/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

Currently at Radio Ernstiwan:

Hail Odin! by Christenklatscher666

M3U - XSPF

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 67497
112 kB, 1200 × 675
Going back to "Come and see" the director told (more or less) "I would not want a professional actor... I wanted a 14 YO unexperienced boy... With that kind of film we had to train him that by the end of the film he would not get into an asylum!"

Fug yes. Like a cretin told, "how great is cinema".

BTW, you won't tell me you have not seen the anime version of this picture, ha ha. This is the stuff that makes the good part of the internet great, too :DD. The bad part of the internet can crash and burn
>>
No. 67585
26 kB, 400 × 300
The best part for me of this film https://youtu.be/xykmn6J2hcQ?t=3670 the children seem to sing like in the radio or something technical/spiritual.

This part is good too. https://youtu.be/xykmn6J2hcQ?t=3202

Warning: spoilerland

The film? Love Affair (1939) with Charles Boyer. Well, not my particular type of film, but sure it has dignity.
>>
No. 67669
161 kB, 835 × 1181
Sorry but fuck no

Perhaps it's that I have watched too much films and that I have ingested too much about muh ultraviolent Third Reich, but this film was ok and nothing more.
>>
No. 67696
338 kB, 1920 × 1080
264 kB, 1920 × 1080
255 kB, 1920 × 1080
200 kB, 1920 × 1080
Sonny Boy (2021)
Anime series about a class of middle school kids who get transported into a mysterious world and how they deal with trying to escape it (or not).
At its core it's pretty usual coming-of-age stuff about relationships, alienation, dealing with the "real world" etc. but it's all heavily filtered through some pretty surreal storylines and imagery. Also rather unique formally - many episodes are kind of self-contained but also embed into an overarching story which sometimes jumps ahead inbetween episodes without much explanation, so you kinda have to piece together what happened and deal with the fact that not everything gets neatly resolved.
Not for everyone but especially the ambiguous ending and all the music sequences in the last episode got me weirdly emotional about my own high school days. Probably the best anime series of recent years imho, in any case as far as original series go.
ED theme is pretty banging as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VYqcCLIx0s

>>67497
>BTW, you won't tell me you have not seen the anime version of this picture, ha ha.
I think I have to tell you... I'd like to see it :D
>>
No. 67698
278 kB, 1920 × 1080
143 kB, 1920 × 1080
171 kB, 1920 × 1080
244 kB, 1920 × 1080
Campaign (2007)
Pretty entertaining documentary about a Japanese politician's local election campaign. It probably requires a bit of background knowledge as it's filmed in cinema verite style without much explaining - but does a nice job of highlighting some of the more absurd aspects of Japanese politics, i.e. the fact that since people need to write out candidate's name in polls the politician's need to repeat it all the time and plaster it everywhere, also the sheer amount of organization required for these campaigns.
>>
No. 67699
229 kB, 1918 × 788
210 kB, 1918 × 788
178 kB, 1918 × 788
196 kB, 1918 × 788
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)
Probably one of the most insane sequels ever made. The amount of retconning and addition of completely irrelevant lore is simply baffling, I wouldn't even know how to meaningfully summarize the plot. It really has some genius moments, or in any case at least some really funny trashy ones, but it also just looks absolutely shit B-movie tier most of the time.

Highlander III: The Sorcerer (1994)
Not much to say about this one, it's basically just a shitty copy of the first one, lacking all the things that made that one good such as good fight choregraphies and the great Queen soundtrack.
>>
No. 67700
363 kB, 1920 × 816
134 kB, 704 × 536
99 kB, 704 × 536
80 kB, 704 × 536
Let the Bullets Fly (2010)
Chinese "western" comedy set during the warlord era where a Robin-Hood-like bandit impersonates as a governor to take down the local corrupt mobster. Really great performances and super funny but also a rather thoughtful ending a la Seven Samurai.

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1980)
Classic Soviet melodrama about the lives of three Muscovite girlfriends that won a Best Foreign Film Oscar. First part is set in 1958 when they live together in a dormitory and start some relationships with men, the second part skips forward to 1978 showing the aftermath of their choices. Not much to say, just a comfy watch for me.

>>67699
>lacking all the things that made that one good
oh yeah and there's no Sean Connery :(
>>
No. 67701
106 kB, 1200 × 705
Abstract:The Art of Design

Netflix has produced two seasons, with each episode dedicated to one artist and their field- some traditional, some less-so like the one on footwear design. Think Michael Jordan's iconic Nike's. Someone had to make that, did you ever wonder who? Me either, but Jordon is in the episode so it's still not bad.

Highly recommend the episode on Typeface design, featuring Johnathan Hoefler. The last episode of Season 2, but the one most likely to interest anyone not expressly dedicated to art. Starts with an autistic obsession with watch faces, traverses the emerging internet, ancient maps, and even(briefly)politics. Did the CHANGE font help elect Obama? No, don't be ridiculous, but if you were wondering it's called Gotham and was created by Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones.

Frere-Jones doesn't appear in the episode, btw. The two separated in a bitter lawsuit, with allegations Hoefler cheated him out of money etc. The lesson? If you go into business with someone, get everything in writing.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3025922/4-lessons-designers-could-learn-from-the-hoefler-frere-jones-split
>>
No. 68334
Relevant right now, but also generally interesting, here is a documentary that is fairly neutral (under the circumstances) about Putins politics of the last decade:

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/098406-000-A/putin-return-of-the-russian-bear/

What's especially interesting is that this documentary is half a year old and was thus not affected by the current turmoil. I can say that I felt genuinely informed rather than manipulated.
>>
No. 68344
>>68334
>here is a documentary that is fairly neutral (under the circumstances) about Putins politics of the last decade:
Hmm, might watch it. I'm curious how it fares since I recently watched an arte doc on Xi Jinping and it was a pretty atrocious hitpiece.

They did recently have a pretty good series on the history of capitalism though (feat. interviews with Adam Tooze, Michael Hudson, David Graeber etc.): https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/044979-001-A/der-kapitalismus-1-6/ (unfortunately only available here in German/French tho)
>>
No. 68345
>>67696
I am ultra mega sorry but I don't know where it is. It might be in a folder like the one from Mr. Ireland
>>
No. 68348
>>68344
>They did recently have a pretty good series on the history of capitalism though
That one is actually a rerun from a few years back they uploaded anew, which is showing a bit in the commentaries and the way they focus on the 2007/2008 crisis. It's kinda tilting between decent material and some questionable takes, but still worthwhile. But I prefered their working class documentary series of 2020: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K6uZ2E1q7yg
>>
No. 68378
>>68344
Ah, I've been meaning to watch that one on Capitalism, it's already downloaded and in the queue.

I've seen the one about Xi Jingping but couldn't tell how accurate any of it was because I know bugger all about that guy. Was there anything in particular you found atrocious?

>>68348
Thanks, this looks good.
>>
No. 68405
>>68378
>I've seen the one about Xi Jingping but couldn't tell how accurate any of it was because I know bugger all about that guy. Was there anything in particular you found atrocious?
Not the other Ernst, but it is clearly following an agenda and thus it presents Xi Jinping in a negative way accordingly. I don't expect a documentary to be neutral, especially not a western one about Xi, but this was not very nuanced to say the least.
>>
No. 68406 Kontra
>>68405
P. S.: for accurrency I'd say it's true, but the way of presentation is skewed.
>>
No. 68484 Kontra
126 kB, 580 × 899
It was worth watching. There are a lot of Dixie references there.
>>
No. 68522
30 kB, 1000 × 563
216 kB, 1280 × 1920
137 kB, 707 × 1000
719 kB, 1012 × 1500
Such unbelievably good social commentary imo, really good film which makes me realize the paucity of real films my country even produces. Like, what, you want to call Day of the Dead a social commentary because they are zombies in malls? Like Jesus Christ, but anyway I'd recommend it. Fell asleep watching this, not quite sure even what point it's making by the end which at first I thought may have been going as a critique of Capitalism, Communism, classism, government and so on, but then eventually figured maybe it was also a sort of existentialist film until by the very end I wasn't even certain about that. Regardless I found The Platform to be a very good one sort of in the vein of the Cube movies, only much better.

Also saw Colour Out of Space which in spite of its really weird choice for Nicholas Cage not even as an actor bit his grating, totally inappropriate and possibly unwitting comedic voice, it was the best cosmic horror film that I have ever seen. The guy who made it clearly understood fully the principles of cosmic horror as a genre and how to apply those principles to his new chosen medium, which I think is far more impressive when you consider the fact he chose that story out of all the others to portray. I have never seen any film or vidya get H.P. Lovecraft so very right.

Either of these films is very light hearted and good for late at night.
>>
No. 68746
227 kB, 1920 × 1080
42 kB, 690 × 345
5 kB, 306 × 165
The Magic Gloves, an Argentinian movie from 2003. It's bizarre but quite a good and very funny movie. People say that it is about Argentina among many things probably the economic swamp and shittery that is going on in this movies for and between protagonists, so I cannot relate, but the topic of depression is present throughout the movie. Now after I finished it the movie gives a bleak outlook on life and the whole movie seems to stress the senselessness but also the autopilot of depression in day to day life. Also the car, I'm not sure how to understand the car and its role in the movie. The occasional club visits could be read as escapism (the music is quite fantastic, sadly one track I really liked is without Id in imdb)
Plot: well I don't even know how to sum it up, probably that is the good thing about this movie, something happens but in the end it doesn't matter, but that seems kind of the whole point and is in resonance with depression over all: a sort of void, no amplitude.
>>
No. 68910
1,2 MB, 1400 × 884
Pity is a 2018 movie, part of the greek weird wave cinema.
The protagonist seeks pity and will do many things to get it from others or to have a reason to pity himself. Hard to watch at times because it is so uncomfortable, probably one of the movies where you don't have any sympathy for the protagonist. To the viewer and his/her knowledge, he radiates the complete opposite of what he seeks.
The shots/framing are great, as is often the case with the greek weird wave, at least the ones I've watched so far.
>>
No. 69185
173 kB, 872 × 480
138 kB, 563 × 317
218 kB, 750 × 384
Terrorizers is a 1986 Taiwanese thriller. Three different narrative strands are weaved into each other. A young amateur photographer, a couple: medical doctor and novel writing wife (and her affair) and third a young female thug. It was too late for me to get the plot resolution at the end, sadly. Nice 1980s vibes, apparently this movie also tells something about changes in Taiwanese society at that time, for me no way to really judge it by today's standards, less actual details. It felt quite modern.
The telephone seems to play a distinctive role, it is placed quite central within the movie and is crucial for the three stories in general as it sort of organizes the weaving of the three narrative strands.
>>
No. 69227
57 kB, 743 × 467
I watched Brother (1997) yesterday. I think this is some Russian Pulp Fiction when it comes to popularity, no? I enjoyed it, its comedy elements were just right with 90s Russia supposed lawlessness. A solid movie about a young army guy becoming a gangster/killer in the city.
>>
No. 69243
>>69227
> I think this is some Russian Pulp Fiction when it comes to popularity, no?
Yes, you're right. Also it's how every self-righteous bydlo here sees itself.
>>
No. 69882
381 kB, 600 × 450
141 kB, 1047 × 764
251 kB, 640 × 480
A short film from 1963 ...A VALPARAÍSO is documenting bustling life and specificity of the city of Valparaíso in Chile. Built on 42 hills with countless of stairs and elevators this makes for a special scenary. Chris Marker is responsible for the narrative while the images are of realistic origin. Dunno if it is Marker that let's me think this feels like a dream while watching.

You can watch it on youtube albeit no english subtitles then.
>>
No. 70025
Ok since this the film threda, let us not just talk about what we have watched last, but about other related topics.
For example, I was walking through the forest an hour or so ago and thought about how there are a lot of films I liked but can't watch constantly and other films I might not even have liked as much but CAN watch constantly.
So basically films I can watch when I don't have anything else to watch or when I am bored or not in a specific mood.

For example, films I can always watch are, from the top of my head right now:

>Conan the Barbarian
>The Shawshank Redemption
>Jurassic Park
>Charade
>Mission: Impossible
>The Thing (1982)
>The Godfather
>Once Upon a Time in the West
>Ghost Dog (and basically any other Jarmusch, except his newer ones from Limits of Control on)

I tried to determine what these films have in common, but I wasn't able to.
What are your "always come back to" films?
>>
No. 70027
>>70025
>What are your "always come back to" films?
I used to do so as a kid/teenager when I had a limited supply of cassettes or movies were shown repeatedly on TV, but nowadays I rarely rewatch films.
Though recently I have rewatched a couple of movies that I watched repeatedly during my childhood:
>Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
>Batman Returns (kinda weird how it's two sequels I remember so well but pretty sure I've never seen the first movies in the series as a kid)
>Jumanji
>Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (this one more during my teens)
I was surprised how well I remembered some scenes, but totally forgot or kinda misremembered others
It's weird but I can't really think of much else, perhaps the Disney Hercules cartoon, I ought to rewatch that one... Konchalovsky's Odyssey TV movie...
>>
No. 70031 Kontra
>>70027
>It's weird but I can't really think of much else
Ofc I am forgetting cult Soviet comedies that were constantly shown on TV: Gentlemen of Fortune, The Diamond Arm, Ivan Vasilyevich Changes His Profession, Heart of a Dog etc - I can rewatch those eternally
>>
No. 70036
Yesterday and today I rewatched Mad Max 2 and 3.
Saw 1 also not too long ago and can remember 4 still pretty well, so the objective rating goes like this:

2 > 1 >= 4 >>> 3

2 is the best, no arguing about that. 1 has the disadvantage that it's so utterly different from its sequels that I was actually hesitant to count it with the others. It's more like some dystopian cop thriller than postapocalyptic action like the others, which can put you off if you expect crazy rigs and costumes and it feels less "round", to use a german idiom, than the second one.
4 is one of the best action films of its decade and I had lots of fun in the cinema (gf not so much :--DDD).
And 3 is just silly, but not in a good way like 2, but in a "we need a wider audience, also it's full-on 80s now" way. And I didn't even mind the kids, but the whole Aunty Entity character was really fucking shit, Master getting redemption just because he sat in a pig cage for a few days, an old railway bound vehicle finding pristine tracks AND a railway bridge in a nuclear wasteland, the violence being very sanitized compared to 2, and numerous other things. And the car chase scene was really tame and lame, too.
I looked it up and it seems Hollywood wasn't really involved, but it FEELS like a Hollywood film, which is probably what annoyed me.
>>
No. 70037
>>70025
>What are your "always come back to" films?
Why does one rewatch a movie? I mean there are some apparent motivations to do so, but with internet you have all the movies ever made that you could watch instead of watching something you've already seen again. I value new experiences more and don't think I've ever rewatched a movie, reread a book or replayed a (story) game intentionally. Even before internet I'd just watch a movie and leave it collecting dust for the rest of eternity.
>>
No. 70038
>>70036
Original is the best by far. I've often thought that the movie doesn't translate well because it has a distinct vibe that plays really hard if you're familiar with regional Australia but adds nothing if you're not. I'm sure there are German films with similar settis.

I actually prefer the more subdued economic freefall apocalypse of the first movie to the more in your face sequels.
>>
No. 70040
Also my number one go to for watching regularly is Tank Girl. It's not an amazing movie by film standards but the movie is fun, has ebin practical effects and a noice soundtrack.
t. lowbrow appreciator

>>70037
Why eat the same meal twice? Sometimes something just hits for you and/or is comforting.
>>
No. 70041 Kontra
>>70037
Why read the same book twice? Why listen to the same record twice? Why fuck the same woman twice? Why play the same game twice? Why talk to the same people more than once?
Why are you such a perfect consumer?
>>
No. 70043 Kontra
>>70040
I would download different meals every time if I could.
>something just hits for you and/or is comforting
Alright. That sounds reasonable enough.

>>70041
Exactly what I'm asking, but you aren't answering. Yes, I like to consume new experiences. Why exactly is that wrong? The digital age lets you experience new things with essentially zero cost and effort. And have libraries not existed before? You can get new experiences legally and without a charge. You consider people using libraries as perfect consumers?

Take it easy my man.
>>
No. 70050
>>70043
>Exactly what I'm asking, but you aren't answering. Yes, I like to consume new experiences. Why exactly is that wrong?
Because the way you are wording it suggests that you can't do anything but trying to experience new things, which, if there's not some terrible misunderstanding going on here, is indicative of some kind of emotional disorder that prevents you from forming any bonds to anything.
In other words, the reason you wouldn't watch, read, listen to,... more than once is that nothing of that has ever had any kind of effect on you.
Basically you consume it the way you would consume oatmeal or anything. Pure sustenance, no taste, nothing memorable or anything.
And as a consequence those new experiences become meaningless because you don't actually gain any "experience" from them, they are just actions, happenings, but without anything left behind, so if you actually make these experiences or not is functionally the same.
In short, I am accusing you of being unable to feel love.

Also, I don't believe anyone here is smart enough to fully permeate any matter the first way around, some pieces of art take some attempts to actually get into them, or to just understand them, and so on, so any experience you have might not even be a full experience.

Also also, your point about libraries doesn't make any sense, because I can still read a book more than once, even if it's a rented one (since renting times have alway been generous enough to read through something a few times). And in fact the digital age makes experiencing things multiple times even easier than before, because I can just open the file and set it to repeat and listen to my favorite song all day long if I wanted to.
>>
No. 70051 Kontra
>>70050
I haven't seen this much projecting outside of a movie theater in all my life. Forget that I asked.
>>
No. 70052
>>70037
>I value new experiences more and don't think I've ever rewatched a movie, reread a book or replayed a (story) game intentionally. Even before internet I'd just watch a movie and leave it collecting dust for the rest of eternity.
Oh boy, did you miss out on them details.
>>
No. 70055
>>70052
Well I HAVE seen some movies multiple times for all sorts of different involuntary reasons and yes you do see and understand some things you didn't for the first time. But to me it has never made sense to actively choose that path instead of picking out a new movie to watch. I could only imagine rewatching a certain director's movies to understand their methods for whatever reason if you're a real movie buff or whatever is the right term. That doesn't interest me at all but I could see someone enjoying that.

Just the joy of finding something entirely new and enjoyable far surpasses what you get from something that's already familiar. Discovering a detail here and there doesn't tip the scales that much for me. The downsides do exist in the form of shit movies or other media that completely wastes your time, though even that has some value by giving you more data to shape your personal filter for new media.
>>
No. 70063
I'm in a hurry but I will throw in a thought concerning watching movies or reading a book multiple times and just hope it hasn't been mentioned before.
While as the other German said you need time to fully grasp a piece of art (like listening to music multiple times you can sens more details that "slipped through" the first time). But what people tend to forget is that you yourself change in time, your consciousness doesn't stay the the same, say over the course of years, so rewatching something after a few months or years will be different since you and your consciousness have changed and might react and see very different than the last time, it comes close to seeing new, to address the finns concerns.
>>
No. 70068
>>70063
Ohhh good point. The simplest example for this would probably be how your perception of Simpsons humor changes - as a kid you enjoy the wacky slapstick whereas as an adult you also understand the social and personal humor.
>>
No. 70071
>>70068
Exactly, not only that because what is implied broadly is that you learned about other things in the meantime, have shifting interests, etc. that all play into the re-reading/watching, etc. of something known.
>>
No. 70074
>>70063
Although interesting, sounds like it's like using a familiar movie as a tool for introspection. Or maybe you consider an old experience as sufficiently new based on your own shift of perspectives. Don't get me wrong, I understand that rewatching a movie has some value but to me it still seems like considerably less than watching something you haven't seen before. And contrasting movies to most other works of art doesn't really apply here. Watching a movie is something you choose to actively engage in for an hour or two, which might be all of your free time for an evening. It's very different from spending a couple of minutes inspecting an already familiar piece of art or just glancing at it in the hallway, maybe even just appreciating it how it fits in with rest of the physical environment that it's in. Or playing a great album in the background as you're mostly focused on doing something else. Guess you could play a movie similarly and only focus on it here and there. To me it would seem like it would "suffer" more as it's an audiovisual experience and you'd miss most of the visuals.

I get the joy of finding new aspects in that concrete example of the Simpsons. But I don't think I'd lose out on much if I were to watch the show just now for the first time ever and be able to appreciate all the elements right away. Maybe I'd just come in to that space with richer frame of mind provided by all the different things I had experienced instead.
>>
No. 70097
>>70074
> I understand that rewatching a movie has some value but to me it still seems like considerably less than watching something you haven't seen before.

Well, a certain familiarity will be there, but that doesn't include aspects that slipped through before, and when you watch a new movie it might be many things that slip through that can be had with a second or third watch because you can focus differently. That's the things: more perspective on one thing = more knowledge and insights, deeper understandung whereas constantly new films/books/audio etc will also yield new insights but not necessary better or more.
One thing that I can safely say is good to read more than one time is philosophy books. Because you won't be able to digest it all in one reading and certainly your focus will be different. I've read books or academic articles multiple times and certainly a second reading is almost always more rewarding and gets you more insights and understanding and appreciation than just reading once. And the same logic can work for other things too. There is never the possibility to focus on all aspects of what a medium can transpose, thus looking more than once yields insights that will never be achieved by looking once. You miss out, you miss also out on other films of you watch another film more than once. In the end, you want to decide on what you want to miss out on, but you definitely miss out by watching, inspecting, reading only once. To engage more than once yields deeper understandings that could be more beneficial than just engaging once and hop on.
>>
No. 70102
>>70097
>I've read books or academic articles multiple times and certainly a second reading is almost always more rewarding and gets you more insights and understanding and appreciation than just reading once
Without a doubt. In this context we're talking about movies! Entertainment and academic excellence live in completely different worlds for me at least. It would appear that you keep repeating the facts of gaining more insights etc. into a piece of work by subsequent observations, and I keep repeating that I value novel experiences more highly than gaining those insights. It's probably safe to say it's just a matter of preference of how you want to spend your free time.

The thing that puzzled me to begin was the concept of "always come back to" films. A completely foreign concept that I hoped to discover and learn about. I wouldn't say that was achieved here although it's interesting to know that some people get enjoyment from watching a familiar movie time and time again.
>>
No. 70103
>>70102
So what have your constant new experiences yielded you? Have you had more enjoyment than someone watching Lord of the Rings for the n-th time?
I don't need to be well-versed in cinema history and be able to discuss the differences between early and late Coppola or how german expressionism has evolved until the advent of sound film.
So something must have come out of it for you, right? What was it?
I personally enjoy new real life experiences more anyway, like going somewhere new, meeting new people, trying out new things.
>>
No. 70104 Kontra
>>70103
>Have you had more enjoyment than someone watching Lord of the Rings for the n-th time?
No, like I said it seems like it's a matter of preference. How could I quantify someone else's enjoyment of a thing and compare it to mine? I was merely interested hearing more about the motivations of someone who has a list of "always come back to" films to begin with. I talked with my friends and girlfriend and they don't have such lists either. Though my girlfriend says that her friends sometimes put on a familiar movie in the background when they've got some sort of a gathering going on. But they're not really actively watching it so it probably doesn't fit the bill.

>I personally enjoy new real life experiences more anyway, like going somewhere new, meeting new people, trying out new things.
Me as well. And if someone doesn't that's perfectly fine.
>>
No. 70210
Yesterday I watched Rosemary's Baby. It was the third attempt in ten years or so and I finally managed to finish it.
And frankly, I don't get it. I found it simply boring - and I usually like Polanski's stuff.
I tried looking up reviews, but they all were nothing but hymns of praise.
A lot of them even delved into the themes and interpretation, but even after reading all that, I still don't get it.
There are an awful lot of films I have watched as a teenager that I found boring to which I came back as an adult and liked them (like just discussed in this thread in the last posts) - and vice versa.

Rosemary's Baby is, unlike e.g. The Exorcist or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, not one of those. I really just saw it in my mid-30s for the first time and instead of hitting differently, it didn't hit at all. It was certainly not the craftsmanship - camerawork is great, music is great, acting is great, but overall it just didn't engage me in any kind of way. The same has already happened with Birdman (though I've seen that in the cinema), which also had great craftsmanship and all that, but at least in that case I can identify my problem with it (it was all about "US ACTORS HUH? THE BIZ HUH?").

I don't even have an actual point here, I just needed to blogpost.
>>
No. 70310
62 kB, 768 × 432
Suicide Squad was playing on TV and I watched it for a bit. I was just in time for them to introduce the tragic backstory of a heroine whose superpower was controlling rats. Her dad was a heroin addict who taught rats to go steal things for them. In the freezing Portuguese winter, they would cover themselves with rats so as not to freeze to death.
Considering they used shots of Coimbra to establish her hometown, she could have just as easily grabbed a good coat to brave the cold. Maybe some thick socks, and you'd beat the 7 degrees centigrade outside.
>>
No. 70633
1,4 MB, 1035 × 812
Yet another great film.

>>70104
>> >>70103
Great exchange.

The film I've watched it most it's Alien, which I watched five times. When I watch it again, which I think I'll watch it again some time in the future, God willing, it will bring me something new, I guess. I understand your point Germany, but like Finland, "coming back to" for me seems like heroin ("oh man I am not doing anything but it is bliss") We are not wired the same e way but I like your approach.

P.S. do not do fucking hard drugs, all junkies I know they regret it and I met them begging for money and sleeping in the street. The fucking drug sucks their spirit. Thanks to God they are improving, I have seen impressive things.
>>
No. 70635
59 kB, 780 × 439
I watched another Balbanov film after Brother, namely the 2005 Dead Man's Bluff because I was seeking light entertainment (and the streaming service does not have that much of it seems) and it was meh. Certainly less funny, humor was bad with few exceptions, same but worse gangster becoming rich story. I felt like not watching it to the end after the first 1/3 already I think.

>>70633
It's two Germans with the same mindset, not sure if that was clear.

t. one of them
>>
No. 70644
48 kB, 1200 × 630
>>70635
I end up making generalizations only when making people look good in this very server. How relaxing it is. Love u all.

Ahh Montalbano... Talking about positive generalizations, how pleasant and neat is this series... Solid.
>>
No. 70647
>>70644
I'm pretty sure I've seen some episodes of Montalbano on the TV here. Though that must've been more than 10 years ago. No recollection of any specific episodes but the show must've been decent!
>>
No. 70684 Kontra
373 kB, 800 × 1200
56 kB, 450 × 600
>>70635
There is one worth watching called "War".
It's rather controversial because it's about Second Chechen War.
Because of the time period it is also grimdark as fuck, some people say nowadays that this time period from 1998-2003 was the period during which Russia was close to collapsing entirely.
The atlantic posted an article in 2001 following the Second Chechen War basically saying "yeah it's gone in a few decades".
The film reflects the atmosphere of the period very well, the music for example is spot on.
It's just pure doomerism. If you like these themes, i can suggest this film.
>>
No. 70703
>>70684
I would recommend this one too. It's not bad, and Russian description fits. I find some Balbanov movies to be a bit hit or miss (wasn't a huge fan of cargo 200, but brother was good), but this one is alright. I think it's currently available for streaming on mubi (along with most of his films) but I'm certain it would also be on certain Russian websites, probably with subs.

T. Also watcher
>>
No. 70748
>>70647
Do you make any kind of police TV series in Finland? All Scandis make them and I did not like any of them. I'm sure your case will be different, I'm a Finnboo you know

Script for a PB comic based in a personal experience although the implementation is difficult because of a reason. Well, script:

Catball walks the street and hears some voices. It's two female balls.
Catball approaches them and says: "Suomi? Suomi?"
They look funnily surprised and say "yes!"
Catball answers back: "aaa-tataaa taa tata!"
All laugh.

(Love how Finnish sounds to the ear)
>>
No. 70751
This week I watched Manhunter and Red Dragon almost back to back. I have never read the book, so I can only compare the films (though I know that Red Dragon stays pretty closely to the book).
That said, I find Manhunter to be the better film overall, and not just because it's a million times more stylish than Red Dragon. In fact, they both had the same director of photography.

First, the music. Manhunter had this 80s synth/pop-rock soundtrack that transported certain moods. Red Dragon had a Danny Elfman soundtrack and dissonant strings whenever something "horrible" appeared. It's not that I dislike Danny Elfman per se, but let's be honest, he's one of those composers whose stuff all sound the same. Hans Zimmer has the BRAAPPs, John Williams is the perfect fit for any Spielberg flick and Danny Elfman has never not made music that didn't sound like it belonged into a Tim Burton film. This, however was NOT a Tim Burton film and it gave the whole movie this bombastic blockbuster feel.

Camerawork is, as mentioned, not as stylish as the 80s version, but well, Red Dragon wasn't made in the 80s, so I can't complain here.

Acting had higher highs, but also lower lows. Edward Norton just played Edward Norton, like always, and I didn't like his Will. Harvey Keitel also played himself, like always, but he fit Jack Crawford. Hopkins was hamming it up, like always, just not as bad as in Hannibal. Also, it was obvious they wanted to ride on the Lecter popularity because they gave him a lot of screentime. Chilton was cartoonish, though I don't remember if he had been like that in Silence of the Lambs, too. Ralph Fiennes, imo, was not a good physical fit for Dolarhyde. Apart from his trademark piercing pig eyes he's still much too handsome, even with a cleft lip, and in the beginning I really couldn't see anything but his other villain characters. However, as the film progressed and he was allowed to show more insanity, I also started to enjoy him more. Also, they approached his insanity from another direction here. What I liked so much about Manhunter was that Reba almost "saved" Dolarhyde. He was so close, but then misinterpreted a situation because he was still insane, and went off the rails completely. Fiennes' Dolarhyde however seems like a "regular" schizophrenic "aahhh the voices tell me to kill" type, though, as mentioned, he does it in a compelling way.

What most irked me about Red Dragon though was that it didn't really feel like a serial killer thriller, but like, well, a proper Hollywood blockbuster. Brett Ratner just can't deny his true nature. Everything is overexplained where Manhunter only implied, you get those grandiose establishing shots and everything is just... louder. You need about 20 less IQ points to understand what's going on in this film compared to Manhunter. And while I now know it was in the book, I also didn't like the explosion and showdown because today it feels too overused.

thanks for reading my blog
>>
No. 70794
148 kB, 1200 × 900
I watched a Godard film for the first time. Masculin - féminine My pea brain wasn't able to comprehend it all I think, it's 1960s spirit (movie came out in 1966): revolution/leftism and consumer interests, also gender roles are in question. What I like about this movie are the camera work and the acting, I really enjoyed both and it outperforms any meaning of the whole I didn't "get".

>>70684
>>70703
Not in the mood for another Balbanov atm.
>>
No. 70796
>>70748
>Do you make any kind of police TV series in Finland? All Scandis make them and I did not like any of them. I'm sure your case will be different, I'm a Finnboo you know
I don't recall watching any Finnish or Scandi police series but I get what you're saying. And I'm afraid that Finnish shows are probably very similar, hope I'm wrong for your sake.

I took a quick look and could find these:
Bordertown - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4937942/
Arctic Circle [Creative...] - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6800294/
Deadwind - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6616260/
Aallonmurtaja (Breakwater) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7321906/
Pahan Väri (The Color of Evil) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14416558/

The last two don't even have official name translations so you probably can't find them anywhere. With the first three you might have some luck.

>Catball answers back: "aaa-tataaa taa tata!"
>All laugh.
So c&a! I know I laughed!
>>
No. 70819
Today I watched the documentary on the musician Rodriguez, "Searching for the Sugar Man". Essentially, he was totally ignored in his native USA, but got big in South Africa (and Australia, but the docu ignores this). The thing is, he only found out he was popular, nearly 30 years after concluding his music career, after his label dumping him for no USA success.

It was fine, and if Ernst is into his music, it's not bad to see. It was interesting for myself at least, as my father always used to play his albums in the car. Weird to conprehend he had zero recognition at all in the US. Rated not bad.

>>70794
I find Godard hit or miss. I downloaded masculine feminine today though, so hope it's good, even if hard to comprehend like you say.

Some like Weekend, left me confused and annoyed (and I'm pretty sure asleep at one point - but that might not be his fault totally).

Others like La Chinoise had me 100% from the start, based on theme alone
https://youtu.be/5ecMgcTpmdw
>>
No. 70851 Kontra
>>70794
The main actress, Chantal Goya, later became one of the most popular french children's singer for decades. The two careers are somewhat unrelated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VomI3u9dzlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-sqt5rA9g
>>
No. 70855
>>70851
>Le lapin
Wait, do I understand correctly that this song is about a hare that killed a hunter?
Like, she actually sings "this morning a hare has killed a hunter", right?
Why are the french always so bloodthirsty?
>>
No. 70860
148 kB, 1280 × 720
Watched Moving On a 2019 film from South Korea (it's a debut for the director). I have to say getting Mubi wasn't a bad decision, I've seen more films than I'm mentioning here and it's quite nice to watch a few movies per week of that kind.
Moving On was a rather good one. A family moves to grandpas house for summer, the aunt is coming over as well. It is a slow family portrait, nothing out of order, really many things in this movie feel relatable as long as you have another sibling at least and aren't at war with your family. A coming of age for the daughter, the son yet 'unbothered', the problems of father and aunt in their relationships and working life, and even the old man, they all are portrayed with a banal, yet touching honesty of what life brings with it. Not to forget the summer atmosphere in this film seems to slip through the screen at times. Cozy!

>>70851
She has a sweet voice, I was wondering if she took training for the movie, but maybe she had that skill already.
>>
No. 70862
87 kB, 720 × 1033
71 kB, 720 × 1033
44 kB, 720 × 1033
Super kiitos. I can't judge for your links inse I have only seen its trailers, synopsis or pictures based on your magnificent links, but at first sight seem quite like the Scandi series, please excuse my total crudeness. It's related to a theory of mine that with the damn globalization everything is more similar. Anyway I keep all the info kiitos again.

You know? The issue is that I watched some Spede and I had that feeling that I have watching certain stuff from other countries, something unique, something that I can relate to the national spirit, go figure. I recall another Finnish person telling in a Spede episode "see? In this scene they are mocking the German police TV shows we aired in our TV". Who knows? Perhaps a Finnish police TV show from the 80s will be something absolutely orgasmic. I made this savage connection.

Have this silly PB comic based in another personal experience with a Swede I know. The first text says "fugging Swedes fugging 'The bridge'(*) Putting grey filters everywhere". It reads like shit because it was made with a smartphone. The rhythm of the story has some problems.

(*) A famous TV series that for what I know, could be even Danish
>>
No. 70864
>>70862
Ole hyvä!

>at first sight seem quite like the Scandi series [...] theory of mine that with the damn globalization everything is more similar
If I had to guess, the Finnish directors are just trying to replicate that modern "nordic noir" style that has gotten some international interest. So yeah, globalization I guess. It's probably very difficult to get decent funding to make a series for the tiny domestic market specifically. Sad.

>Perhaps a Finnish police TV show from the 80s will be something absolutely orgasmic.
Perhaps, perhaps. Unfortunately I know very little of Finnish TV or movies. But I tried looking at some more things that might be more of interest for you:

Poliisijuttu (Police Case) - Late 80s police series as far as I can tell.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0940639

Raid - Police TV series, also a movie exists. I think it was very popular. 2000s
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229924/

Inspector Palmu (Komisario Palmu) - several B&W films made in 60s, very famous here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Palmu

Kiimaiset poliisit (Officers in heat :D) - I had to include this because I accidentally ran into it and saw the director's description of the series: "A domestic police series as punishment for Finnish people for worshiping foreign police series." Apparently there was a some kind of a question drafted by some MPs to the parliament suggesting that the series was ruining the reputation of the police.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251517/

Realistically I think you might be able to find Raid and Inspector Palmu movies with English subtitles at least. No idea from where though. For the rest, unlikely. Very relatable comic! Could as well replace "Sweden" with "Nordics" :D
>>
No. 70990
92 kB, 1920 × 1080
134 kB, 1920 × 804
Since it was part of the South Korea series and only available for a short time I did decide on Beasts that cling to the Straw from 2020. What a great movie! Basically an episode thriller, we start out with several characters' lives and stories and step by step the confusion of the beginning resolves and makes a fulminant circle at the end that puts a nice finish to this film. It all revolves around debt and needing money, it is a constant in all characters stories and it all is bundled together, sometimes a cascade of owing debt. I'm too lazy for a detailed description as this would need probably several paragraphs. If you enjoy thrillers/criminal underground films with good comedy elements and episodic (that is several stories intersecting yet being displays separated) narration, this one is for you. I was really well entertained by the narration and its bundling. Especially one thinks oh this could be the end but no, you forgot that possible layer.
The ugly but well-known Louis Vuitton bag is the central object, the debt circulator.
>>
No. 71322 Kontra
159 kB, 1920 × 1036
128 kB, 1920 × 1036
155 kB, 1920 × 1036
God I hated this so much. Worst thing I've seen in a good while.
>>
No. 71323 Kontra
174 kB, 1920 × 798
230 kB, 1920 × 800
171 kB, 1920 × 800
170 kB, 1920 × 800
On a more positive note, this and the sequel were a great (re)watch. Pure popcorn cinema with some funny writing though it's ofc to a large extent carried by Cage's performance.
>>
No. 71455
15 kB, 480 × 360
>>70864
Thank you very much for your very detailed reply, it has been very helpful. It's all I needed.

Regarding what you told about the grey scenery in Nordic countries, I am really dumbfounded and my ignorance exceeds no limits. I only knew about grey grey grey in Belgium, look at my ignorance and marvel! I thought that OK, is very cold, but that you had a remarkable days of sunshine and colour under that cold.

>Ole hyvä!
<3 <3 <3

What I watched the other day was this Poirot episode "The mystery of the Spanish chest" which is the one that has two memorable Poirot quotes, which the one I like the most is "Poirot will be the most humble person in the world!". Very philosophical. I have to read this Christie's book, I want to understand more Poirot and I want to know if the mystery is the same crude as in the TV show
>>
No. 71500
>>71322
Are you another german than e.g. >>67696 or >>67698 etc.?
Because if not, I must make the interesting observation that our tastes are not as similar as I thought, because I liked Her.
The only thing that prevented me from really liking it was that they made a film about the Singularity and it was a romance.
>>
No. 71502
>>71323
Hell yeah, these movies hit so fucken hard.
>>
No. 72021
40 kB, 960 × 540
Ernst, it's happening. Only 4 more days. Are you ready to watch the first half of Season 6 and then wait 3 or 4 month for the second half?

I rewatched the whole show in the last few weeks. There aren't many spin-off shows as good as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_55cKycdA
>>
No. 72047
477 kB, 1200 × 671
>>72021
Now that season 6 is going live, Netflix finally added season 5. 3 episodes in, going to finish that and then on to the new ones.
>>
No. 72048
79 kB, 1024 × 616
Watched Hundstage/Dog Days (2001) Hundstage in general I found out is used to signify the hot days in Europe during summer. It's an Episode film. A psychologically conspicuous woman that tramps all day and talks to their vehicle hosts, an old man and his cleaning lady, a young couple, a couple that lost their child and that is not together anymore, an older couple and a young man, a home security adviser and maybe I forgot somebody. Their lives not necessarily interact, but some of them do. It takes place on two hot summer days in suburbian Austria too great are the depcitions of rows of commerce outside town you can find in Germany as well, the tramper is singing adverts to their hosts many times and is full of violence and sex. Both seem to work as discharge for the frustrated figures of this film. Love seems absent, is overpowered by sex (and violence).

A good watch, especially if you are from Asutria or Germany, the summer as sort of back-breaking is felt. It really is like you can sense the smell when seeing the pictures.
>>
No. 72164
69 kB, 1280 × 692
76 kB, 1280 × 692
80 kB, 1280 × 692
83 kB, 1280 × 692
One night Caleb, a good-natured country boy, meets Mae, a weird but attractive girl, and he tries to become closer with her. She seems hesitant though, and after his advances lead nowhere, Caleb asks for at least one kiss. Mae does give him a "kiss" that completely changes Caleb's life. He gets kidnapped by Mae's "family" and now has to learn to kill in order to survive.

A very good vampire movie in a somewhat unusual setting — rural US, in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas. Vampires in the movie are relentlessly brutal and almost completely devoid of empathy, and thankfully the romance aspect is very subdued. The main theme is humanity and how fast can you lose it in order to stay alive (or rather, undead), and so instead of being elegant and seductive creatures of the night, the vampire family is just a bunch of aggressive hicks roaming the country, stealing cars, killing people and just having a real good time. Their characters and the actors' performances reflect that, and while Lance Henriksen nailing the role of a creepy fucked-up villain was to be expected, Bill Paxton managing to pretty much outdo him was a pleasant surprise for me. Visuals and cinematography are also top-notch, and the soundtrack is perfect for the dark and tense atmosphere of the film (although I may be a little biased on that, because I just love Tangerine Dream and would appreciate it in any movie).

The only thing I didn't like was how easy it is to cure vampirism in the setting. It undermines the movie's brutality somewhat, and as a result leads to a happy and almost idyllic ending. Other than that it's a great movie and easily one of the best vampire movies I've seen.
>>
No. 72166
>>72164
Thanks for the recommendation man, I'll watch that tonight.

I'd like to give back, so here is a possibly relevant recommendation: Another film about vampires, but with a more serious tone and a very unusual setting, called "Bakjwi" (engl. Thirst).
A priest in South Korea gets infected with vampirism, which lets him re-animate after dying. This causes not just the obvious problems of conflict with his faith in God, but also unleashes all kinds of carnal desires that he tries to come to terms with. He tells himself it's probably a good thing to save a girls life, even if that means infecting her - but he is also full of doubt.
(Un)naturally things spiral out of control as time goes on.

The tone of the film is rather serious and dramatic, but the film allows itself sudden outbursts of violence and/or sex; not unlike other films of Park Chan-Wook, though it is much less violent than Oldboy, Lady Vengance etc. It should be no surprise that every frame of this film is carefully composed, like a painting, and the editing has a rhythm with a trance-like quality.

Overall I'd say it's the most interesting vampire film I've seen, because it's so different in almost any aspect. Warmly recommended.

Hard to believe today that I watched this in the cinema in 2009, but I did. Man, I miss living in a city with a proper choice of cinemas.
>>
No. 72167 Kontra
1,8 MB, 1920 × 816
2,2 MB, 1920 × 816
1,9 MB, 1920 × 816
1,6 MB, 1920 × 816
>>72166
Forgot the screenshots.
>>
No. 72169
>>72047
>Now that season 6 is going live, Netflix finally added season 5.

Protip: Connect to the German Netflix. It's released here directly to Netflix.
I think you can do that with a VPN.
>>
No. 72171
>>72164
Boy oh boy, films really were different in the 80s.

I sure did like the atmosphere (much to do with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack).

Thant ending, though... looks like they tried to do a "happy ending" but I can't agree that it is. The girl either remains a psychopath, or she has to deal with all the things she did. Both options do not a happy ending make.
>>
No. 72174
>>72166
>>72167
Looks interesting. Might keep it for my next vampiric "wave", because I usually watch only three-four movies a month and I'm already equipped for the current "wave" with Interview with the Vampire and Only Lovers Left Alive and maybe Rockula, heh.

>>72171
>films really were different in the 80s
Well yeah, but I'm not sure exactly what do you mean concerning this particular movie. IMO, it's closer to action/thriller movies from the nineties rather than belonging to the wacky eighties pop-culture like, for example, its contemporary The Lost Boys.

>Thant ending, though...
Yep, and that's why I didn't like this whole business with blood transfusion. Mae was being developed during the course of the movie as some sort of a "nicer" vampire compared to the others: she was a vampire for only several years, so she might still be somewhat human emotionally compared to Jesse and Severen who have been around since the 19th century and who have no compassion at all; she kills somewhat reluctantly and she uses softer methods like seduction rather than shooting, stabbing or slicing; she tries to save Caleb and his little sister. So she might be worthy of redemption, but when that redemption is achieved so easily, it feels really shallow.
>>
No. 72252
29 kB, 255 × 390
127 kB, 736 × 1047
-Was nice but I got asleep in the end
-I thought it would be funnier. I got asleep in certain times.
>>
No. 72306
106 kB, 500 × 797
>>72252
ffs I got asleep again. I'm too tired. The film, ok
>>
No. 72421
199 kB, 1065 × 1500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdi5AX_Xu90 (heavy spoilers in the video though, just listen to the music imho)

Another typical Schrader, so good. Sth of a more mature Taxi Driver. Meanders a bit, but the ending and epilogue/"true ending" really make for an amazing left-right knockout finisher.
>>
No. 72471
191 kB, 1920 × 1080
201 kB, 1920 × 1080
184 kB, 1920 × 1080
166 kB, 1920 × 1080
Was somewhat wary of this one, because I've already seen the other adaptation of Anne Rice's novels — Queen of the Damned — and it was complete and utter trash, but Interview with the Vampire turned out to be okayish if a bit boring. It's obvious that it's aimed at female audiences, because, well, it's based on Anne Rice's vampire fiction, and because it involves not one, not two, but three of the Hollywood's pretty boys in major roles — Brad Pitt as Louis, main character, the vampire who tells the story of his (un)life, Tom Cruise as Lestat, the one who turned Louis, and Antonio Banderas as Armand, "the oldest living vampire" who is attracted by humanity left in Louis and wants him as a companion — doing thing of variable degrees of gayness to each other, but I nonetheless found it a decent watch. Being a period piece set in eighteenth and nineteenth century Louisiana and Paris, it features a lot of very impressive costumes and sets so it does look good, it does have a certain atmosphere although not as gripping as I would have wanted it to be, but the most enjoyable thing about it was actually Tom Cruise's performance. Brad Pitt's character was just sad and brooding the whole movie, Antonio Banderas didn't have enough screen time to make a lasting impression, and Kirsten Dunst as Claudia I just found kinda annoying, but Lestat was so flamboyant, over-the-top and darkly humorous that he pretty much carried the whole movie by himself.

So yeah, while not really the kind of a vampire movie I like it still has its merits and it's definitely not terrible, unlike its "sequel" Queen of the Damned.
>>
No. 73906
93 kB, 900 × 1324
269 kB, 1200 × 895
Whale hunter, 2020

Art house remake of Borat, basically. =D Nice looking and funny.
>>
No. 73949
156 kB, 1200 × 800
I've been watching Silicon Valley lately and it's really funny.
It's the kind of show where I'm looking forward to each character's reaction as their situation is worsening by the minute. A lot of funny background jokes, all the décor is well thought up, and overall the production quality surpasses most comic shows. I Mike Judge's writting can really be felt in the characters who manage to be dicks and likeable at the same time. I'd definitely recommand it.
>>
No. 73962
109 kB, 715 × 460
Tonight I will watch 9 Muses of Star Empire (2012) - it sounds interesting. It is a documentary on a particular new group, going into the inner workings of it all. I know nothing of kpop, beyond it's an industry that chews people up and spits them out, and having seen perfect blue years ago (maybe it's somehow similar vibe? it's about a Japanese popstar anyway).

It is available on the below link for any interested Ernsts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFt28GPi0_8

>>73906
this one seems to come up under "the whaler boy" in English - it's the same one right? the cover looks the same.

https://mubi.com/films/the-whaler-boy/trailer

It seems ebin - I have added it to my watchlist for top priority.
>>
No. 73964
>>73962
I have concers about the legitimacy of that documetary. It seems to be made with the consent of the label and as such I would expect it to be somewhere between censored documentary and plain propaganda.

But do tell after watching, I might be wrong.
>>
No. 73966
>>73964
It didn't seem to paint the most flattering picture of the industry, but it definitely wasn't trying to do anything groundbreaking.

Ie, there were sections relating to them having back-up girls ready and trained to replace any who misbehaved, and a few replacements were put in. Some very cutting words from management (they're too ugly to be successful, they're all shit singers, she put on 1kg so is therefore obese and off the team), etc.

Generally you got the impression that everyone was replaceable, and it's all about the image. Half the girls had that weird alien look that's only possible after jaw-bone shaving surgery too. The only girl who was both naturally pretty and capable of singing, was consistently bullied throughout.

I mean, it wasn't bad, but I do feel it was a sanitised version of the truth. I rated 3/5. Wouldn't watch again, but don't regret it.
>>
No. 73974
>>73962
Yes, it's the same. And also "Kitoboy" which is transliteration of word "whale-killer" to Latin alphabet.
>>
No. 73978
787 kB, 1200 × 500
Just watched Corniche Kennedy from 2016, a French film based on a novel of the same title. It was ok. Story is about a rich girl getting into a group of lower class french youth that jumps from high cliffs into the water Corniche Kennedy is such a place, is exist in RL and the shots were taken there; at least their days revolve around that and ofc hanging around, strolling around. It's also a love triangle story and a coming-of-age in a way. And a police officer trying to get a gangster one of the youth is working for as driver/delivery courier is also part of the story. So all that was ok, not bad but also not out of the ordinary but what was really beautiful about this film is the scenic shots of Marseilles and the town at day and night, the perfect Mediterranean feeling, reminded me of holidays when I was very young and my parents took me two Mediterranean France twice, the film is elevated by the scenery, not by the story that was not bad but didn't invest me as much. I think the love triangle was done rather well though, maybe that could also be noted positively.
>>
No. 74052
127 kB, 1280 × 720
136 kB, 1280 × 720
2019 German production, Giraffe
Lovely film in the tradition of the Berlin School I'd say. Realism with many many scenic shots of nature, infrastructure and transportation, generally the theme of mobility. The story revolves around an ethnographer that documents a place in Denmark (Lolland) that will be turned into the area of a tunnel connecting Germany and Denmark. This Tunnel will actually be built or is already in construction, according to Wikipedia since 2021. So the film is about a fictional ethnographer, but also a sort of real ethnography (of both danish people and polish workers). Another theme is labor mobility and what that means for social and love relationships. The protagonist is living in Berlin (but Norwegian I think), doing work in Denmark. There construction workers from Poland lay fiber optic cable for the construction workers for the tunnel. She mets one of the workers and is having an affair with him.
The film touches upon many broad topics in the end. The shots are great I love those type of movies. Very calm, not so much dialog nor music, but great pictures and the sparse dialog is on point, always enough, nothing more to be said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teE0tKQ7pCg
>>
No. 74456
A 2009 documentary from France, Time of the Gifts. It deals with agriculture in France. Farmers, retired farmers, agronomic experts and some others are interviewed. It covers the state of agriculture in France, soil depletion and strategies to recover soil, also how agricultural modernization (mechanical machinery, fertilizer, herb- and pesticides, genetic engineering and how they combine) after WW2 got France into that situation and which is a worldwide phenomenon, first the west later the third world (the "green revolution" and its failure basically). And what that modernization did to the landscape and social infrastructure. We get ecological perspectives that are put up against a market/profit goal. Also, beautiful pictures as expected from such a documentary. Makes me want to go to France and look over grains fields that cover the whole horizon, swept by the wind, hearing the noise it generates and the clouds that cast their shadows in a quick movement.

The documentary seems to be so unknown that there barely exist any pictures on the internet it seems, so have a trailer instead (it has the windswept grain fields in it!)
https://mubi.com/films/time-of-the-gifts/trailer
>>
No. 74470
128 kB, 1296 × 1080
110 kB, 1296 × 1080
116 kB, 1296 × 1080
144 kB, 1296 × 1080
An artsy-fartsy (quite literally fartsy :-DDDDDDD) thriller/horror/dark comedy about two lighthouse keepers — Thomas Wake (Willem Dafoe) and Ephraim Winslow but actually Thomas Howard (Robert Pattinson) — stranded in a lighthouse. The story mostly consists of Wake being crazy and Winslow becoming crazy, and the film is actually carried solely by the actors' performances. As a matter of fact, Dafoe's brilliant performance as the "old sea dog" (probably; there's no way to know if he's telling the truth about his career on the sea) Wake is the main reason to watch this movie, although I have to say that Pattinson definitely wasn't a slouch either. The movie itself is just a slightly spooky, slightly surreal, slightly atmospheric and slightly humorous thriller that sorta tries to invoke some David Lynch and Ingmar Bergman, but plays it really safe. I enjoyed it, but I only consider it good, not great.
>>
No. 74567
133 kB, 1200 × 629
72 kB, 850 × 534
83 kB, 850 × 534
A Danish film from 2017, Winter Brothers
Great film. It becomes gradually more surreal but also difficult to decipher as the narrative loses linearity and gaps appear and increase, reality and imagination/surrealism blur indifferently. Like lost in a winter storm or below ground orientation is hardly possible and then it's over already (might be a life analogy).
A film set is a lime works (has nothing to do with Thomas Bernhard as I was expecting at first) and it is centered around one of two brothers who is making alcohol from stolen chemicals and selling it to his colleagues. The title might suggest that brothers is not meant only as a family relationship but concerns the male circle that these workers in the lime work form. A comment on mubi points to the right direction I think, the film is about masculinity in a sense. Mine working, competition, alcohol, fights visible penises :DD, impressing women, military the M1 has a special appearance, brotherhood in the double sense as mentioned before, guilt, risk, failure, death and violence. All of those are framed in stunning pictures that only stress the themes and the loose narrative. So while this is certainly a film about male gender, I can highly recommend it to men who don't want to hear about gender, because the film does it well without what one is used to hear on the internet about it, the film of course is also not some alpha male speech celebrating the male gender as superior, but I think in what simply is of "concern" to it, there is not much choice in a way, whether that is good or bad.
>>
No. 76539
660 kB, 1080 × 1350
74 kB, 960 × 672
60 kB, 850 × 562
Clerks 3 is going to be a thing.
I loved Clerks. Great movie with some of the best dialog ever written in a comedy movie.
Part 2 was kinda meh. Can't imagine Part 3 to not be way worse than 2 was.
Kevin Smith seems to be a massive cunt as well these days and he looks creepy af. I think his head is too small for his body.
>>
No. 76568
107 kB, 960 × 540
115 kB, 1920 × 1080
202 kB, 1916 × 1080
104 kB, 1920 × 1080
>>76539
It's probably gonna suck so bad. He's been putting out terrible stuff for a while, and even rewatching Clerks recently I feel like the humor didn't age that well.
>>
No. 76571
34 kB, 895 × 585
>>76568
Just looked at his filmography and the movies i like of him are literally the first 5 he made.
After that i disliked them or wasn't interested enough to actually watch.
>>
No. 76604
170 kB, 1000 × 1250
A great action movie from Malaysia. The excellent filmography and choreographies (led by a choreographer from John Wick !) contrasts with a ridiculous fight club knock-off scenario and the theatrical overplay from the actors. I had a few sincere good laughs and genuinely enjoyed the action scenes. Sorry for the phone filename. I don’t have access to my computer.
>>
No. 76643
410 kB, 1920 × 1080
303 kB, 1920 × 1080
270 kB, 1920 × 1080
301 kB, 1920 × 1080
An American rock 'n' roll star Nick Rivers (Val Kilmer) was going to perform on a cultural festival in East Germany, but ended up in the middle of a spy plot to prevent the destroying of the whole NATO submarine fleet with a new secret Wunderwaffe — the Polaris mine — being developed by Dr. Paul Flammond, a French scientist being held imprisoned against his will. After Nick antagonized the East German government to the point that they want to execute him, he has no choice but to cooperate with the French Resistance and Hillary Flammond, Dr. Flammond's daughter, in order to make out of the East Germany alive.

Well, it's a spoof of spy flicks by Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker, and it features their signature style of humor involving visual puns, dialogues veering into unexpected directions and ridiculous, bordering on absurd jokes, so if you've seen any other movie by ZAZ, you more or less know what to expect. By extension, if you don't enjoy this kind of humor, you'll find the movie utterly shitty and retarded (and the movie itself acknowledges that), but if you found Airplane! or Hot Shots! funny (like I did), you're gonna like this one too. Besides the usual ZAZ repertoire, there are also pretty impressive parodies of Elvis Presley and Beach Boys songs by Val Kilmer, which further exacerbate the ongoing idiocy with their lyrics ("Skeet Surfing", "Straighten The Rug"). So, in conclusion, it's a fairly decent watch, but other films by ZAZ might be a bit funnier.