal 2 I tried to overclock memory. And here was the problem. No matter what I tried card wasn't stable with 430+ clocks. I even put small radiators on the memory chips thinking it was a temperature problem. Pushed memory voltage to 2.1 V. Nothing. 2.15v. Nothing. 2.2, 2.25, 2.27. Same nothing. So I gave up and blamed it on bad memory. But situation was even worse. Videocard couldn't pass a Portal 2 benchmark with 430 MHz so I had to lower it to 424 MHz. That's a real shame I have to say. Memory is a huge bottleneck in this card. 8600 gt usually comes with gddr3 memory and this one got ddr2 so overclock could really improve performance.
Anyway, GPU clock limit wasn't reached so I searched for similar programs as MSI afterburner and found its successor RivaTuner. Clock limit of this tool was higher and after voltage push to 1.57, it was achieved as well. 810 MHz. After such a huge milestone I was ready to rise clock limit even further but another problem went in my way. Temperature. It was close to 90 degrees of Celsius which means cooler isn't sufficient for overclock any longer.
So here comes end of my overclock story. Later I might use a bigger cooler but it needs long thinking about how I will attach it to the videocard. For now I stopped at 810 MHz for GPU and 424 MHz for memory. Performance boost is ~30% more fps in Portal 2.
>>
No. 6130 Kontra
>>6055
BananaPi: >30€
RaspberryPi A: 22€

BananaPi is only good when you go for the bigger models like the router board. (for example, to built a small series of 10-20 custom routers for a big-assed asterisk/VPN setup, etc...)

Also:
SAGE FOR NOT POSTING THIS IN THE GAMING THREAD.
>>
No. 6140
>>6130
But what about Orange Pi?