/int/ – No shittings during wörktime
„There is no place like home“

File (max. 4)
Return to
(optional)
  • Allowed file extensions (max. size 25 MB or specified)
    Images:  BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, PSD   Videos:  FLV, MP4, WEBM  
    Archives:  7Z, RAR, ZIP   Audio:  FLAC, MP3, OGG, OPUS  
    Documents:  DJVU (50 MB), EPUB, MOBI, PDF (50 MB)  
  • Please read the Rules before posting.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the Guide to Anonymous Posting.

No. 7696
471 kB, 2272 × 1704
I think this topic is interesting for Ernsts, considering pretty vivid discussion that happened in Today thread.
From recent news: Durov's Telegram now collaborates with secret services except Russian, because the resistance continues.
>>
No. 7715
>>7696
I readed some thoughts that he worked with pootine from start and all this just meh-tier cover and FSB read telegramm since time of it's creation.
>>
No. 7755
I don't know if it's an appropriate thread, but I want to share this web browser demo:
http://www.deadliners.net/68000Reasons/
>>
No. 7756
If you collaborate with secret services you aren't resistance, what the fuck.
>>
No. 7757
>>7756
Because ebil FSB threatens liberty of speech, unlike good CIA, NSA or MI-6.
>>
No. 7758
>>7755
This seems to be the worst web browser ever. Thanks for the demonstration.
>>
No. 7778
>>7757
Whomever encourages you to speak freely is trying to learn something about you. This is the apex and crux of the entire freeze peach meme in the USA for the past several decades.
And nobody seems to get it. Even though it is entirely self-evident that a large portion of the entities promoting free speech do not have a genuine interest in its philosophical value.
>>
No. 8619
93 kB, 500 × 739
Do you have programs you like to use their old versions?
For me, Skype was a lot better earlier (or it wasn't that bad as it is now), and I try to use the version as old as possible.
>>
No. 8620
>>8619
I still using Windows 7.
I not using skype for like 2 years or so
>>
No. 9386
Very ebin code for ebin drawing in MetaPost:
https://habr.com/post/423571/
(You can just open spoilers under images to see examples code)
You can see the full code on Github:
https://github.com/jemmybutton/fiziko
>>
No. 10737
>>
No. 10742
149 kB, 500 × 500
>>10737
If surveillance is unavoidable, why worry?
Ultimately I really did stop worrying and began loving the botnet. Although I suppose this is in great part due to the incompetency of Portuguese authorities.
>>
No. 10754
>>10742
>If surveillance is unavoidable, why worry?

Worry or not, fight it nonetheless. Fighting an established system is one way to find purpose and stay motivated. It's a struggle with the potential to give hope while allowing for a just self-image. It's also the right thing to do.
>>
No. 10758
44 kB, 427 × 505
>>9386
This is incredible, it is the most anti computer drawing made by a computer I've seen in a very long time
>>
No. 11305
It's so cool to read about emulators:
https://floooh.github.io/2018/10/06/bombjack.html
>>
No. 11371
63 kB, 1024 × 1024
>>11305
Very interesting, now the trash that appears when you boot R-Type arcade makes sense. It's the same stuff like this, but in colour
>>
No. 11790
100 kB, 768 × 900
Fresh update of Dollchan breaks EC.
r8
>>
No. 11814
4 kB, 271 × 49
>>11790
It was fast.
>>
No. 11917
>IBM is buyng Red Hat

Shit shit shit shit. I guess it's finally time to ditch SystemD. But what do I use now if I can't use Arch anymore? VoidLinux?
Or maybe fork Arch and replace SystemD with runit as init-system?
>>
No. 11920
>>11917
Try Devuan, it's Debian with systemd ditched out.
>>11918
DoD optimises management costs.
>>
No. 11924
>>11917
Slackware, maybe Salix
>>
No. 11927
>>11917
Mx17, comes with systemd installed but deactivated by default

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd
>>
No. 11947
>>11927
Interesting. Never heard about this distro. Not really my cup of tea though, as I like to have the most minimal setup possible for what I want to do with any particular system. Especially for my servers.
>>
No. 12132
1,5 MB, 288 × 198, 0:08
Are there full-featured graphic editors on Android?Not ones with photoeffects for Instagram, but something akin to Paint.NET or at least usual Paint?
>>
No. 12133
>>12132
Can you install Appimage or Flatpak containers on Android? In that case, you could try if Krita works.
>>
No. 12173
>>12133
Isn't Krita rather a drawing tool than a picture editor?
>>
No. 12226
https://getaether.net/ - It's like a mix between Imageboards and Reddit.

Let's see how this one turns out
>>
No. 12256
>>12226
So that's shitpost-discord?
Sadly seems like.
>>
No. 12269
>>12226
>Aether is a decentralised, peer to peer network. Your data does not live in any specific computer, but in the void between them. (Hence the name Aether).
>When you create a community on Aether, Itโ€™s not on X, Y, Z service, itโ€™s on the Internet itself. Aether is a protocol like email, so long as there are apps talking Aetherโ€™s protocol, it will continue to exist.
Pffft, Fidonet has been here for a long time.
>>
No. 12270
>>12269
Dead since 2000 as far as I know.
>>
No. 12275
>>12270
This software seems for me as another reinvention of the wheel anyway. Look, it's electron'd and material design'd, it might be cool!
>Dead since 2000 as far as I know.
Russian segment is pretty alive. I'd say, it may be more vivid than the whole EC.
>>
No. 12288
>>12275
>Electron'd
>material design

I have developed haetenings for these over the past three years :<
>>
No. 12290
>>7696
>From recent news: Durov's Telegram now collaborates with secret services except Russian, because the resistance continues.

Please post more about this.
>>
No. 12291
>>12290
https://t.me/durov_russia/10
This summer, we created Telegramโ€™s full privacy policy to comply with new European laws on the protection of personal data.
In the privacy policy, we reserved the right to transfer the IP address and telephone number of terrorists to the appropriate services by a court decision. Regardless of whether we will ever exercise this right, such a measure should make Telegram a less attractive platform for those who are engaged in sending out terrorist propaganda here.
Can this change lead to the cessation of attempts to block Telegram in Russia? I think not - for two reasons:
  1. In Russia, Telegram does not require the number and IP address of terrorists by a court decision, but something fundamentally different - access to messages, and all users.
  2. Telegram in Russia is outside the law; Every day hundreds of IP addresses are blocked in an attempt to prevent access to the service. In this regard, we do not consider any appeals from the Russian services, and our privacy policy does not apply to the situation in Russia.
Therefore, we continue to resist.
>>
No. 13289
Just stumbled upon this quality description of one of the fundamental concepts of every proper OS:
https://www.svbug.com/documentation/comp.unix.programmer-FAQ/faq_2.html

It's archived from an old usenet thread.

Related is the definition of what a daemon is (found on the man page of daemonize): https://linux.die.net/man/1/daemonize

I've never actually thought about how daemons could be defined, it was just an intuitive understanding. Reading that definition produced lots of endorphins just now.
>>
No. 14004
I want to learn C but I hate the syntax.
>>
No. 14005
>>14004
Bad news: C-like syntax is widely used by many popular languages.
>>
No. 14008
>>14005
It would be tolerable if not for type declarations.
I was googling about type declaration syntax, and came across a discussion on why newer languages adopted a postfix type declaration.

One of the arguments against the way C does it was this:
void (*signal(int, void (*fp)(int)))(int)

what the fuck.
>>
No. 14013
>>14008
>void (*signal(int, void (*fp)(int)))(int)

That's a function pointer to a function that taks another function pointer as argument. You will most likely never come across such a beast in real code.

Even regular function pointers are rare enough that you can get around them if you want. Though they are honestly not that bad.

If you programm C long enough the thing that might bother you is the ugliness of the preprocessor macros that you have to use if you want anything resembling templatisation.

But you aren't wrong to criticise the type syntax. 1970 was a long time ago and back then people didn't have much experience with higher level syntax. Now we know that slight changes like postfix typisation can be much cleaner to read. But it's also out of proportion how much some people obsess about this. Writing C isn't terrible because of it, you know. I write C every day and it's mostly enjoyable. It still happens to me after many years that I suddenly realize why something is the way it is and it's pretty much always due to the language being very elegant at it's core. There are no quirks that actually make programming in C a bad experience. After all, the most important and wide spread pieces of software are written in C and there is no reason why this would change anytime soon.
>>
No. 14015
>>14013
>That's a function pointer to a function that taks another function pointer as argument.
And what the last (int) is about then?
>>
No. 14018
>>14015

You got me, I overlooked that part because I was cooking and only half-eyed the screen. Now that I've eaten let me do it right.

The (int) at the end is the part of the declaration specifying the argument of the outermost function. So what you have is a function 'signal' that takes two arguments A and B and returns a pointer to a function F.

signal := f(A,B) -> F

>signal is a function that takes A and B and returns F.
>A is just an int.
>B is a function pointer with the following signature: void B(int);
>F is a function that takes an int and returns void.

You could (and should) write this using typedefs to simplify reading it. Better yet, just don't do this in the first place.
>>
No. 14019
>>14018
Oi, I knew I've seen this somewhere before, it's a rather popular example to scare beginners: http://c-faq.com/decl/spiral.anderson.html
>>
No. 14067
>>14013
I started programming with Python. Languages who look like C just disgust me. I use some though.
>>
No. 14072
>>14067
>there indentation errors
Gott strafe Guido
>>
No. 14078
>>14072
I think it's much more elegant than {
;
;
;
;
;
; }
tbh.

Although I dislike python for other reasons. Too many layers of abstraction and obfuscation, despite the meme that python is a good beginner language, most things you learn in python are not applicable to other languages or programming in general, since the python way(tm) is like ten layers of abstraction away from what you do in other languages.
>>
No. 14079
>>14078
Elegance is undeniable. I just think this elegance could have been more practical.
>>
No. 14109
>>14078
You notice a beginner programmer by how much they talk about syntax being good or bad for a particular language.

In my experience the worst enemy of a programmer is an opinion.

Just lean C without too much complaining and it will be fine and fun. Incidentally, why did you want to learn how to programm in the first place? I know you as someone who does things for interesting reasons, so I'm curious.
>>
No. 14131
1,4 MB, 512 × 256, 0:04
350 kB, 476 × 416, 0:05
>>14109
I think syntax is more important than people give it credit for. It's the interface between the user and the underlaying systems, and like any interface, screwing it up can lead to improper use of the system. Some syntax can highlight potential bugs and problems and make them more obvious, other can obfuscate them.

But the real reason I don't like C syntax is because I'm a WIRTH GANGER
Strong typing and pass by reference, not pointer arithmetic and segfault ok

>why did you want to learn how to programm in the first place?
I want to learn the basics of graphics programming so I can programmatically generated, animated art. Something like motion design + programming, but directly through a graphics engine instead of software. In general, I'm interested in computer graphics. And demoscenes.

For example, I made pic related in photoshop, the text and background are two offset meshes, and the rainbow effect is achieved through moire patterns from bi-linear filtering + rotation. It was a pain to do in photoshop, but with a graphics library, it'd be a couple function calls. And I'd be able to make various real time changes on the fly.

And here's an ascii triangle rasterizer I wrote in Pascal during my previous foray into programming :^)
It's really broken on windows 10 for some reason.
>>
No. 14132
>>14131
I too believe the syntax is important. I generally agree with Jonathan Blow on why syntax matters, I believe he talks about it in this video (or one of the following): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ&list=PLmV5I2fxaiCKfxMBrNsU1kgKJXD3PkyxO

But that is not what I meant in my post. It is my experience that I (and others I know) have stopped obsessing about syntax more and more with increasing skill and experience.
I dug up a blog post I read many years ago that I vaguely remember talking about this destinction: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2005/05/11/making-wrong-code-look-wrong/

>>14131
>I want to learn the basics of graphics programming so I can programmatically generated, animated art.

That's a good reason to learn this stuff. I've been to a few demo parties and I have learned graphics programming with OpenGL and GLSL. Currently I'm finding my way back into it after a longer pause. If you want, I can give you a few pointers in the right direction and provide you with the best tutorials I have come across.
>>
No. 14143
>>14132
I think it's a matter of getting used to it and moving on.
I've been using photoshop for 10 years now (ever since I got into reskinning source games when I was 13), and can work in it without being distracted, but by god that program has a lot of weird little annoyances that I had to learn to work myself around of.

Also, I'd be grateful to see some nice resources for C. I've got a slew of pascal related and general graphics related resources, but I'm sure they're out of date by now, and it never hurts to share knowledge.

Also, the reason I want to learn C now is because everything about it seems simple and to the point. Not necessarily elegant, but simple. Also, I'm thinking of making a programming portfolio and finding a codemonkey job, so I can quit being kicked around by my brother :-DDDDD
>>
No. 14149
>>14143
Try SDL 2, they say it's easy for C.
>>
No. 14151
>>14149
SDL2 is okay, but if you want to be closer to the source and without bloat, GLFW[1] is really the best choice.

>>14143
Don't have much time right now, but I wanted to quickly recommend Zachs "Learning C the hard way" - unfortunately it seems that he took it offline and is now selling it.
The next thing I can recommend from the top of my head is "Beejs guide to network programming", just search for it.
I'll come back with more recommendations after diner.

[1] https://www.glfw.org/docs/latest/quick_guide.html
>>
No. 14154
>>14151
Alright, here is the link to beejs guide:
Network programming: https://beej.us/guide/bgnet/
C: http://beej.us/guide/bgc/

The guide to network programming is good for learning C with practical examples that present many good ideas from the UNIX world that stood the test of time. Think of it as "Learning how to work with a brush by using it to paint layered light the way Caravaggio did" - you get valuable inspiration for free.
>>
No. 14156
>>14154
For graphics programming there was a really good guide that I can't remember the name of anymore right now. I'll post it if I find it again.

There is another guide that is worth mentioning and that is https://open.gl/
This one is pretty good for reading things up a second time because it is very concise. But it doesn't do a good job explaining the core concepts to a beginner, imho.

For select topics I can recommend https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming

As a general starting tip I can give a few guide lines:
  • Ignore DirectX/D3D
  • Don't start with Vulkan, you can tackle that after having used OpenGL for a while
  • Do not follow any guides for OpenGL < 3.2, ideally you should start with OpenGL 3.3 + GLSL 330 or OpenGL 3.2 + GLSL 150
  • OpenGL before 3.1 is entirely deprecated, there was a complete overhaul in 3.0 and all the cruft was thrown out in 3.1, which is why you should use 3.2 or 3.3, which represent the cleanest modern versions
  • OpenGL 4+ is entirely the same as OpenGL 3.3 but with more stuff, so you can simply learn the new additions after having learned 3.3
  • Most guides will use C++, but I recommend you learn C first (eg. using Beejs guides) and then translate the guides from C++ to C. This won't be much of a problem because none of the OpenGL guides I know is using any advanced C++ features that would be difficult to translate to C. To follow the guides you will hardly need more than arrays in terms of data structures, for example.
>>
No. 14158
>>14156
Aaaand I just found the guide I could not remember before: https://paroj.github.io/gltut/Basics/Basics.html

This should be your starting point for serious graphics programming after having grasped the fundamentals of C programming.

If you have specific questions, just ask here and I'll try my best to answer them.
>>
No. 14166
>>14156
>Do not follow any guides for OpenGL < 3.2
Learned this on my own ass a couple years ago, when there weren't that many fresh opengl tutorials. Just pages upon pages of documentation and "what's different from < 3.2".
Also implementing all of that in another language :-DDD

Thanks dude.

Also, I wanted to try writing a software renderer for a start, just to learn all of the steps in the pipeline, including triangulation and rasterisation. It's interesting to me on a conceptual level.
>>
No. 14173
>>14166
In that case you will need a bunch of linear algebra as background. Well, maybe not "need", but... okay story time:

Back in the olden days nobody had figured out the "correct" way to render 3D graphics and a bunch of different approaches were flying around. From raytracing used by Pixar, to portal based ray marching used by Id for Wolfenstein and Doom to voxel rendering, curved surface building, distance fields, infinite planes and so forth.
But there was one aproach that was in its nature stricly tied to a well known field of math and that was the polygon based rasterizer. In effect every single computation could be expressed through a single vector operation and vectors were something that was well understood.
Note here that a vector is not (x, y, z) etc, a vector is an element of a vector space and you need the definition of a vector space to know what a vector is. For example: Three real numbers are a vector in R^3, but a 3x3 matrix is also a vector in the vector space over 3x3 matrices. In fact, functions (as you know them from calculus) are vectors. And the set of all possible concatenations of functions is again a vector space where a vector consists of concatenations of functions.

To understand why everything in 3D graphics today is a vector operation is to understand that the approach lends itself very well to abstraction. And if you can abstract things enough such that almost every entity in your calculation can be treated as a vector, you can separate the computation of almost everything from each other, allowing a hyperparallel approach. And that is the point where polygonal rasterizers turned out to be the winner over all other techniques, at least for real time computation.

The first graphics cards were developed that allowed parallel transformation of hundreds of vertices and parallel depth tests for hundreds of pixels. At the beginning there was no unified API to talk to these cards and shit was messy. Then OpenGL, originally developed to be a fun project for learning how software renderers worked, was recognized as some sort of industry wide accepted API. Long before DirectX, mind you.

Now the combination of the APIs (OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan, ...) with the GPUs presents the fastest and most stable aproach to hyperparallel linear algebra computation.

To get a better understanding of the mathematical backgrounds I can highly recommend the videos from 3blue1brown called The Essence of Linear Algebra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNk_zzaMoSs&list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab

Then, for the combination of that knowledge with 3D graphics, there is a good introduction by the developers of the Godot engine: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/math/vector_math.html

And now excuse me, I feel the strong urge to continue working on my own engine :3
>>
No. 14176
๐•ฒ๐–”๐–™๐–™ ๐•พ๐–™๐–—๐–†๐–‹๐–Š ๐•ท๐–†๐–‡๐–๐–Ž๐–Š๐–œ
Er Strafe es.
>>
No. 14767
https://hackaday.io/project/3680-exembler
Can any Hungary poster translate the file of this project? This Excel file seems to be a computer simulator.
>>
No. 14773
>>14767
It has a dedicated Hungarian to English tab by the looks of it. (Under "Language_tab")
The commands themselves are in the sheet called "Utasรญtรกskรฉszlet" or "Set of Commands"

Honestly, I have no idea otherwise what this is, and what is its function.